F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Lease return, when are you "off the hook" officially

07-02-2016, 10:25 AM   #1
themush1326
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

Lease return, when are you "off the hook" officially

I have lease a few cars but always ended up getting another brand
On a trade in, so I never had to deal with it.

When you turn in the car are you assessed damages,(if any) right then and there or are you sent a bill for a TBD amount?

What I don't want is yo buy a new car and then be sent a bill?
I can't really find any info on this, all the info I find us about what constitutes damage

Thanks

Themush
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 01:07 PM   #2
XRAVE
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush1326
I have lease a few cars but always ended up getting another brand
On a trade in, so I never had to deal with it.

When you turn in the car are you assessed damages,(if any) right then and there or are you sent a bill for a TBD amount?

What I don't want is yo buy a new car and then be sent a bill?
I can't really find any info on this, all the info I find us about what constitutes damage

Thanks

Themush
They will do an inspection and give you an estimate. Don't pay on the spot because the real inspection done later doesn't always catch everything.

It's normally negotiable
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 06:35 PM   #3
themush1326
Private
Rep

So after the real inspection do they tell you an amount or do you get a bill at a later date
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 09:09 PM   #4
dwalls90
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush1326 View Post
So after the real inspection do they tell you an amount or do you get a bill at a later date
I can only speak to my experience and can tell you what I've heard.

From my experience, my current lease was rather banged up if I'm being honest. Some curb rash, some door dings, a small dent in the door that wouldn't be too difficult to fix, etc. Since I was ordering a MY16 and the dealer wanted to get them off the lot as the MY17's are coming out, and I was going from an old lease to new one, the dealer was willing to work for me. I still got 9% off MSRP before incentives, and at the time of ordering the vehicle, was told they would "take care of it." Granted, I take ownership of the lease before next Friday, so they could change their story, but as I have it in an email, I would walk away should they go back on their word. This would be shitty business and I haven't heard of this happening.

What I've heard, is that each dealer is different, and only has to bend as much as they'd like in this regard. BMWFS is the one that would really send you a bill, if the dealership in which you returned it too, elected to go that route. You really are going to be held 100% accountable for anything fine printed in the lease, if you're returning the vehicle and not getting into another lease. That's because BMW cant make a business argument that you're a continuing customer.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 09:40 PM   #5
XRAVE
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush1326
They will give you an estimate but BMW will inspect it themselves and then mail you a bill 15-30 days after.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 06:26 AM   #6
bri1042
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 340ix with stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRAVE View Post
They will give you an estimate but BMW will inspect it themselves and then mail you a bill 15-30 days after.
And they do this even if you don't owe anything. I got a very nice bill for zero bucks about three weeks after I turned in my 328 (and then a small mileage credit applied to my new lease account).
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 03:53 PM   #7
SWMOChris
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Estoril Blue 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
And they do this even if you don't owe anything. I got a very nice bill for zero bucks about three weeks after I turned in my 328 (and then a small mileage credit applied to my new lease account).
If you don't mind me asking, how many miles were you "under" on your lease when you turned it in? I may be in the same boat (about 8k miles under for me, and yes I need to drive it more.)
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 05:30 PM   #8
dwalls90
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMOChris View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how many miles were you "under" on your lease when you turned it in? I may be in the same boat (about 8k miles under for me, and yes I need to drive it more.)
It's a sliding scale and the amount of lease credit is equal to % of miles you are under the allotted amount. I wouldn't get too excited, the max mileage lease credit from what I recall, was no more than 300-400.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 09:00 PM   #9
SWMOChris
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Estoril Blue 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalls90 View Post
It's a sliding scale and the amount of lease credit is equal to % of miles you are under the allotted amount. I wouldn't get too excited, the max mileage lease credit from what I recall, was no more than 300-400.
Thanks for the info, I'm going in expecting $0 so anything they might credit me back with is just a bonus... or that's at least how I am looking at it!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 09:35 PM   #10
bri1042
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 340ix with stuff

I was at a hair over 22k miles out of 30k. It was 300 bucks (which was a nice chunk of June's car payment).
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 12:23 PM   #11
themush1326
Private
Rep

Can you dispute the bill?
Any experiences on how they bill.

If you have a curbed wheel do they bill you to fix it or bill for a new bmw wheel

I also worry that they can say pretty much anything 3 weeks later and it's very hard to disprove

Fir the record my car is in very good shape and has low mileage, just wheels are curbed
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 02:11 PM   #12
dwalls90
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can you dispute the bill?
Any experiences on how they bill.

If you have a curbed wheel do they bill you to fix it or bill for a new bmw wheel

I also worry that they can say pretty much anything 3 weeks later and it's very hard to disprove

Fir the record my car is in very good shape and has low mileage, just wheels are curbed
Again, if you're getting into another lease, the dealership from which you're returning the vehicle and getting into a new BMW with, can "help you out". There is no measurement of this, it's at the dealerships discretion, which is why you should shop around.

BMW will look the other way on certain items you would generally by held responsible for, if you're continuing to give them business by getting into another new BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 07:52 PM   #13
themush1326
Private
Rep

I guess what I am worried about is leasing another car and still getting a bill, that's why I want to know if you're u can know for certain you wil owe nothing before getting another car

I have a relative that leased a new car and was still hit with damage, it wasn't a bee
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 10:06 PM   #14
dwalls90
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess what I am worried about is leasing another car and still getting a bill, that's why I want to know if you're u can know for certain you wil owe nothing before getting another car

I have a relative that leased a new car and was still hit with damage, it wasn't a bee
I clarified with my CA that I wanted to know what they would evaluate my vehicle damages as in terms of returning it with any scuffs or wheel rash, some of which I knew wouldn't qualify for "Acceptable" wear and tear. I made it clear that this appraisal of damage costs would impact my desire to order a vehicle through them and to give them my business.

I was told that I would be taken care of, but they did take a 1K cash credit off the table. Regardless, I was happier to lose the 1K credit would have probably cost me more to have the damage fixed, or than the amount BMWFS would have sent me.

Long story short, if I do get a bill from BMWFS, I will first dispute it, but secondly, never go back to that dealership and tell others to do the same. Dealers trying to pull a fast one on you is one thing, but outright lying is another. My CA has been honest and on point so far, so I don't see this being the case

TL;DR: If you don't clarify and ask the questions when getting into a new lease, the dealer and BMWFS may try to take you for a ride. No one is going to give you free money, unless you negotiate.
Appreciate 0