F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > NBT retrofit help -- location did not change.
proTUNING Freaks

10-02-2016, 08:56 PM   #1
jondaman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

NBT retrofit help -- location did not change.

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi, All,
I just got my retrofit units and installed into the car. I had a 2012 without COMBOX and the unit is basically plug and play.
I added 609 and coded the NBT units, as well as sorted out some small issue with FDL coding (language, options, startup emblems etc). Most of the options seem like they are working (connected apps, telephone, blu-tooth streaming etc).

I bought the NBT from a European seller, as a result. When I installed the unit, it show the European map as if the car is in Berlin. After I follow the procedure to update the map to 2017-2 North America, the car is still showing itself as in Berlin (without street or maps, just a green color hue)? The GPS coordinate did not change as all when I am driving around town, seems like the GPS is not locked onto a satellite.

Can someone please help me and point out what else I need to do? Is the GPS antenna defected? Is there something else in the coding that I over looked?
When I perform a VO coding, it shows "finished with error".

Here is the log:

TAL execution started.
ExecutionID=2016/09/29-14:54:53.039
[] prepareTALExecution started
[] prepareTALExecution finished
[] prepareVehicleForCoding started
[] prepareVehicleForCoding finished
[HU_NBT - 63] prepareECUforCoding started
[HU_NBT - 63] prepareECUforCoding finished
[HU_NBT - 63] authenticateECUforCoding started
[HU_NBT - 63] authenticateECUforCoding finished
[HU_NBT - 63 - cafd_00000ded-003_009_015] Transaction type: cdDeploy; Message: TA started
MCDDiagService<id=62649, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.uds.MCD3_PerformECUCoding, service=WDBI_PLAIN - WriteDataByIdentifier with unlimited Data-ID (plain hex value), description=error: negative response : requestOutOfRange, link=HU_NBT_63_ETHERNET>
[HU_NBT - 63 - cafd_00000ded-003_009_015] Transaction type: cdDeploy; Message: TA finished
[HU_NBT - 63] There was an error during TAL execution, please check the log files.
[HU_NBT - 63] - [Exception - HU_NBT - 63] job failed with negative response error:
code: service returned global negative response
description: Service WDBI_PLAIN returned a negative response with response code requestOutOfRange; ECU: HU_NBT_63_ETHERNET
severity: ERROR

[HU_NBT - 63] finalizeECUCoding started
[HU_NBT - 63] finalizeECUCoding finished
[] There was an error, please check the log files.
[] - [Exception - HU_NBT - 63] job failed with negative response error:
description: Service WDBI_PLAIN returned a negative response with response code requestOutOfRange; ECU: HU_NBT_63_ETHERNET

[] finalizeVehicleCoding started
[] finalizeVehicleCoding finished
[] finalizeTALExecution started
[] finalizeTALExecution finished
TAL execution finished
TAL-Execution finished with status: "FinishedWithError". [C207]
TAL execution finished. Duration: "24s". [C206]
Abarbeitung beendet

And here is the current VO:
1CA,205,216,240,249,258,2DW,2VB,319,322,403,423,43 0,431,459,465,488,493,4AB,4DM,4NE,520,521,534,544, 563,575,5DS,609,645,655,676,697,6NH,823,845,853,87 6,8KC,8TN,925,992,993,9AA

Thanks in advance.

GONE: E46 Metallic Blue Coupe 323i GONE: E86 Jet Black Z4 Convertible GONE: E92 Crimson Red 335i
F30 Liquid Blue Matallic 328i
MODS: M-steering Wheel, M-sports foot peddals, Door Sills, M front Bumper,

Last edited by jondaman; 10-02-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 02:37 PM   #2
Sanelko
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jet Black 328i

You can use hidden Service Menu to see what GPS Satellites have your position at.

Enter the Service Menu of NBT as follows:
• Call up the Start Menu
• Push the controller in the up direction and
hold for at least 10 seconds
• Turn the controller 3 notches to the right
• Turn the controller 3 notches to the left
• Turn the controller 1 notch to the right
• Turn the controller 1 notch to the left
• Turn the controller 1 notch to the right
• Press the controller down and release
• The Service menu is now added as the last
submenu to the menu Settings.

