F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Thinkware F750 Memory Card
Extreme Power House

03-20-2016, 08:32 AM   #1
White340
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 340 xDrive

Thinkware F750 Memory Card

I am trying to find out which memory cards work with this camera.

From what I read on other forums, 128 GB cards do work (even though it says it supports up to 64gb), but only if they are high quality (e.g. Samsung PRO+).

I bought the Samsung, and it worked for a day but is now giving me memory card errors and not recognizing the card.

Has anyone used this card successfully in their camera?

What cards have you used with success over the long run?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 09:10 AM   #2
CntryClub007
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 320i

I haven't - I run the Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB, they are the only ones I can get to work that back up their claims with real numbers when I test them.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 07:02 PM   #3
Broadsword
Sustinendum Victoriam
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M Sport

Sandisk recently made a memory card specific for dash cams. Take a look at their High Endurance Video Monitoring line.

I personally use their Ultra memory cards in my BlackVue dash cam. When I look for a memory card, I look for class 10 memory cards. Every once in awhile I will get a memory card error. I later learned the reason why I was getting the memory card errors was cause there were too many "event" recordings on the dash cam. Event recordings are protected files and can only be deleted via hard format on a computer.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 08:56 AM   #4
White340
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadsword View Post
Sandisk recently made a memory card specific for dash cams. Take a look at their High Endurance Video Monitoring line.

I personally use their Ultra memory cards in my BlackVue dash cam. When I look for a memory card, I look for class 10 memory cards. Every once in awhile I will get a memory card error. I later learned the reason why I was getting the memory card errors was cause there were too many "event" recordings on the dash cam. Event recordings are protected files and can only be deleted via hard format on a computer.
Thanks for your response.

I bought the Samsung Pro+ which is supposed to be the highest quality product they make. It has read/write speeds of up to 90 MBS, is a class 10 U3 card.

My camera recognizes it sometimes (usually after complaining about a memory card error, then restarting), but this is not what I want.

The Thinkware camera is supposed to be picky with memory cards.

I bought it from BestBuy so I might just exchange it for the Sandisk one.

I will post an update if I find a resolution for everyone else.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 12:20 AM   #5
White340
Private First Class
Rep

OK So I think I found one that works.

I bought the 128GB Sandisk SDSQUSC-128G-ANCMA.

It's on sale for 69.99 right now at Best Buy.

When I put it in the camera out of the box, it said Memory Card Error.

I then formatted the card using ExFAT on Windows, put it back in the camera, and voila - it worked right away. I've been using it all day so far and have not yet had any memory card messages since then (the Samsung would work after the camera kept saying Memory Card Error and then restarted itself).

Here's the link to the card for anyone who wants to upgrade:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-...&skuId=4471009

I will post an update in a few weeks to let you know how it holds up.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 07:44 PM   #6
MSporta24
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 320D M Sport

I've used several different Sandisk sizes and also Kingston cards without any issues. What I do is first format the cards via PC/laptop and then insert into the dash cam. Seems to work with ease and no problems so far *touch wood*

I would advise using a 32gb card at the very least. If you are running both front and rear cameras you'll be surprised how quickly they fill up recording space. Obviously, dependent on how much you use the car. Hope formatting the card prior to insertion into the dash cam works for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 11:14 AM   #7
White340
Private First Class
Rep

To give an update, the 128gb sandisk card has worked fine since I got it and never given me an error.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 04:07 PM   #8
mbfanos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by White340 View Post
I am trying to find out which memory cards work with this camera.

From what I read on other forums, 128 GB cards do work (even though it says it supports up to 64gb), but only if they are high quality (e.g. Samsung PRO+).

I bought the Samsung, and it worked for a day but is now giving me memory card errors and not recognizing the card.

Has anyone used this card successfully in their camera?

What cards have you used with success over the long run?

Thanks
Could you give me a review on how well the lane assist and collision assist things work?
I'm using a B40 right now and my bro is about to give me another one. So I'll have 2 full HD dash cams. It's a bit convenience if I need to watch both of them so the F750 with rear cam is a nice option and I'm seriously considering it.
Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 05:06 PM   #9
White340
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfanos View Post
Could you give me a review on how well the lane assist and collision assist things work?
I'm using a B40 right now and my bro is about to give me another one. So I'll have 2 full HD dash cams. It's a bit convenience if I need to watch both of them so the F750 with rear cam is a nice option and I'm seriously considering it.
Thanks a lot!
I ended up turning those features off. The lane departure warning system went off more than I wanted it to. Unfortunately, it doesn't know when you are legitimately trying to switch lanes like built in systems do (via the use of a turn signal). I also found the forward collision warning went off too much in traffic. In the end, my subconscious ended up ignoring all the sounds, so I just turned it off.

What I like most about the camera is the red light camera warning system. This works really really well and has probably saved me from three tickets so far in the four months that I've had the camera.

