F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Album art on hard drive?
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
11
Rep
601
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South West

iTrader: (0)

Album art on hard drive?

There seems to be conflicting opinions about this, so can someone who actually has the Pro Nav setup confirm whether album art is shown on MP3 files that have been imported onto the hard disk? I'm assuming that the album art has been embedded into the individual MP3 files with MP3Tag or similar software.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
carconvert
Private First Class
Canada
11
Rep
164
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 328i Luxury Line
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

I can confirm that album art does NOT show up when imported to the hard drive when embedded in the mp3 file -- I tried it
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
11
Rep
601
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South West

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carconvert View Post
I can confirm that album art does NOT show up when imported to the hard drive when embedded in the mp3 file -- I tried it
Thanks.

That's pretty ridiculous. If it can read album art from a USB stick why on earth can't it do it from the hard drive? That, and the fact that you can only import to the hard drive in bulk renders the hard drive pretty useless. It's easier to just use USB as you can update your music much more easily anyway. Hopefully BMW will release a firmware update that fixes this.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
carconvert
Private First Class
Canada
11
Rep
164
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 328i Luxury Line
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

oh?!? I havent been able to get it to read album art from a USB stick either... hmmm
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
Foreigner
New Member
0
Rep
13
Posts

 
Drives: F3x
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: L.A.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
Thanks.

That's pretty ridiculous. If it can read album art from a USB stick why on earth can't it do it from the hard drive? That, and the fact that you can only import to the hard drive in bulk renders the hard drive pretty useless. It's easier to just use USB as you can update your music much more easily anyway. Hopefully BMW will release a firmware update that fixes this.
Album cover display for the Music Collection will become available with the new Nav. Professional (NBT).
The old Nav. Professional (CIC) cannot do this (cover art for USB Sticks is a feature the combox provides).

Btw. one advantage the Music Collection already offers is the possibility to search it using voice commands. Canīt do that with music from flash drives. Pretty cool once you get used to it.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 04:16 AM   #6
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
11
Rep
601
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South West

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreigner View Post
Album cover display for the Music Collection will become available with the new Nav. Professional (NBT).
The old Nav. Professional (CIC) cannot do this (cover art for USB Sticks is a feature the combox provides).

Btw. one advantage the Music Collection already offers is the possibility to search it using voice commands. Canīt do that with music from flash drives. Pretty cool once you get used to it.
Interesting - wasn't aware of that about searching by voice. Maybe it's not so useless after all then.

At the end of the day it's not *that* important to have album art - it's only eye candy. I just find it strange that it only works from flash drives.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST