F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > with so many H&R spings for sale..
Extreme Power House

08-07-2014, 12:28 PM   #1
209BMW

Drives: 2013 BMW 328i X-Drive

with so many H&R spings for sale..

With so many H&R spring for sale I'm thinking it wasn't just me that was unhappy with the ride. I had mine on my car for only 2 weeks before I swapped them back out in favor of the oem spring. I resold and warned the buyer not to do it, but like me he didn't want to hear it. wonder if H&R did any r&d on these before releasing them.
      08-07-2014, 12:36 PM   #2
Philipangoo
First Lieutenant

Drives: F30 335

I have no complaints about the ride.... But any modder knows, if you want the car to feel good you also have to change your shocks to compliment a more aggressive lower riding spring. My main problem, is I still have massive wheel gap in the rear with the sports lol.
      08-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #3
Dippydo
Captain

Drives: 2012 BMW F30

Garage List
2012 BMW  [0.50]
I know tons of people happy with them. Considering the number of people that have them vs what is being sold I would say the ones selling are less than .0001% of whats on the road.

Like Phillip said, it is best to swap out shocks as well. But then if you are going that route I would suggest looking at coil overs so you can have more options on height and ride type.. It is also known that H&R sides on the stiffer ride side than the comfort side.
      08-07-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
209BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipangoo View Post
I have no complaints about the ride.... But any modder knows, if you want the car to feel good you also have to change your shocks to compliment a more aggressive lower riding spring. My main problem, is I still have massive wheel gap in the rear with the sports lol.
Really??? I couldn't hit a bump out feeling like the car was going to break. My Integra with Eibach springs felt better. Dam I miss my Integra.
      08-07-2014, 01:34 PM   #5
Fanitron
Private

Drives: 2014 328i xDrive Sport Line

Garage List
Actually what I'm seeing is that a lot of the people went with H&R's as a stop-gap measure before Coilovers were available. If you're riding on DHP suspension, a simple spring swap is probably best anyway since the dampers are adjustable/adaptive.

Just picked up a set of H&R sports and will be installing them sometime this week/next week.
Fanitron is offline   Canada
      08-07-2014, 01:35 PM   #6
Don N.
Lieutenant

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanitron View Post
Actually what I'm seeing is that a lot of the people went with H&R's as a stop-gap measure before Coilovers were available. If you're riding on DHP suspension, a simple spring swap is probably best anyway since the dampers are adjustable/adaptive.

Just picked up a set of H&R sports and will be installing them sometime this week/next week.
I agree.

That's also why I would just wait until coils came out, so you would only have to do it once, haha.
      08-07-2014, 02:16 PM   #7
209BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipangoo View Post
I tried, bilstein doesn't make xdrive shocks yet. What else is there?
      08-07-2014, 02:59 PM   #8
DrivenByE30
Colonel

Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanitron View Post

Let us know
DrivenByE30 is offline   France
      08-07-2014, 03:51 PM   #9
Dippydo
Captain

Garage List
2012 BMW  [0.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 209BMW View Post
Really??? I couldn't hit a bump out feeling like the car was going to break. My Integra with Eibach springs felt better. Dam I miss my Integra.

Why would you buy an awd car in the Bahamas?? Just read what you drive. I never understood why people buy awd cars and then want to lower them. Anyhow BC racing makes coil overs for the x drive and KW said they are available as well. You have to order them and will take a few weeks because the market demand to lower an awd bmw is still too low to stock warehouses. lol.
      08-07-2014, 04:09 PM   #10
Fanitron
Private

Drives: 2014 328i xDrive Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
Let us know
Fanitron is offline   Canada
      08-07-2014, 10:00 PM   #11
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Quote:
With so many H&R spring for sale I'm thinking it wasn't just me that was unhappy with the ride. I had mine on my car for only 2 weeks before I swapped them back out in favor of the oem spring. I resold and warned the buyer not to do it, but like me he didn't want to hear it. wonder if H&R did any r&d on these before releasing them.
If they were anything like the E9x kits, the progressive rates and the amount of lowering took most if not all the compression travel out of the suspension. Without modifying or using a shorter bump stop the vehicle is nearly riding on the bump stops all the time. In addition, some were experiencing sagging with the springs, especially with the rear.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
      08-10-2014, 09:07 AM   #12
txex0503

Drives: 14 335 f30 xDrive

Garage List
Based on the recommended first mod of Turner Motorsports on their F30 project car, I just installed a set of H&R sport springs on my F30 xdrive. Now it corners well but the stock struts are not stiff enough so there is bounce in dips and crash over road imperfections. Bilstein B8s would probably address these issues but it doesn't look like they're available yet. My advice is don't install H&Rs without upgrading shocks.
txex0503 is offline   United_States
      08-10-2014, 09:56 AM   #13
209BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
Why would you buy an awd car in the Bahamas?? Just read what you drive. I never understood why people buy awd cars and then want to lower them. Anyhow BC racing makes coil overs for the x drive and KW said they are available as well. You have to order them and will take a few weeks because the market demand to lower an awd bmw is still too low to stock warehouses. lol.
Bahamas???? Wrong Island.
      08-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #14
munch520
First Lieutenant

