F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Where's my amp?
Steve Thomas BMW

03-23-2014, 10:18 AM   #1
tsv81

Drives: F31

Where's my amp?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my amp in my base audio setup but I'm not sure where the amp is! I have a 2013 F31.

I've attached pics of the two area's I've looked. The area with nothing in it is the rear passenger side (where the first aid kit is normally kept). The other two are of the rear drivers side where the battery is. Where/what is my amp?

I've also noticed a black box next to where the fuse box is. Is that it?!

Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Images

03-23-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
Fluffy bastard
Private

Drives: Pony

Send a message via ICQ to Fluffy bastard Send a message via Skype™ to Fluffy bastard
Amp should be there if your car equipped at least SA676 Hi-Fi. Otherwise all speakers connected to the headunit.
      03-23-2014, 11:47 AM   #3
tsv81

Hmm interesting. All other threads that I've read seem to imply that I can replace the factory amp with a JL audio amp by using Technics harness.

I've don't have the Hifi sound system as I've only got 6 speaker (2 front, 2 rear and 2 subs).

If I don't have an amp in the trunk/boot, how can I upgrade it easily?
      03-23-2014, 12:13 PM   #4
Fluffy bastard
Private

Send a message via ICQ to Fluffy bastard Send a message via Skype™ to Fluffy bastard
I can't tell you about custom ways. Easiest way is to retrofit your car with BMW Alpine Hi-Fi kit
      03-23-2014, 12:16 PM   #5
tsv81

The alpine retrofit has an amp though doesn't it? I would just substitute that with the custom amp so if you can tell me how to install the alpine amp, I can figure the rest out!

Thanks
      03-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #6
Fluffy bastard
Private

That would be enough, I think.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ysydusoqo5...1859677765.pdf
      03-24-2014, 05:42 AM   #7
mougwai
Private

Drives: F30 320I

I retrofited HarmanKardon in my car with basic sound (stereo).

You need to re-wired all speakers to the trunk:

and changer all speaker by H&K (8ohm for woofer under the seat)

H&K amp need 6mm2 power from rear fuse and your car must have radio compatible with most fiber.
      07-09-2014, 08:51 PM   #8
marcoac14
Private

Drives: 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mougwai View Post
I retrofited HarmanKardon in my car with basic sound (stereo).

You need to re-wired all speakers to the trunk:

and changer all speaker by H&K (8ohm for woofer under the seat)

H&K amp need 6mm2 power from rear fuse and your car must have radio compatible with most fiber.
Can you tell us more about this retrofit?
      Yesterday, 09:38 PM   #9
bcornwellatl
Private First Class

Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Reading this post pisses me off. We pay so much friggen money for BMW's... that when we finally get that "right car" the sound system sucks. I too have a 2013 F30 - I got it equipped with everything EXCEPT HK audio and Xeon lights... well those two items I'm craving every damn day! I've been searching for a good solution - but around every corner there is a problem. I have cash in hand that would buy the damn upgrades (2k or 3k) from BMW - but they don't sell anything. I've looked into BAV audio and well while the speakers are better - YOUR AMP is the head unit... it's not going to deliver anything better. Oh and the Alpine system? Not sold in the USA... so I have to figure out where to order it - and when I do, I have to find somebody in Atlanta that has the talent to install it without screwing up my new car (under warranty). Then as far as the lights go - how / why is it so damn hard to replace the lights? Why can't I just take out the entire head light assembly and replace it with one that has the right lights I want??? I can code my car but I can't do something so simple as make the radio sound better - without having to take the entire car apart to run wires... and for the HK RETRO - my understanding is the base system doesn't have the fiber optics... so you have to buy that and run it... and one more thing - our car has something in the trunk near the COMBOX... there are two female plugs there... I'm wondering just what plugs into those things? It seems like they were put there for the amp... anybody ever look into what those are?? sorry to rant - but damn I'm pissed... I NEED better sound - better lights... I have everything else... (even close to fixing gopro app to show the screen all the time on the idrive system - still a work in progress... ) if you guys know where to buy the alpine - know somebody in Atlanta that can do it (and do it RIGHT) oh and the lights - PLEASE by all means either PM me or post here... make my life a bit less hectic with BMW... OP thanks for the post!
bcornwellatl is online now   United_States