F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Extended Warranty/Service Contract
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-27-2015, 07:21 PM   #1
MizzouDoc
Registered
MizzouDoc's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Greenwood, Indiana

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Extended Warranty/Service Contract

Hi all. Brand new here having bought my first BMW a few months back. I bought a CPO 2013 328i xDrive and am torn at whether I should get the extended warranty and/or the service contract. While I'd like to have the peace of mind, I don't want to spend needless cash. What say you good, bad or otherwise? Appreciate any insight! Thanks in advance.
__________________

"It aint all grits and ice cream"
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 02:08 AM   #2
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
zamboni's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
3,677
Posts

Drives: 13 E93 M3 14 F30 335i
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Monte Sereno, CA

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
If you plan to keep the car for long period then I would get the extended warranty, don't bother with maintenance program save that money for the warranty purchase.
__________________
14 F30 335i Melbourne Red
13 E93 M3 Melbourne Red
12 E93 Space Gray ( Retired BMW buy back )
2006 E90 ( sold ) 09 E82 Space Gray ( sold )
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 04:55 PM   #3
kplo
New Member
United_States
1
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 2014 F31
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

why do you want to get extended warranty now if your car is already CPO? Assuming your car was first sold in 2012, the new car warranty will end some time this year 2016, but you have another 2 year of CPO warranty. If you get extended warranty now, wouldn't you be wasting the CPO warranty?

since we are on this topic, anyone has experience with American Standard Auto Protection? I tried to quote a number of the other big names (Endurance, Easy Care) but they don't sell contracts to California residents.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 05:10 PM   #4
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
shivaswrath's Avatar
United_States
167
Rep
3,645
Posts

Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lost in NJ

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouDoc View Post
Hi all. Brand new here having bought my first BMW a few months back. I bought a CPO 2013 328i xDrive and am torn at whether I should get the extended warranty and/or the service contract. While I'd like to have the peace of mind, I don't want to spend needless cash. What say you good, bad or otherwise? Appreciate any insight! Thanks in advance.
it depends on the miles...

at 53k I had the drivers side rear axle replaced ($50 copay with platinum warranty).

At 55k the fuel pump regulator sensor was replaced ($50 copay with platinum warranty).

Granted my car has below mods and was probably pushed a little, but those 2 repairs were in the 4 figures so the warranty paid for itself.

I'm driving this until wheels fall off or until I win the lotto or my wife let's me get an M3....(we know how that'll shake out).
__________________
2012 335i Mineral Gray
Enzo 400R+|M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1||ER CP/IC/DP | Dinan CAI |BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 05:43 PM   #5
radm
Enlisted Member
8
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2016 340xi 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplo View Post
why do you want to get extended warranty now if your car is already CPO? Assuming your car was first sold in 2012, the new car warranty will end some time this year 2016, but you have another 2 year of CPO warranty. If you get extended warranty now, wouldn't you be wasting the CPO warranty?

since we are on this topic, anyone has experience with American Standard Auto Protection? I tried to quote a number of the other big names (Endurance, Easy Care) but they don't sell contracts to California residents.
I used warranty direct on my previous two bmws. Get the full coverage with $200 deductible (one deductible can include several things to be fixed at the same time). With the high deductible the price was reasonable (it extended coverage on my 335i for additional 45K miles for $2300 or $2700 - I don't remember which) and I got my money back. They often gave the service adviser some trouble and it took extra time to get approved (so having repairs done at a dealer where you can get a loaner is better) but with the best coverage they offer you are less likely that they decline anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 05:18 PM   #6
kplo
New Member
United_States
1
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 2014 F31
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

I called warranty direct and they don't sell contracts to California for BMW, as well as a number of other luxury brands. A few other providers also declined selling to California, not sure why. I think this makes the CPO warranty a little bit more attractive when considering a used BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 03:31 AM   #7
radm
Enlisted Member
8
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2016 340xi 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplo View Post
I called warranty direct and they don't sell contracts to California for BMW, as well as a number of other luxury brands. A few other providers also declined selling to California, not sure why. I think this makes the CPO warranty a little bit more attractive when considering a used BMW.
Too bad. It worked well enough for me in the past.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 11:28 AM   #8
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
214
Rep
2,468
Posts

Drives: Too Many
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE PA

iTrader: (0)

They won't sell in CA because CA likely has consumer protection laws that they can't beat. The single most important thing to do when considering an extended warranty is get a copy of and thoroughly review their detailed list of covered or excluded items. More often than not the actual coverage you get is garbage. They tend to have a very long list of covered items that either no longer exist on modern cars or never fail (on their own at least). They tend to exclude coverage of damage resulting from the failure of a non-covered component. A classic example - coverage of "axle shafts" without mention of CV joints. It's not at all obvious since folks tend to think of the entire assembly as the axle, but they don't since it's an assembly of multiple unique components. Bottom line - thoroughly review and understand the contract. I would also go a step further and ask your favorite dealer or shop which they find easiest to work with and which are impossible to get to approve repairs.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:25 AM.




f30post
f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST