F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Drive for a Cause: 340i and other thoughts

07-16-2016, 08:01 PM   #1
otay
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Sport Line

Drive for a Cause: 340i and other thoughts

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Went to the Drive for a Cause event today.

- Drove a Panamera. Pretty sure it was just the base model. Thought it flexed a bit, and was basically a pig until put into Sport mode, which made it acceptable. Nothing special anyway.
- Drove a 650i GC M-Sport. Melbourne Red w/ Cognac interior. My impression: god-like.

Then I drove a 340i M-Sport with Track & Technology packages. This particular 3-series was not representing today, and I'm surprised BMW let this thing out for the event.
1st thing I noticed: could not believe the squeaks and rattles! Holy sh!t. Both back doors were plainly heard ALL THE TIME. And maybe the sun roof?
2nd thing: very apparent high pitched gear noise heard when accelerating.
3rd: Yes, the engine is better. More punch in mid-range RPMs than my 335i. But honestly not enough to make me think: I gotta have this.
4th: didn't notice much difference in suspension when changing modes. Thought I could detect it was a bit more stiff in Sport, but again...not hugely different, or much softer in Comfort. I still maintain the standard Sport suspension is GREAT.
5th: Even in Sport mode, it didn't seem to down-shift fast enough when rolling along at a moderate speed and then punching it. Like a second or 2 delay.

You may be thinking: this guy is biased because he's one of those people who thinks his car is best. Not true! I went into this drive with an open mind and am considering / analyzing what to do next when lease is up. It's kinda sad actually, that all who drove this car today probably walked away and went, "nope".

I was probably the 8th or 9th person who drove it today. When I got back, one of the BMWNA guys told me someone else had complained and he was going to drive it and see what was going on.

I really don't understand how there could be so much variance in different examples of the same car. My 335i is quiet, and I've always wondered about y'all with squeaks...now I know. What a horror show.
      07-16-2016, 08:18 PM   #2
bri1042
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 340ix with stuff

And, yet, my 340 is quiet as tomb when it comes to squeaks. So far. To Squeak or Not to Squeak seems to be a question each 3 series answers in it's own way (which isn't a great bit of auto individuality). I fought squeaks and rattles for nearly two years in my '13 328, most of which were there from day one. I was expecting to on this car, too, but haven't had an issue yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 09:05 PM   #3
goj
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Sounds like you drove a demo car that was beat on. Door squeaks and rattles are nothing new with the F30. And the difference in comfort and sport is very noticeable in my opinion.
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2016, 09:44 PM   #4
cardsdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive Msport

Interesting that you mentioned the high pitched gear noise. I don't know if what I hear on mine is the same thing but after engine reaches operating temp engine sound characteristic changes and it makes a very annoying whining/droning sound under acceleration. Drives me crazy and dealer didn't hear it and said there were no problems. I suspect you were hearing what I hear.
      07-16-2016, 10:10 PM   #5
hollandog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [4.50]
I don't if it's the demo car.

Mine doesn't have high pitch noise.
Door creak is known issue for F30 since release especially model with shadow trim (Msport). I fixed mine with tape.
Suspension is noticeable stiffer in sport. Steering is way stiffer.
B58 is little more powerful than N55.
The throttle lag could be Sport mode set to comfort drivetrain or ECU reset would fix?

Did you try Sport+?
I find in Sport+ the ride is jerkier but there is no lag in throttle + exhaust burbs.
I have Sport drivetrain set to comfort and the little throttle delay is noticeable, but the ride is smoother.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 10:17 PM   #6
KD07
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 340i

I leased a demo 340i about a month ago. Had just over 10k miles on it at the time. I have put about another 1k on it since, and have yet to hear any annoying noises such as rattles, high pitch engine noises, etc. I love everything about the car and have no complaints. I also have the msport package
      07-17-2016, 08:39 AM   #7
cmplaya
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: B58

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD07 View Post
I leased a demo 340i about a month ago. Had just over 10k miles on it at the time. I have put about another 1k on it since, and have yet to hear any annoying noises such as rattles, high pitch engine noises, etc. I love everything about the car and have no complaints. I also have the msport package
they had demo 340i with a stick? didnt know they would demo that
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 11:32 AM   #8
otay
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandog View Post

Door creak is known issue for F30 since release especially model with shadow trim (Msport). I fixed mine with tape.
The throttle lag could be Sport mode set to comfort drivetrain or ECU reset would fix?

Did you try Sport+?
I find in Sport+ the ride is jerkier but there is no lag in throttle + exhaust burbs.
I have Sport drivetrain set to comfort and the little throttle delay is noticeable, but the ride is smoother.
Did not try Sport+. Does this change the suspension and/or steering? In my non-adjustable suspension car, all Sport+ does is turn off DTC (Dynamic Traction Control).

Demo car or not, someone coordinating this event should have paid more attention and made sure the 340i was well sorted. The other point I was trying to make was that it seems quality can vary to a large degree. Fun fact: I had my transmission replaced last year due to lag when shifting between gears. The good news is that it works pretty well now.
      07-17-2016, 12:50 PM   #9
tturedraider
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 Sonora E90 330i sport pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by otay View Post
Did not try Sport+. Does this change the suspension and/or steering? In my non-adjustable suspension car, all Sport+ does is turn off DTC (Dynamic Traction Control).

Demo car or not, someone coordinating this event should have paid more attention and made sure the 340i was well sorted. The other point I was trying to make was that it seems quality can vary to a large degree. Fun fact: I had my transmission replaced last year due to lag when shifting between gears. The good news is that it works pretty well now.
Same as with your car, all Sport+ does is enable Dynamic Traction Control. DTC is enabled, rather than disabled, because having it "on" actually allows a certain amount of wheel spin. The default setting is that Dynamic Stability Control immediately intervenes to stop all wheel spin as soon as it is detected.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Then and than are different words. Then = Time, Than = Comparison
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 07:14 PM   #10
goj
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by otay
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandog View Post

Did you try Sport+?

Quality has a variance in all products. Especially complex machines with complex components. Not just a BMW thing here. I had a ton of warranty claims/fixes on my Honda that I had.
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 07:20 PM   #11
hollandog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Same as with your car, all Sport+ does is enable Dynamic Traction Control. DTC is enabled, rather than disabled, because having it "on" actually allows a certain amount of wheel spin. The default setting is that Dynamic Stability Control immediately intervenes to stop all wheel spin as soon as it is detected.
Because Sport+ eliminates the possibility of the drivetrain is set to comfort in Sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 07:26 PM   #12
KD07
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmplaya
Quote:
they had demo 340i with a stick? didnt know they would demo that
Yup, they got it at a dealer auction I believe the salesman said. If I were looking to buy it, I wouldn't have chose this one because of that, but as a lease why not just get the car you want with the best deal possible
      07-17-2016, 08:00 PM   #13
tturedraider
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 Sonora E90 330i sport pkg

Quote:
Yup, they got it at a dealer auction I believe the salesman said. If I were looking to buy it, I wouldn't have chose this one because of that, but as a lease why not just get the car you want with the best deal possible
More than likely it was a BMWNA executive demo, one of the best ways to get a great deal on a new car.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Then and than are different words. Then = Time, Than = Comparison
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 10:38 PM   #14
tuco44
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive MPerf EB

My month-old 340i has none of the issues that the OP is complaining about. Just saying.