F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > My second round of mods (LED front blinkers, 3m wrapped black roof, M trunk spoiler)
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
v1k1ng01
Likes Cake!
v1k1ng01's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
235
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i m-sport
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mainz, Gemany

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
My second round of mods (LED front blinkers, 3m wrapped black roof, M trunk spoiler)

Hey Folks,

This is my socend thread on this form, and it's a continuation of my first thread.

This past weekend I finished my first complete Clay, Polish and Wax since I picked-up my 335i from the Welt and wanted to showcase my work! All my stuff is from Griot's Garage, and the results are stunning. Griot's body and glass clay really cleans out road shyte nicely.




My first real mod since my first post were front LED Amber Turn Signal's. I used CANBUS 20 SMD LED's with built-in resistors from ExtremeBrightLED's.com for $50. The bulb cause no error's and do not hyper flash. The only issue I have noticed is an ever so slight flicker when the DTL's are running. It happens at a frequency of about once a minuet, and it's caused by a self check diagnostic function that can be coded out. I found out this also effects my rear LED turn signals but is pretty much unnoticeable during daylight unless your looking directly at it when it happens. The flicker doesn't occur when lights are set to parking or lowbeams unless you have the amber running lights coded out. The Part number you need is 7507 PY21W. I also tried similar bulbs that were 50 SMD from gtautohaus , but despite costing an extra $10, and having more then twice as many diod's as Extreme's, GT's where way dimmer and of poorer quality. Basically diod's were a 3rd the size and they were not visible in bright daylight, and dimmed to a pastel color if ran with lowbeams. Just goes to show you that the number of diod's don't mean anything when it comes to LED's. You can't contact Extreme if you ordered from them over eBay, so if you you want to contact the seller to make sure you go to their web page. Here are some pic's of Extreme's LED turn signals installed.










My next mod was a 3M wrapped gloss black roof. I picked-up 6ft X 5ft (30sq/ft) for $50 off amazon.com which didn't leave me much left over, and got and extra set of hands to help me put the wrap on. The job took 7 hours of work and cost me an additional order of Chinese food and case of beer. A special thanks to Sharper on M3post for the helping hands! The job came out good but you can see when you get up close the imperfections in the vinyl typically observed with applying 3M wrap. That said I recommend if you do 3M you pay a pro to do it for you unless you are a pro. That said I have already decided that I will eventually get a paint job done on the roof as the wrap just doesn't give the perfect glossy appearance I'm looking for. Here are pic's of the wrap job:





My final mod (for now) was an M Performance style trunk spoiler. I contemplated on getting the legit bmw part painted to match from getbmwparts.com for $390 plus shipping however, I read this thread from a member here on F30post that had a really good experience with the eBay replica painted to match for $89 total. I ended up buying from carbon.king which sells from Taiwan. They requested the color code to paint via e-mail, and shipped the part promptly following my e-mail. I'm at an APO in Germany and I got the part in one week form initial order, which mean's it would deliver to regular US addresses in under a week or less. It came super awesomely packed, painted and clear coated to the color I requested (Jet Black). The part also came with 3m double sided tape and adhesive accelerator with instructions included. Here are pics:







Well hope you have enjoyed my post, my next mod is the rest of an M Performance Aero kit and BIMMERPOST stickers. Hope to post again soon!

v1k1ng01,

Last edited by v1k1ng01; 08-25-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
carzaddict
Major
59
Rep
1,375
Posts

Drives: M-Sport 328i X-drive
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Brooklyn

iTrader: (0)

nice write up.

can you post a link to the exact LEDs you purchased? I am planning on doing the same mod
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
kyang1225
Private First Class
1
Rep
107
Posts

Drives: ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Taiwan

iTrader: (0)

Looks nice man!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 02:45 AM   #4
Flakmunky
Amateur Brain Surgeon
United Kingdom
2
Rep
171
Posts

Drives: BMW f31
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Nice, but wrap the roof rails as well... It will look 100000 x better!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 03:19 AM   #5
v1k1ng01
Likes Cake!
v1k1ng01's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
235
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i m-sport
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mainz, Gemany

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by carzaddict View Post
nice write up.

can you post a link to the exact LEDs you purchased? I am planning on doing the same mod
These are the bulbs I used. I bought it off their ebay account for $50 but their webpage lists for $59.99
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 03:21 AM   #6
v1k1ng01
Likes Cake!
v1k1ng01's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
235
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i m-sport
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mainz, Gemany

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakmunky View Post
Nice, but wrap the roof rails as well... It will look 100000 x better!
I decided not to do the rails because I'm eventually just going to paint. The wrap looks good but you can really see the imperfections in the gloss when you get upclose. With that said I'll be replacing the rails and the fin for ones that are painted Jetblack.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 07:49 AM   #7
GOLFFRR
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
GOLFFRR's Avatar
1234
Rep
19,767
Posts


Drives: Golf Cart
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Solvang, CA/Camarillo, CA

iTrader: (4)

looks fantastic. subtle mods always make a large impact when done right. nice car
__________________

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, PM ME FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
David Aviles: bmwdavid@icloud.com - Cell:202-262-2900
If you have any issues getting a hold of David PLEASE PM me, I'm available everyday till 645pm!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 02:50 AM   #8
steveMizdaman
Second Lieutenant
steveMizdaman's Avatar
8
Rep
282
Posts

