F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Adding M1/M2 buttons?
Extreme Power House

02-05-2017, 04:33 PM   #1
wildjeff
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Adding M1/M2 buttons?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I have a 340i MSPORT without Active Crouse Control which means I have two empty ďbuttonsĒ on my steering wheel where the ACC buttons would be. I would like to buy the F80 M3 steering wheel controls that have the M1 and M2 button and install it in my car.

Iím assuming the buttons would send out M1/ M2 CAN messages that that car would ignore since I donít have the M3.

Is there a device that will receive one CAN message and retransmit a different CAN message?

Iím thinking if there was a device that would see the M1/M2 CAN messages then retransmit another message, I could install the BMW M3 steering wheel controls and use those buttons for whatever I want. I my case I was thinking about using them to mimic the SPORT/ECO buttons.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 02:41 PM   #2
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M3

I have the F80 steering wheel in my F30.

I have the buttons as well, not installed though. I swapped the original buttons from my F30 m sport steering wheel before installing the F80 wheel.

I was going to test and see what happens if I install them. There is a way to code m button config into the cic (and NBT i guess) even if you dont have an M3/4.

If I ever get around to this I will let you know my results. If you find a way to get some sort of emulator to relay the eco / sport please let me know!

I wanted to do the same as you BTW, except comfort and sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjeff View Post
I have a 340i MSPORT without Active Crouse Control which means I have two empty ďbuttonsĒ on my steering wheel where the ACC buttons would be. I would like to buy the F80 M3 steering wheel controls that have the M1 and M2 button and install it in my car.

Iím assuming the buttons would send out M1/ M2 CAN messages that that car would ignore since I donít have the M3.

Is there a device that will receive one CAN message and retransmit a different CAN message?

Iím thinking if there was a device that would see the M1/M2 CAN messages then retransmit another message, I could install the BMW M3 steering wheel controls and use those buttons for whatever I want. I my case I was thinking about using them to mimic the SPORT/ECO buttons.
07.07 Production E92 M3 :: Akrapovic XPipe + Rear End | BPMTune Stage 2 Tune | 3M 1080 Metallic Blue Wrap | Black BBS CH-R's | Michellin Pilot Super Sports | Performance Steering Wheel v2.0 | FLA Retrofit | CIC+Combox Retrofit | OEM Carbon Splitters | CF Gills | OEM Black Gloss Grills | MS-8 DSP + HD900/5 Amplifier + JL Audio 12" | LCI Tails Retrofit | Ultimate Clutch Pedal + Clutch Stop | Leatherz M5 Weighted Shift Knob | Much more...
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:05 PM   #3
airwalk776
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive35is

I installed a m5 steering wheel on a 750LI and the m1 and m2 buttons do not work, did you happen to figure out how to code them with e-sys to sport or sport+ mode?
Appreciate 0