F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Sizes of BMW Roundels for BMW F32 - 435i
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-27-2014, 09:45 PM   #1
Boricua
New Member
3
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: 330ci Performance
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Puerto Rico

iTrader: (0)

Sizes of BMW Roundels for BMW F32 - 435i

Hello. I am thinking of replacing the OEM roundels of the 435i M Sport Mineral Grey/Coral car I am expecting in two weeks with black and white carbon fiber roundels. I am looking to replace all 7 emblems: Hood, Trunk, Wheels, and Steering Wheel.

I don't know for certain the size of each of these pieces.
Can someone provide me this info?

Can anyone also recommend a high-quality provider of real carbon fiber roundels with a fixed aluminum base?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 10:17 PM   #2
COKen
Private First Class
COKen's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
174
Posts

Drives: 2014 435i / 2002 M Roadster
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

You can get the part numbers here - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...63&hg=51&fg=20

From there you should be able to find the size.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 12:11 AM   #3
mcli
_________
mcli's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
216
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i 6mt
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (2)

These are what I purchased for my F30, mineral grey/coral red (except I'm linking you to the F32 version)

http://www.jbspeed.com/servlet/the-6...n-Fiber/Detail

Full set of pics: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=963910

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 08:23 AM   #4
n55x3
Captain
36
Rep
862
Posts

Drives: n55 BMWs
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: us - ohio

iTrader: (0)

mcli, your car is awesome! I too have a min Grey M Sport 335i and would like to replace the badges. How hard was it to swap them out? For the tires, do you have to take them off and pop the badges out from the inside? What about hood and trunk? Do you have to pry them off or are the attached from the back somehow? Also, are these CF badges decent quality compared to the OEM badges? Also, the link you posted was for e90 body style. I assume they are all the same size?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 02:24 PM   #5
Boricua
New Member
3
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: 330ci Performance
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Puerto Rico

iTrader: (0)

Great looking car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcli View Post
These are what I purchased for my F30, mineral grey/coral red (except I'm linking you to the F32 version)

http://www.jbspeed.com/servlet/the-6...n-Fiber/Detail

Full set of pics: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=963910

I just wrote to the provider you recommend to see if I can also get the emblems from them. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 02:42 PM   #6
mcli
_________
mcli's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
216
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i 6mt
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
mcli, your car is awesome! I too have a min Grey M Sport 335i and would like to replace the badges. How hard was it to swap them out? For the tires, do you have to take them off and pop the badges out from the inside? What about hood and trunk? Do you have to pry them off or are the attached from the back somehow? Also, are these CF badges decent quality compared to the OEM badges? Also, the link you posted was for e90 body style. I assume they are all the same size?
The website picture shows an E90, but the roundels are correct for the F30/F32. Just specify your year/make/model & they'll send the correct ones. The quality of the hood and trunk roundels is exactly like OEM. The wheel roundels have a small plastic outer ring that is not really noticeable, but I initially was concerned about missing the silver steel ring on the OEM ones. No matter, once installed - the plastic ring isn't noticeable. The steering will roundel is actually a sticker, because it's too difficult to remove the OEM one. However once installed you really can't tell and it looks good.

Installation:
Hood: this is actually held on via very strong adhesive. I recommend getting a heat gun and going around the edges of the roundel until it warms up a bit. Then place a microfiber cloth on the hood so you won't scratch it, and take a plastic trim tool & gently pry the edges of the roundel up until they start to release. you'll need to hit the local auto parts store for some gummy adhesive, I didn't have a problem finding any and it adheres very well. The carbon fiber hood roundel that you receive has two posts sticking out of it. You need to just take a pair of pliers and bend these (plastic posts) off as you won't need them since it adheres via adhesive.

Trunk: this roundel is held on via two posts going into two grommets in the trunk. You don't need a heat gun for this one, so just use your microfiber cloth and trim tools at the 2 o'clock, 4 o'clock, 8 o'clock, 11 o'clock positions and gently pry that roundel loose. Then you just line up the new roundels posts into the grommets, gently push in, and bob's your uncle.

Wheels: take a very fine flathead screwdriver, I used tiny ones meant for watch repair, and gently pry out the wheel roundels. No need to remove the wheel or anything. They pop out rather easily. Then just line up the new roundels & pop them in.

