F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Need help with a decision - Car is on the boat, might bail on it.
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #23
doublevanosrc
Loves Runflats.
 
doublevanosrc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 VW GTi
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin. Tx

Posts: 1,859
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW  [0.00]
2011 BMW  [0.00]
Car companies will always be adding options that you want, its how they keep things fresh. You would have to trade in your car every 6 months just to keep up. It sounds like you got a sweet deal I would just keep the car that is coming.
__________________
2011 135i M Sport
Gone and missed
doublevanosrc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #24
tony20009
Brigadier General
 
tony20009's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 4,269
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMM_OMG View Post
OK, I'll play devil's advocate...

Many of the responses you've received have expressed opinions about what's important to that responder. However, it's YOUR car and it's about what's important to YOU. From your posts, it seems like the lack of features on the current nav would bother you. Given that you plan to keep the car for awhile and that you have another dealer willing to give you the same pricing, I'd say cancel the order and get what you really want.
Despite my opinion that it's silly to cancel the purchase, that it is your car and your money, OP, and not mine or anyone else's, should be what guides your decision. You are the only one who has to live with your choice, so you should do what makes you most satisfied.

Please forgive me my earlier response. The one I wrote here should have been the first thing I said. I cannot deny that I sometimes become sarcastic/smug, especially when faced with a question that, really, isn't anyone's to answer but the person who asked it. Accordingly, I take amusement in responding to folks who seem to have $40 - $50K of disposable income, yet cannot, without soliciting a bunch of strangers, make decisions regarding their own personal satisfaction and/or financial well being. I was brought up such that that's just not something adults do. So again, apologies for any umbrage I may have caused you. Just as a skunk knows well that he stinks, I know this is one of my flaws.

Sincerely,
Tony
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #25
Haarschmerzen
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 320i xdrive
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Switzerland

Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)

It seems here that most people don't care if they get the old idrive which is fine.

I don't agree about the analogy to the iphone. My Iphone 3GS is 3 years old and I can still upgrade it to the latest software with only minor features not included. If BMW lets me upgrade my idrive system to the new features, I wouldn't care about the new iDrive.

I just have a feeling they will drop the old iDrive and we won't get any future software innovations like new apps that can communicate with the idrive system.

Also I payed for every technology extra and its not cheap so I could at least expect some compatibility with future updates at least till the facelift...
Haarschmerzen is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #26
gerbs
woof
 
gerbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Estoril F30 335i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 1,179
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to gerbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haarschmerzen View Post
I just have a feeling they will drop the old iDrive and we won't get any future software innovations like new apps that can communicate with the idrive system.
In the past, this is what BMW has done. And probably what they will do moving forward. Once the new iDrive hardware comes out, the old is completely forgotten.
__________________

2013 F13 ///M6 Sakhir Orange
2013 F30 335i Estoril Blue II
2008 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue
2007 E92 335i Montego Blue
gerbs is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #27
rjc32000
First Lieutenant
 
rjc32000's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M Sport X Drive
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Alaska

Posts: 306
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haarschmerzen View Post
I don't agree about the analogy to the iphone. My Iphone 3GS is 3 years old and I can still upgrade it to the latest software with only minor features not included. If BMW lets me upgrade my idrive system to the new features, I wouldn't care about the new iDrive.
A very good point. Odds of a software update for the "old" iDrive are very slim.
rjc32000 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #28
RPM90
Major General
 
Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 6,031
iTrader: (1)

Have we finally come to a point where people buy options and luxury technology over buying the actual car and what it offers a driver?

Don't get the NAV and then don't worry about a newer version coming soon.

Last edited by RPM90; 07-18-2012 at 05:59 PM.
RPM90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #29
KQ335XF30
BMWCCA #470039
 
KQ335XF30's Avatar
 
Drives: F30-335XDRIVE
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)

If you can cancel with a full refund, then I think you should do it since you're having 2nd thoughts. One should always get what they want for this kind of money. However I would not go back to that dealership for services (hahaha, just joking).

Perhaps you're doing the dealership a favor, as they might be able to sell it to someone else at a higher price. At my dealership, they will refund only after they sell the car though so you might want to verify that.

