F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Possible to retrofit parking assist?
GTB Performance

01-20-2014, 10:57 AM   #1
carzaddict
Captain

Drives: M-Sport 328i X-drive

Possible to retrofit parking assist?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Is it possible to retrofit parking assist? what components are tied with this option? Is it possible to do via coding?

I already have front and rear PDC as well as a backup camera. For a $500 option, im thinking there might not be a lot involved to putting it together

can someone shed some info? Thanks in advance
      01-20-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
jp-delmar

Drives: '14 BMW 428i Estoril Blue

The Parking Assist feature requires ultrasound sensors in the front wheel arches, which are not included with front and rear PDC. So it's not merely coding.
Previous: '89 325i Coupe 5MT
Previous: '85 325e 5MT
jp-delmar is offline   United_States
      01-20-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
carzaddict
Captain

thats good to know!

anyone know the part numbers for the sensors?
      01-21-2014, 11:13 PM   #4
roxxor
Private First Class

Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport

Based on your info from your sig, the parts diagram is here: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...87&hg=66&fg=05 (however, you may want to enter your last 7 of vin to ensure it is accurate).

From this, it looks like you will need to order the brackets, module, and 2 sensors(front and rear), not to mention wiring(not shown on this diagram, you may have to do some further "digging" to find that). Module and sensors seem to only be available overseas(not available on some of the popular US based OEM sites), but runs about $220(module) and $160(sensor, each) before shipping. So just for those parts your at about $540, so I'd ballpark it at about $700 to complete the project, give or take on shipping. Of course, then you have to code it too

Hope this helps!
      01-21-2014, 11:28 PM   #5
carzaddict
Captain

thank you VERY much...that was very helpful.

sounds like its going to have to be a spring/summer time project when the weather is warm. oh well
      01-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #6
menncars
Second Lieutenant

Drives: F30-320i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
Based on your info from your sig, the parts diagram is here: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...87&hg=66&fg=05 (however, you may want to enter your last 7 of vin to ensure it is accurate).

From this, it looks like you will need to order the brackets, module, and 2 sensors(front and rear), not to mention wiring(not shown on this diagram, you may have to do some further "digging" to find that). Module and sensors seem to only be available overseas(not available on some of the popular US based OEM sites), but runs about $220(module) and $160(sensor, each) before shipping. So just for those parts your at about $540, so I'd ballpark it at about $700 to complete the project, give or take on shipping. Of course, then you have to code it too

Hope this helps!
Isn't it 4 sensors per bumper? I got quoted a little under a grand US with coding. Waiting for warmer months.
      01-25-2014, 11:03 PM   #7
roxxor
Private First Class

Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport

4 sensors per bumper sounds like PDC(audio/visual warning when backing up/parking), not park assist(car "parks" for you, so to speak). A grand per bumper is what the typical pdc retrofits cost from some of the vendors, however I'm currently waiting on some of parts to arrive that I was able to source for much less and I can code it myself, hope to have a DIY for rear pdc retrofit in the next month or two. If you search, there's already a good front pdc retrofit DIY which was a good source of info for some parts, just had to look for the m-sport versions for mine