F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 8 speed steptronic vs 8 speed sport steptronic
Extreme Power House
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
Kmm
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2013 335i XDrive-on order
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany

Posts: 40
iTrader: (0)

8 speed steptronic vs 8 speed sport steptronic

Is the only difference the shifter paddles on the steering wheel?

Thanks!
Kmm is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
Autumn
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Michigan

Posts: 31
iTrader: (0)

The sport auto shifts more quickly as well.
Autumn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
Kmm
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2013 335i XDrive-on order
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany

Posts: 40
iTrader: (0)

Is it enough to really notice? Is the quote of the 5.4 sec 0-60 with the sports automatic.
Kmm is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
Micleg
F31 320d msport w/HUD
 
Drives: 320d F31 m, 520d F11 m
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sweden, Linköping

Posts: 302
iTrader: (0)

Rumours have it that the only differences are looks: leather beneath the stick, different stick shape and paddles by the steering wheel.
Micleg is offline   Sweden
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
PrinceBarin
Major
 
Drives: 430D
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Birmingham, UK

Posts: 1,272
iTrader: (0)

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683337
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674338
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660335
PrinceBarin is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
kiforrest
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: BMW 130i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Merseyside & Surrey

Posts: 38
iTrader: (0)

Different gear change mapping in my opinion. I have driven both and the sports auto is more aggressive I.e. changes down quicker, plus it provides the sports plus mode which means the car will hang on to a gear without changing up/down without human intervention when in the sports plus mode
__________________


BMW F30 320ed. Pro Media, Visibility, VDC, 8 speed sports auto, BMW IPhone integration

BMW 130i- Fully loaded
kiforrest is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
PrinceBarin
Major
 
Drives: 430D
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Birmingham, UK

Posts: 1,272
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiforrest
Different gear change mapping in my opinion. I have driven both and the sports auto is more aggressive I.e. changes down quicker, plus it provides the sports plus mode which means the car will hang on to a gear without changing up/down without human intervention when in the sports plus mode
Out of interest, is the Sport transmission similarly aggressive in both modes? I am guessing you would drain a lot of fuel if it was. I am aware that the sport auto holds the changes in Sport mode which is pretty cool, but I wondered if it was still more aggressively mapped in standard mode when compared to the standard box.

Would be great if someone could get some facts & stats from BMW on the real differences between these transmissions.
PrinceBarin is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #8
CoolDude196
.
 
CoolDude196's Avatar
 
Drives: f30 20d
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: England

Posts: 615
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmm
Is the only difference the shifter paddles on the steering wheel?

Thanks!
+1 literally asking myself the exact same question
__________________
AW Sport 20d, 2tb, 552, lc, 397 plus others
CoolDude196 is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
 
SomeRandomer123's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lancashire, North West England, UK

Posts: 2,539
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
The sport auto shifts more quickly as well.
Yep, sport auto shifts quicker (200ms), you get flappy paddles, a nice leather surround around the improved "gear stick" and slightly different software. For what it's worth (£150 difference in the UK) go for the Sport Auto. I drove a 328i with the standard auto and it wound me up because it had constant power interruptions and the lack of flappy's to control it was a hindrance. Therefore I feel the Sport Auto is smoother.
Oh and it adds the Sport + mode!
__________________

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
My 328i initial thoughts + media!http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712673

Last edited by SomeRandomer123; 04-29-2012 at 03:57 PM.
SomeRandomer123 is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
PrinceBarin
Major
 
Drives: 430D
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Birmingham, UK

Posts: 1,272
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123
Yep, sport auto shifts quicker (200ms), you get flappy paddles, a nice leather surround around the improved "gear stick" and slightly different software. For what it's worth (£150 difference in the UK) go for the Sport Auto. I drove a 328i with the standard auto and it wound me up because it had constant power interruptions and the lack of flappy's to control it was a hindrance. Therefore I feel the Sport Auto is smoother.
Oh and it adds the Sport + mode!
The shift speed for the ZF 8HP is 200ms but it's the same hardware in both the standard and sports auto so my conclusion is that the shifts must be the same for both gearboxes, unless the software can actually control the shift speed, which I doubt.

Not to doubt your experience of the two systems though (I haven't tried either yet). I just wondered if the shift mapping is consistently more aggressive for the sport auto in both comfort and sport modes. For example, is the sport auto in comfort mode equal to, say, the standard auto in sport mode?
PrinceBarin is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #11
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
 
SomeRandomer123's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lancashire, North West England, UK

Posts: 2,539
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBarin View Post
The shift speed for the ZF 8HP is 200ms but it's the same hardware in both the standard and sports auto so my conclusion is that the shifts must be the same for both gearboxes, unless the software can actually control the shift speed, which I doubt.

Not to doubt your experience of the two systems though (I haven't tried either yet). I just wondered if the shift mapping is consistently more aggressive for the sport auto in both comfort and sport modes. For example, is the sport auto in comfort mode equal to, say, the standard auto in sport mode?
Aah you could be right. Although I have tested both, the Sport Auto was in the 320d and the Standard Auto in the 328i, both of which are massively different engines from what I have grown accustomed to, although I am more familiar with the 320d. I think there definitely needs to be more clarity from BMW as to what the differences are! Couldn't comment on the aggressiveness of the shift, I can't recall!
__________________

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
My 328i initial thoughts + media!http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712673
SomeRandomer123 is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST