F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 340i xDrive - suspension
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-26-2015, 09:49 PM   #1
strumbringer
Private
strumbringer's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: 2011 F10 535i xdrive
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Washington state

iTrader: (0)

340i xDrive - suspension

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi all,

I'm planning to replace my F10 535i with something smaller and nimbler. I wish I could just go back to an E92, my previous Bimmer that I still miss, but sadly it's going to have to be AWD (and the xDrive suspension on the E92 was ... not great)

When buying the F10, I drove the 335i xDrive and was unimpressed with its suspension (especially relative to my old E92). I recently drove a C450 and found it rather well sorted, if a tad slower than I recall of my E92 but somehow can't get behind the idea of a Mercedes. I haven't had the opportunity to test drive a 340i yet, but I'm hoping someone here has a sense of the relative handling of the 340i xDrive with DHP to, say, an E92 non-xDrive Sport Package

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 09:59 PM   #2
bimmercar
Lieutenant
United_States
48
Rep
596
Posts

Drives: 340xi
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Northeast US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumbringer
Hi all,

I'm planning to replace my F10 535i with something smaller and nimbler. I wish I could just go back to an E92, my previous Bimmer that I still miss, but sadly it's going to have to be AWD (and the xDrive suspension on the E92 was ... not great)

When buying the F10, I drove the 335i xDrive and was unimpressed with its suspension (especially relative to my old E92). I recently drove a C450 and found it rather well sorted, if a tad slower than I recall of my E92 but somehow can't get behind the idea of a Mercedes. I haven't had the opportunity to test drive a 340i yet, but I'm hoping someone here has a sense of the relative handling of the 340i xDrive with DHP to, say, an E92 non-xDrive Sport Package

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
i have 340xi with 704 M adaptive suspension. non THP. I have say, i dont like the summer Bridgestone run-flats, those run-flats make the ride harh in comfort and more road noise. make sure you test the car with proper MPSS tires. But man the 340i pulls hard, it really gets going at 3k+ rpms. i am still in my breaking in period. only default THP comes with MPSS tires
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 10:08 PM   #3
ji99lypuff
First Lieutenant
44
Rep
396
Posts

Drives: 2014 bmw 328xi
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

My lease is up soon and was considering getting the 340xdrive, but coming from a 328xdrive i am hesitant to get another xdrive bmw because of how uninspired and disconnected the suspension feels. If only they would make their xdrive as sporty as their rwd sport sedans. Having also an audi and infiniti awd cars i feel they feel more planted and sportier than the bmw, which is not what i expected on the f30 xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 10:21 PM   #4
gongtowjai
I'll Kung Fu Panda your ass
gongtowjai's Avatar
United_States
36
Rep
2,061
Posts

Drives: '16 F30 XDrive
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Queens

iTrader: (0)

I have 340xi with THP...coming from a E90 335i...With Sport/Sport + settings...i still can go 40/50mph+ on a minor twist...ex..getting onto the BQE by the Battery Tunnel area...or by the Promende area continuing on the BQE towards Queens..MPSS is softer so it compensates the bumps better than the harsh runflats I had on E90. Let me tell you, I can rip it...I don't baby this thing. Like bimmercar said, only way to tell is to test drive it...You guys might have nicer roads than nyc...
__________________
'16 F30 340 XDrive - AW-Lighting & Track Packages. The FIRST drive was awesome....
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 10:26 PM   #5
bimmercar
Lieutenant
United_States
48
Rep
596
Posts

Drives: 340xi
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Northeast US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongtowjai
I have 340xi with THP...coming from a E90 335i...With Sport/Sport + settings...i still can go 40/50mph+ on a minor twist...ex..getting onto the BQE by the Battery Tunnel area...or by the Promende area continuing on the BQE towards Queens..MPSS is softer so it compensates the bumps better than the harsh runflats I had on E90. Let me tell you, I can rip it...I don't baby this thing. Like bimmercar said, only way to tell is to test drive it...You guys might have nicer roads than nyc...
yeah with my summer runflats, i can punch it in the suburbs no worries push 80-100 effortless and handles well, but in manhattan, pot hole central, i dont dare push it hard at all, its harsh even in comfort with 704 adaptive m suspention, mainly due to my harsh summer RF, thats why tirerack has low rating for these tires
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 10:49 PM   #6
bimmercar
Lieutenant
United_States
48
Rep
596
Posts

Drives: 340xi
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Northeast US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ji99lypuff
My lease is up soon and was considering getting the 340xdrive, but coming from a 328xdrive i am hesitant to get another xdrive bmw because of how uninspired and disconnected the suspension feels. If only they would make their xdrive as sporty as their rwd sport sedans. Having also an audi and infiniti awd cars i feel they feel more planted and sportier than the bmw, which is not what i expected on the f30 xdrive.
i have to say, M235xi is the sportiest x-drive that i have driven, it feels like the Rwd version. i have driven both so i know. m235i is the only bmw x-drive version not to have a higher suspension vs rwd version AFAIK. i am still feeling out the new F30 LCI...the x-drive in the LCI its pretty good feeling, but for sure its not gonna feel like a rwd car. bmw did say they put some changes in suspension based on what they learned from M235i. overall i like my 340xi very much. this is me coming from have driven/tracked/drag raced the following cars in the last few months: Porsche Cayman GTS, Carrera S, Carrera 4 GTS, Macan Turbo, BMW i3, 228i, 228xi, 550gt, 640i, M235i, M3, M5, M6 GC, X5M, ... and a toyota, a kia, a nissan. haha.
Appreciate 3
      10-27-2015, 12:14 AM   #7
strumbringer
Private
strumbringer's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: 2011 F10 535i xdrive
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Washington state

iTrader: (0)

Thanks! Sounds like it's worth waiting and driving one then... Don't need it to feel like RWD, just want to make sure the suspension is buttoned down enough that I can have fun in it and possibly even track it every now and then.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:54 AM.




f30post
f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST