F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires > "Special" Rims needed to run Run FLat Tires???
European Auto Source

08-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
martinf79
Captain

Drives: F30 335i M Sport

"Special" Rims needed to run Run FLat Tires???

Question -

I'm considering using my M Sport stock 19 rims for winter setup (staggered)... and getting a new set of 19s for summer. Is there any concern about switching the summer rubber (run flats on my stock rims) to the new 19s (assuming rubber will fit rim size, which I have checked). Is there anything unique to the factory rims that may cause issues on the new 19s???

2013 335i ///M-Sport | MPPK ON ORDER | AW | BD Leather | 19 M3 ZCP Wheels | M-Sport Brakes | Adaptive M-Suspension | Variable Sport Steering | Premium Package | Enhanced Bluetooth | Sirius | BMW Apps | Heads Up Display | Speed Limit Info | M Performance Grill | Front/Rear Painted Reflectors | Coded
      08-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.

Drives: AW F30 328i & IB E85 Z4M

Send a message via AIM to tiltmode43
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinf79 View Post
Question -

I'm considering using my M Sport stock 19 rims for winter setup (staggered)... and getting a new set of 19s for summer. Is there any concern about switching the summer rubber (run flats on my stock rims) to the new 19s (assuming rubber will fit rim size, which I have checked). Is there anything unique to the factory rims that may cause issues on the new 19s???
As long as the shop you are having the work performed at is experienced with low profile tires, you will not have any issues. The primary difference between a runflat is a significantly reinforced sidewall. A thicker sidewall will allow a wheel to run on a flat tire for a longer time without causing significant damage to the wheel itself.

@violetnites
tiltmode43 is offline   United_States
      08-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
scott@bmwhn
Major

Drives: Msport 328i

The only time I've seen issues running runflat tires is with cheaper lightweight cast wheels. The reinforced sidewall of a runflat will absorb less impact, thus transferring that impact to the wheel itself making it more susceptible to bends.

-Scott

Previous: 09' Msport 335i, 07' Msport 335i

Last edited by scott@bmwhn; 08-22-2012 at 05:27 PM.