F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 320d ED wheel options ?
Zims Garage

10-15-2015, 03:09 PM   #1
fiuman
Private
Rep
Drives: coal powered f30

Question 320d ED wheel options ?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So after going back and forth with several sellers and stressing out of my mind about my next purchase.

I have settled on the pros and the cons of owning a diesel over the petrol and ended up on the 320d ED side of things. Will be getting an 320d ED CPO with 16 000 miles and full options this Saturday.

Only thing tho i HATE the wheels and have been reading around the interwebs that i'm pretty much stuck to them ? Is that for real, i know the ride is a bit lower than the normal suspension and i love that idea but i hate the "turbine" design on them.

IF anyone has tried and successfully mounted other wheels to the car and driven beyond 80mph with no problem I'd like to know the make and model of them.

Thank you all in advance !
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 08:37 PM   #2
401FlaGATOR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i ZSP, F30 320i ZSP

What gave you the impression that your stuck to them? Is it the CPO warranty? I would think as long as they are BMW oem wheels there is no problem.

I agree with you about the turbine wheels. Any other BMW wheel option would be a step up even the 17's I have seen rocking a 5 spoke design are much more attractive. At least to me, I prefer a more open design with less metal, that turbine design resembles some cheap plastic hubcap "turbine " design that a lot of low end cars use.

More "Krull"like and lighter on the hubcap look would have been the way to go with that one.

Last edited by 401FlaGATOR; 10-15-2015 at 08:50 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 04:17 AM   #3
fiuman
Private
Rep

The posts on bimmerfest and i think here from several people suffering from vibrations and weird stuff when mounted on different wheels than those butt ugly turbines.
I had a 116d with hubcaps as no alloys were available in my country for 1er and those looked better than this design.
I don't care for the big diameter wheels but if possible I'd gladly slap on some 17 or 18 inch wheels...

CPO warranty is no questions asked, and just for someone saying back out from the deal - I won't as the registration costs are around 30-40% less than the normal 320d and as I'll pay in full I will be getting better credit with the dealer down the road and a better discount "tier" when i get a future car.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 06:47 AM   #4
Yaz_BMW320D
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport

watching with interest as i have the same car and hmm the wheels could look alot better!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 07:12 AM   #5
fiuman
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz_BMW320D View Post
watching with interest as i have the same car and hmm the wheels could look alot better!
Today spoke with an independend Mini/BMW service center, guy told me the 5-star double-spoke 17" would be doable as they have mounted it on another 320ed but that was the e series...

I won't be testing out hear says on my car until i get a definitive answer from someone who already tested and came out with good results.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 07:05 PM   #6
Tommy_hf
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 E85 3.0iS SC, F30 320iA HE

There's absolutely NO reason why other wheels on the EDE versions would cause vibrations. The small wheels are there for low emission/excellent mileage. The tax reduction is based on that, that's why officially you're stuck to the original wheels. But technically the hubs, brakes etc are the same as non EDE cars.
So yes, you can slap on 18,19 or even 20 inch wheels and do 150 mph all day long without problems.
Just stay away from cheap knock-offs.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 07:44 AM   #7
fiuman
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_hf View Post
There's absolutely NO reason why other wheels on the EDE versions would cause vibrations. The small wheels are there for low emission/excellent mileage. The tax reduction is based on that, that's why officially you're stuck to the original wheels. But technically the hubs, brakes etc are the same as non EDE cars.
So yes, you can slap on 18,19 or even 20 inch wheels and do 150 mph all day long without problems.
Just stay away from cheap knock-offs.

I'll be more than happy with a pair of 18s BMW / BBS / OZ and your is the kind of answer i needed to sway me away from he "Turbine" wheels...
Can't wait for summer now !
Appreciate 0