F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Who else wishes BMW would offer a 2 series with the feature set of a 5 series
European Auto Source

04-06-2017, 10:44 AM   #1
SteveinArizona
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Who else wishes BMW would offer a 2 series with the feature set of a 5 series

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I like a small, maneuverable sporty vehicle but I also like the features of the bigger series like nappa leather, leather dash, etc. I really dislike the tendency of automakers to keep making their model bigger.

I wonder if I am alone in this regard or if there are many others like me that BMW is not currently meeting the needs of (I know I ended the sentence in a preposition).
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 10:52 AM   #2
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

I'd buy a 240 Grand Coupe with a 6 speed manny and nicer interior all day long
      04-06-2017, 10:52 AM   #3
adhrp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i (F30)

I am absolutely with you on this. I really wish BMW would offer the 2 series (esp the M240i) with 5 series(esque) features. I would jump on it.

2012 328i Luxury Line | Glacier Silver/Saddle Brown | Premium pkg | Tech pkg | Cold weather pkg | Lighting pkg | Park Distance Control | Anti-theft alarm system
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 11:24 AM   #4
SteveinArizona
Private First Class
Rep

I should add that, of course, I am prepared to pay for the higher feature set. I just want the features without having to drive a land yacht!
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2017, 11:40 AM   #5
jeffc83
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

Couldn't agree more! I'd opt for the leather dash, cooled seats (miss them a LOT), upgraded LED ambient lighting, sound system, larger screen, digital cluster and the "upgraded" leather versus Dakota. I'm sure I'd add more but that would be a start. What would you pay for this car with everything you wanted? I'd pay up to 70k for something like that...everything fits like a glove AND all the features one could ask for!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 12:09 PM   #6
drive335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i, MK7 GTI

I don't think it's a good idea. The 2 series is expensive enough as is and knowing BMW they would bundle in a few features that you want into the more expensive option packages. And at that point there's no reason not to get an M2 (unless you lease).

I would rather them focus on driving dynamics for that car.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 12:32 PM   #7
jeffc83
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive335 View Post
I don't think it's a good idea. The 2 series is expensive enough as is and knowing BMW they would bundle in a few features that you want into the more expensive option packages. And at that point there's no reason not to get an M2 (unless you lease).

I can see your point but at least for me, the 2-series had perfect driving dynamics when I drove one like I stole it for a few days...I really couldn't ask for more in that department except maybe a steering feel improvement. M2? Personally, I don't need nor want that kind of power so all that's left to "desire" are more features. The M2 does not offer much more in terms of "luxury" features.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 01:08 PM   #8
SteveinArizona
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I understand but if they are options, then you would not have to select them but persons like me would. I want the choice. Fast, maneuverable, classic BMW performance in a small package (as long as I can fit my golf clubs the smaller the better for me).
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 01:13 PM   #9
goj
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

This would go against almost every automakers business model. You need to pay a higher entrance price for the option of more features.

Of course as a consumer we want the option of everything but to be honest, adding lots of those features wouldn't be worthwhile because people buying the 2 series aren't looking for those luxuries
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 01:17 PM   #10
drive335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I understand but if they are options, then you would not have to select them but persons like me would. I want the choice. Fast, maneuverable, classic BMW performance in a small package (as long as I can fit my golf clubs the smaller the better for me).
I see where you're coming from but IMO this line of thinking is part of the problem that has been plaguing BMW for years.

They take a perfectly good sports car/sedan, and add more luxury features. Over time it starts adding up, the car gets bigger/heavier, and it becomes a car built for everyone instead of a purpose-built sports car.

Obviously a car built for everyone is good for BMW's sales numbers and the vast majority of people that drive the car. But there's no denying that it also distances BMW from the sporty brand they once were.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2017, 01:24 PM   #11
Bongoxxx
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
This would go against almost every automakers business model. You need to pay a higher entrance price for the option of more features.
I disagree, many of the mainstream manufacturers have figured out that customers want "high end" features in their entry level and/or smaller cars.

7-8 years ago, you couldn't get features like navigation, leather, heated seats, backup cameras/sensors on a Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Ford Focus, Hyundai Elantra etc. You had to move up the model lineup to get premium features.

Most Luxury manufacturers have not gone in that direction as generally their customers are willing to pay more to get what they want.

Today you can equip a civic with everything you can get in a loaded accord, and that is similar across most mainstream manufacturers. Most base Toyota models now come with standard "safety" features that are packaged in expensive uograde packages with BMW.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2017, 01:39 PM   #12
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 335 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
Quote:

I can see your point but at least for me, the 2-series had perfect driving dynamics when I drove one like I stole it for a few days...I really couldn't ask for more in that department except maybe a steering feel improvement. M2? Personally, I don't need nor want that kind of power so all that's left to "desire" are more features. The M2 does not offer much more in terms of "luxury" features.
Yes. I feel like I'd be giving up stuff like HUD etc.

I would get an M2 as a second car, an an X1/2 for my daily.
      04-06-2017, 01:45 PM   #13
jeffc83
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
Yes. I feel like I'd be giving up stuff like HUD etc.

I would get an M2 as a second car, an an X1/2 for my daily.
Almost forgot that too plus I would like an oil temp gauge with the 2-er; is this too much to ask? Should be standard for the ultimate driving machine, ESPECIALLY a 2.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2017, 01:47 PM   #14
spuntyb
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31

Get a Porsche.

Btw, I feel your pain and agree.
Appreciate 2
      04-06-2017, 01:48 PM   #15
jeffc83
First Lieutenant
Rep

^^ LMAO
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 01:53 PM   #16
goj
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongoxxx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
I disagree, many of the mainstream manufacturers have figured out that customers want "high end" features in their entry level and/or smaller cars.

7-8 years ago, you couldn't get features like navigation, leather, heated seats, backup cameras/sensors on a Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Ford Focus, Hyundai Elantra etc. You had to move up the model lineup to get premium features.

Most Luxury manufacturers have not gone in that direction as generally their customers are willing to pay more to get what they want.

Today you can equip a civic with everything you can get in a loaded accord, and that is similar across most mainstream manufacturers. Most base Toyota models now come with standard "safety" features that are packaged in expensive uograde packages with BMW.
You're missing the point. You can get a 2 series with all the features of a loaded Honda etc, but the premium stuff the OP is mentioning and that people have mentioned prior in the thread like leather dash etc wouldn't be of interest to many 2 series.

yes you can get all those features on a loaded Honda or whatever but you also have to pay for the top spec of a particular model to get them. Just like in BMW.

In terms of safety features yeah sure, are you surprised BMW nickels and dimes for everything? They always have. The value prop for Toyota/Honda is bang for the buck with features. BMWs value prop largely has to do with performance and status.

Back to my point. BMW is not going to tool up features for a car that will be sold in too low volume. Period end of story.
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 01:59 PM   #17
metallicpea
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT

I agree to some extent.

I like the idea of a smaller RWD sedan with great dynamics and the option of a few higher end features like better leather, finer materials, leather dash, high end audio, but I don't want to cram tech options until it weighs 4k and becomes a mini executive mobile like the 5.
2005 M3 6MT Jet Black w/Cinnamon
2016 F30 320i ZSP
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 02:04 PM   #18
jeffc83
First Lieutenant
Rep

If they strap on a 1,000 pound computer to it, no thanks. We're talking pretty COMMON options here that even lower end car manufacturers offer and do not increase weight. Better leather doesn't weigh more nor do multi-color LEDs and maybe that leather dash weighs less!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 03:05 PM   #19
bimmer456
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

It is more of a drivers car and dosent need a lot of weight added as was mentioned not to mention higher prices. M2 is great at its current price point even fully loaded.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #20
uncleruckus
no relation
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive

The way I look at it, is that in the BMW world (aside from the M cars), you may not be able select certain luxury things, however you CAN select the same engine that is found in the higher models (for example, the 340i has a B58.... as the 540i). Looking at the Honda, I cannot spec a Civic with the V6 found in the Accords. Similarly, I can't spec a Honda fit with the Civic Turbo engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 03:16 PM   #21
jeffc83
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
It is more of a drivers car and dosent need a lot of weight added as was mentioned not to mention higher prices. M2 is great at its current price point even fully loaded.
I really don't know the answer but does the M2 come with cooled seats or are they at least ventilated? My back sweats so much in these seats, I will never buy another car without them. It's bad enough to form a damn puddle on my back let alone the swamp ass when getting out. (nasty feeling to say the least) And here the past three cars I said it was completely useless...biting my tongue now on that one:/ To me a driver's car is what BMW is but it also need to keep the driver "dry", lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 03:17 PM   #22
BEM-S4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Next gen will get trickle down tech but not necessarily luxury features like the nicer leather. Sure you could argue on a 240 buyers would pay but you'd have to do things differently in the same plant they make the $30k 230. Just doesn't make sense from a margin perspective.
2006 330ci Bone Stock Always Spotless
Appreciate 0