F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Top view retrofit?
European Auto Source

Yesterday, 08:22 PM   #1
ABE2(aw/sw)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xdrive

Top view retrofit?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi guys,

Can anyone give me some inputs on how to retrofit the top view camera? I have rear view camera and the hole top view sounds very nice to me. Where can get parts --any advised is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:40 PM   #2
smithf32
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F32 428 MSport

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to smithf32
I was thinking about this too but I wouldn't pay more than 500 bucks to retrofit it which obviously isn't happening.

I'll just tell you now a retrofit would cost too much.

2014 F32 428i XDrive - MSport, Premium, Cold Weather, Drivers Assistance, Navi - Click for build thread
RETIRED - 2007 328xi - LCI Conversion w/ M3 Rep front, CIC Retrofit, MULF2 Retrofit, F30 Sport Rims
Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:31 AM   #3
franzzz
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABE2(aw/sw) View Post
Hi guys,

Can anyone give me some inputs on how to retrofit the top view camera? I have rear view camera and the hole top view sounds very nice to me. Where can get parts --any advised is appreciated.
for my point of view it's possible.

You need 4 new cameras, cables,installation coding and the main ECU if the actual rear cam ecu have only one input.. The cost are very expensive.
BMW F30 Hybrid 370cv JB&MPE - B40 - step8M Sport - Navi - USB-DivX-DVD-TV - Btooth - VoiceControl - Connect - App - Online - TrafficInfo - SpLimInfo - VenetoBeige - PDC - Cam - LedFog - Roof - Antitheft - Servotronic - AdaptiveM - GarageDoorOpen - K&N
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:39 AM   #4
steelerfan
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Msport 6MT F25 X3.35

unfortunately for us in the US.... we cant get the retrofit cables from our US BMW dealers which really sucks. they are very hard to find the exact part # & will have to be sourced from a non US dealer.

problem 2 is your control unit will have to be replaced, run you about $500 itself. you could sell your original on ebay to recoup a lot of that cost.

the cameras are expensive too... if you get lucky you can find some on ebay for $150 or so (which is far cheaper than new pricing)

if you had all those parts, then you need to code it which would be the easiest part of the retrofit.

i racked up $2k retrofitting front/rear PDC & reverse camera for my car. oh what started off with one $50 sensor i scored on ebay turned into a $2k project. I did buy the control module that would allow me to add all the cameras at some point in the future... believe i would have rather had BMW performance brakes instead...

still waiting for the weather to turn around so i can install it all..
      Today, 07:48 AM   #5
claykin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerfan
unfortunately for us in the US.... we cant get the retrofit cables from our US BMW dealers which really sucks. they are very hard to find the exact part # & will have to be sourced from a non US dealer.

problem 2 is your control unit will have to be replaced, run you about $500 itself. you could sell your original on ebay to recoup a lot of that cost.

the cameras are expensive too... if you get lucky you can find some on ebay for $150 or so (which is far cheaper than new pricing)

if you had all those parts, then you need to code it which would be the easiest part of the retrofit.

i racked up $2k retrofitting front/rear PDC & reverse camera for my car. oh what started off with one $50 sensor i scored on ebay turned into a $2k project. I did buy the control module that would allow me to add all the cameras at some point in the future... believe i would have rather had BMW performance brakes instead...

you can get camera repair cables through US dealers. your dealer parts dept or shop foreman can get the part numbers. Repair cables are used for vehicles with defective cables or those needing collision repair.
      Today, 08:06 AM   #6
smithf32
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post

Don't you need new mirror housings too that have the cutouts for the cameras?

I wonder how bad it would be cost wise if you already have front/rear PDC and rear view cam, I assume the module is already in place.

EDIT (well not really an edit as I was researching while posting this but I want people to see the original questions for others who might have the same one): Just answered my own question, even if you have front/rear PDC and rear view cam you still need a new module for the sideview cameras. Cheapest I found the cameras for are 200+18 shipping from Lithuania, than around 450 for the control module so we are approaching 1k, still need wiring and possibly new mirror housings.

2014 F32 428i XDrive - MSport, Premium, Cold Weather, Drivers Assistance, Navi - Click for build thread
RETIRED - 2007 328xi - LCI Conversion w/ M3 Rep front, CIC Retrofit, MULF2 Retrofit, F30 Sport Rims
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:04 AM   #7
roxxor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf32 View Post
Don't you need new mirror housings too that have the cutouts for the cameras?
This (and money) has been the only reason I haven't attempted this retrofit yet. In looking at the mirror assembly, it looks like a wire runs from the camera to the wiring connector at the mounting part of the outside of the mirror. Then, a wire connects to the other side inside the door and then runs through the door loom to the module. The non-camera model mirror housings don't have the pass-through connection ports at the part where the rest of the wiring connects.

My running theory is that it is possible to replace just the bottom part of the mirror with the camera cutout($20-ish vs. hundreds to replace the whole mirror) and the since that connector port is empty, just drill out the opening and run a single cable through it, then through the door loom and to the module. Of course, this would change what cables you needed to use for the doors.

Like steelerfan, unfortunately work and the weather have kept me from working on the car much, so I haven't been able to take the door apart to remove the mirror to look at this possibility(or finish other projects). Doing it that way could make it relatively cost-effective depending on how much the module and cameras cost you, if you get lucky finding parts on eBay it could be done for $1,200 as a ballpark. And like was said above, if you have the rear camera module already, you could sell that to recoup some of the cost.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:36 AM   #8
smithf32
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
This (and money) has been the only reason I haven't attempted this retrofit yet. In looking at the mirror assembly, it looks like a wire runs from the camera to the wiring connector at the mounting part of the outside of the mirror. Then, a wire connects to the other side inside the door and then runs through the door loom to the module. The non-camera model mirror housings don't have the pass-through connection ports at the part where the rest of the wiring connects.

My running theory is that it is possible to replace just the bottom part of the mirror with the camera cutout($20-ish vs. hundreds to replace the whole mirror) and the since that connector port is empty, just drill out the opening and run a single cable through it, then through the door loom and to the module. Of course, this would change what cables you needed to use for the doors.

Like steelerfan, unfortunately work and the weather have kept me from working on the car much, so I haven't been able to take the door apart to remove the mirror to look at this possibility(or finish other projects). Doing it that way could make it relatively cost-effective depending on how much the module and cameras cost you, if you get lucky finding parts on eBay it could be done for $1,200 as a ballpark. And like was said above, if you have the rear camera module already, you could sell that to recoup some of the cost.
I was hoping you could replace just the bottom portion of the mirror housing as well.

What do you mean about selling the rear view cam module tho? Isn't the one for rear view separate? Parts show that side and top view has its own module it looks like.

Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:09 PM   #9
roxxor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf32 View Post
I was hoping you could replace just the bottom portion of the mirror housing as well.

What do you mean about selling the rear view cam module tho? Isn't the one for rear view separate? Parts show that side and top view has its own module it looks like.
Nope. There is only one module for both. For rear view only, it only has one input for the rear camera. For models with surround view, the module has 5 inputs for the 5 cameras. You would replace the rear only with a surround view module, hence why you could then sell the old one.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:36 PM   #10
smithf32
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
Nope. There is only one module for both. For rear view only, it only has one input for the rear camera. For models with surround view, the module has 5 inputs for the 5 cameras. You would replace the rear only with a surround view module, hence why you could then sell the old one.
Gotcha, just confirming.

Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:09 PM   #11
Mike_L
Tech Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

This is why I ordered (almost) everything I wanted. Retrofitting on BMWs gets expensive fast.
Appreciate 0