F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > iPhone 6 cradle DIY
MINHS Auto Care Center

Yesterday, 03:45 AM   #1
Driggett
Registered
Rep

Drives: 335i

iPhone 6 cradle DIY

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I looked at the iPhone 5 cradle yesterday and since my local BMW dealer was having a buy one get a second for 50% off sale I picked one up for $125. I confirmed it worked with my old iPhone 5 and then proceeded to take it apart. My plan was to cut off the side wings with a Dremel tool and see if it would work with my iPhone 6. I took it apart to plug the cable in to the iPhone 6 before I cut it up. It worked. I proceeded then to put it back together again and then used my Dremel tool with the metal and plastic cutting wheel to cut off the sides and the top lip. I was apprehensive at first but everything went smoothly. Once cleared I tried the fit and it worked. I then placed a foam pad from the inside of a bike helmet at the top to cushion the top of the iPhone and protect the camera. I then thread my daughters hair tie and used that as a top fastener. I plan to get a flat ribbon elastic piece on Friday. I need to sand down the rough edges and make it clean looking. Everything is working, the antenna, the fan and of course the lighting cable. I will write more once I have it cleaned up but for now here are some rough pics.
Thanks,
Chris
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:19 PM   #2
shawnsheridan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 535i M-Sport

Garage List
Um...where are the pics?

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:53 AM   #3
Forgiven
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: AH AW 13'

Please update your project when you can, thanks!