F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Switch to Non-Run Flats?
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-05-2018, 11:56 PM   #1
JLBMW
New Member
0
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 2015 428ix GC
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Switch to Non-Run Flats?

Just bought a new (for me) 2015 428ix GC with 36,000 miles on it. Really liking it, but, not liking the run-flats. Not my first BMW, but, first with RFTs. The right rear has a bubble and not holding air so looks like I'll be replacing all 4. Currently have the OEM ContiSport RFT 225/45R18 all around. Looking at buying the ContiExtreme Contact DWS06. Would really like a quieter, more comfortable tire.

1) What do you think about going with Non-Run Flats, and the DWS06?
2) If running Non-Run Flats, is anyone carrying a "space-saving" spare or just some "fix-a-flat"?

Any advice and opinions would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 12:21 AM   #2
alohasurftoad
Major
United_States
383
Rep
1,151
Posts

Drives: 428i gran coupe
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: hawaii

iTrader: (0)

Way better with go flats.

I made my own kit with a scissors jack, breaker bar w/17mm socket, tire plug kit, flashing led puck, and a 12v portable air compressor.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 04:20 PM   #3
MacklinUSOB
Second Lieutenant
United_States
97
Rep
249
Posts

Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBMW View Post
Just bought a new (for me) 2015 428ix GC with 36,000 miles on it. Really liking it, but, not liking the run-flats. Not my first BMW, but, first with RFTs. The right rear has a bubble and not holding air so looks like I'll be replacing all 4. Currently have the OEM ContiSport RFT 225/45R18 all around. Looking at buying the ContiExtreme Contact DWS06. Would really like a quieter, more comfortable tire.

1) What do you think about going with Non-Run Flats, and the DWS06?
2) If running Non-Run Flats, is anyone carrying a "space-saving" spare or just some "fix-a-flat"?

Any advice and opinions would be appreciated.
Dumping the RFT's was the single best thing I have done to the car, easily. I have a fix-a-flat kit and portable compressor if I get in a jam.

Popular choices around here are those DWS06, Michelin PS4S, or Michelin A/S 3+. None of these will disappoint, plenty to read on each of them on this forum as well.
__________________
Add 5 horsepower for every M logo

328i sDrive | Sportline | Coral Red on MW | 6MT | JB+ | KW V2 | APEX SM-10 | Michelin PS4S | EBC RedStuff | RBF600 |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2018, 06:35 PM   #4
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
floydarogers's Avatar
United_States
405
Rep
3,081
Posts

Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bellevue, WA

iTrader: (0)

36K miles, probably the tires are worn beyond where replacing one is an option.

RFT's are just as patchable as go-flats, btw. The dealers generally won't do it, though.

There are scads of discussions on the pros/cons here, and on e90post. Search and read up, as Macklin (sort of) suggested.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 07:18 PM   #5
BMWApp
Private
11
Rep
54
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 320i
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

I ditched the RFTs on my F30 a couple months ago for Michelin A/S 3+ and love them. The car rides so much better and is a lot quieter. Not to mention the go-flats were about $400-$500 cheaper for a set. I also got a tire mobility kit just in case. I read a lot of other posters saying the same thing before I made the switch and have to say they were right IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 07:47 PM   #6
insanecoder
Colonel
1149
Rep
2,784
Posts

Drives: 340isDrive
Join Date: May 2016
Location: East Coast USA

iTrader: (0)

I guess I am the only one who likes these RFTs
I like harsh rides.. comes from owning sports cars previously
and the RFTs with stiff sidewalls gives me just that
the RFTS give excellent control & feel of the road when cornering
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 10:44 PM   #7
Valen7
New Member
Valen7's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 14 328i xdrive
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Swapped Conti DWS06 and did a Coast-to-Coast and to Toronto with no problem. Yes I have a tire repair kit in the trunk (Slime with a inflator) and I haven't use it for once.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 02:55 PM   #8
arvi604
Private
18
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: F30 328xi SPORT
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Vancouver BC

iTrader: (0)

Get rid of the RFTs and donít look back. Personally I went with the Pilot Sport AS 3+ís and couldnít be happier.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 03:08 PM   #9
F30inthe6ix
First Lieutenant
F30inthe6ix's Avatar
Canada
89
Rep
352
Posts

Drives: 2012 F30 BMW 328i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
Dumping the RFT's was the single best thing I have done to the car, easily. I have a fix-a-flat kit and portable compressor if I get in a jam.

Popular choices around here are those DWS06, Michelin PS4S, or Michelin A/S 3+. None of these will disappoint, plenty to read on each of them on this forum as well.
Agreed. Just swapped my RFT to non-RFT Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires and so far they are incredible. So much better grip and feedback than the RFT P7s from factory ever had.
__________________
2012 F30 BMW 328i 6MT - Alpine White on Red - Harmon Kardon Sound - Premium Package - Executive Package - BMW Apps Package - Sport Package
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 01:03 AM   #10
LRW70
Private
LRW70's Avatar
United_States
29
Rep
86
Posts

Drives: 2016 F30 340i
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Valley of the Sun

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
The best choice I ever made my DSW06's are awesome. The ride is so much better, I drove my wife's 328 she still has rfts its like night & day. Ditch them!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 07:56 AM   #11
JLBMW
New Member
0
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 2015 428ix GC
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Thanx for all the good input and advice. The RFTs will be gone shortly!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 08:19 AM   #12
KC Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
17
Rep
244
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i xdrive
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: KC

iTrader: (0)

Another vote for DWS06. 15,000 miles in and won't go back!
__________________
2013 335i xdrive BSM Sportline: FBO (ER FMIC, catless DP, CP, TIC, AFE dry filter, JB4 Map 2 or 5), Dinan springs, Doss Wheels (19x8.5), DWSO6 255/35/19, M4 Style Rear Spoiler, M Grille, Painted Whiskers/Front Reflectors

Previous: 2006 330i (stock), sold at 152k miles after 10.5 years
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 07:17 PM   #13
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
102
Rep
624
Posts

Drives: 2015 F32 435i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I'll be getting Michelin PS4S soon for the summer. AAA is my backup plan, and also got a cheap Slime repair kit for extra security since it was pretty cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0732F1YZX/
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 11:34 PM   #14
rjdnyy224
Lieutenant
rjdnyy224's Avatar
United_States
159
Rep
584
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i xDrive
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

definitely get rid of the run flats, honestly a night and day difference. tires are the single best "mod" you can do for handling. just keep the necessary tools for fixing a flat on the go in your car. I run Michelin PSS tires and highly recommend them. I don't keep a spare, but I have a compressor and tire plug kit necessary tools etc. in the trunk.
__________________
2013 328i xDrive | Bootmod3 Stage 1 OTS 93oct | M Performance Exhaust | K&N Drop-in | Dinan 20" Wheels Wearing Michelin PSS | F80 Style Decklid Spoiler | F80 Style Grille |
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 11:42 PM   #15
ocN55
Major
ocN55's Avatar
United_States
446
Rep
1,414
Posts

Drives: '15 M235i 6MT/ '16 M3
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: USC, Fight On!

iTrader: (18)

thoughts on budget tires like Firehawk Indy 500s (good reviews) over the summer rft?
__________________
FBO M235i r
F80 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 09:04 AM   #16
oceanview
Lieutenant
oceanview's Avatar
Switzerland
137
Rep
506
Posts

Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocN55 View Post
thoughts on budget tires like Firehawk Indy 500s (good reviews) over the summer rft?
Driver reviews are more or less worhtless.
Mostly the well known brands are balanced and good in any condition (dry/wet), but the budget tires show weakness in either.

So I would try to find a test review in a car mag where they show pros. and cons. of the different tires.

Just to give you an idea. German "Sport Auto" tested the Michelin PS4S, Conti SportContact 6 among with some lower priced tires.
The Nangkang NS-20 (cheapest tire in the test) had the best results in wet handling, but leaked in wet braking distance and in all dry conditions compared to the rest.

Wet-Handling: Avarage Speed in km/h on a circuit of 2300 meters distance:
1. Nankang 80,4
2. Falken 77,4
3. Hankook 77,1
4. Continental 76,0
5. Toyo Sport 74,8
6. Michelin Pilot Sport 74,0

Wet-Braking Distance in meters from 80km/h to standstill:
1. Falken 29,1
2. Hankook 30,2
3. Michelin Pilot Sport 31,0
4. Toyo Sport 32,0
5. Continental 32,5
6. Nankang 35,5

Dry-Handling: Avarage Speed in km/h on a circuit of 2770 meters distance:
1. Michelin Pilot Sport 134,6
2. Continental 133,9
3. Hankook 133,0
4. Falken 131,7
5. Toyo Sport 131,5
6. Nankang 128,9

Dry-Braking Distance in meters from 100km/h to standstill:
1. Michelin Pilot Sport 33,5
2. Continental 34,0
3. Falken 34,7
4. Hankook 34,9
5. Toyo Sport 36,6
6. Nankang 37,4

So would a low budget tire of your choice would be a good option for you? Hard to tell without a comparable test.

