F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Deactivate Comfort Access Hands-Free Trunk Release
European Auto Source

04-23-2017, 09:07 PM   #1
DMVisions
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i xDrive M Sport

Deactivate Comfort Access Hands-Free Trunk Release

Hi Everyone!

This may seem like an odd request, but I'm seeking advice for how to deactivate my hands-free trunk release on my 2017 330i Wagon.

Reason: I just had an invisihitch installed and unfortunately this interferers with the motion detectors for the comfort access hands-free trunk release. This is a basic 1 1/4" hitch designed for carrying a bike rack. As a result, the trunk/hatch will open based on the slightest movement from my hitch and/or hitch mounted bike rack.

As you can imagine this is very troublesome as the hatch will open directly into my bike!!!! I'm happy I noticed quickly after install before I had the opportunity to accidently damage both my bike and my hatch!

Unlike the sedans, the wagons don't have a "trunk lock" button located in the glove box. It seems like there must be a way to deactivate the hands-free sensor. Is this something that I could simply unplug?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! I can't imagine I'm the only wagon guy who's ran into this problem.

PS: Roof only isn't a solution. I have two (road) bike racks on the roof of my car as well. Sometimes it's necessary I have the ability to carry 2 mountain bikes or 4 road bikes.

Thanks everyone!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 09:34 PM   #2
Billfitz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

This would be a coding fix. If you unplug the sensor you'd probably have a permanent warning on the dash.
You can code just about anything, the hard part is finding the code to change, unless you speak German.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 10:48 PM   #3
DMVisions
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
This would be a coding fix. If you unplug the sensor you'd probably have a permanent warning on the dash.
You can code just about anything, the hard part is finding the code to change, unless you speak German.
Unfortunately I don't! The dealer wasn't to helpful when I called a few days ago and asked the question if they could fix the issue through coding.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 11:11 PM   #4
jtskariah
Bud Light General
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMVisions View Post
Unfortunately I don't! The dealer wasn't to helpful when I called a few days ago and asked the question if they could fix the issue through coding.
Contact bimmertech they can do remote coding for you. They should be able to solve your problem at a cheaper rate than the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 03:26 PM   #5
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY2017 M4

It's the same coding that happens when you install a CF rear diffuser, the dealer should know about it.

15. Concluding work and coding
The retrofit system is relevant to programming/coding only if the carbon rear diffuser retrofit set is installed.
– Connect the battery
– Connect the battery charger to the car
– Connect the car to the ISTA work shop system
– Call up the ISTA/P car programming facility
– If using ISTA/P, please note the instructions provided in the ISTA/P application documentation
– Retrofit K-word: Select"DSMO"via the-Conversion-path and work through the created action plan
– If necessary, carry out a car test using the ISTA system and note or work through any entered error memory
– Conduct a function test
– Re-assemble the car in a logical manner
– Give the customer the customer information

Last edited by 2kaccordocoupe; 04-24-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 03:42 PM   #6
Gabreigns
Captain
Rep
Drives: F3x

I have a wagon with the same invisihitch for a few years now and I never have had this issue.
I have a Thule bike rack that I mount on there into the 1.25 hitch receiver.
When the hitch was installed the installer made sure that the comfort access system was reinstalled properly.
I am thinking if it is either a faulty install or a faulty comfort access system in the trunk area.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 06:56 PM   #7
DMVisions
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtskariah View Post
Contact bimmertech they can do remote coding for you. They should be able to solve your problem at a cheaper rate than the dealer.
I will give them a call. Looks Promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
It's the same coding that happens when you install a CF rear diffuser, the dealer should know about it.

15. Concluding work and coding
The retrofit system is relevant to programming/coding only if the carbon rear diffuser retrofit set is installed.
Connect the battery
Connect the battery charger to the car
Connect the car to the ISTA work shop system
Call up the ISTA/P car programming facility
If using ISTA/P, please note the instructions provided in the ISTA/P application documentation
Retrofit K-word: Select"DSMO"via the-Conversion-path and work through the created action plan
If necessary, carry out a car test using the ISTA system and note or work through any entered error memory
Conduct a function test
Re-assemble the car in a logical manner
Give the customer the customer information
Is this information what I would provide my local dealer and ask them to perform?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabreigns View Post
I have a wagon with the same invisihitch for a few years now and I never have had this issue.
I have a Thule bike rack that I mount on there into the 1.25 hitch receiver.
When the hitch was installed the installer made sure that the comfort access system was reinstalled properly.
I am thinking if it is either a faulty install or a faulty comfort access system in the trunk area.
I think my problem is I have the M Performance rear diffuser that just "barely" touches the hitch. The movement from the hitch causes the diffuser to slightly move. As a result it activates the hand's free trunk release. Are you ever worries about your remote button accidently being pushed and opening into your bike? My last car didn't have automatic hatch opening so I never even thought about this!

Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 08:11 PM   #8
Gabreigns
Captain
Rep
Drives: F3x

Gotcha makes sense about the diffusor.
Yes I am worried it accidentally opening about when I have the key in my pocket and the bikes on. But I also take off and put the rack on whenever I need going off on my bike rides and I use the CA far to regularly to code it permanently off when the hitch is off.
But I do see your predicament.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 10:57 PM   #9
Billfitz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMVisions View Post
Post the question in the Coding section, someone probably knows how to do it. As for coding, it's intimidating until you do it the first time, and there's way too much useful stuff you can code to not learn how.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 08:50 AM   #10
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY2017 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Post the question in the Coding section, someone probably knows how to do it. As for coding, it's intimidating until you do it the first time, and there's way too much useful stuff you can code to not learn how.
To code it off/disable it your self is very easy, FEM_BODY --> CAM_SMART_OPENER = nicht_aktiv

I also saw a few members that moved the antenna to the left a bit and it fixed it. This was also with the m perf diffuser.
I disabled mine via coding but I do miss this feature so I am going to try to play with the antenna placement this week.
Appreciate 0