Drives: 2013 335ix M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

wow really nice...loved the LEDs and the roof wrap. Are you satisfied with the 3M wrap? Was installing it a pain?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
v1k1ng01
Likes Cake!
v1k1ng01's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
235
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i m-sport
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mainz, Gemany

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveMizdaman View Post
wow really nice...loved the LEDs and the roof wrap. Are you satisfied with the 3M wrap? Was installing it a pain?
In all honestly I wouldn't do the 3M wrap job again. The problem is that no matter how well you put it on the car there are noticeable imperfections in it once you get up close to the car. This is particularly noticeable with Gloss wrap which is what I used. It's also a lot of work to do you self, not easy to do, and very easy to mess up. It took me and a friend 7 hours to get it on there and it has a lot of little imperfections.

Also the Antenna Fin is a real pain in the anis because it put on with polyurethane glue. You need to get in there with a razor and cut it to get it to come off and the residual stuff doesn't come off because it's well bonded to the car and fin. It only cost me $30 for the vinyl off Amazon though, but I will recommend that the work be done by pro's that know how to remove the fin.

Personally I'll be going back and having the roof painted, because nothing gives that perfect gloss like a good paint job. I would only recommend doing 3M if you plan the sell the car and want the option the return the car to the stock color, and I would strongly recommend paying a pro to do the work.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #10
steveMizdaman
Second Lieutenant
steveMizdaman's Avatar
8
Rep
282
Posts

Drives: 2013 335ix M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k1ng01 View Post
In all honestly I wouldn't do the 3M wrap job again. The problem is that no matter how well you put it on the car there are noticeable imperfections in it once you get up close to the car. This is particularly noticeable with Gloss wrap which is what I used. It's also a lot of work to do you self, not easy to do, and very easy to mess up. It took me and a friend 7 hours to get it on there and it has a lot of little imperfections.

Also the Antenna Fin is a real pain in the anis because it put on with polyurethane glue. You need to get in there with a razor and cut it to get it to come off and the residual stuff doesn't come off because it's well bonded to the car and fin. It only cost me $30 for the vinyl off Amazon though, but I will recommend that the work be done by pro's that know how to remove the fin.

Personally I'll be going back and having the roof painted, because nothing gives that perfect gloss like a good paint job. I would only recommend doing 3M if you plan the sell the car and want the option the return the car to the stock color, and I would strongly recommend paying a pro to do the work.
wow thanks for the info...that's a long time to put a giant sticker on a roof. It has to be done perfect otherwise it wont be even and wont look right. Took me 6 hrs to remove, clean and prep and paint all 4 wheels few weeks ago I also had help too.

that's the only good thing about that 3m wrap getting it cheap. I believe its around $150-$250 for install around here. I have a lot of extra plasti dip, been thinking of using it not sure on what though lol...might do my side skirts or front lip...roof would be too much to paint outdoors would have to cover entire car not up for that lol
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
Deacon
New Member
United_States
3
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sportline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina

iTrader: (0)

can you take a full onside pic of your car and maybe an angled pic from back
__________________
2012 Black Sapphire Metallic 328i Sportline | Technology | Premium | Heated Seats
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #12
v1k1ng01
Likes Cake!
v1k1ng01's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
235
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i m-sport
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mainz, Gemany

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
can you take a full onside pic of your car and maybe an angled pic from back
Per Your Request!



Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #13
v1k1ng01
Likes Cake!
v1k1ng01's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
235
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i m-sport
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mainz, Gemany

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveMizdaman View Post
wow thanks for the info...that's a long time to put a giant sticker on a roof. It has to be done perfect otherwise it wont be even and wont look right. Took me 6 hrs to remove, clean and prep and paint all 4 wheels few weeks ago I also had help too.

that's the only good thing about that 3m wrap getting it cheap. I believe its around $150-$250 for install around here. I have a lot of extra plasti dip, been thinking of using it not sure on what though lol...might do my side skirts or front lip...roof would be too much to paint outdoors would have to cover entire car not up for that lol
Here's a few pic's of what I was talking about with the little imperfections in the wrap.





Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #14
steveMizdaman
Second Lieutenant
steveMizdaman's Avatar
8
Rep
282
Posts

Drives: 2013 335ix M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k1ng01 View Post
Here's a few pic's of what I was talking about with the little imperfections in the wrap.





o yea that is def annoying. I would of flipped out and pulled it all off then ran into my basement and come out with the plasti dip paint and start just spraying the roof lol
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 11:01 PM   #15
Meeeotch
Second Lieutenant
Meeeotch's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
262
Posts

Drives: '14 F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Southern California

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k1ng01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
can you take a full onside pic of your car and maybe an angled pic from back
Per Your Request!



Im loving the roof wrap!
__________________
F30 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue / Coral Red / manual

E92 335i M-Sport Apline White / Coral Red / manual
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 03:34 AM   #16
grimm7302
New Member
0
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 2012 f30 sedan
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: germany

iTrader: (0)

even though there are some imperfections it still looks nice. great job all around i am going to just do the cf overlay for my roof along with a cf hood both front and rear spoilers not the BIG WINGS lol just like the one you have and the difuser
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:48 PM.




f30post
f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST