F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2012 F30 Steering wheel vibration
GetBMWParts

08-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #265
glitched79
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

I thought I had made some progress with my dealership, until they came back to me with what they're claiming is a "final" offer.

I'm being offered the opportunity to return my vehicle and have the loan paid by BMW, minus a mileage fee, which will be substantial because I have just under 8000 miles on my car.

If I were to then purchase an X1 as a replacement vehicle, my payments would increase slightly, even though the price of an X1 built-out the way I'd want it is a little less than the cost of my 328i.

This is an unacceptable solution as far as I'm concerned. Why should I be penalized for a problem that is clearly BMW's fault?

Furthermore, a good number of the miles I've put on my car have been driving to and from the dealership, as I've visited the service department at least 6 or 7 times in attempts to get this problem resolved, and the dealership is at least 40 miles each way.

I was a huge MINI/BMW fan before. Now I'm pretty sure I'll NEVER buy another BMW product.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #266
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitched79 View Post
I was a huge MINI/BMW fan before. Now I'm pretty sure I'll NEVER buy another BMW product.
I went through this feeling on my present car, with the RFT issues and terrible driving dynamics. But I knew I'd be regretting it, every time I saw a BMW with a happy driver, (while driving my Ford or whatever), thinking "I could be that driver", had I persisted with fixing my car. Pleased to say I thought hard and never traded out of a BMW, even though it cost me to sort the car.

There are plenty of other marques to choose from, but in reality virtually every car has its faults. I'd sooner have a faulty BMW than a faulty car I didn't really want.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #267
glitched79
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I went through this feeling on my present car, with the RFT issues and terrible driving dynamics. But I knew I'd be regretting it, every time I saw a BMW with a happy driver, (while driving my Ford or whatever), thinking "I could be that driver", had I persisted with fixing my car. Pleased to say I thought hard and never traded out of a BMW, even though it cost me to sort the car.

There are plenty of other marques to choose from, but in reality virtually every car has its faults. I'd sooner have a faulty BMW than a faulty car I didn't really want.

HighlandPete
Agreed.

However, I have had very good experiences with other makes and models. Specifically, I had a wonderful experience with my 2007 Toyota Prius. Clearly, a Prius and a BMW of ANY kind are completely different animals, but considering the "newness" of hybrid technology even in 2007, my Prius had not one problem over the entire length of time that I owned that vehicle. Furthermore, it cost nearly less than half as much as what I paid for my 328i.

And that's my biggest point - these BMWs are not cheap. They shouldn't have this kind of problem, especially when they're touted as being "the ultimate driving machine". An ultimate driving machine should not vibrate at all, much less at moderate speeds.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #268
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_78 View Post
Calling BMW NA is not going to help you. You need to deal with BMW NA through your dealership. Have the dealership general manager deal with them. Otherwise BMW will ignore your complaint. The BMW customer service denied my request twice and told me they will not do anything. Then I mentioned the lemon law to my dealerships GM and within the same week BMW NA bought the car back from me and paid everything back. In my case my dealership was very helpful.

Good luck with your case.
bmwna helped get me out of my 328 and into a 335msport for less money than i am currently paying
      08-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #269
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I thought I had made some progress with my dealership, until they came back to me with what they're claiming is a "final" offer.

I'm being offered the opportunity to return my vehicle and have the loan paid by BMW, minus a mileage fee, which will be substantial because I have just under 8000 miles on my car.

If I were to then purchase an X1 as a replacement vehicle, my payments would increase slightly, even though the price of an X1 built-out the way I'd want it is a little less than the cost of my 328i.

This is an unacceptable solution as far as I'm concerned. Why should I be penalized for a problem that is clearly BMW's fault?

Furthermore, a good number of the miles I've put on my car have been driving to and from the dealership, as I've visited the service department at least 6 or 7 times in attempts to get this problem resolved, and the dealership is at least 40 miles each way.

thats crazy. I dont know how it works for a loan, but i lease. the price on my 328 was 42k, price on the 335 i orded was 50k. new payment is less than i am paying now for my 328
      08-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #270
SmoothSteeringHopeful
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
thats crazy. I dont know how it works for a loan, but i lease. the price on my 328 was 42k, price on the 335 i orded was 50k. new payment is less than i am paying now for my 328
You got hooked up my friend.... dayyyyyummm!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #271
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe121 View Post
You got hooked up my friend.... dayyyyyummm!
they have some method for calculating it all.
      08-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #272
SmoothSteeringHopeful
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Tampa? As in Tampa Bay Florida? You've very good lemon laws there, just mention that.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #273
f30Indy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
1982 BMW 320i  [0.00]
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I spoke with BMW Customer Relations today and they said they would investigate the issue and respond back to me within 3-5 business days. I mentioned to them about just swapping out the car, I've owned BMW's for 20 years, CCA member, etc..... and I didn't get a real sense either way of how it may go. We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #274
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30Indy View Post
I spoke with BMW Customer Relations today and they said they would investigate the issue and respond back to me within 3-5 business days. I mentioned to them about just swapping out the car, I've owned BMW's for 20 years, CCA member, etc..... and I didn't get a real sense either way of how it may go. We'll see.
Sounds good. exactly how my call went. They might take issue with you getting the same car since there is a known issue with the 328's. are you leasing, how long have you had the car?
      08-22-2012, 06:53 AM   #275
f30Indy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
1982 BMW 320i  [0.00]
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Sounds good. exactly how my call went. They might take issue with you getting the same car since there is a known issue with the 328's. are you leasing, how long have you had the car?
I have had it since June 15th. It is a 3yr/15k per year lease.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 08:32 AM   #276
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6MT & 12 128i Msport

Quote:
Agreed.

