F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Scratches on brand new car
European Auto Source

02-29-2016, 06:46 AM   #1
charpour
Private
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d msport 2016

Scratches on brand new car

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi,

Few weeks back when I went to the dealer to see my new car before collection, I've noticed it had several swirl marks/scratches in several locations, especially on the hood (unbelievable how they managed to scratch a brand new car ?!?!). I was extremely happy to see the car for the first time, and very annoyed/frustrated to see the scratches at the same time, very strange feeling.

They promised to fix it before collection, they said it only needs some polishing and not to worry about it. When I went back to collect the car the marks weren't there, at least not on the hood, but there are other spots where I can see them around the car (not deep, but still visible).

After reading some posts here I'm suspecting that they most probably have filled it with wax and the marks will re-appear soon.

Is there a way to remove those permanently (the ones around the car and the ones on the hood if/when they appear again) ?

I've attached some photos that show the scratches on the hood.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 07:00 AM   #2
snipnoob86
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335D Saloon

hi m8

as with most scratches they are very easy to cover up but extremely difficult to make disappear permenantly.

a good detailer can make them disappear for a few months but they will always re appear unfortunatly that is the nature of scratches even the lightest of scratches.

the best you can hope for is that the summers heat will cause the lacquer to move and shift back to its origional form and the scratch will be a thing of the passed but it is a long process and requires alot of patience.

the scratches on the hood... they look more like lines from the protective wrapping that it is shipped with?

in any case dont accept no as an answer from your dealer as this is totally not acceptable and if it is really getting you down, have the respray the hood if you think that is what will make you happy. but bare in mind a move this drastic will have knock on effects when they come to blebd the adjecent panels.

my best advice would be the summer heat and hope the paint cures itself naturally.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 07:37 AM   #3
SDH
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipnoob86 View Post
hi m8

as with most scratches they are very easy to cover up but extremely difficult to make disappear permenantly.

a good detailer can make them disappear for a few months but they will always re appear unfortunatly that is the nature of scratches even the lightest of scratches.

the best you can hope for is that the summers heat will cause the lacquer to move and shift back to its origional form and the scratch will be a thing of the passed but it is a long process and requires alot of patience.

the scratches on the hood... they look more like lines from the protective wrapping that it is shipped with?

in any case dont accept no as an answer from your dealer as this is totally not acceptable and if it is really getting you down, have the respray the hood if you think that is what will make you happy. but bare in mind a move this drastic will have knock on effects when they come to blebd the adjecent panels.

my best advice would be the summer heat and hope the paint cures itself naturally.
As above really, the general rule of thumb is if you can feel a scratch with your fingernail (rub over it to see if you can get your nail in it) then its probably not going to possible to remove it 100%. However a machine polish by a detailer or suitably competent person will certainly improve things.

If you want to see if they're still there (covered up by fillers) I would suggest a really good clean (pre wash, wash, iron out, tar remover and clay bar) followed up by wiping down the bonnet with diluted isopropanol to remove all remnants of wax.

On another point...

If this were my car it worry me a little because if any old bloke at the dealer attacked your bonnet with a machine polisher and removed to much lacquer in the process it may appear that you have an uneven amount of paint on the car. By this I mean I've just had a paint corrosion warranty claim rejected due to uneven paint thickness on my bonnet. Dealers said its had a re-spray as the paint thickness is uneven and as it wasn't done at an approved paint shop warranty is void, I know its not had a re-spray but has had some scratches machine polished. Unfortunately I didn't use a detailer I went the cheapest route and am now paying for my error.

Anyway I'd be getting the paint thickness checked to ensure there isn't any large differences in paint depth that may come back to bite you as it has done with me.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 07:38 AM   #4
charpour
Private
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipnoob86 View Post
hi m8

Thank you for the advice. Never thought that summer heat can repair the paint, that's something new to me.

Unfortunately, I had to accept the car out of fear of them making it worse if I pressured for additional repair (obviously they are quite incompetent). During the handover protocol they wrote down that the car needs polishing, and the guy from the dealership who sold the car to me told me he knows a good place in another town where they can do the polishing/fixing.

As I'm not very confident that they're not going to make things worse, I wanted to get some opinions first from people who already have been through this. Is repaint even an option on a brand new car? I have no idea if I should do something right now (polishing? repaint?).. The marks/scratches are not deep but if you get close to the car and look closely they're visible.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 07:42 AM   #5
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M435i

If this is a brand new car, I wouldnt accept this at delivery, the more if they really polished this out with tons of wax which disappears after few weeks and the scratches are back again.
Dunno if that justifies a repaint, but I can tell you from my last new car pick-up at VW we sent the car three times back for solving the damaged or scratched paint and left at least as all damages are repaired.