Steering Wheel: apparently it's just about impossible to get the OEM roundel off the steering wheel, so they send you a sticker that covers it. Take your time lining it up and press to adhere.

If you don't use a heat gun to soften up the hood roundel, you'll be in for a frustrating time. Trust me on this one… Go get a $15 heat gun at the local big box home-improvement store and you'll thank me later. You'll also use the heat gun whenever you replace the reflectors with body color painted ones (should you decide to go that route).

Last edited by mcli; 03-28-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #7
mcli
_________
mcli's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
216
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i 6mt
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (2)

Here's a shot of the wheel roundels. As I mentioned, these have a plastic outer ring instead of steel like OEM. But I think you'll be hard-pressed to notice it.

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 02:51 PM   #8
mcli
_________
mcli's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
216
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i 6mt
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (2)

Video of wheel roundel replacement. You'll be able to see the difference in the plastic outer ring versus the metal outer ring in this video at 2:22. But as you see in the picture above, once installed it's really not noticeable.


Last edited by mcli; 03-28-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #9
mcli
_________
mcli's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
216
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i 6mt
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (2)

And this video shows what it's like to change the trunk roundel. The older versions of the three series must of used posts/grommets for both hood & trunk roundels, but the 2014 that I have uses posts/grommets for trunk only - and simple adhesive for the hood roundel. Read above for the heat gun method to remove the hood roundel.

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #10
n55x3
Captain
36
Rep
862
Posts

Drives: n55 BMWs
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: us - ohio

iTrader: (0)

Awesome posts mcli, thanks for taking the time to reply in such detail, much appreciated!! I'm gonna order me some new badges this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 03:50 PM   #11
Boricua
New Member
3
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: 330ci Performance
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Puerto Rico

iTrader: (0)

Any of you know about www.autowheelcapled.com version of CF Roundels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcli View Post
And this video shows what it's like to change the trunk roundel. The older versions of the three series must of used posts/grommets for both hood & trunk roundels, but the 2014 that I have uses posts/grommets for trunk only - and simple adhesive for the hood roundel. Read above for the heat gun method to remove the hood roundel.

http://www.autowheelcapled.com/index...-full-set.html

These guys claim to actually have an aluminum trimmed emblem and it uses the pegs instead of adhesive as you can see below:

http://www.autowheelcapled.com/media...my105d_1_1.jpg

My only concern is that this site doesn't list an address or phone number and I wonder if they are legit.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 01:16 AM   #12
mcli
_________
mcli's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
216
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i 6mt
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (2)

The picture you posted is exactly what the hood & trunk roundels look like that come from JB speed.com. However there's nowhere to put the posts into the hood of the '14 f30. It lacks the indentation & the grommets hence, the roundel is held on by adhesive & you need to snap the posts off (hood roundel only).

It might help if I explained that the OEM roundel that I took off the car hood did not have posts.

Last edited by mcli; 03-29-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 10:24 AM   #13
Boricua
New Member
3
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: 330ci Performance
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Puerto Rico

iTrader: (0)

Thumbs up Vinyl until something more legit becomes available

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcli View Post
The picture you posted is exactly what the hood & trunk roundels look like that come from JB speed.com. However there's nowhere to put the posts into the hood of the '14 f30. It lacks the indentation & the grommets hence, the roundel is held on by adhesive & you need to snap the posts off (hood roundel only).

It might help if I explained that the OEM roundel that I took off the car hood did not have posts.
I have decided to go with Bimmian CF Semi-Gloss 1080 film for now; at least until some emblems come around capable of fitting in the OEM hood holes. Thank you all.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 01:10 PM   #14
mcli
_________
mcli's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
216
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i 6mt
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
I have decided to go with Bimmian CF Semi-Gloss 1080 film for now; at least until some emblems come around capable of fitting in the OEM hood holes. Thank you all.
There aren't OEM hood holes - that's what I've been saying all along. Here are pictures that clearly show that the OEM roundel does not have posts and does not insert into the hood. There aren't indentations & grommets in the hood, nor are there post sticking out of the hood or the roundel. The hood is flat with a small circle just larger than the roundel itself. The roundel is attached via adhesive (which I've removed from the OEM version). Btw, the OEM roundel is plastic.

Those three small round rubber pieces you see on the back of the roundel? Spacers. That's all they do. They don't attach to anything, nothing inserts into them. They are rubber spacers and that's it.







* you can see some adhesive I missed removing, at the 8 o'clock position.

Last edited by mcli; 03-30-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 09:13 AM   #15
n55x3
Captain
36
Rep
862
Posts

Drives: n55 BMWs
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: us - ohio

iTrader: (0)

mcli, one last question before I pull the trigger. Are the CF badges having texture? On the OEM badges the silver outlines and BMW lettering are all raised. Do these CF badges have similar look/feel or are they completely smooth?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 10:14 PM   #16
mcli
_________
mcli's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
216
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i 6mt
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (2)

Completely smooth. When I had clear bra put on, they did the front roundel as well (probably because it was smooth).
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 08:43 AM   #17
n55x3
Captain
36
Rep
862
Posts

Drives: n55 BMWs
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: us - ohio

iTrader: (0)

cool, I went ahead and ordered a set yesterday. Looking forward to putting them on soon. Thanks again for all your advice!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 11:02 AM   #18
Boricua
New Member
3
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: 330ci Performance
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Puerto Rico

iTrader: (0)

Going vinyl anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcli View Post
There aren't OEM hood holes - that's what I've been saying all along. Here are pictures that clearly show that the OEM roundel does not have posts and does not insert into the hood. There aren't indentations & grommets in the hood, nor are there post sticking out of the hood or the roundel. The hood is flat with a small circle just larger than the roundel itself. The roundel is attached via adhesive (which I've removed from the OEM version). Btw, the OEM roundel is plastic.

Those three small round rubber pieces you see on the back of the roundel? Spacers. That's all they do. They don't attach to anything, nothing inserts into them. They are rubber spacers and that's it.







* you can see some adhesive I missed removing, at the 8 o'clock position.
My mistake on the hood holes, I didn't read properly your post and I assumed it was the same as other models... I went with the vinyl anyway because I like the raised texture of the OEM roundel and it is much less invasive to just lay on the label. We'll see if the applied sticker impresses me in terms of aesthetics. If not I can always replace the roundels later on. I ordered from Bimmian and they shipped very fast and they are quite responsive.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 09:15 PM   #19
mcli
_________
mcli's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
216
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i 6mt
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (2)

I've had decent luck with Bimmian. They shipped fast, but the painted reflectors they sent me were not denoted as being for non-m sport f30s. So I had to return them and pay the restocking fee. And when I contacted them about a return, their initial response was just to give me a store credit. I'm on the fence with them, They're good but...
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 12:09 PM   #20
Michaelparker
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: BMW X5
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

bmw carbon fiber full set wheel center cap hood and trunk emblems badges

Yes. I bought the full set bmw carbon fiber hood, trunk emblems with wheel center caps and steering wheel horn emblem. Very good quality and fast delivery. strongly recommend
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 08:58 AM   #21
n55x3
Captain
36
Rep
862
Posts

Drives: n55 BMWs
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: us - ohio

iTrader: (0)

Saw this post and wanted to post an update. Had these C/F emblems on for about 7 months now. The hood and tire emblems are holding up great. The trunk emblem has really yellowed quite a bit. Not enough that others may notice it but enough to bother me every time I look at it. Might have to go back to OEM soon or buy a replacement rear badge.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 12:58 PM   #22
Busa1
First Lieutenant
Busa1's Avatar
United_States
36
Rep
323
Posts

Drives: 2014 435i xDrive M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
Saw this post and wanted to post an update. Had these C/F emblems on for about 7 months now. The hood and tire emblems are holding up great. The trunk emblem has really yellowed quite a bit. Not enough that others may notice it but enough to bother me every time I look at it. Might have to go back to OEM soon or buy a replacement rear badge.
If you purchased them from JP Speed, I would contact them about it. They should replace it under warranty. For it to turn yellow that quick is unacceptable. It even states in the description for them that it won't turn yellow like the others.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
emblems, roundels, trim

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:43 AM.




f30post
f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST