F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Dash camera
Bimmertech

01-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #1
SimonB
2nd Time BMW Owner

Drives: 335i M-Sport, optioned up!

Dash camera

Hi guys, I installed my Blackvue dash camera today and plugged it into the lighter point under the glovebox. 2 questions, if anyone knows the answer:

1) Is that socket live all the time? It certainly is for some time after turning off ignition, but I haven't tested it for hours afterwards.

2) Does the F30 have it's own battery voltage protection? I read somewhere that it does, but I haven't seen that corroborated anywhere.

Simon....
MY14 335i M-Sport, EBII, Merino leather (Individual) black with cashmere stitching & piping, HUD, Adaptive Headlights, HBA, HK Audio, Park Assist, M-Sport Brakes, Driver Assistance Pack, Lane Departure Warning, Adaptive Cruise Control, Sunroof, DAB, Comfort Access, VSS, Adaptive Suspension and MORE!
SimonB is offline   Australia
      01-03-2014, 12:31 PM   #2
RaceTruk
Lieutenant

Drives: X5 35xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Hi guys, I installed my Blackvue dash camera today and plugged it into the lighter point under the glovebox. 2 questions, if anyone knows the answer:

1) Is that socket live all the time? It certainly is for some time after turning off ignition, but I haven't tested it for hours afterwards.

2) Does the F30 have it's own battery voltage protection? I read somewhere that it does, but I haven't seen that corroborated anywhere.

Simon....
the port will not be live after a couple hours.
hardwire it to the door lock fuse in the glovebox.
dont know abotu battery protection but you should get a power magic pro wire that are commonly used for the blackvue and hook it to the fuse
      01-03-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
blt
Enlisted Member

Drives: F30 328i Sportline

Sorry, I don't have an answer to your questions but have an alternative . I recently purchased a dashcam, and didn't like the idea of securing cables everywhere with clips. Instead, I use a 6000mAh battery for charging phones, which is held in a visor organiser, with a short USB cable to the dashcam. Comes in handy if you're parking in a dodgy area and want to keep an eye on who's checking out your car. The battery has enough charge to keep the dashcam going for about 5-6 hours, and I have a couple of spares in case I forget to charge it over night or at work. For those long trips, I'll recharge it using the cigarette lighter.
      01-04-2014, 12:33 AM   #4
SimonB
2nd Time BMW Owner

Bit, thanks for your suggestion - I don't think I need that option though. A good alternative though.
MY14 335i M-Sport, EBII, Merino leather (Individual) black with cashmere stitching & piping, HUD, Adaptive Headlights, HBA, HK Audio, Park Assist, M-Sport Brakes, Driver Assistance Pack, Lane Departure Warning, Adaptive Cruise Control, Sunroof, DAB, Comfort Access, VSS, Adaptive Suspension and MORE!
      01-04-2014, 12:34 AM   #5
SimonB
2nd Time BMW Owner

Thanks RaceTruk - I'll see how I go.
      01-04-2014, 01:22 AM   #6
RaceTruk
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt View Post
Sorry, I don't have an answer to your questions but have an alternative . I recently purchased a dashcam, and didn't like the idea of securing cables everywhere with clips. Instead, I use a 6000mAh battery for charging phones, which is held in a visor organiser, with a short USB cable to the dashcam. Comes in handy if you're parking in a dodgy area and want to keep an eye on who's checking out your car. The battery has enough charge to keep the dashcam going for about 5-6 hours, and I have a couple of spares in case I forget to charge it over night or at work. For those long trips, I'll recharge it using the cigarette lighter.
Securing cables everywhere?
It's 1 wire tucked under the headliner down the a-pillar and into the glove.
No clips needed anywhere.
The odds of vandalism after 6 hours is prob way higher and your camera will be dead when you need it
      01-05-2014, 12:20 AM   #7
SimonB
2nd Time BMW Owner

Just whilst I am on the subject, a word of warning re the Blackvue 500GW-HD camera. Mine is not updating the date and time from the GPS and is constantly on 1970 and the same hour and minute. This seems to be a relatively common problem with no apparent resolution. I will be taking it back to where I bought it tomorrow as I shouldn't have to hack the damn thing to get it going.
      01-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #8
Ichiro
Private

Drives: Z4

Hey Simon. now you've made me curious about these dash cams (I know they're used heavily in Europe and East Asia, but haven't really seen much of them in private cars here in Sydney).

Mind sharing what made you decide to get one?
      01-05-2014, 10:37 PM   #9
SimonB
2nd Time BMW Owner

Ichiro, driving is getting worse and worse over here in Perth and I see people running red lights, stop signs etc just about every day. So, for the relatively low cost, I just wanted evidential backup in the event of an incident/accident. Nothing more, nothing less
      01-06-2014, 12:39 AM   #10
RaceTruk
Lieutenant

By the way you can find an aftermarket firmware that is so posed to be better.
Try googling it.
Not sure what the difference is but I think is was better resolution and it may fix the date issue
      01-06-2014, 02:19 AM   #11
SimonB
2nd Time BMW Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTruk View Post
By the way you can find an aftermarket firmware that is so posed to be better.
Try googling it.

