F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Apple & BMW (WWDC) [apologies to Jason for duplicate post]
MINHS Auto Care Center
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
CanadianDriver
Lieutenant
5

 
Drives: 2008 328xi
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canada


Posts: 466
iTrader: (0)

Thumbs up Apple & BMW (WWDC) [apologies to Jason for duplicate post]

Siri to be integrated into BMW.

See http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704041


In today's WWDC, it was clear that Apple is working closely with BMW and select car manufacturers to make apps a staple of connected driving. I look forward to a more useful, but less distracting, integration between Apple and BMW.


BMW leading the charge:


Other Makes:


For folks without Navi, built-in turn-by-turn navigation, with integrated Siri and anonymous, real-time, crow-sourced traffic:






Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
CoolDude196
.
England
12

 
CoolDude196's Avatar
 
Drives: f30 20d
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: England


Posts: 615
iTrader: (0)

Incredible stuff... Pity ios6 isn't on original iPad I'm devastated. Impressive integration and os all the same
__________________
AW Sport 20d, 2tb, 552, lc, 397 plus others
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
shoptb
Captain
United_States
14

 
shoptb's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 328i MSport EBII 8A
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Columbus OH


Posts: 736
iTrader: (0)

It's still going to be a while before this integration is complete, but maybe in 3 years, there won't be an iDrive as much as a dock for the iPad. If access to the automotive protocols are shared as openly as the apps themselves, then this could get really interesting.
__________________
'13 F30 328i, 8SA, EBII, ZMM, ZPP, ZTP, ZLP, ZDA, ZCW, ZDH
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
bringonthenite
Second Lieutenant
Canada
2

 
Drives: 2013 335i XDrive M sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada


Posts: 211
iTrader: (0)

Nice post!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
thatsagoodpoint
Private
0

 
thatsagoodpoint's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ


Posts: 73
iTrader: (0)

So will this mean full bluetooth integration?
__________________
Hopefully 340i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
CanadianDriver
Lieutenant
5

 
Drives: 2008 328xi
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canada


Posts: 466
iTrader: (0)

available by mid-2013 (i'm guessing for 2014 model year vehicles) according to BMWNA spokesperson Dave Buckho:
“BMW has been on the forefront of both in-car voice command as well as the integration of smartphones such as the Apple iPhone,” said Dave Buckho, BMWNA spokesperson.

“The integration of Siri using the BMW voice command steering wheel controls is a logical next step. Apple’s new Eyes Free mode enables drivers to use Siri to interact with their iPhone by voice even in the car . Users can not only make a call but also tune in to their favorite music, send a text message, create reminders, set alarms or create events without ever having to look for their phone. BMW is planning to have Siri integration available by mid-2013.”
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
martinf79
Captain
27

 
martinf79's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i M Sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada


Posts: 640
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianDriver View Post
available by mid-2013 (i'm guessing for 2014 model year vehicles) according to BMWNA spokesperson Dave Buckho:
“BMW has been on the forefront of both in-car voice command as well as the integration of smartphones such as the Apple iPhone,” said Dave Buckho, BMWNA spokesperson.

“The integration of Siri using the BMW voice command steering wheel controls is a logical next step. Apple’s new Eyes Free mode enables drivers to use Siri to interact with their iPhone by voice even in the car . Users can not only make a call but also tune in to their favorite music, send a text message, create reminders, set alarms or create events without ever having to look for their phone. BMW is planning to have Siri integration available by mid-2013.”
I know no one actually knows the answer to this, but could this simply include a BMW app update? Would a 2013 model work w/ the update I guess is the question (rather than a new model capability)?

Last edited by martinf79; 06-11-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
Boondoggler
Second Lieutenant
United_States
2

 
Boondoggler's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lawrenceville, NJ


Posts: 287
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinf79 View Post
I know no one actually knows the answer to this, but could this simply include a BMW app update? Would a 2013 model work w/ the update I guess is the question (rather than a new model capability)?
If the plan is to use the same handsfree button for both Siri and iDrive voice functions, it's not impossible that it could be done via a software update.
__________________
2013 335i M-Sport 6MT
Estoril Blue | 19" 403M Wheels | Black Leather | Aluminum Hex Trim | Black Highlight Trim | Cold Weather Package | Dynamic Handling Package | Technology Package | Premium Package | Park Distance Control | Harmon Kardon
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #9
CanadianDriver
Lieutenant
5

 
Drives: 2008 328xi
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canada


Posts: 466
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinf79 View Post
I know no one actually knows the answer to this, but could this simply include a BMW app update? Would a 2013 model work w/ the update I guess is the question (rather than a new model capability)?
the button being pressed exists already (bottom right), so it's likely an app update for cars that support it.

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 12:10 AM   #10
bruininabag
New Member
2

 
Drives: Mitsubishi Lancer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA


Posts: 15
iTrader: (0)

One positive iOS 6 update that we won't have to wait 3 years for.

Bluetooth MAP is now supported so iDrive should have access to the iPhone's text messages.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #11
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
84

 
svache's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 F30 328i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hawaii


Posts: 1,881
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Not looking for a flame war of any kind but I kind of wish BMW would finally got us that Connected Drive app for Android. Sure, I have a workaround that involves an iPod Touch 4 and that works pretty nice but it would be better to do it just with one device.
__________________
F30 328i Luxury w/ Mojave metallic, beige interior (timeline)


Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 12:26 AM   #12
bruininabag
New Member
2

 
Drives: Mitsubishi Lancer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA


Posts: 15
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
Sure, I have a workaround that involves an iPod Touch 4 and that works pretty nice but it would be better to do it just with one device.
They do... it's called the iPhone.

Just kidding.

But I'm sure it's coming down the pipeline. There's no way BMW could ignore such a huge portion of the market. I think at some point every app has to build an Android version.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #13
CanadianDriver
Lieutenant
5

 
Drives: 2008 328xi
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canada


Posts: 466
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
Not looking for a flame war of any kind but I kind of wish BMW would finally got us that Connected Drive app for Android. Sure, I have a workaround that involves an iPod Touch 4 and that works pretty nice but it would be better to do it just with one device.
knowing BMW, they might stick with apple for a while to take advantage of the curated app environment.

BMW makes the coding "difficult" (not for svache) for the average joe, i guess they will treat their apps the same way: hard or inconvenient to jailbreak.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #14
huskercubfan
STM TRPR
6

 
Drives: 2012 335i MW
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Omaha, NE


Posts: 358
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruininabag View Post
One positive iOS 6 update that we won't have to wait 3 years for.

Bluetooth MAP is now supported so iDrive should have access to the iPhone's text messages.
Please tell me this is absolutely true and coming very soon.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST