F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F30 M Performance Brakes
GetBMWParts

10-10-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
N3M35IS
Team Nemesis
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 335i

F30 M Performance Brakes

So i installed M-Performance Brakes yesterday and i noticed the rotors are not directional. Fronts are cut exactly same and also the rear. ill try to post pictures later today but if you look at them the slotted/grooved pattern is going clockwise on one side of the car and counter clockwise on the other side. Ive made sure this was right with the parts department and they said it is because its the only part number available. i looked at pictures of f30 with m performance brakes and noticed they are all like that. i don't understand how this works. anyone have explanation?
      10-12-2014, 03:10 AM   #2
Presario
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Directional rotors have to do with the internal vane direction. Outside slot direction doesn't matter since all it's doing is shaving a layer off the brake pads. So the direction of the slots are purely cosmetic. Since the M Perf rotors have straight internal vanes, they are able to make one part number for both sides, which means the slot direction will be reversed on the other side of the car. Supposed to be that way.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 04:23 AM   #3
Jera_Jakerz
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Drives: 2014 BMW 335i xDrive Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3M35IS
So i installed M-Performance Brakes yesterday and i noticed the rotors are not directional. Fronts are cut exactly same and also the rear. ill try to post pictures later today but if you look at them the slotted/grooved pattern is going clockwise on one side of the car and counter clockwise on the other side. Ive made sure this was right with the parts department and they said it is because its the only part number available. i looked at pictures of f30 with m performance brakes and noticed they are all like that. i don't understand how this works. anyone have explanation?
Out of curiosity did you upgrade to m-performance brakes or just replaced them?

I need to upgrade my brakes but don't know where to start.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
Dippydo
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2012 BMW F30

Garage List
2012 BMW  [0.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presario View Post
Directional rotors have to do with the internal vane direction. Outside slot direction doesn't matter since all it's doing is shaving a layer off the brake pads. So the direction of the slots are purely cosmetic. Since the M Perf rotors have straight internal vanes, they are able to make one part number for both sides, which means the slot direction will be reversed on the other side of the car. Supposed to be that way.

Well that is just horrible thing to do for people with OCD...lol
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
N3M35IS
Team Nemesis
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jera_Jakerz View Post
Out of curiosity did you upgrade to m-performance brakes or just replaced them?

I need to upgrade my brakes but don't know where to start.
Upgraded to M-Performance brakes
      10-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #6
Presario
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
Well that is just horrible thing to do for people with OCD...lol
Very true!!! Haha!
Appreciate 0