F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > F30 - read ECU firmware version and contents?
GetBMWParts

09-28-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
kkaae
Enlisted Member

Drives: F31 2012 320D 8AT lux. MPPK

F30 - read ECU firmware version and contents?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible in some way to read the actual ECU firmware version? - apart from the overall I-step level

Is it also possible to read the complete ECU firmware? - as in downloading the ECU firmware as opposed to flash update.

I am planning to have an engine ECU remap done - if the ECU firmware download is possible, will the remap then be in this part of the ECU firmware?

TIA for any insights on this
kkaae is offline   Denmark
      09-28-2014, 11:19 PM   #2
shawnsheridan
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011 535i M-Sport

Garage List
You can look at DDE / DME module in SVT and see exactly what firmware files it has, and then you can find the corresponding files in your \psdzdata\swe folder (assuming you have PSdZData Full and not Lite version).

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
shawnsheridan is offline   United_States
      09-29-2014, 09:27 AM   #3
kkaae
Enlisted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
You can look at DDE / DME module in SVT and see exactly what firmware files it has, and then you can find the corresponding files in your \psdzdata\swe folder (assuming you have PSdZData Full and not Lite version).
Thanks for the feedback, Master Shawn

Downloading the full PSdZData to try this out.

Would you know how I can download the DME/DDE firmware from the ECU to my PC as a backup to later flash back to the ECU?

Cheers
      09-29-2014, 09:37 AM   #4
shawnsheridan
Brigadier General

Garage List
Why do you need to download the firmware from DME/DDE when the firmware files are in the \psdzdata\swe folder folder?

If instead you are referring to the Coding Data in the ECU, then read the ECU, and go to you C:\Data\CAF folder and copy the .NCD file with the same file name as your DME/DDE CAFD.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
      09-29-2014, 09:43 AM   #5
kkaae
Enlisted Member

I am thinking/hoping that a DDE/DME tuning remap will be in the ECU firmware data and hence a ECU firmware backup could be done to keep handy in the case that the DDE/DME ECU gets reflashed by my BMW garage.
      09-29-2014, 09:49 AM   #6
shawnsheridan
Brigadier General

Garage List
I really do not understand what you are trying to do.

The current firmware on ECU is already in the PSdZData SWE folder.

If you modify the firmware's .BIN file to "tune it" and you Flash DME/DDE with modified .BIN file, you will always have this as backup.

So, you have both the original and the modified ones as backups, without having to do anything.

09-29-2014, 09:53 AM   #7
kkaae
Enlisted Member

I am not able to tune/remap myself, so I am getting a tuner to do this for me. So I don't have the modified DDE/DME firmware myself, but would like to download it from the ECU. With this I could also change from remap to stock before going to the BMW garage.
Get my intentions now?
      09-29-2014, 09:56 AM   #8
shawnsheridan
Brigadier General

Garage List
No, not really. You would have to send the Tuner the .BIN file, and he would return it to you to flash DME/DDE with it, unless you plan on sending him your entire DDE/DME module.

09-29-2014, 11:57 PM   #9
kkaae
Enlisted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
No, not really. You would have to send the Tuner the .BIN file, and he would return it to you to flash DME/DDE with it, unless you plan on sending him your entire DDE/DME module.
OK, let me try to explain in more detail

I will take my car to a pro tuner that will build a custom DME/DDE ECU remap. He will first do a dyno and collect performance data of my car to build the customized remap from. He will then inject this remap into the ECU. He is using some special tools and software to do this and I am not sure he will produce a ECU firmware dump that is compatible with the .BIN format for E-sys to use to flash the ECU.
I will then go home with the remapped DME/DDE in the car.
That's when I then want to extract/download/dump a firmware in .BIN format from the ECU. I will then both have a stock firmware (from the full daten set) and customized version with the remap, so I could change from custom to stock firmware and vice versa.

I hope my intentions are clearer to you now

So my initial question still stands: Do a tool exist that will allow me to extract the customized ECU firmware to a .BIN file to be used later by E-sys to upload/flash the ECU with?

Thanks again for any feedback on this
      Yesterday, 05:53 AM   #10
shawnsheridan
Brigadier General

Garage List
Yes, it is clear now, but I do not have an answer for you. I have never looked into saving firmware from ECU.