However, I have had very good experiences with other makes and models. Specifically, I had a wonderful experience with my 2007 Toyota Prius. Clearly, a Prius and a BMW of ANY kind are completely different animals, but considering the "newness" of hybrid technology even in 2007, my Prius had not one problem over the entire length of time that I owned that vehicle. Furthermore, it cost nearly less than half as much as what I paid for my 328i.

And that's my biggest point - these BMWs are not cheap. They shouldn't have this kind of problem, especially when they're touted as being "the ultimate driving machine". An ultimate driving machine should not vibrate at all, much less at moderate speeds.
A couple of thoughts...

1. Take the car to another dealership. Your issues are not those described in this thread and are definitely not normal. Find another dealership that will actually diagnose the cause. Ask to drive another F30 with the shop foreman in the car and compare. If you have a vibration over 80 mph that is effecting the entire structure you have a failure that should be repairable.

2. What BMW is offering is very reasonable. You are not entitled to a windfall. You had use of the car for 8,000 miles and it is fair to expect you to pay for the miles you drove. 8,000 miles in 2 months...wow! Had you requested a buy-back at 500 miles, or from day 1 when you first noticed the issue, then you would be right to be upset about paying a mileage charge. Check your local lemon laws - in California the mileage charge is built into the law and it might be the same in Florida.

3. When dealing with BMWNA, if you don't get a good answer from the first representative, ask to speak with a manager. They are able to accomplish far more than the 1st level representative.

4. You are a BMW CCA member. Please consider contacting the CCA ombudsman. They might be able to help.

Good luck getting this resolved!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #277
blackmamba328
Rep
Drives: 2012 Black BMW 328i

They basically told me that steering wheel vibration is not enough to get another car.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #278
Evilsmith
Rep

I picked up my car 7 days ago, noticed the vibration on day 2. Took it to the dealer, they said they are going to open a case with BMWNA but there are no further updates that they have. Car has a little over 500 miles on it currently, thinking about attempting to trade the car back in but at this point I dont know if I want to attempt to find an F30 that doesnt have the problem, as im worried that the issue could crop up again once I start putting miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #279
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba328
They basically told me that steering wheel vibration is not enough to get another car.
Total bullshit. It depends how far you want to take it. Tell your dealer to open a puma case.
      08-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #280
glitched79
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocohead
Quote:
Agreed.

A couple of thoughts...

1. Take the car to another dealership. Your issues are not those described in this thread and are definitely not normal. Find another dealership that will actually diagnose the cause. Ask to drive another F30 with the shop foreman in the car and compare. If you have a vibration over 80 mph that is effecting the entire structure you have a failure that should be repairable.

2. What BMW is offering is very reasonable. You are not entitled to a windfall. You had use of the car for 8,000 miles and it is fair to expect you to pay for the miles you drove. 8,000 miles in 2 months...wow! Had you requested a buy-back at 500 miles, or from day 1 when you first noticed the issue, then you would be right to be upset about paying a mileage charge. Check your local lemon laws - in California the mileage charge is built into the law and it might be the same in Florida.

3. When dealing with BMWNA, if you don't get a good answer from the first representative, ask to speak with a manager. They are able to accomplish far more than the 1st level representative.

4. You are a BMW CCA member. Please consider contacting the CCA ombudsman. They might be able to help.

Good luck getting this resolved!
I've had the car for 7 months, not 2.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #281
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
I've had the car for 7 months, not 2.
Which makes your paying a mileage charge even more reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #282
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

dont forget tho, the money you have paid so far gets credited towards your next car(it did for me at least)
      08-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #283
JamesMA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

BMW, like any other company, will string you out as far as they can. The last time I had a BMW do what is being described, it was the "control arms and bushings" on an '01 352i with less than 30k miles, which needed to be replaced under warranty, so something obviously is not right.

With the amount you have into the car, I would recommend talking to a good lawyer. A well written letter from an attorney can do wonders in a state with a good lemon law!

Gone: 2018 F80 ///M3 ZCP 6 MT, 2013 F30 335i 6MT M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #284
Fly_F30
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 xDrive

Hey Gang, long time reader - first time poster.

I found this aggravating enough to have to write about:

-17's rwd 2012 328i early build (dec maybe? has factory front license plate bracket) took delivery 4th of July 2012
- vibration 40 - 60
- vibration same speed off the gas, fade left/right (off ramps) can also feel/hear whirring noise.
- during straight drive, on or off gas, veer left / right (wiggle move) can get it to be more pronounced.

Anyone have updates on BMW's willingness to help? My dealer is trying, but they are too small and has several brands so not really "in touch" with all BMW current events
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #285
SmoothSteeringHopeful
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly_F30

-17's rwd 2012 328i early build (dec maybe? has factory front license plate bracket) took delivery 4th of July 2012
- vibration 40 - 60
- vibration same speed off the gas, fade left/right (off ramps) can also feel/hear whirring noise.
- during straight drive, on or off gas, veer left / right (wiggle move) can get it to be more pronounced.

Anyone have updates on BMW's willingness to help? My dealer is trying, but they are too small and has several brands so not really "in touch" with all BMW current events
If they're a BMW dealer they have the same capabilities as any in regards to contacting BMW. See what they'll do first
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #286
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly_F30 View Post

- vibration 40 - 60

Yep. I have an early build car as well(front plate bracket) sportline, same vibration issues. Its hard to feel but its visually noticeable.

Have you called BMWNA yet?