Overall, I am very happy with the purchase of this camera and would recommend it to anyone.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 07:59 PM   #10
mbfanos
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I ended up turning those features off. The lane departure warning system went off more than I wanted it to. Unfortunately, it doesn't know when you are legitimately trying to switch lanes like built in systems do (via the use of a turn signal). I also found the forward collision warning went off too much in traffic. In the end, my subconscious ended up ignoring all the sounds, so I just turned it off.

What I like most about the camera is the red light camera warning system. This works really really well and has probably saved me from three tickets so far in the four months that I've had the camera.

Overall, I am very happy with the purchase of this camera and would recommend it to anyone.
Hmmm.
Since I always use Waze, the camera warning system isn't going to help me much.
Do you often drive at night? Could you post a few night time driving videos here? There aren't many demos on youtube for this camera .
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 02:40 PM   #11
White340
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm.
Since I always use Waze, the camera warning system isn't going to help me much.
Do you often drive at night? Could you post a few night time driving videos here? There aren't many demos on youtube for this camera .
Thanks
Wont be driving until the weekend, but i'll try to post some up after I do.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 11:18 PM   #12
mbfanos
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Wont be driving until the weekend, but i'll try to post some up after I do.
Well, I bought the F750 and I love it. The video quality is fine, similar to the B40. It does look oversharpened. It can't compete with the Street Guardian version of the B40 for sure. Anyway, I'm okay with that.
I love love love the lane change warning and collision warning. It might be annoying at first but it works very well.
This is a good buy for sure.

I have the memory card error with my Sandisk 32GB card too. I'll try the 128GB ultra plus you posted above then
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 08:54 AM   #13
PuterPro
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2015 320i Alpine White

Hi all

My 2 cents ... I DON'T have a cam, but I'm a Computer Tech and have more than my share of time dealing with memory cards.

I'm assuming {Ahem} this is a MicroSD you're discussing. If so, Amazon has a great deal on:

SanDisk Ultra 200GB Micro SD (SDSDQUAN-200G-G4A).
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-...=sandisk+200gb

I'm using one in my Samsung Note 4 and it's a great bang for the buck.
Class 10, 90mb/sec for high rez video and all that.

The 128GB one is $69.99 at Best Buy when on sale, but this 200GB is only $78.99 at Amazon. Of course, as always, with Amazon you can return it if it doesn't work... Hell of a lot more storage for not much more $$.

PuterPro

Last edited by PuterPro; 05-09-2016 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Correct a number
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 01:47 PM   #14
mbfanos
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuterPro View Post
Hi all

My 2 cents ... I DON'T have a cam, but I'm a Computer Tech and have more than my share of time dealing with memory cards.

I'm assuming {Ahem} this is a MicroSD you're discussing. If so, Amazon has a great deal on:

SanDisk Ultra 200GB Micro SD (SDSDQUAN-200G-G4A).
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-...=sandisk+200gb

I'm using one in my Samsung Note 4 and it's a great bang for the buck.
Class 10, 90mb/sec for high rez video and all that.

The 128GB one is $69.99 at Best Buy when on sale, but this 200GB is only $78.99 at Amazon. Of course, as always, with Amazon you can return it if it doesn't work... Hell of a lot more storage for not much more $$.

PuterPro
Yes I do notice that. But I wish it would be that simple
The 200GB is UP TO 90MB/s read, write is only 10-15MB/s. Sometimes, it drops to 3MB/s. Anyway, that is not the problem for sure. The problem is the freaking dashcam doesn't not accept that card . It accepts the previous version but not the newest one from SanDisk. I don't know why but that is the way it is.
Same thing with Samsung PRO+ micro sd card. Some people reported it worked with their F750, but OP said his PRO+ card didn't work with his.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 03:35 PM   #15
PuterPro
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2015 320i Alpine White

Quote:
Yes I do notice that. But I wish it would be that simple
The 200GB is UP TO 90MB/s read, write is only 10-15MB/s. Sometimes, it drops to 3MB/s. Anyway, that is not the problem for sure. The problem is the freaking dashcam doesn't not accept that card . It accepts the previous version but not the newest one from SanDisk. I don't know why but that is the way it is.
Same thing with Samsung PRO+ micro sd card. Some people reported it worked with their F750, but OP said his PRO+ card didn't work with his.
Yeah, I got you on the write speed! It works fine on my Note 4 phone's video at 1080p/30fps, but it still may not be fast enough for your cam. Differences in the Processor and Memory controller. The Note 4's pretty fast.

Drag.

There's a number of sites where people post their real world speed tests for the various cards. Try Googling "MicroSD card speed results", never know...

There's also the problem of fakes... cards labeled as a particular Brand & Size, but when tested are really a much smaller card relabeled and forced to look like it's bigger.

Says it's a "64GB", and it will work fine up to 4GB (or whatever scam size it REALLY is) then it starts to corrupt data!

The things these jerk scammers come up with!

Well, I tried.

PuterPro
Appreciate 0