You need to make sure the antenna is mounted in a good location. For one, it must not be shielded by a conductive material above it. If it's one of those antennas with a magnetic base, don't just stick it to a ferromagnetic material without a good backplane i.e. near edges since reflections may interfere with the reception. A good place to install it would be in the center of the rear parcel shelf and route the connector to the head unit. I would first try and test it by sticking it on top of the center of your roof and drive around for a bit.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2016, 02:51 PM   #3
jondaman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanelko View Post
You can use hidden Service Menu to see what GPS Satellites have your position at.

Enter the Service Menu of NBT as follows:
Call up the Start Menu
Push the controller in the up direction and
hold for at least 10 seconds
Turn the controller 3 notches to the right
Turn the controller 3 notches to the left
Turn the controller 1 notch to the right
Turn the controller 1 notch to the left
Turn the controller 1 notch to the right
Press the controller down and release
The Service menu is now added as the last
submenu to the menu Settings.

You need to make sure the antenna is mounted in a good location. For one, it must not be shielded by a conductive material above it. If it's one of those antennas with a magnetic base, don't just stick it to a ferromagnetic material without a good backplane i.e. near edges since reflections may interfere with the reception. A good place to install it would be in the center of the rear parcel shelf and route the connector to the head unit. I would first try and test it by sticking it on top of the center of your roof and drive around for a bit.
Dude, you were right, it wasn't the programming, the coding, or the antenna, I installed it inside the AC/vent and that didn't work at all. I pulled it out and stuck it on the roof and drove around for 5 minutes and it locked me!!
Thanks so much!

GONE: E46 Metallic Blue Coupe 323i GONE: E86 Jet Black Z4 Convertible GONE: E92 Crimson Red 335i
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 06:21 PM   #4
Sanelko
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jet Black 328i

No problem, glad you got it working.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2016, 06:49 PM   #5
vithy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 328xi

If the NBT is from Europe, remove 655 (sat radio) and try VO coding again, Make sure Build Date on FA s at least 07/14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondaman View Post
Hi, All,
I just got my retrofit units and installed into the car. I had a 2012 without COMBOX and the unit is basically plug and play.
I added 609 and coded the NBT units, as well as sorted out some small issue with FDL coding (language, options, startup emblems etc). Most of the options seem like they are working (connected apps, telephone, blu-tooth streaming etc).

I bought the NBT from a European seller, as a result. When I installed the unit, it show the European map as if the car is in Berlin. After I follow the procedure to update the map to 2017-2 North America, the car is still showing itself as in Berlin (without street or maps, just a green color hue)? The GPS coordinate did not change as all when I am driving around town, seems like the GPS is not locked onto a satellite.

Can someone please help me and point out what else I need to do? Is the GPS antenna defected? Is there something else in the coding that I over looked?
When I perform a VO coding, it shows "finished with error".

Here is the log:

TAL execution started.
ExecutionID=2016/09/29-14:54:53.039
[] prepareTALExecution started
[] prepareTALExecution finished
[] prepareVehicleForCoding started
[HU_NBT - 63] prepareECUforCoding started
[HU_NBT - 63] prepareECUforCoding finished
[HU_NBT - 63] authenticateECUforCoding started
[HU_NBT - 63] authenticateECUforCoding finished
[HU_NBT - 63 - cafd_00000ded-003_009_015] Transaction type: cdDeploy; Message: TA started
MCDDiagService<id=62649, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.uds.MCD3_PerformECUCoding, service=WDBI_PLAIN - WriteDataByIdentifier with unlimited Data-ID (plain hex value), description=error: negative response : requestOutOfRange, link=HU_NBT_63_ETHERNET>
[HU_NBT - 63 - cafd_00000ded-003_009_015] Transaction type: cdDeploy; Message: TA finished
[HU_NBT - 63] There was an error during TAL execution, please check the log files.
[HU_NBT - 63] - [Exception - HU_NBT - 63] job failed with negative response error:

[HU_NBT - 63] finalizeECUCoding started
[HU_NBT - 63] finalizeECUCoding finished
[] There was an error, please check the log files.
[] - [Exception - HU_NBT - 63] job failed with negative response error:

[] finalizeVehicleCoding started
[] finalizeVehicleCoding finished
[] finalizeTALExecution started
[] finalizeTALExecution finished
TAL execution finished
TAL-Execution finished with status: "FinishedWithError". [C207]
TAL execution finished. Duration: "24s". [C206]
Abarbeitung beendet

And here is the current VO:
1CA,205,216,240,249,258,2DW,2VB,319,322,403,423,43 0,431,459,465,488,493,4AB,4DM,4NE,520,521,534,544, 563,575,5DS,609,645,655,676,697,6NH,823,845,853,87 6,8KC,8TN,925,992,993,9AA

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2016, 12:12 AM   #6
jondaman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vithy View Post
If the NBT is from Europe, remove 655 (sat radio) and try VO coding again, Make sure Build Date on FA s at least 07/14.
Thanks for the tip, that was exactly my issue. I change 655 (Sat Radio XM) to 654 (DAB) and VO coded the HU_NBT and that finished with warning, instead of error. The Nav is now working.

However, the BMW connected Apps are all gone now. The donor NBT (based on bimmer.work VIN check) has the following options:
6AC Intelligent Emergency Call Intelligenter Notruf
6AE Teleservices Teleservices
6AK Connecteddrive Services Connecteddrive Services
6AM Real Time Traffic Information Real Time Traffic Information
6AN Concierge Services Concierge Services
6AP Remote Services Remote Services
6NS Enhanced Telephony With Extended Sm Komforttelefonie Mit Erw. Smartphon
6WA Instrument Cluster W. Extended Cont Instrumentenkombi. M. Erw. Umf.
609 Navigation System Professional Navigationssystem Professional
610 Head Up Display Head-up Display
654 Dab Tuner Dab Tuner
676 Hifi Loudspeaker System Hifi Lautsprechersystem
698 Area-code 2 Area-code 2

I added all of these back to the VO, created a new VO with the donor VIN and build date of 07/14 (which is also when the donor VIN car supposedly built), I still cannot get the connected Apps to show up. It was there before I was able to successfully code 609.

Do you know if there is anyway I can get the connected App back?
Do i need to re-import the FSC or something?
Thanks.

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 06:12 PM   #7
vithy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 328xi

Remove 654 if you don't need DAB. I don't think it works in north america anyways.

You are missing 6NR (APPS) on your FA, add that in, and VO code again with build date 07/14. That should fix your Apps. If you are using an emulator, don't have to worry about FSC getting invalidated or import again.

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, that was exactly my issue. I change 655 (Sat Radio XM) to 654 (DAB) and VO coded the HU_NBT and that finished with warning, instead of error. The Nav is now working.

However, the BMW connected Apps are all gone now. The donor NBT (based on bimmer.work VIN check) has the following options:
654 Dab Tuner Dab Tuner

I added all of these back to the VO, created a new VO with the donor VIN and build date of 07/14 (which is also when the donor VIN car supposedly built), I still cannot get the connected Apps to show up. It was there before I was able to successfully code 609.

Thanks.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2016, 06:16 PM   #8
jondaman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vithy
Remove 654 if you don't need DAB. I don't think it works in north america anyways.

You are missing 6NR (APPS) on your FA, add that in, and VO code again with build date 07/14. That should fix your Apps. If you are using an emulator, don't have to worry about FSC getting invalidated or import again.

Quote:

654 Dab Tuner Dab Tuner

Thanks.
I am running with an emulator but added 6NR didn't do anything. I read somewhere the apps are only available as part of the connected drive service. I am wondering if i have to subscribe to get it back.
From the FSC code, app ID 9C was not available to read but there are a few ones that are, not sure if 9C was replaced by something else.
I will update the FSC status when I get home, hopefully you can help and take a look. Many thanks!

Appreciate 0