Testcar: BMW M2
Tire size: 245/35 19" front / 265/35 19" rear
__________________
335i F31 RWD in SB | Active Autowerke Flash Tune | 18" M-Perf Brake orange | 20" 405M | Quaife LSD | Cyba 3.5" Carbon tips | Rear M-Diffusor | Wiechers Strut Bar | To come: AA Downpipe, AA FMIC, GFB DV+
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 10:59 AM   #17
IndotagSwizz
Major
IndotagSwizz's Avatar
325
Rep
1,069
Posts

Drives: F30 320i
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanview View Post
Driver reviews are more or less worhtless.
Mostly the well known brands are balanced and good in any condition (dry/wet), but the budget tires show weakness in either.

So I would try to find a test review in a car mag where they show pros. and cons. of the different tires.

Just to give you an idea. German "Sport Auto" tested the Michelin PS4S, Conti SportContact 6 among with some lower priced tires.
The Nangkang NS-20 (cheapest tire in the test) had the best results in wet handling, but leaked in wet braking distance and in all dry conditions compared to the rest.

Wet-Handling: Avarage Speed in km/h on a circuit of 2300 meters distance:
1. Nankang 80,4
2. Falken 77,4
3. Hankook 77,1
4. Continental 76,0
5. Toyo Sport 74,8
6. Michelin Pilot Sport 74,0

Wet-Braking Distance in meters from 80km/h to standstill:
1. Falken 29,1
2. Hankook 30,2
3. Michelin Pilot Sport 31,0
4. Toyo Sport 32,0
5. Continental 32,5
6. Nankang 35,5

Dry-Handling: Avarage Speed in km/h on a circuit of 2770 meters distance:
1. Michelin Pilot Sport 134,6
2. Continental 133,9
3. Hankook 133,0
4. Falken 131,7
5. Toyo Sport 131,5
6. Nankang 128,9

Dry-Braking Distance in meters from 100km/h to standstill:
1. Michelin Pilot Sport 33,5
2. Continental 34,0
3. Falken 34,7
4. Hankook 34,9
5. Toyo Sport 36,6
6. Nankang 37,4

So would a low budget tire of your choice would be a good option for you? Hard to tell without a comparable test.

Testcar: BMW M2
Tire size: 245/35 19" front / 265/35 19" rear
where are the MPS4S's in this test??? I just switched from AS3 to PS4S's and even tho the AS3's are already a great tire...holy sh#t the PS4S's are unbelievable!! The wet traction is insane, the second you get behind the wheel the car feels very well connected to the road and takes any turn to a whole different level
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 11:17 AM   #18
JLBMW
New Member
0
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 2015 428ix GC
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Went with the ContiExtreme DWS06...very happy in my first 500 miles, dry and wet conditions. Put an air compressor, fix-a-flat, and tire repair kit in the car ;-) ...and I have AAA!!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 01:23 AM   #19
Sea-Tac
Lieutenant
Sea-Tac's Avatar
United_States
252
Rep
434
Posts

Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Mercer Island, Wa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBMW View Post
Just bought a new (for me) 2015 428ix GC with 36,000 miles on it. Really liking it, but, not liking the run-flats. Not my first BMW, but, first with RFTs. The right rear has a bubble and not holding air so looks like I'll be replacing all 4. Currently have the OEM ContiSport RFT 225/45R18 all around. Looking at buying the ContiExtreme Contact DWS06. Would really like a quieter, more comfortable tire.

1) What do you think about going with Non-Run Flats, and the DWS06?
2) If running Non-Run Flats, is anyone carrying a "space-saving" spare or just some "fix-a-flat"?

Any advice and opinions would be appreciated.
I hate run flats. That said my F30 is still low mileage so I'm biting the bullet till I need new rubber. When I do I going with go flats. I do carry a spare on long trips. Takes up a bunch of trunk space but run flats do go flat. There are no guarantees that they won't.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 08:49 PM   #20
youngdoc1
Private
9
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: 2016 340i X-Drive
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWApp View Post
I ditched the RFTs on my F30 a couple months ago for Michelin A/S 3+ and love them. The car rides so much better and is a lot quieter. Not to mention the go-flats were about $400-$500 cheaper for a set. I also got a tire mobility kit just in case. I read a lot of other posters saying the same thing before I made the switch and have to say they were right IMO.
+1
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:20 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST