F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Video Demos: New BMW Navigation, iDrive Touch, Voice Dictation, LTE & 3rd Party Apps
ARMA SPEED

07-13-2012, 12:58 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Cool Video Demos: New BMW Navigation, iDrive Touch, Voice Dictation, LTE & 3rd Party Apps

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Video Demos: New BMW Navigation, iDrive Touch, Voice Dictation, LTE an 3rd Party Apps
COMMENTS

See the many recently announced BMW ConnectedDrive features in action. The videos below are from an online press conference, showing and explaining the new BMW Navigation Professional, iDrive Touch, Voice Dictation, LTE Wifi and 3rd Party Smartphone Apps. Also see the links directly below for more information on each:

New Navigation Professional
iDrive Touch Controller
Voice Dictation
LTE Wifi Hotspot
3rd Party Smartphone Apps

Below is the rollout schedule for the new navigation and iDrive. These dates do not apply to the new iDrive Touch system, which will have a separate rollout and application schedule.

* The new navigation and iDrive updates will not be coming to any E-series models (i.e. E90, E92, E89, E84, etc.)

For those curious, the list of hardware upgrades (vs. the current) include:
  • Intel processor 1.3Ghz vs Renesas 600Mhz
  • 1GB RAM (vs 512Mb)
  • 8GB flash (vs 512Mb)
  • Nvidia graphics (vs Fujitsu)
  • 200GB hard drive (vs 80Gb)

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 01:48 AM   #2
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Great- the videos really bring it all to life.

As a right handed Brit driving a RHD car, it seems entering characters on the touchpad would be very tricky. I can use the current iDrive controller just fine but I'm pretty sure I'd struggle to use the touchpad.

For most of the world that will not be an issue.

Also, in the video BMW demonstrates exactly why the decision to launch this in China makes sense.
      07-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
BMWPower06
A^M=G is nothing w/o the Power of ///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M5 & ///M3

200gb hard drive
      07-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

Graphics will be insane. The extra storage and dictation software is awesome. But I think it will be distracting more than anything. !!!
      07-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Mmmm, exciting new ways to distract the driver

Hands-free does not mean distraction-free.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae
Great- the videos really bring it all to life.

As a right handed Brit driving a RHD car, it seems entering characters on the touchpad would be very tricky. I can use the current iDrive controller just fine but I'm pretty sure I'd struggle to use the touchpad.

For most of the world that will not be an issue.

Also, in the video BMW demonstrates exactly why the decision to launch this in China makes sense.
Lol it won't be a prob for the gen Y,
But on the other hand, it would be a troublesome learning curve for the rest.
      07-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
Zyklonic
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

So I missed having this in my 2012 F30 by two months?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyklonic View Post
So I missed having this in my 2012 F30 by two months?
Seems like BMW messed this up by not having it ready for 2013 335i launch. I just dont understand why they couldnt have it in the production as a running change like the rest of the 5, 7 and Active E 3!

I am holding off for November since i waited for the 2013. buying a car is stressful enough knowing the deals will be similiar or better just waiting until November. Its a shame really.

The consensus though is its not worth waiting for. And those votes come from people in 2012 and early 2013 on order. the rest love it. cant say i blame the early adopters for being pissed.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPower06 View Post
200gb hard drive
impressive.

how much is pure music space?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #10
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Are we getting the touch in 2013 models or 2013?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
adelphi_sky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Jet Black

No impressed at all. IF a driver needs to do all that while going 80mph, then they just need to park and whip out their Ipad or something. Not sure why people are holding off on their orders for this. The allure is just that it is new and shiny. Increased graphics? Was there really an issue with the old graphics? Still can't watch a DVD while driving. Party apps in an ultimate driving machine? Really? The only thing I would be interested in is a weather radar function. But I get that on my phone, so I still wouldn't cancel or change an order. 90% of the stuff you can't do while actively driving in an urban area. You'd have to park it do most of that stuff. As long as it helps me get from point a to point b, plays my music, (do I really need to look at album art while driving?), and provide auto system feedback. Not a fan of facebook, twitter, etc. There's no email that important that I need to read it while driving. Text either. If it is that important, the person should call. You guys are letting technology encroach on your sanity too much. Step away from the grid. You'll be happier.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #12
Headgrunt
Rep
Drives: X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky
No impressed at all. IF a driver needs to do all that while going 80mph, then they just need to park and whip out their Ipad or something. Not sure why people are holding off on their orders for this. The allure is just that it is new and shiny. Increased graphics? Was there really an issue with the old graphics? Still can't watch a DVD while driving. Party apps in an ultimate driving machine? Really? The only thing I would be interested in is a weather radar function. But I get that on my phone, so I still wouldn't cancel or change an order. 90% of the stuff you can't do while actively driving in an urban area. You'd have to park it do most of that stuff. As long as it helps me get from point a to point b, plays my music, (do I really need to look at album art while driving?), and provide auto system feedback. Not a fan of facebook, twitter, etc. There's no email that important that I need to read it while driving. Text either. If it is that important, the person should call. You guys are letting technology encroach on your sanity too much. Step away from the grid. You'll be happier.
+1

The best part of my day is, getting into my "Ultimate Driving Machine" and driving away from the office....
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #13
XBMW6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 740Li 2021 M850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I wasn't going to say it that way...but you've laid out some of my thoughts on the current technological trends. I do agree that some of those features are hardly used or appreciated by majority of the users, however, I think it's the idea or perception by new customers that their new ride (within a year) is already outdated by a newly introduced features that cannot be retrofitted for whatever reason. BMW, in recent years, has been making changes and adding features to most lineup within short period. But, I guess it's the nature of the auto business nowadays in order to stay compatitive.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #14
Karazy
Go Fast And Take Chances
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Beyond Awesome!

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #15
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

I'm waiting to see if technic will be able to retrofit into the current generation of cars
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #16
Estoril Sport
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911.2 S4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post

Great for left handed people RHD cars :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #17
crowed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBMW6 View Post
I wasn't going to say it that way...but you've laid out some of my thoughts on the current technological trends. I do agree that some of those features are hardly used or appreciated by majority of the users, however, I think it's the idea or perception by new customers that their new ride (within a year) is already outdated by a newly introduced features that cannot be retrofitted for whatever reason. BMW, in recent years, has been making changes and adding features to most lineup within short period. But, I guess it's the nature of the auto business nowadays in order to stay compatitive.
Yep, I agree with you. I don't know why some automatically assume that waiting for it has no worth. I'm pretty sure plenty of people think that it is worth it to get the latest offering in their car (something that is worth this much money should not make the user feel outdated in a matter of 1month or less), and this is exactly why I would be a little peeved if I had bought the 2013 before the Nov production AND paid the same price. However, my reason for being peeved is that it will undoubtedly affect resale value 2-3 years down the road, and for what, 1-2months?

-crow
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #18
rgrovr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3

No Android support for the BMW Apps? or maybe I missed it?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #19
BXL4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i Alpine White

So I'm a bit confused. What, if any changes will happen to November builds without Nav?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #20
GSK130i
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 Alpine White M135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky
Well l put mate
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 02:02 AM   #21
Zyklonic
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

To me it seems like a rolling trend.
I couldn't get the M suspension put on my '12 but I saw people having their orders with it. Now it's like 'new I drive!' and mine won't have that either. It's either I ordered mine at precisely the exact wrong moment, or the worse case of lag in the game of life.

...or I'm an idiot.

(any of these reasons extremely reasonable and highly probable).
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #22
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

lol

Newbs to the always changing BMW, it doesn't matter when you buy it, BMW will have something out newer, faster, etc within a few years (or even just a few months!)...

Did anyone notice that these "roll-out" dates do not include the new "touch" system? If you want that, you'll have to wait even longer. And those that get the "new" system will feel like theirs is already "dated" when the touch component comes out...

Bottom line? Buy the car when your ready to buy the car, enjoy the car as it is, these small techno-details do not matter to the overall ownership experience...

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0