Drives: '14 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by txex0503 View Post
Based on the recommended first mod of Turner Motorsports on their F30 project car, I just installed a set of H&R sport springs on my F30 xdrive. Now it corners well but the stock struts are not stiff enough so there is bounce in dips and crash over road imperfections. Bilstein B8s would probably address these issues but it doesn't look like they're available yet. My advice is don't install H&Rs without upgrading shocks.
Yeah this seems like common sense to me. Stock struts/shocks simply aren't designed for what happens with a spring change. Best case, I would think struts/shocks would wear out much faster.
      08-11-2014, 10:11 AM   #15
txex0503

Garage List
Yes, but Dinan's set up keeps OE shocks with 3/4" drop instead of 1.5" with H&R. They worked with BMW and this geometry was acceptable.
      08-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #16
jcmf75
First Lieutenant

Drives: '12 911S, '12 X5d, '13 Tacoma

Quote:
Bahamas, Long Island. Tomato, tomatoe, it's all the same At least he knew you were on an island.
      08-11-2014, 01:55 PM   #17
Dippydo
Captain

Garage List
2012 BMW  [0.50]
Quote:
You have in your profile Nassau which is the capital island in the Bahamas. Since you only list Nassau and not a state then one would assume you mean Bahamas.

Last edited by Dippydo; 08-11-2014 at 02:02 PM.
      08-11-2014, 04:12 PM   #18
HP Autosport

Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Quote:
Originally Posted by txex0503 View Post
Yes, but Dinan's set up keeps OE shocks with 3/4" drop instead of 1.5" with H&R. They worked with BMW and this geometry was acceptable.
The drop must be minimum to retain some compression travel. Dinan and Swift(release later this year) both are doing it right in my opinion. Lower is not always better.

If anyone ever gets a chance to look at how much compression travel these cars have, you will see why dropping 1.5" isn't a good idea with the stock struts and shocks. Coilovers will have short body struts and shocks to give more travel.
      08-11-2014, 04:47 PM   #19
Dippydo
Captain

Garage List
2012 BMW  [0.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
The drop must be minimum to retain some compression travel. Dinan and Swift(release later this year) both are doing it right in my opinion. Lower is not always better.

If anyone ever gets a chance to look at how much compression travel these cars have, you will see why dropping 1.5" isn't a good idea with the stock struts and shocks. Coilovers will have short body struts and shocks to give more travel.
Correct. Lowering 1+ inches on stock struts is not ideal, but what a lot of people don't do is cut their bump stops to allow more travel before hitting them on the lower drops. Most shops won't do this without asking and if the shocks are soft like the Xdrive they will hit the bump stops giving it a much harsher ride. If the car is lowered 1.5", then cutting the bump stops by .5 to .75" will most likely prevent hitting them. The downside will be more pressure in the chamber and wearing out the stock struts faster. How much faster? It can be a year or 3. I am not certain on BMW designs, but on any import I have done the last 25 years, it was not uncommon for the factory struts to last up to 5 years in many cases.

But I would always suggest coils or shortened struts and not just springs. If you do springs, you have to cut down the bump stops as well.
      08-11-2014, 06:15 PM   #20
txex0503

Garage List
Quote:

Good info. I wish I learned this before installing the springs. It's surprising that a company like H&R is promoting their lowering springs for the xDrive when they are not a correct mod for the car. Also, Turner Motorsports is selling them to uneducated buyers!
      08-11-2014, 07:05 PM   #21
munch520
First Lieutenant

Drives: '14 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by txex0503
Quote:

Good info. I wish I learned this before installing the springs. It's surprising that a company like H&R is promoting their lowering springs for the xDrive when they are not a correct mod for the car. Also, Turner Motorsports is selling them to uneducated buyers!
They'll sell em if people buy em. For $400 I can see the allure compared to $1-2k coil/cup kit systems.

Wish I had kept the data on my TT, but I adjusted the coils on that all over the place. With my staggered wheels I really wanted a flush look. But what I found was that while the appearance that low was sweet, it handled like shit. So up it went.

Agree that lower isn't always better, unless low is all you care about.
      08-11-2014, 10:29 PM   #22
HP Autosport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
Correct. Lowering 1+ inches on stock struts is not ideal, but what a lot of people don't do is cut their bump stops to allow more travel before hitting them on the lower drops. Most shops won't do this without asking and if the shocks are soft like the Xdrive they will hit the bump stops giving it a much harsher ride. If the car is lowered 1.5", then cutting the bump stops by .5 to .75" will most likely prevent hitting them. The downside will be more pressure in the chamber and wearing out the stock struts faster. How much faster? It can be a year or 3. I am not certain on BMW designs, but on any import I have done the last 25 years, it was not uncommon for the factory struts to last up to 5 years in many cases.

But I would always suggest coils or shortened struts and not just springs. If you do springs, you have to cut down the bump stops as well.
Some of the Dinan kits will come with shorter OEM bump stops(usually from another BMW model). BMW bump stops are typically progressive and soft, it's meant to be a secondary spring(up the spring rate during aggressive driving), but if you are riding or just millimeters away from them, they can't function properly.