How can you face a problem when the problem is your face?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 07:50 AM   #6
charpour
Private
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDH View Post
As above really, the general rule of thumb is if you can feel a scratch with your fingernail (rub over it to see if you can get your nail in it) then its probably not going to possible to remove it 100%. However a machine polish by a detailer or suitably competent person will certainly improve things.

If you want to see if they're still there (covered up by fillers) I would suggest a really good clean (pre wash, wash, iron out, tar remover and clay bar) followed up by wiping down the bonnet with diluted isopropanol to remove all remnants of wax.

On another point...

If this were my car it worry me a little because if any old bloke at the dealer attacked your bonnet with a machine polisher and removed to much lacquer in the process it may appear that you have an uneven amount of paint on the car. By this I mean I've just had a paint corrosion warranty claim rejected due to uneven paint thickness on my bonnet. Dealers said its had a re-spray as the paint thickness is uneven and as it wasn't done at an approved paint shop warranty is void, I know its not had a re-spray but has had some scratches machine polished. Unfortunately I didn't use a detailer I went the cheapest route and am now paying for my error.

Anyway I'd be getting the paint thickness checked to ensure there isn't any large differences in paint depth that may come back to bite you as it has done with me.
Thank you for your suggestion. I am too worried whether they've removed too much lacquer.. no idea how they fixed it. I think I need to bring the car to a good detailer and see what they think about it (e.g. check the paint thickness).

I can't help but ask myself everyday when I see those small scratches, how on earth can a 50k EUR car be delivered with such issues? I've come to the conclusion that in order to get a car in its factory condition, you have to go and get it from the factory yourself...
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 07:54 AM   #7
charpour
Private
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
If this is a brand new car, I wouldnt accept this at delivery, the more if they really polished this out with tons of wax which disappears after few weeks and the scratches are back again.
Dunno if that justifies a repaint, but I can tell you from my last new car pick-up at VW we sent the car three times back for solving the damaged or scratched paint and left at least as all damages are repaired.
Totally agree with you but I had to take the delivery as I believe they were going to make things worse..

I was thinking that scratches like those are fixable but after reading some threads and posts on this forum, I realized that I may have to live with it which drives me crazy
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 07:58 AM   #8
snipnoob86
Captain
Rep

a respray was just an option, one you absolutely want to avoid at all costs 100%. it will look alot worse afterwards due to the risks that come with bodyshop spraying * orange peel, milking, etc etc * and also the adjecent panels have to be blended to the newly painted bonnet. which always causes swirling and milking and is easier said than done.

this for you on that car, as new as it is. just is not worth its at all
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 08:00 AM   #9
snipnoob86
Captain
Rep

id be tempted for you to seek compensation in the form of future servicing, or something like that. and try to let time do its thing on the bonnet
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 09:11 AM   #10
Trcb777
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

It's hard to determine the depth of the scratches from pics but a good detailed can most likely remove them for good if it's just a clear coat scratch. The detailer would do a paint correction using the least invasive rubbing compound to get the job done then followed up with a polish and then a wax / sealant protection.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 09:16 AM   #11
smithf32
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F32 428 MSport

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to smithf32
Those scratches look like the kind that don't polish out to me but it could just be the pictures.

You really need to take it to a pro detailer and then just bill the dealership for the work, or don't accept the car.

2014 F32 428i XDrive - MSport, Premium, Cold Weather, Drivers Assistance, Navi - Click for build thread
Mods (so far): M Performance Exhaust, Diffusor, and Grills. Trunk Lip, Painted Reflectors, Coding
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 09:34 AM   #12
Billfitz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328iX GT