Not sure what the difference is but I think is was better resolution and it may fix the date issue
I'm already subscribed and am a member of those forums . It appears debate able as to whether it's still required since the Dec release by Pittasoft. However, will keep an eye on it. The date issue I had was a fault with my unit.
      01-06-2014, 05:02 PM   #12
Ichiro
Private

Drives: Z4

Quote:
Ichiro, driving is getting worse and worse over here in Perth and I see people running red lights, stop signs etc just about every day. So, for the relatively low cost, I just wanted evidential backup in the event of an incident/accident. Nothing more, nothing less
I get you. Sydney is pretty bad in some suburbs. I might have to invest in one of these little cams as well.
      01-12-2014, 03:44 AM   #13
Gsport
Enlisted Member

Drives: 328i Sportline

Quote:
Just whilst I am on the subject, a word of warning re the Blackvue 500GW-HD camera. Mine is not updating the date and time from the GPS and is constantly on 1970 and the same hour and minute. This seems to be a relatively common problem with no apparent resolution. I will be taking it back to where I bought it tomorrow as I shouldn't have to hack the damn thing to get it going.
Just wondering why you went for Blackvue over GoPro?
Geoff
      01-12-2014, 06:29 AM   #14
SJ00
Major

Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsport View Post
Just wondering why you went for Blackvue over GoPro?
Geoff
go pro makes dash cams?
SJ00 is offline   Australia
      01-12-2014, 06:38 AM   #15
Gsport
Enlisted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ00 View Post
go pro makes dash cams?
They don't call them dash cams but my friends use them for that purpose and also mount them outside the car for various video clips, rear bumper to pick up exhaust, side of the car etc. I have never really looked into what the differences are so thought someone who had purchased something other than GoPro might have looked into it.
G
      01-12-2014, 07:57 AM   #16
SJ00
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsport View Post
They don't call them dash cams but my friends use them for that purpose and also mount them outside the car for various video clips, rear bumper to pick up exhaust, side of the car etc. I have never really looked into what the differences are so thought someone who had purchased something other than GoPro might have looked into it.
G
i don't think you understand how a dash cam actually works?
      01-12-2014, 02:17 PM   #17
Gsport
Enlisted Member

Quote:
So how do they differ from Go Pro which records , dates and can run loops. As far as I can see they are essentialy the same. What's the difference as I am thinking of buying one and GoPro seems to get pretty high ratings
Thanks
G
      01-12-2014, 02:21 PM   #18
Gsport
Enlisted Member

Quote:
Meant tosay this is what Choice lists under their DashCam review

Brands tested

Autocam FHD
Blackvue DR500GW-HD
DOD V680L
Gopro Hero 3 Silver Edition
Itronics ITB-100HD
Navig[8]r Crash Cam Pro
Navman Mivue 338
Smarty BX1500 Plus
Uniden IGO Cam 300
Vacron CDR-E07
Visiondrive VD-8000HDS
      01-12-2014, 05:31 PM   #19
SimonB
2nd Time BMW Owner

Sorry Gsport, I've been rather busy with stuff of late. GoPro cameras are 'action cams', for recording all sorts of stuff. Dashcams are specifically designed for recording vision from your car. The latter could have things like GPS positioning/speed info, impact recording when parked, low profile case, whereas the former won't. So, while a GoPro would work, it's not optimal for the purpose.
      01-12-2014, 06:56 PM   #20
SJ00
Major

yeah i was too lazy to explain, was hoping Gsport would just google it
      01-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #21
Gsport
Enlisted Member

Quote:
Sorry Gsport, I've been rather busy with stuff of late. GoPro cameras are 'action cams', for recording all sorts of stuff. Dashcams are specifically designed for recording vision from your car. The latter could have things like GPS positioning/speed info, impact recording when parked, low profile case, whereas the former won't. So, while a GoPro would work, it's not optimal for the purpose.
Thanks Simon, very helpful. I have been very impressed with the GoPro video but can also see the advantage in something more specialized. Ill go do some price hunting.
Cheers
G
      01-12-2014, 09:54 PM   #22
SimonB
2nd Time BMW Owner

Quote:
yeah i was too lazy to explain, was hoping Gsport would just google it

Gsport, I would wait for a bit. There's an Australian developed Dashcam coming onto the market soon that looks very interesting. I've liked their FB page, to get updates, which I do, but I can't find any of the posts at the moment. I'll update this when I find it!