F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > DIY: F30 OEM towbar installation
GetBMWParts

06-07-2015, 07:28 PM   #1
crapSOOT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2011, 328xD 2014

DIY: F30 OEM towbar installation

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I searched around for any guides to do this, only ones I found were on aftermarket towbar manufacturer websites, if there is an OEM guide for this I did not find it. If someone has a pdf for the procedure please post it, it will have the proper torque values for the different bolts.
If at any time while reading this guide, you find that you are lost STOP you should not be doing this! Offer a good friend some to help you.

Disclaimer: I did this on my F30 328d X-Drive with backup sensors, no other options, and got the parts from getbmwparts, you are your own with this, your car may be different. I did not do any of the wiring or electrical work involved for use with a trailer...as yet.

I rate this a 5 just because of the detail and prep work involved, technically it is not too difficult.

I am not going to hold your hand through this, I am presuming you will know what to do if you come across something/s not mentioned here.

Tools:
T20 bit
8mm & 10mm socket or wrench with 1/4 in drive
18mm deep socket.
17mm deep socket.
Riveting tool
Adjustable wrench
Jack pads & jack stands & floor jack
!!PATIENCE!!

Procedure:

1. Prep the towbar

8. Now on to the car, jack up car and remove wheels (if you have access to a lift, even better)

and remove the tail lights

I did not take pictures of the bolts along the bottom, sorry about that, they are so obvious you cannot miss them

If you can do this you, you know you will have to remove the backup sensors and reinstall them.

I hope this helps a couple of DIYers out there and wish them good luck.
Appreciate 0