A good paint shop would use an air brush to fill the scratches with clear coat, then sand and buff it out. With scratches of that sort you can fill with clear coat, wet sand with 2000 and 3000 grits, then hand rub with compound and polish. The entire process would take less than an hour, aside from the curing time for the clear coat.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 09:40 AM   #13
charpour
Private
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
A good paint shop would use an air brush to fill the scratches with clear coat, then sand and buff it out. With scratches of that sort you can fill with clear coat, wet sand with 2000 and 3000 grits, then hand rub with compound and polish. The entire process would take less than an hour, aside from the curing time for the clear coat.
Would that be a permanent fix or they'll show up again after some time?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 01:38 PM   #14
Billfitz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by charpour View Post
Would that be a permanent fix or they'll show up again after some time?
Permanent, as the clear coat would fill the scratches. You use an airbrush with scratches, as there's no need for the wide spray pattern of a regular gun, which only creates that much more area to sand and rub out. I do my own scratches with this technique, it's invisible and they never reappear.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 04:28 PM   #15
charpour
Private
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Permanent, as the clear coat would fill the scratches. You use an airbrush with scratches, as there's no need for the wide spray pattern of a regular gun, which only creates that much more area to sand and rub out. I do my own scratches with this technique, it's invisible and they never reappear.
Very helpful thanks for the information!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 12:54 AM   #16
Luongo
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i M SPORT 6MT

It might just be a remaining residue from the protective film that your dealer removed when prepping the car for delivery.

Try rubbing it with a microfiber towel and see if it comes off. I had something similar on my car and it came right off.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 02:56 AM   #17
Emilim
Dust Bunny
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 328i xDrive M Sport

There's a difference between waxing and polishing and I'm seeing them being thrown around interchangeably here.

Waxing referring to adding a protective layer of wax to your existing paint and clearcoat to protect them. It does have the additional benefit of smoothing out fine scratches and imperfections temporarily so it is less visible until the wax wears off.

Polishing is an entirely different process where compounds of various abrasiveness are used to remove thin layers of the clearcoat in order to remove surface scratches. While a simple polish will take care of fine scratches, deeper scratches will require more aggressive approach like wet sanding or cut polishing to remove the scratch. As long as the scratch did not remove paint, you can probably remove it and thus "repair" the scratch.

I can't tell if the scratches are deep enough from my phone but take it to a shop. Use some windex (it removes wax) on the repaired area and if you see the scratches reappear then all they did was apply wax and tried to BS you.
      03-01-2016, 05:18 AM   #18
charpour
Private
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilim View Post
There's a difference between waxing and polishing and I'm seeing them being thrown around interchangeably here.

Waxing referring to adding a protective layer of wax to your existing paint and clearcoat to protect them. It does have the additional benefit of smoothing out fine scratches and imperfections temporarily so it is less visible until the wax wears off.

Polishing is an entirely different process where compounds of various abrasiveness are used to remove thin layers of the clearcoat in order to remove surface scratches. While a simple polish will take care of fine scratches, deeper scratches will require more aggressive approach like wet sanding or cut polishing to remove the scratch. As long as the scratch did not remove paint, you can probably remove it and thus "repair" the scratch.

I can't tell if the scratches are deep enough from my phone but take it to a shop. Use some windex (it removes wax) on the repaired area and if you see the scratches reappear then all they did was apply wax and tried to BS you.
They said they did some fine polishing!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 05:21 AM   #19
charpour
Private
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luongo View Post
It might just be a remaining residue from the protective film that your dealer removed when prepping the car for delivery.

Try rubbing it with a microfiber towel and see if it comes off. I had something similar on my car and it came right off.
At that point I still hadn't received the car so I couldn't try anything.

After I collected it, those scratches weren't there (the ones visible in the images above, even though there are some similar but smaller ones on the top of the car and few on the back). They said they did some fine polishing. I really hope they did so instead of waxing.. so that scratches won't reappear..

Thanks for all replies and suggestions on this thread!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 09:52 AM   #20
Billfitz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilim View Post
deeper scratches will require more aggressive approach like wet sanding or cut polishing to remove the scratch.
The problem is that this doesn't remove the scratch. It removes the clear coat around the scratch, taking it down to the depth of the scratch. It might look OK, but your finish is compromised. That's why the best repair is one that fills the scratch.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 10:32 AM   #21
charpour
Private
Greece
Rep

Quote:
The problem is that this doesn't remove the scratch. It removes the clear coat around the scratch, taking it down to the depth of the scratch. It might look OK, but your finish is compromised. That's why the best repair is one that fills the scratch.
I hope then that they haven't removed too much clear coat to fix the issue. I'll bring the car to a good (from what I heard) detailer next week, is it possible for them to check if the dealer removed too much clear coat?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 10:36 AM   #22
Trcb777
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:
That depends on the scratch. Most light scratches and swirl marks are in the very top layer of the clear and that's why a good detailer will use the least abrasive product to get the job done and remove a minimal amount of clear. Plus they can measure the depth of the clear to make sure it's not compromised.
Appreciate 0