F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > daytime running light (halo) help
Steve Thomas BMW

05-04-2015, 08:14 PM   #1
king95
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

daytime running light (halo) help

Need advice... I have a 2011 BMW 335i and recently changed my daytime running light bulb from an original bulb to a LED bulb. It was simple enough, I opened the cover cap and twisted the original bulb out of the socket and replaced the bulb with the new LED, I then twisted the bulb back into place. now only the inner halo lights up on both sides. Have I missed something??
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #2
RSnic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by king95 View Post
Need advice... I have a 2011 BMW 335i and recently changed my daytime running light bulb from an original bulb to a LED bulb. It was simple enough, I opened the cover cap and twisted the original bulb out of the socket and replaced the bulb with the new LED, I then twisted the bulb back into place. now only the inner halo lights up on both sides. Have I missed something??
King95,

On my 2014 F30, when I changed my DRL halogen bulbs to LEDs, I had to deactivate both warm & cold bulb checks and tell the car that the bulb was LED. If you do not make these coding changes, then the bulbs will flicker at start up and every couple of minutes.

Think your codes may be different; BUT here are the F30 coding items:
  • 3061 LCELCIOUTPUTCHANNELS > FEM> TFL_L_KALTUEBERWACHNUNG > from aktiv to nicht_aktiv
  • 3061 LCELCIOUTPUTCHANNELS > FEM> TFL_L_WARMUEBERWACHNUNG > from aktiv to nicht_aktiv
  • 3061 LCELCIOUTPUTCHANNELS > FEM> TFL_L_IS_LED > from nicht_aktiv to aktiv
  • 3061 LCELCIOUTPUTCHANNELS > FEM> TFL_R_KALTUEBERWACHNUNG > from aktiv to nicht_aktiv
  • 3061 LCELCIOUTPUTCHANNELS > FEM> TFL_R_WARMUEBERWACHNUNG > from aktiv to nicht_aktiv
  • 3061 LCELCIOUTPUTCHANNELS > FEM> TFL_R_IS_LED > from nicht_aktiv to aktiv

Again, this is for F30 series and I think you have E90 series.

Hope that helps

2014 328i | Technology | Premium | Cold Weather | Harmon Kardon Audio | Manual|
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 01:48 PM   #3
king95
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.. I do have the E90. The LED is solid and does not blink at all. I twist it back in and the inner halo is as bright as ever but the outer halo has no light to it. I tried to turn off the drl's and then turn them back on but nothing different. I am not even sure where to find to change the codes that you provided. I even tried to put the old bulb back in and now the old bulb only lights up the inner halo???
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 08:37 AM   #4
RSnic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by king95 View Post
Hi,

Thank you for the reply.. I do have the E90. The LED is solid and does not blink at all. I twist it back in and the inner halo is as bright as ever but the outer halo has no light to it. I tried to turn off the drl's and then turn them back on but nothing different. I am not even sure where to find to change the codes that you provided. I even tried to put the old bulb back in and now the old bulb only lights up the inner halo???
King95,
Well, I can tell you that the coding items I referred to are either in FEM (that Forward Electronics Module) or some such (on F30s, it's called FEM_BODY)

Sound like there is some kind of wiring problem and, unfortunately, my only suggestion is to take it to a dealer.

Sorry

2014 328i | Technology | Premium | Cold Weather | Harmon Kardon Audio | Manual|
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 08:50 AM   #5
USC2000
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport

You may want to try posting in the e90 forum for more help, but it seems like something is blocking the light output from going into the halo ring.
Appreciate 0