F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Picked up new 328i sportline today SO dissapointed
Steve Thomas BMW

07-21-2014, 03:37 AM   #1
kanga

Drives: bmw f30 328i sport

Picked up new 328i sportline today SO dissapointed

Today traded my Mercedes 2008 320cdi on a brand new White BMW 328i Sportline, with Zenons, sunroof and Adaptive damping
I live in the country and do lots of country driving but I test drove the car in Sydney and was impressed.
I expected so much today but the car is such a disappointment.
The Suspension setting in sport mode gives both power and grip, but in comfort mode the car is just so detuned - on long trips you want the comfort but also the power, compared to my old car it it is uncomfortable and tiring to drive , if only BMW allowed the engine to be sporty in comfort mode.
Sure the car is fun in Sport but when you are travelling long distances you want power and comfort as our country roads are so rough - you need to concentrate on the road ahead instead of inspecting the console and pushing a button to change to sport.
Rough roads dont mix with sporty suspension settings, the car gets thrown and bounced around - it is dangerous. I had no idea prior to buying the car that the suspension settings were linked to engine mapping. How ridiculous!
The sound system is not much better than my new Nissan Patrol ; Tray Back.
I thought the 328i had the upgraded 9 speaker Hi Fi system, it appears not to be the case.
The steering is so sensitive to any movement that the car wanders all over the place, I believe the steering in the last model was great.
The car does not feel like a luxury car, I got a great deal but I am shattered.
Unfortunately for Australian country roads this car is not for the country driver.
      07-21-2014, 04:51 AM   #2
SteveAus
Second Lieutenant

Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Garage List
It's a shame that you think you have bought a lemon.
Maybe you should have taken a bit more time talking to the dealer about what comes as standard with car and more time test driving the car to understand what you actually want from a car.

I certainly don't agree with your statement that the car is dangerous when using the sports setting. The suspension is a little firmer, but certainly not dangerous. You should count yourself fortunate that you didn't buy an M3. My previous M3 had seriously stiff suspension - fantastic on tight twisty roads, but pretty uncomfortable on pothole infested roads!! And the steering on it was incredibly sensitive and precise. The F30 that I have now is far more compliant.

If you want more power while in comfort mode, I suggest pushing the loud pedal harder. It works for me!
In fact Top Gear did a test on its track with a car in Sport Mode and in Comfort Mode. The surprising result was almost identical lap times!!
F30 335i M-Sport, Glacier Silver, 19 403M, M-Adaptive Suspension, M-Brakes, M-Steering Wheel, Variable Sports Steering, HUD, SatNav, Heated Sports Seats, Surround View Cameras, Park Assist, HK Sound, Rear Roller Blind, CF Front Lip, Grills and Rear Spoiler, BlackVue Dashcams.
SteveAus is offline   Australia
      07-21-2014, 05:22 AM   #3
kanga

I agree , but it is hard to test drive a car in the country that the dealer doesnt have, hence the city test drive. The brochure I had stated the 9 speaker hi fi system was standard on the 328i.
I can assure you in a 328i the engine is detuned in comfort mode, you can tell instantly as well as the power and torque display show less power.
I would expect an M3 to be stiff and yes the 328i is soft in comparison but all the settings re the adaptive suspension I assumed were from a seperate control, me being careless doesn't change the fact that it is disappointing the engine is detuned in comfort mode when I assumed it was only referring to the suspension setting, as, after all, I paid to get comfort withe adaptive suspension I had no idea it would also effect performance as well.
      07-21-2014, 06:03 AM   #4
Stefanovich
Enlisted Member

Drives: 328i M Sport 6spd Alpine white

Hi kanga,
I think you can set up the idrive control to effectively get comfort damping and sport throttle. In sport mode, select driveline only, it will give sport engine mapping and comfort damping. Sorry to hear you are disappointed with your new car. It might grow on you, mine did.
Cheers
Steve
      07-21-2014, 07:34 AM   #5
Ninjaoz
Captain

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 BMW X5 3.0d  [5.00]
2011 BMW 320d  [5.00]
sorry to hear about your disappointed, the new C-class looks very promising!
Ninjaoz is offline   Australia
      07-21-2014, 07:44 AM   #6
kanga

Thanks for that Steve,I had no idea nor the dealer for that matter either that you could do that, it will make all the difference.
      07-21-2014, 08:11 AM   #7
328ihp
Private

Drives: 328i sapphire black sportline

Garage List
2012 bmw 328i  [0.00]
IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO NOT HAVE A 9 SPEAKER HIFI IN 328i, are you 100% that you have adaptive damping ? there is no other car in the segment that's going to handle better than a 328i with adaptive damping atm.... next c class maybe but your going to sacrifice a lot on the dynamic part.
328ihp is offline   Australia
      07-21-2014, 08:42 AM   #8
kanga

I checked and I do have Hi Fi, I didnt realise there were 2 base speakers under the seat. However the sound is not great at all and I am surprised it is so bad ,hence I was sure it was basic sound system not HI Fi, however it is.
I did a search on my chassis No. and found the specs, I do have adaptive suspension but I assume it adds to the drive modes and adapts automatically.
I read the book re idrive and it doesnt mention any custom settings so I am a little bewildered.
Thanks for your replies.

Last edited by kanga; 07-21-2014 at 08:43 AM. Reason: spelling
      07-21-2014, 09:53 AM   #9
Nick the Greek
Major

Drives: F30 328i MSport

Just a note on the audio.
It needs running in.
Seriously.
You'll need maybe 10-15 hours of running the audio for it to give its best.
This is because speakers have moving parts.

e90 330d, e90 330i, e90 325i, e46 330i, e46 330i, e46 328i, 3 x Golf GTI and some fun stuff - Suzuki GSXR1000 x 2, GSXR750 x 4, Honda Fireblade x 2, plus lots of two strokes when I were a lad
      07-21-2014, 03:37 PM   #10
Dabaitu
Colonel

Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
You going to sell it or keep it?
Dabaitu is offline   Australia
      07-21-2014, 03:51 PM   #11
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General

Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanga View Post
I can assure you in a 328i the engine is detuned in comfort mode, you can tell instantly as well as the power and torque display show less power.
With all due respect Kanga, show proof of your claim, rather than incorrect seat of the pants assessment. The Power and Torque display is not a reliable tool, it's just a fancy visual display.

What do you have - the 6MT or 8AT?

In addition, you have a brand new car, so give the engine just a little time to open up. The steering is terrific. Just took my car for a moderate hwy run recently and it was spot on.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect.
David328M-Sport is offline   Australia
      07-21-2014, 03:53 PM   #12
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General

Quote:
I checked and I do have Hi Fi, I didnt realise there were 2 base speakers under the seat. However the sound is not great at all and I am surprised it is so bad ,hence I was sure it was basic sound system not HI Fi, however it is.
If you want the hifi, then you require the 16 (sixteen) speaker Harman Kardon system, not the 9 speaker system. You probably have the mid level system.

I have the top of the range hk system and it's very good.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect.
      07-21-2014, 08:36 PM   #13
328ihp
Private

Drives: 328i sapphire black sportline

Garage List
2012 bmw 328i  [0.00]
Whats really confusing me is the fact that your complaining about the ride on adaptive suspension :S. I dont blame you but its just hard to see where your coming from,even in comfort the 8 speed and all the low down torque make it the best car to cruise in compared to the jerky 7g tronic in merc and a4s dual clutch. In retrospect I think you needed a 5 series/jag xf/e class that kind of isolate you in long trips.
Give it more time would be my best advice maybe it will come to you.
328ihp is offline   Australia
      07-21-2014, 09:11 PM   #14
kanga

I thank you all for your feedback, I am going to take the car out again and try all the settings. I will try comfort mode out and really try to determine the difference in throttle response and power. I have gone into i drive but you can't have sport engine mode for comfort but you can have sport without chassis sport mode, it may be the mode i am looking for.
I do think the engine is great and the car sounds great when you floor it , but I have ordered a Supersprint "racing" exhaust and it will be interesting to see how it changes the sound. Its a late October 2013 build so its a MY14 model but I can't tell if it is ACTIVE sound or the induction and exhaust but it sounds great above 4,000RPM through the gears.
It is my first BMW so I guess I will have to get used to it and appreciate it is a drivers car not a luxery limo, however the Mercedes was my first luxery car that was moderatly sporty, all my other cars were Alfa Romeo's and they unfortunately are not in the same catagory as the BMW or Mercedes.
I will not be selling it, I guess I just expected too much and I was underwhelmed.
I am sure I will be most impressed on the twisty bits of road I just expected a better selection of modes.
The stereo sound is a shock as I assumed all cars of this calabre would have much better sound, but I got a great deal and they couldnt get near it with a build, as the car was here and brand new. But next time I will do more research before rather than after.
      07-21-2014, 10:13 PM   #15
sygazelle
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport

Sorry you are disappointed. Please listen to the advice you are getting from others who have posted before me. I will reiterate what they have told you.

First, although a bit confusing and overwhelming, please play with iDrive and read the manual if necessary to figure out how to change your Sport mode to chassis only. I know this option is available in cars shipped to the US with DHP (adaptive suspension). I had my car a couple of months before I figured it out and made the change. Night and day difference. I like the stiffer suspension but not alway along with sport throttle. This change gives me the choice. If I want both sport chassis and sport throttle, I simply move the gear shift to the left (8AT) or put it Sport + mode. Problem solved.

Also, you are still in break in period. The car simply gets better and better as you drive it. Be patient if you can.

Regarding the sound: I have the HK upgrade with 16 speakers. It did not sound really good to me until I started messing with the equalizer settings with suggestions from this forum. It made all the difference in the world. I don't know if your system is adjustable, but if it is adjustable, play with it until it sounds better.

Please make these setting changes and get some miles on your car. I predict that you will change your tune.

Let us all know how it goes for you.

All the best.
      07-21-2014, 11:54 PM   #16
suparockin
Enlisted Member

Drives: Audi Q3

If you don't like the 9 speaker system (which you definitely have if you have a 328i) then go to a reputable car audio installer and they can switch out the stock speakers for not all that much money and it will improve dramatically.
      07-22-2014, 12:24 AM   #17
kanga

So, I've just returned from a test drive on a lonely road with no traffic and great visability. I took my wife with me this time, as she hadn't driven or been in it before.

Comfort mode is definitely slower in acceleration, but once you get past 5000 rpm, it is just as powerful as sport. However it's too dead for me to consider using it on anything other than really rough roads (mainly dirt) or boring freeway driving where I'd use the eco mode anyway.

I definitely liked the car a lot more today than when driving it home yesterday. It really does perform and is a great drivers car: great driving position and great fun to drive. While I would love the car to have a sport engine mode with comfort, I guess BMW would not consider that as a safe option.

I guess I was unrealistic expecting the comfort mode to behave more like the Mercedes, which had a mighty 3 litre diesal 165kw and 510nm torque engine including agility suspension that went from soft to hard internally without electronics, depending on the road condition. While the BMW is more fun to drive and would beat the Mercedes in all corners and on any race around a track or mountain, I was hoping comfort mode and the adaptive suspension would be comparable to the Mercedes. You lose too much throttle response in comfort mode, and the suspension is consistently soft.

So, yes, after a really good test drive, I do like the steering and the car is fantastic when pushed. When I take a drive for fun, the BMW is far more exciting and engaging than the Mercedes, but for a long trip (5 hours plus), I would be feeling much fresher getting out of the Mercedes (even moreso if I was a passenger).

I like driving, and the BMW is much much more sporty to drive than the Mercedes, so I'm satisfied and much more content than yesterday. The car is a great drivers car, so my first impressions were too harsh. However the Hi Fi stereo is substandard.

I am sorry if I've offended anyone.
      07-22-2014, 12:51 AM   #18
jctg
Second Lieutenant

Drives: F30 328i Sport BSM

Quote:
Comfort mode is definitely slower in acceleration, but once you get past 5000 rpm, it is just as powerful as sport. However it's too dead for me to consider using it on anything other than really rough roads (mainly dirt) or boring freeway driving where I'd use the eco mode anyway.
The difference is throttle mapping. There is no difference in acceleration if you floor it in either mode. The power available under your right foot is exactly the same - though comfort mode means you have to use more throttle.

I don't think BMW do the 3 any favour by setting throttle mapping in Comfort the way they have and married it to a turbo 4.

If you have HK on your Merc then the HiFi in the BMW will definitely disappoint. It is not bad but nothing to write home about (and I am not even a sound/music aficionado).
      07-22-2014, 06:18 AM   #19
SimonB
2nd Time BMW Owner

Drives: 335i M-Sport, optioned up!

Try driving a 335i in Eco Pro mode and see how depressed you get. I tried it on the way home tonight and just couldn't bear it after 5 mins :-)
MY14 335i M-Sport, EBII, Merino leather (Individual) black with cashmere stitching & piping, HUD, Adaptive Headlights, HBA, HK Audio, Park Assist, M-Sport Brakes, Driver Assistance Pack, Lane Departure Warning, Adaptive Cruise Control, Sunroof, DAB, Comfort Access, VSS, Adaptive Suspension and MORE!
SimonB is offline   Australia
      07-22-2014, 09:21 AM   #20
Wombat
Private

Drives: Sparkling Bronze F31 328i

Quote:
you should try what sygazelle said.

If you want a more responsive throttle response simply push the gear lever left into S you will notice the revs go up straight away. You may also want to run your car in a bit as well, I felt the engine was more responsive after around 3000 kilometers.

I also have my adaptive suspension set up for Sport with Chassis only. That way I effectively have 6 settings.

ECO
Comfort
Comfort with S (which is what I think you want)
Sport with regular engine setting (heavier steering and stiffer chassis only)
Sport with S
Sport +

these settings are also know as

Kids are asleep
Kids are awake but in traffic
Kids are awake on open road
Driving alone in traffic
Driving alone on open road
Sunday Cruise

Last edited by Wombat; 07-22-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Wombat is offline   Hong Kong
      07-22-2014, 03:40 PM   #21
Dabaitu
Colonel

Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat View Post

I also have my adaptive suspension set up for Sport with Chassis only. That way I effectively have 6 settings.

ECO
Comfort
Comfort with S (which is what I think you want)
Sport with regular engine setting (heavier steering and stiffer chassis only)
Sport with S
Sport +

these settings are also know as

Kids are asleep
Kids are awake but in traffic
Kids are awake on open road
Driving alone in traffic
Driving alone on open road
Sunday Cruise
Dabaitu is offline   Australia
      07-22-2014, 03:50 PM   #22
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General

Quote:
Comfort mode is definitely slower in acceleration, but once you get past 5000 rpm, it is just as powerful as sport.
Still don't know whether you have the 6MT or 8AT.

With the 8AT, the mapping in COMFORT Mode is set such that it quickly changes gears (emphasis on quickly) to reach top gear in as short a time as possible, thus making the car feel like it's underpowered. This changes when you activate DS or SPORT/SPORT+ modes.

The gears are held for longer periods, thus moving the car quicker at moderate speeds. Once you push/floor the accelerator in COMFORT Mode, the car acts like it's in SPORT Mode. This will happen in EcoPro Mode as well.

If, after you have driven the car a few thousand kms and you feel it still needs a nudge off the line and throughout the gears, then invest in BMS's Stage 1 piggyback booster kit. It is terrific for the price and will make the car feel 'alive' in COMFORT' mode and ballistic in SPORT Mode. It's super easy to install and remove as needed as well.