F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Sport mode/drive sport
RW Carbon

05-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
CoolDude196

Drives: f30 20d

Sport mode/drive sport

When you engage sport mode on the 'drive performance control' switch, does that make the sport auto transmission go into DS? Or do you have to manully flick the gear lever to the left/right to get the transmission into DS?

Am i right in thinking DS makes the transmission more 'agressive'?

Cheers
      05-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
_BMWnEwBiE_
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2012 328i

I was wondering about this too so pretty much sport button and DS are the the same things or not?
      05-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
ZPinhead

Drives: F30 328i Sedan Sport

They are in fact very different features.

Sport mode = more aggressive shifting points + tighter steering

DS = manual control of when trans shift up/down
      05-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
arnsbrae
Lieutenant

Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPinhead View Post
They are in fact very different features.

Sport mode = more aggressive shifting points + tighter steering

DS = manual control of when trans shift up/down
Hi, according to the handbook (page 68) switching the gear lever left to DS puts the transmission into sports mode giving more aggressive shifting points.

It doesn't affect the steering or throttle response but it does disable the stop start function.

Last edited by arnsbrae; 05-06-2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Added information
arnsbrae is offline   United Kingdom
      05-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
CoolDude196

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
Hi, according to the handbook (page 68) switching the gear lever left to DS puts the transmission into sports mode giving more aggressive shifting points.

It doesn't affect the steering or throttle response but it does disable the stop start function.
i see, so the drive performance control is limited to steering/throttle response (and rev points?), and DS is limited to the transmission (enbles manual as well?)? so if you want the full 'sport experience', you'd need to change both?...
      05-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
arnsbrae
Lieutenant

[quote=CoolDude196]
Quote:

i see, so the drive performance control is limited to steering/throttle response (and rev points?), and DS is limited to the transmission (enbles manual as well?)? so if you want the full 'sport experience', you'd need to change both?...
Yes - Sports mode affects steering/throttle response and rev points.

DS mode affects rev points, disables stop/ start and of course puts the transmission in manual.

If full 'sport experience' includes disabling stop/ start then yes, you need to change both.

Personally, I would disable stop/ start after starting the car, then select sport mode.

I'm not sure using manual mode is much help on a car with 8 forward gears!

Last edited by arnsbrae; 05-06-2012 at 01:20 PM.
arnsbrae is offline   United Kingdom
      05-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
CoolDude196

Quote:
Yes - if you remove all three question marks, you are bang on.
brilliant, cheers!
      05-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #8
_BMWnEwBiE_
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2012 328i

[quote=arnsbrae;11906536]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDude196

DS mode affects rev points, disables stop/ start and of course puts the transmission in manual.

If full 'sport experience' includes disabling stop/ start then yes, you need to change both.

Personally, I would disable stop/ start after starting the car, then select sport mode.

U can be at DS mode but as long as you do not play with the shifter you are still auto mode right at least my CA told me so.
      05-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #9
arnsbrae
Lieutenant

[quote=_BMWnEwBiE_]
Quote:
Quote:

U can be at DS mode but as long as you do not play with the shifter you are still auto mode right at least my CA told me so.
Agreed.
      05-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #10
HighlandPete
Brigadier General

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

What about the iDrive configurations?

That's where the switching will allow different setups for what happens with the eco - sport toggle. If I understand it correctly, (if it is like the F10/11 configurations) you can leave the gearbox out of the iDrive configuration, and use the stick only, for the sport gearbox feature. Or include the gearbox in the setup, for switching with the sport toggle.

HighlandPete
      05-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #11
CoolDude196

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete

That's where the switching will allow different setups for what happens with the eco - sport toggle. If I understand it correctly, (if it is like the F10/11 configurations) you can leave the gearbox out of the iDrive configuration, and use the stick only, for the sport gearbox feature. Or include the gearbox in the setup, for switching with the sport toggle.

HighlandPete
I haven't got business/professional navigation on my f30, will that setup of configurations thing your mentioning still be possible? I hope so...
      05-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #12
HighlandPete
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDude196 View Post
I haven't got business/professional navigation on my f30, will that setup of configurations thing your mentioning still be possible? I hope so...
I can't see why not. I didn't play with the iDrive settings in the 328i I tested, just flicked the stick to sport, when in normal/comfort mode. But when toggling the switch to sport, the box was configured to sport gearbox mode, along with throttle and steering.

I've had time in several F10 models and yes, you can configure the drivetrain and chassis as you want. Allowing the tighter steering and throttle response, but leaving the gearbox in drive mode. So have full control of the gearbox from the stick and/or paddles (if fitted).

HighlandPete
      05-07-2012, 03:44 AM   #13
CoolDude196

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDude196 View Post
I can't see why not. I didn't play with the iDrive settings in the 328i I tested, just flicked the stick to sport, when in normal/comfort mode. But when toggling the switch to sport, the box was configured to sport gearbox mode, along with throttle and steering.

I've had time in several F10 models and yes, you can configure the drivetrain and chassis as you want. Allowing the tighter steering and throttle response, but leaving the gearbox in drive mode. So have full control of the gearbox from the stick and/or paddles (if fitted).

HighlandPete
Thats good that i still have that feature... I see you mentioned it changed the steering characteristics, do i have to have a form of variable steering (sevotronic, variable sports) for it to change the characteristics or does it work with the standard system?

Also, will i still get the sports display in the idrive screen (the one with live bhp and torque readings) or not, as i dont have pro/business idrive?

Many thanks for your knowledgeable answeres HighlandPete
      05-07-2012, 03:59 AM   #14
PrinceBarin
Major

Drives: 430D

Quote:
Quote:

HighlandPete
Like you, I do not have NAV, just the standard 6.5inch screen. I also don't have Sport+ because I do not have any Sports options.

Anyway, the only mode I can configure is ECO PRO and even then it's only a couple of basic parameters. I cannot make any adjustments to the comfort or sport modes, unless I am competent missing something here. Sorry to disappoint.

Also, to confirm what has already been said, the DS Sport mode of the auto gearbox stays in auto UNLESS you start using it as a tiptronic (i.e. you need to upshift or downshift whilst in DS mode before it will slip into manual mode).

I will try to play around with the different combinations of Comfort/Sport mode and Auto/DS mode today and report back on how they interact!
      05-07-2012, 04:01 AM   #15
Dabaitu
Colonel

Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Sport mode also affects the Adaptive M running gear (if you have it).
Dabaitu is offline   Australia
      05-07-2012, 04:16 AM   #16
CoolDude196

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBarin View Post
Like you, I do not have NAV, just the standard 6.5inch screen. I also don't have Sport+ because I do not have any Sports options.

Anyway, the only mode I can configure is ECO PRO and even then it's only a couple of basic parameters. I cannot make any adjustments to the comfort or sport modes, unless I am competent missing something here. Sorry to disappoint.

Also, to confirm what has already been said, the DS Sport mode of the auto gearbox stays in auto UNLESS you start using it as a tiptronic (i.e. you need to upshift or downshift whilst in DS mode before it will slip into manual mode).

I will try to play around with the different combinations of Comfort/Sport mode and Auto/DS mode today and report back on how they interact!
Your beast's a luxury isnt it? my understanding is that Sport+ is only available if you have a) a sport line or b) adaptive m-suspension? although, im probably wrong

yeah thats what i thought it might be, thanks for the confirmation.

damn! im starting to wish id gone for pro idrive instead of auto, i wonder if those with the pro idrive are able to have a more 'in depth' configuration for the different modes? on the f10, i thought even if you had standard screen you could configure the modes?

yeah that would be very useful if you could have a look and see whats configurable and whats not... and anything else you find!
      05-07-2012, 04:18 AM   #17
CoolDude196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaitu View Post
Sport mode also affects the Adaptive M running gear (if you have it).
couldnt afford that , thanks anyway!
      05-07-2012, 04:20 AM   #18
PrinceBarin
Major

Yes, I have a luxury line!

You're correct re sport+, you need a sport line and/or any of the "sport" options (gearbox, suspension, steering).

Just about to take the car on a long drive so will report back later today. I owe someone some db readings too!
      05-07-2012, 04:34 AM   #19
CoolDude196

Quote:

You're correct re sport+, you need a sport line and/or any of the "sport" options (gearbox, suspension, steering).

Just about to take the car on a long drive so will report back later today. I owe someone some db readings too!
good choice...

oh right, i didnt realise sport+ would come with sport options too... interesting

nice, have a play around with the DPC and see what you find, whats configurable etc etc and if theres any real difference between modes!?
mate that would be perfect if you could get some decibel readings... see how much quiter the f30 is compared to my current e83 and to the competition
enjoy the drive!
      05-07-2012, 04:45 AM   #20
HighlandPete
Brigadier General

Quote:

What drivetrain/chassis configuration options do you have on the iDrive? You are not running the sport autobox are you? So may be a limited selection.

HighlandPete
      05-07-2012, 05:50 AM   #21
CoolDude196

Quote:
Quote:

What drivetrain/chassis configuration options do you have on the iDrive? You are not running the sport autobox are you? So may be a limited selection.

HighlandPete
so the less sport options, the less configurability? makes sense

will i still get the sport display (showing bhp and torque) on the idrive screen, dispite not having nav?
      05-07-2012, 06:46 AM   #22
PrinceBarin
Major

Hi Pete,

You are right, no sport box for me. I have no configurability of the settings in iDrive (at least not that I can find) which I presume is because I don 't have any sport options.