F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2012 F30 Steering wheel vibration
Extreme Power House
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #155
Ikanayam
New Member
0
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: In the factory
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norcal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
This is no consolation for those with the problem, but our new 2012 328i sport-line has not yet shown a vibration. Standard sport-line wheels, Pirelli RFTs, fixed steering and suspension. Mid-June build.
Mid-June build also. Have not encountered the problem. Sportline, Goodyear tires. Fixed steering and suspension.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #156
BELGIUM BMW
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: BMW E46 330 xi
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

I read in German forums that it seems to be a problem with the tyres.
In Germany people with Continental tyres have problems, not with Pirelli or Goodyear.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #157
RxCritical
Private First Class
United_States
7
Rep
146
Posts

Drives: 2012 535xi
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lenoir City, TN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELGIUM BMW View Post
I read in German forums that it seems to be a problem with the tyres.
In Germany people with Continental tyres have problems, not with Pirelli or Goodyear.
I had Continental's to start with, they put Pirelli's on to attempt to fix the problem. There was no change in the vibration on my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #158
brandon @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
brandon @ eas's Avatar
United_States
251
Rep
3,552
Posts


Drives: F30 335i M-sport
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: So-Cal

iTrader: (10)

I have the problem and I have had 3 sets of wheels so far:

-Stock 17" with Pirelli's
-18" aftermarket wheels with Goodyear tires
-Alternate set of 18" aftermarket wheels with factory Pirelli run flats
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #159
brandon @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
brandon @ eas's Avatar
United_States
251
Rep
3,552
Posts


Drives: F30 335i M-sport
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: So-Cal

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBimmerKid View Post
A poll would be helpful. It's a very unpleasant grinding/wobble (almost like anitlock) very briefly. I have the sportline 18's. I would also start a poll for the types of tire. After doing some research, I found that an inconsistent side wall thickness can cause a steering shake. That would explain why people who have moved to non-run-flats have been fixing the problem. Food for thought

I tried non runflats and the problem is still there
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #160
SmoothSteeringHopeful
Private First Class
SmoothSteeringHopeful's Avatar
4
Rep
135
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW 328i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charleston SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon @ eas View Post
I tried non runflats and the problem is still there
Seems people with the sport wheels are generally not having an issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #161
Tim_78
Duke
Tim_78's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
219
Posts

Drives: F30
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (2)

Late May built. Steering vibration exists from the first day of purchase. Luxury line with pirelli's. This sucks !
__________________
Long Gone: 2004 E46 325i - 2006 E90 325i
Current: 2014 F30 328i Mineral Gray Ext.- Saddle Brown Int
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #162
emtrey
Captain
emtrey's Avatar
14
Rep
678
Posts

Drives: 13 335 AW sport 06 Carrera S
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (0)

I drove the Drive for Team USA 335i the other day. Only vibration I noticed was under braking.

I would have to assume that was a brake issue considering these cars are getting a hard workout on these test drives ( 15K miles on car--Pirellis on sportline (397) wheels).

I hope this has been fixed on the 2013s.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 05:05 AM   #163
a_k
Private First Class
1
Rep
111
Posts

Drives: F31 328i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: EU

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_78 View Post
Late May built. Steering vibration exists from the first day of purchase. Luxury line with pirelli's. This sucks !
Standard steering or variable sport steering?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #164
SCBimmerKid
Lieutenant
SCBimmerKid's Avatar
11
Rep
580
Posts

Drives: Mineral Grey F30
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hilton Head, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon @ eas View Post
I tried non runflats and the problem is still there
Damn :/ lol
__________________

*NO LONGER ON ORDER* '12 328i Mineral Grey Metallic w/black leather/aluminum&black gloss trim/ZSL/ZPP/Xenons
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #165
mocohead
Lieutenant
mocohead's Avatar
12
Rep
415
Posts

Drives: 2012 128i Msport 6speed
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Again...it would be really helpful if people would post a video...
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #166
RxCritical
Private First Class
United_States
7
Rep
146
Posts

Drives: 2012 535xi
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lenoir City, TN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocohead View Post
Again...it would be really helpful if people would post a video...
I made a video buy you can not really notice it on the video. It's only osscillating about 5 degrees and moving fairly fast.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #167
SmoothSteeringHopeful
Private First Class
SmoothSteeringHopeful's Avatar
4
Rep
135
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW 328i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charleston SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxCritical View Post
I made a video buy you can not really notice it on the video. It's only osscillating about 5 degrees and moving fairly fast.
I've tried a few times, its quite difficult without a mount for the phone to hold it steady. If I find a good one of the 10 i've taken i'll post soon.

**
Well after trying to stabilize the video in iMovie, no luck.

Last edited by SmoothSteeringHopeful; 07-30-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #168
JoeyO
Lieutenant
United_States
28
Rep
553
Posts

Drives: silver car
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocohead View Post
Again...it would be really helpful if people would post a video...
Why? Do really think it's vibrating 10 inches back and forth?

You're going to see the video and say to yourself "I don't see it. It's not vibrating." But I'd bet you'd notice it if you were sitting in that seat with your hands on the wheel. It's a vibration. It's not a UFO.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 08:47 AM   #169
Tim_78
Duke
Tim_78's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
219
Posts

Drives: F30
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_k View Post
Standard steering or variable sport steering?
Standard steering. The most annoying part is that BMW NA claims car is performing as designed. Well, this is a defective design then!
__________________
Long Gone: 2004 E46 325i - 2006 E90 325i
Current: 2014 F30 328i Mineral Gray Ext.- Saddle Brown Int
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 09:06 AM   #170
BimMyWay
New Member
1
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: F30
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_78 View Post
Standard steering. The most annoying part is that BMW NA claims car is performing as designed. Well, this is a defective design then!
I totally agree with you. Mine built in middle of April got a same situation. BMW engineer and service dealer did not want to say that it is a problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 09:09 AM   #171
BimMyWay
New Member
1
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: F30
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_78 View Post
Standard steering. The most annoying part is that BMW NA claims car is performing as designed. Well, this is a defective design then!
Do you live in Atlanta? I do. where did you purchase it? Maybe we can share some info.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 09:11 AM   #172
mocohead
Lieutenant
mocohead's Avatar
12
Rep
415
Posts

Drives: 2012 128i Msport 6speed
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
Why? Do really think it's vibrating 10 inches back and forth?

You're going to see the video and say to yourself "I don't see it. It's not vibrating." But I'd bet you'd notice it if you were sitting in that seat with your hands on the wheel. It's a vibration. It's not a UFO.
Everybody's definition of vibration is going to be different. For those of us who don't have a problem, it is helpful to put other people's issues into context. Like diagnosing a "strange noise" or "rattle" or other highly subjective problems, it is helpful to see the issue first hand.

Plus if somebody is serious about dealing with BMW about the problem, they take all of the videos, shot with different cars in different places, and send them to BMW. That is proof that the issue is not an individual owner or vehicle, but is more broad.

If it is so subtle it won't show in a video, try taking a half full bottle of water with the label removed, and hold it against the wheel. The water will show the vibration.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 12:07 PM   #173
Tim_78
Duke
Tim_78's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
219
Posts

Drives: F30
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimMyWay View Post
Do you live in Atlanta? I do. where did you purchase it? Maybe we can share some info.
Yes, I live in Atlanta. I bought my car from Nalley in Decatur. The dealership service manager acknowledges the problem but doesn't seem to communicate it to BMWNA. Are you also in ATL?
__________________
Long Gone: 2004 E46 325i - 2006 E90 325i
Current: 2014 F30 328i Mineral Gray Ext.- Saddle Brown Int
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 12:30 PM   #174
BimMyWay
New Member
1
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: F30
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_78 View Post
Yes, I live in Atlanta. I bought my car from Nalley in Decatur. The dealership service manager acknowledges the problem but doesn't seem to communicate it to BMWNA. Are you also in ATL?
Yes, I live in Atlanta. I got mine from Global Import, but I got horrible service experience there. When I took mine in, they acknowledged the problem. Tried some tests and wheel balance, but the problem was still there. They said they cannot fix it. My first service record clearly stated that after wheel balance, the steering wheel is still shimmy. They recommended to meet BMW engineer.

You know what happened?

On my second visit, I met BMW enginner (technisian), he kept saying "nothing wrong, desigend to have the vibrations at that speed". After he said like that, everyone in service center started to say "THIS VIBRATION IS NORMAL. NOTING WRONG" even they say "bring a car which doesn't have vibration, then I will try to fix" Can you believe this? I think I need a good lawyer. Very disappointed.

Last edited by BimMyWay; 07-31-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #175
jwickers
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
243
Posts

Drives: 328i GT
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Shanghai - China

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocohead View Post

If it is so subtle it won't show in a video, try taking a half full bottle of water with the label removed, and hold it against the wheel. The water will show the vibration.
good idea, this could work. Who is up for it ?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 01:37 PM   #176
Fishjr
New Member
5
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: Daily Driver
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimMyWay View Post
Yes, I live in Atlanta. I got mine from Global Import, but I got horrible service experience there. When I took mine in, they acknowledged the problem. Tried some tests and wheel balance, but the problem was still there. They said they cannot fix it. My first service record clearly stated that after wheel balance, the steering wheel is still shimmy. They recommended to meet BMW engineer.

You know what happened?

On my second visit, I met BMW enginner (technisian), he kept saying "nothing wrong, desigend to have the vibrations at that speed". After he said like that, everyone in service center started to say "THIS VIBRATION IS NORMAL. NOTING WRONG" even they say "bring a car which doesn't have vibration, then I will try to fix" Can you believe this? I think I need a good lawyer. Very disappointed.
I live in ATL too and would like to purchase the F30 as well. Would you mind PM me your car details and price etc? I want to know what to expect to pay. Thanks!

Last edited by Fishjr; 07-31-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:37 AM.




f30post
f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST