F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > VO Coding NBT2 with 6WD WLAN option
GetBMWParts

06-16-2017, 05:04 PM   #1
Bambazonke
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & F25 X3 2.0d

VO Coding NBT2 with 6WD WLAN option

Hi there
Is there anyone out there that has retro VO coded their NBT2 HU with the option SA 6WD (WiFi Hotspot) that comes factory fitted in the G12 7 series?

From what I have read it includes the option to use WiFi direct so one can configure Screen Mirroring from a compatible device which is what I am after. I have read a number of posts where users have activated the function via FDL coding but they all vary and I am yet to get it working in my 2016 X3

I am happy to try this but am not sure if it will work as it is not a factory option (as far as I am aware) in the F25 or F3x models and is there a risk I may brick the head unit in the process. Can anyone enlighten me on this?
      06-16-2017, 09:03 PM   #2
Almaretto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Coded '16 F10/F15 MSport

Hotspot is different from Miracast.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 10:15 PM   #3
Bambazonke
Enlisted Member
Rep

Have a look at the attached file where it explains to the user the option to also use WiFi direct and screen mirror with a compatible smartphone
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW G12 Hotspot.pdf (521.6 KB, 55 views)
      06-16-2017, 10:19 PM   #4
Almaretto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambazonke View Post
Have a look at the attached file where it explains to the user the option to also use WiFi direct and screen mirror with a compatible smartphone
I do not need to read document to know Miracast is a wifi-based ad-hoc network connection, though negotiated in similar form to Intel widi.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 10:51 PM   #5
Bambazonke
Enlisted Member
Rep

My point is by VO coding this option into your FA you theoretically will also get direct wifi to perform screen mirroring as well as the hotspot option and the appropriate FDL coding changed without having to go through a process of trial and error to get it to work.
The document I shared is also for other forum users to read that may not be as enlightened as you are on the subject and may be also wanting to achieve the same objective as me without the pain of trial and error of FDL coding

All I am asking is anyone out there actually done it to a NBT2 unit in a vehicle other than a 7 series and what was the outcome?
      06-16-2017, 11:10 PM   #6
Almaretto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

There is no need to guess if you use launcher cheat codes.

VO Coding will only get you part way there and provide extra unused menu items.

You can always use Coding-Verification if you want to determine FDL changes.

Last edited by Almaretto; 06-16-2017 at 11:24 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 07:45 AM   #7
Mwahab
The Garage
Egypt
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
My point is by VO coding this option into your FA you theoretically will also get direct wifi to perform screen mirroring as well as the hotspot option and the appropriate FDL coding changed without having to go through a process of trial and error to get it to work.
The document I shared is also for other forum users to read that may not be as enlightened as you are on the subject and may be also wanting to achieve the same objective as me without the pain of trial and error of FDL coding

All I am asking is anyone out there actually done it to a NBT2 unit in a vehicle other than a 7 series and what was the outcome?
Well, perhaps you can VO code your EVO and tell us the results, you can try.

The Garage -
Egypt

Offers some decent mods for the F series
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 03:09 AM   #8
Bambazonke
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahab View Post
Well, perhaps you can VO code your EVO and tell us the results, you can try.
Briefly went through the owner's manual which does mention the option to have Wifi Hotspot in an X3 so I added 6WD to the FA calculated the FP to check for errors of which there were none. Loaded it and wrote it to the car.

I then activated the FA checked the options list and observed the WIFI HOTSPOT at the end of the list.

Next I right clicked on the NBT2 module and coded it. Result was unit defaulted back to the factory settings as expected and I lost all my FDL codings that I had done over the past few months. Not a train smash as I backed these up anyway

Unfortunately there was no additional WiFi or screen mirroring options in the settings menu. I suspect this is because my I Level is F25 16-03-502 which predates the option being formally released and also why I cannot get GUI ID6 Lite to display as well.

So my only option is to get the software upgraded to the latest I Level. Any suggestions as to how I can persuade the dealer to update the CID and it's dependencies without paying for it. One well informed owner has given me one reason but the more I have the better
      06-26-2017, 06:01 PM   #9
Almaretto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Briefly went through the owner's manual which does mention the option to have Wifi Hotspot in an X3 so I added 6WD to the FA calculated the FP to check for errors of which there were none. Loaded it and wrote it to the car.

I then activated the FA checked the options list and observed the WIFI HOTSPOT at the end of the list.

Next I right clicked on the NBT2 module and coded it. Result was unit defaulted back to the factory settings as expected and I lost all my FDL codings that I had done over the past few months. Not a train smash as I backed these up anyway

Unfortunately there was no additional WiFi or screen mirroring options in the settings menu. I suspect this is because my I Level is F25 16-03-502 which predates the option being formally released and also why I cannot get GUI ID6 Lite to display as well.

So my only option is to get the software upgraded to the latest I Level. Any suggestions as to how I can persuade the dealer to update the CID and it's dependencies without paying for it. One well informed owner has given me one reason but the more I have the better
I recommend against writing VO to vehicle as that will cause issues with the dealership trying to update. I do not know the exact requirements, but you can also change production date in VO.

As far as getting dealership to update, you would have to complain about something that they can reproduce.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 05:47 AM   #10
Bambazonke
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
I recommend against writing VO to vehicle as that will cause issues with the dealership trying to update. I do not know the exact requirements, but you can also change production date in VO.

As far as getting dealership to update, you would have to complain about something that they can reproduce.
I have already reloaded the original VO that I backed up prior to adding 6WD. Thinking of asking them to add Apple Car play which I think will force them to update but it's close to AU$500 which in my opinion is a complete rip off.

ATM trying to convince the other half to ditch the iPhone and get a Samsung when her contract expires at the end of the year not having much luck so far but if I get the Screen Mirroring up and going it make get me over the line
      06-28-2017, 07:22 AM   #11
Almaretto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have already reloaded the original VO that I backed up prior to adding 6WD. Thinking of asking them to add Apple Car play which I think will force them to update but it's close to AU$500 which in my opinion is a complete rip off.

ATM trying to convince the other half to ditch the iPhone and get a Samsung when her contract expires at the end of the year not having much luck so far but if I get the Screen Mirroring up and going it make get me over the line
You can get Carplay for much less through third parties. But, I still think it is not worth it.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 10:12 AM   #12
Mwahab
The Garage
Egypt
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

You can get Carplay for much less through third parties. But, I still think it is not worth it.
I am with this opinion too!
The VIM and screen mirroring are the best so far!

The Garage -
Egypt

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 12:26 AM   #13
Almaretto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahab View Post
I am with this opinion too!
The VIM and screen mirroring are the best so far!
Can you get Screen Mirroring to use full screen? If yes, is it a phone or IDrive setting?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 03:56 PM   #14
Mwahab
The Garage
Egypt
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Can you get Screen Mirroring to use full screen? If yes, is it a phone or IDrive setting?
No i never thought about this issue before, will give it a shot when possible and get back to you if i reached anything

The Garage -
Egypt

Appreciate 1
      07-01-2017, 11:32 PM   #15
GCinFLA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1385407
Appreciate 0