F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Retro-fitting the full black instrument cluster...
Steve Thomas BMW

05-01-2015, 03:39 PM   #1
beanbaguk
Private
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 320d M-Sport

Retro-fitting the full black instrument cluster...

I've managed to negotiate a full black instrument cluster for a very reasonable price. I've not purchased yet as I want to check some things first and I'm hoping I'll have my answers here!

The dash was taken from exactly the same model car as my own (F31 320d M-Sport), so my questions are:

- How easy is the instrument cluster to swap over?
- Is it easy enough to code?
- What extra features do I get? I have the European Business Sat Nav.
- Will it show up with any errors and will I see the infamous tamper dot?

Cheers all! Any retrofit instructions would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 09:45 PM   #2
re4ryu
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320DEfficientdynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbaguk View Post
I've managed to negotiate a full black instrument cluster for a very reasonable price. I've not purchased yet as I want to check some things first and I'm hoping I'll have my answers here!

The dash was taken from exactly the same model car as my own (F31 320d M-Sport), so my questions are:

- How easy is the instrument cluster to swap over?
- Is it easy enough to code?
- What extra features do I get? I have the European Business Sat Nav.
- Will it show up with any errors and will I see the infamous tamper dot?

Cheers all! Any retrofit instructions would be greatly appreciated!
There is currently a thread active regarding the 6WA retrofit. You'll find the instructions there:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1115403

Check the PDF supplied there. Apparently the cluster itself isn't very difficult to take out and replace with a new one, but you will need a cluster which has a mileage which is LESS than the one currently in your car, so double check the mileage with the seller.

There is a lot of coding to do, as well as flashing. Bear in mind, flashing is dangerous and can mess up the cars software if you're not familiar with it. A power supply to the car is recommended whenever performing a procedure like this as it will take considerably longer than a quick coding session.

As for extra features compared to the original cluster, there aren't that many. As you have navigation you might get turn by turn prompts in the cluster as you might have seen (might have to code this in separately however). You're basically able to get more information displayed in the cluster at the same time. Other than that, where the MPG gauge is in the original cluster, you get the digitised "charge/power" meter for the eco pro driving mode/digitised MPG for sport mode. That's about it i think.

Once you've coded and flashed your car according to the PDF, i wouldn't think you'd receive any errors/tamper dot as the cluster will be bound to your cars VIN, but double check just incase.

I haven't actually done this myself, just directing you to the respective thread and anything extra i know, so just have a careful read through of the instructions there to see if you're fine with going through with it.

Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 01:25 AM   #3
1lyfe
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

flashing is not possible in most cases.
you should get the most up to date production date that you can find.
      05-04-2015, 03:43 AM   #4
beanbaguk
Private
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 320d M-Sport

Thanks for the info. I found the 6WA retrofit thread on Saturday and it does indeed look quite risky. I suppose the only real risk with the flashing is to the donor cluster however the seller cannot confirm the mileage to me and I'm reluctant to buy it off him unless I can get a definitive answer.

I am however wondering if I buy the cluster new from BMW, the install procedure would be different?
Appreciate 0