F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 428i Fuel Pump Failure
MINHS Automotive

12-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
Zoolander10z
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i MG/CR

428i Fuel Pump Failure

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So I picked up my new 428i last week and couldnt be happier with the car. Love the color combo (MG/CR) and handles great.

However, after less than 96 hours of having the car and 100 miles later, it shut down on me while I was pulling out of the garage. It would crank and crank but the engine wouldn't turn over. Had to have the car flatbedded to the dealership last Saturday and they determined it was the fuel pump. They were able to order a new pump and test it out this week and are confident the issue is resolved. I plan to pick up my vehicle later this week.

Just frustrating to have this happen 2 days after recieving a brand new car. I'm fortunate it happened in front of my house and not on the highway.

I do want to give a shout out to David from Steve Thomas though. He got me a great deal and he's been in contact with me since.

Will post pics this weekned.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
Christos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolander10z View Post
So I picked up my new 428i last week and couldnt be happier with the car. Love the color combo (MG/CR) and handles great.

However, after less than 96 hours of having the car and 100 miles later, it shut down on me while I was pulling out of the garage. It would crank and crank but the engine wouldn't turn over. Had to have the car flatbedded to the dealership last Saturday and they determined it was the fuel pump. They were able to order a new pump and test it out this week and are confident the issue is resolved. I plan to pick up my vehicle later this week.

Just frustrating to have this happen 2 days after recieving a brand new car. I'm fortunate it happened in front of my house and not on the highway.

I do want to give a shout out to David from Steve Thomas though. He got me a great deal and he's been in contact with me since.

No, no , please don't tell me this. I got rid of my E92 because of 7 fuel pumps failures, 5 HPFP and 2 LPFP failures This time I thought the 428i would be immune. lets hope this is a very big one off, I pick up mine in a couple weeks.
      12-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
Falafel Combo
I can't heel toe!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow f80

Nature of forced induction cars. Happens to all brands. Apparently BMW just has worse quality control than most, and more incidents of failure.

-Chris Harris on the f80 M3
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Mwm1166
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435i on order

Quote:

Sorry that you got into one of those situations... However, it is fortunate that it happened at home and so early... Hopefully that's your glitch with this car and it's behind you!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M235i View Post
Nature of forced induction cars. Happens to all brands. Apparently BMW just has worse quality control than most, and more incidents of failure.
What in the world does forced induction have to do with fuel pump reliability?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M235i
Forced induction sounds painful.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
u5g335
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90, 2011 e92, 2014 f32

I think he means direct injection...lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
northerncalguy
Throw your hands in the air, if you's a true playa.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, 2014 435i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I had a loose wastegate position sensor on the 435 about a week after I received my car, but luckily it wasn't a big deal.

Xrossing fingers not to experience any fuel pump failures...is this a common thing with the turbo engines in general?

I have 1200 miles now, running real well.
      12-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #9
ToyotaBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Whitetintedwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
What in the world does forced induction have to do with fuel pump reliability?
Forced induction engines have to have a heavier duty fuel pump. Maybe the other poster is alluding to that BMW has not beefed up the fuel pump enough hence more fuel pump reliability problems. This goes back to the N54 e90 days with huge Fuel pump problems and resulted in lots of fuel pump repairs and BMW extending the warranty of the fuel pump to 10years.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

HPFP or LPFP failure out of interest? Certainly the ridiculously common HPFP issues of the N54 have been remedied to an extent in the N55 but not completely. The N20 being a descendant of the N55 - issues are shared. Though I don't recall any N20 fuel pump failures thus far...

Mind you, the N20 doesn't have a sensor on the LPFP does it... Just HPFP so if it came up with an error code/iDrive message, surely must be HPFP?

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
My 328i initial thoughts + media!http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712673
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #11
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Sorry to hear OP, sucks to happen to a brand new car. I've been on this board for the last year or so and this is the first time I've read about a fuel pump problem. Sounds like an anomaly IMO. Hopefully, everything checks out and you're good to go when you pick up. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #12
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaBMW View Post
Forced induction engines have to have a heavier duty fuel pump. Maybe the other poster is alluding to that BMW has not beefed up the fuel pump enough hence more fuel pump reliability problems. This goes back to the N54 e90 days with huge Fuel pump problems and resulted in lots of fuel pump repairs and BMW extending the warranty of the fuel pump to 10years.
It has nothing to do with forced induction. You need to be certain that sufficient fuel volume is available for motors with forced induction to prevent a lean condition as predetonation in a boosted motor can be more damaging than in a naturally aspirated variant. But the volume of fuel used isn't particularly different from a NA application.

The issue is the fact that they're DIRECT INJECTION motors. Fuel is delivered at a significantly higher pressure in a DI motor. The N54 was BMWs first endeavor with DI. The HPFP debacle with the N54 was essentially the result of teething pains. It was not a "quality control" issue. It was a flawed design/manufacturing process. I believe the OP was simply the unlucky recipient of a random faulty component.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 11:30 PM   #13
Zoolander10z
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
HPFP or LPFP failure out of interest? Certainly the ridiculously common HPFP issues of the N54 have been remedied to an extent in the N55 but not completely. The N20 being a descendant of the N55 - issues are shared. Though I don't recall any N20 fuel pump failures thus far...

Mind you, the N20 doesn't have a sensor on the LPFP does it... Just HPFP so if it came up with an error code/iDrive message, surely must be HPFP?
There was no iDrive message. I'm pretty sure the SA said they ordered a new LPFP but I'll double check tomorrow when I go pick up the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #14
ToyotaBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Whitetintedwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
It has nothing to do with forced induction. You need to be certain that sufficient fuel volume is available for motors with forced induction to prevent a lean condition as predetonation in a boosted motor can be more damaging than in a naturally aspirated variant. But the volume of fuel used isn't particularly different from a NA application.

The issue is the fact that they're DIRECT INJECTION motors. Fuel is delivered at a significantly higher pressure in a DI motor. The N54 was BMWs first endeavor with DI. The HPFP debacle with the N54 was essentially the result of teething pains. It was not a "quality control" issue. It was a flawed design/manufacturing process. I believe the OP was simply the unlucky recipient of a random faulty component.
Sure it does. In a FI engine you are packing more air into the engine correct? So you need significantly more fuel as pressure rise as you are packing in more air hence more and more fuel is needed. It all depends on how much pressure as high pressure setups obviously would need more fuel.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/natura...induction.html

This link provides an idea in terms of hp of FI and NA engines.

http://aeromotiveinc.com/wp-content/...werPlanner.pdf

As you can see there does seem like a significant difference in fuel demands.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 02:43 AM   #15
Vitoco
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M235i View Post
Have I missed anything? Cause this is the first time I read about this issue, if it was a big problem on the N20 we would hear more bout it in here.
      12-05-2013, 06:11 AM   #16
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
There was no iDrive message. I'm pretty sure the SA said they ordered a new LPFP but I'll double check tomorrow when I go pick up the car.
That would make sense then.

Well that is the first LPFP failure I've seen on these cars too then! Hopefully just a one-off dodgy component.

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
My 328i initial thoughts + media!http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712673
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 06:55 AM   #17
sleeeper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 435i MSport

Hoping this is a one-time rare occurrence and not 'here we go again!'
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #18
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaBMW View Post
Sure it does. In a FI engine you are packing more air into the engine correct? So you need significantly more fuel as pressure rise as you are packing in more air hence more and more fuel is needed. It all depends on how much pressure as high pressure setups obviously would need more fuel.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/natura...induction.html

This link provides an idea in terms of hp of FI and NA engines.

http://aeromotiveinc.com/wp-content/...werPlanner.pdf

As you can see there does seem like a significant difference in fuel demands.

You keep operating at the extreme end of the spectrum with your assessments. The delivery of fuel is progressive based on the load on the motor and the charge pressure. During normal cruising, very little boost is required to maintain forward momentum so the fuel requirement is relatively low. If you're doing a full throttle launch at full boost then yes, you need significantly more fuel, but again this is all relative. A larger displacement normally aspirated engine would use exactly the same volume of fuel to deliver the identical power output. The law of the conservation of energy dictates this.

The rationale for forced induction in contemporary cars is to use a smaller displacement engine with FI to deliver the same power output as a larger normally aspirated engine. The upside of this concept is that for the 99% of the time that you're cruising, you're using less fuel. By your reasoning, the FI motor would always be using more fuel because it's FI, but this is not the case at all.

As I noted above about the N54 HPFP issues, they were the result of a requirement to maintain very high pressures for the direct injection system. A pump working to maintain a high head pressure is working much harder than a pump working to maintain a high volume at low head pressure. High pressure injection has been around for decades with diesel power plants, but is a relatively new technology with gasoline applications.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 04:12 PM   #19
karun2000
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Worldwide BMW fuel pump shortage?

My brother received his brand new 428i on Monday. 2 hours of driving (86miles) later at some lights to a main motorway roundabout the car engine turned of for start stop. It after a few turns ran only to die within seconds with an error.

He was initially told it was because the car was on last fuel gauge bar/15miles on the clock. Then 2hrs later got told it was the fuel pump.

The worst thing is that they tried to order in a new one and can't! Apparently there is a worldwide bmw fuel pump shortage! Still waiting to hear more from the manager who is in direct contact with bmw headquarters.

The dealer has been very good and he's currently driving a 5 series courtesy car.

My questions are:

If there is really a world wide shortage, is that because so many pumps are failing? If so why haven't we heard more about this?

He might be looking at a 435i if all else fails. Does this have the same fuel pump?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 05:05 PM   #20
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 / E46 ZHP

Before you people raise your skirts and run around in panic mode, find out 1st if it is the high pressure secondary pump or the main take lift pump.
      03-28-2014, 10:28 AM   #21
Zoolander10z
Private
United_States
Rep

They replaced my LPFP within 4 or 5 days and havent had an issue since. It was an inconvenience and was frustrating that it happened to a new car but what can you do... My SA was very helpful and I have been enjoying my 428i since.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 12:31 PM   #22
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 09 335 e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by karun2000 View Post
My brother received his brand new 428i on Monday. 2 hours of driving (86miles) later at some lights to a main motorway roundabout the car engine turned of for start stop. It after a few turns ran only to die within seconds with an error.

He was initially told it was because the car was on last fuel gauge bar/15miles on the clock. Then 2hrs later got told it was the fuel pump.

The worst thing is that they tried to order in a new one and can't! Apparently there is a worldwide bmw fuel pump shortage! Still waiting to hear more from the manager who is in direct contact with bmw headquarters.

The dealer has been very good and he's currently driving a 5 series courtesy car.

My questions are:

If there is really a world wide shortage, is that because so many pumps are failing? If so why haven't we heard more about this?

He might be looking at a 435i if all else fails. Does this have the same fuel pump?
Really can't believe so many people keep buying these cars after so many problems. I'll never have another. Not worth the grief. If you cant depend on your car................
Appreciate 0