This is the main reason why I didn't get the technology package, or NAV for my car.
I am a tech guy and love technology but as soon as you take it out of the store, it's yesterday's news.
KQ335XF30 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #30
martianpc
Private
 
Drives: 2013 335i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Central, PA

Posts: 67
iTrader: (0)

I appreciate everyone's responses, certainly a lot of ways to look at this decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Accordingly, I take amusement in responding to folks who seem to have $40 - $50K of disposable income, yet cannot, without soliciting a bunch of strangers, make decisions regarding their own personal satisfaction and/or financial well being. I was brought up such that that's just not something adults do. So again, apologies for any umbrage I may have caused you. Just as a skunk knows well that he stinks, I know this is one of my flaws.

Sincerely,
Tony
I do not come looking for people to make my decision for me. I am looking for people to help discuss the pros and cons so that I am able to make a better and more informed decision. I come from the mindset and believe that it is very easy to get one idea or thought in your head that can make it difficult to see different angles and points of view. Maybe I had overlooked a potentially large consideration... Who knows, that is why I solicit input from others. Two (many) minds are often better than one.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc32000 View Post
A very good point. Odds of a software update for the "old" iDrive are very slim.
Exactly, even if the new APPs and SDK will work for the old system, I bet most software developers will develop for the new hardware since they can do more with its better hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Have we finally come to a point where people buy options and luxury technology over buying the actual car and what it offers a driver?

Don't get the NAV and then don't worry about a newer version coming soon.
I do not think we buy options and luxury over the actual car. If that was the case I would buy a Lexus or Cadillac. I think we have advanced with modern technology to the point that the balance and integration with the driving and mobility functions is more interconnected. We can by all means eliminate these new features and just have a drivers car; but if we are going to have these features though, why not consider the benefits of newer technology when it is available.
__________________
2013 MG 335i
martianpc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2012, 07:45 PM   #31
MaX PL
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: Yota
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY

Posts: 240
iTrader: (0)

biggest issue ive found in the OP is that youre an android user.
MaX PL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #32
martianpc
Private
 
Drives: 2013 335i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Central, PA

Posts: 67
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX PL View Post
biggest issue ive found in the OP is that youre an android user.
HAHA

Android =

iPhone =
__________________
2013 MG 335i
martianpc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #33
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
 
Maz335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i M Sport (Special Ed)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Mississauga, Ontario

Posts: 2,979
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martianpc View Post
HAHA

Android =

iPhone =
LOL

I'm a long time Apple loyalist with all their products but after the launch of the Galaxy S3 with Ice Cream Sandwich, I have to say this is something I may consider...
__________________
MODS: *** / M Sport + Performance / Meisterschaft / Challenge / MORR / more to come! ***
Maz335i is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #34
bcl0328
Major
 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Abingdon, MD

Posts: 1,139
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz335i View Post
LOL

I'm a long time Apple loyalist with all their products but after the launch of the Galaxy S3 with Ice Cream Sandwich, I have to say this is something I may consider...
the s3 made my apple fan boy boss switch to android. he loves it.
bcl0328 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #35
MaX PL
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: Yota
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY

Posts: 240
iTrader: (0)

yuck. i just threw up a little by reading your posts.
MaX PL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #36
dd1981
Kapetan Svog Života
 
dd1981's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i sport
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 1,543
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocohead View Post
Personally I would not want the new system until it has been out for a few years. There will be bugs and glitches that won't be obvious until you have to live with them. If you are willing to deal with that, AND willing to wait, AND having the new system is more important than four months of driving the car, then wait. Word to the wise though...please don't be surprised when the car has a bunch of issues.
+1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
Some people just *have* to have the latest version of anything though - just look at the queues of people outside Apple stores when there's a new Apple anything. Logic and common sense just don't come into the equation.
Yes this is true, but there is a huge difference when you spend 57,000 on a car and $300 for a new iphone...I would take a risk on something thats $300 with a contract to have the latest and greatest. Not in the mood to gamble with expensive cars. Just my .02.
__________________
Custom Modified OEM Muffler,
back
dd1981 is online now   Serbia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #37
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
 
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Melbourne Australia

Posts: 3,444
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martianpc View Post
I am very bothered by the lack of the new iDrive until November builds. Is it worth waiting for a November build to get the new iDrive
I started a local (Australian) thread here:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716694

I had a few responses, but after some consideration, I decided to stay put with the current Nav Pro. The suggestions from other members may help you with your decision making.

Cheers
__________________
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect.
David328M-Sport is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #38
RPM90
Major General
 
Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 6,031
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martianpc View Post
I do not think we buy options and luxury over the actual car. If that was the case I would buy a Lexus or Cadillac. I think we have advanced with modern technology to the point that the balance and integration with the driving and mobility functions is more interconnected. We can by all means eliminate these new features and just have a drivers car; but if we are going to have these features though, why not consider the benefits of newer technology when it is available.
That's sounds, at first, like an adequate rationalization
However, the real integration of technology and automobiles has to do with computing and sensors, stability controls, traction control, smarter ABS, etc... These are real techno integrations with the automobile that are used to assist, and enhance driver control and driving experience.

iPod, USB, BT audio streaming, fancy idrive screens, etc... are not part of driving enhancement. They are technologies used to help sell the automotive product.
Are they needed? Not for driving. Not to mention they create even grater driver distraction, creating greater risk of accidents. But, people are expecting these things to be in there.

The point we are at with "entertainment" technology and automobiles is driven by consumers believing that they need those gadgets in order to commute to work, or go to the store to buy groceries. It's not a necessity until you've convinced yourself you can't live without it.

The question you posed is whether you should cancel an order due to 1 piece of technology that is not essential to driving.
My answer is based on that question.
No, I don't think cancelling the order makes sense. The current idrive is just fine.
Can you not get to work if the idrive doesn't have the fanciest screen or controls?

I understand some people want these things, and believe they HAVE to have these things. I'm not against your wants. You should get what you feel you must have, as you are the one paying for it.
But, you asked a question, and on a big forum like this, you'll get many types of responses.
RPM90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #39
JK479
Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW soon...
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New England

Posts: 568
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
That's sounds, at first, like an adequate rationalization
However, the real integration of technology and automobiles has to do with computing and sensors, stability controls, traction control, smarter ABS, etc... These are real techno integrations with the automobile that are used to assist, and enhance driver control and driving experience.

iPod, USB, BT audio streaming, fancy idrive screens, etc... are not part of driving enhancement. They are technologies used to help sell the automotive product.
Are they needed? Not for driving. Not to mention they create even grater driver distraction, creating greater risk of accidents. But, people are expecting these things to be in there.

The point we are at with "entertainment" technology and automobiles is driven by consumers believing that they need those gadgets in order to commute to work, or go to the store to buy groceries. It's not a necessity until you've convinced yourself you can't live without it.

The question you posed is whether you should cancel an order due to 1 piece of technology that is not essential to driving.
My answer is based on that question.
No, I don't think cancelling the order makes sense. The current idrive is just fine.
Can you not get to work if the idrive doesn't have the fanciest screen or controls?

I understand some people want these things, and believe they HAVE to have these things. I'm not against your wants. You should get what you feel you must have, as you are the one paying for it.
But, you asked a question, and on a big forum like this, you'll get many types of responses.
One of the best responses I have read... bravo to RPM... its rational, and thoughful. And makes a great case for sticking with the order...
JK479 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #40
rjc32000
First Lieutenant
 
rjc32000's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M Sport X Drive
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Alaska

Posts: 306
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post

Can you not get to work if the idrive doesn't have the fanciest screen or controls?
Sure, but you can also get to work in a vehicle without a stereo, or a heater/AC, or adjustable seats with memory settings. It is called a motorcycle. If driving performance is the only criteria, this is the obvious choice.

But if you want a vehicle that combines performance with comfort, will get you to work in style, and have the latest technologies (both for your comfort, future-proofing, and resale value), there is no shame wanting a car with the most advanced features. This is a luxury class vehicle after all, not a stripped down track car.
rjc32000 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #41
TonyS
Lieutenant
 
Drives: F30 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: West Sussex, UK

Posts: 546
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc32000 View Post
...performance...comfort...style
And how does having the latest iDrive improve any of those three things?
TonyS is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      07-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #42
F30Driver
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 330D M-Sport RWD
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 35
iTrader: (0)

Personally... I'd take what I ordered. If I was happy with it when I put deposit down then I'll still be happy taking delivery ofDIY brand new BMW!

Why you would waste your own and the dealers time for a slightly improved screen and iDrive is beyond me. I have the basic iDrive and there is nothing to be upset about.

Sure... Bigger screen and a little more functional... But how much are you honestly going to use it?

As I said... I'd much rather be happy with what I bought in the first place... But if it's going to bug you to no end then cancel and start again
F30Driver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST