F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > SIB/TSB: BMW will reprogram Auto Start-Stop to default to last user mode
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #221
jas76
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

hi everybody,

my first post and BMW

I just took my car in last week and asked for the to do this. They had no problem with it. Had my car all day but when I had came back to pick it up the SA told me I lucked out. I was a little confused at first I asked how so?

Apparently as of August 1st 2013 BMW will no longer allow the dealers to reprogram this off by default. EPA got after BMW I was told.

I would be curious if others heard this or he is just blowing smoke up my rear lol

anyhow, loving my 328I

-J
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #222
valley_nomad
New Member
0
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: Nissan
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Silicon Valley

iTrader: (0)

Unless they can show some official document from BMW, it may be just one of their many "rules" for not doing ASS recoding
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #223
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
23
Rep
1,831
Posts

Drives: Too Many
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas76 View Post
hi everybody,

my first post and BMW

I just took my car in last week and asked for the to do this. They had no problem with it. Had my car all day but when I had came back to pick it up the SA told me I lucked out. I was a little confused at first I asked how so?

Apparently as of August 1st 2013 BMW will no longer allow the dealers to reprogram this off by default. EPA got after BMW I was told.

I would be curious if others heard this or he is just blowing smoke up my rear lol

anyhow, loving my 328I

-J


I believe this for certain. They registered the cars with the feature enabled. Then they issued a bulletin authorizing dealers to disable it. They probably shouldn't have issued a formal bulletin.

Pretty much all manufacturers have alternative calibrations available to address customer driveability complaints, but they don't go out of their way to spread the word about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 07:02 AM   #224
Frank_NJ
Senior Member
Frank_NJ's Avatar
12
Rep
631
Posts

Drives: 335i xDrive Sport
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NJ Shore

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Frank_NJ Send a message via MSN to Frank_NJ Send a message via Yahoo to Frank_NJ
With my 2014 it remembers last setting off and the car was not reprogrammed.
__________________
2015 F80 M3 Tanzanite Blue loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #225
dwalls90
Major
United_States
23
Rep
1,199
Posts

Drives: F30 M Sport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NJ View Post
With my 2014 it remembers last setting off and the car was not reprogrammed.
2014's have this standard from the factory.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 01:25 AM   #226
chuckles01
Private
2
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: 2014 328i Sport, 6M
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NJ View Post
With my 2014 it remembers last setting off and the car was not reprogrammed.
Wait really? So 2014s have this as a standard configuration? That's good then! I'm expecting my 2014 328i in about 3 weeks... if that's the case, then I won't have to try to "convince" the dealer to reprogram it, since it seemed like such a hassle in my previous two attempts to talk to them about it. I am surprised that the dealer doesn't know anything about this change for the 2014 models though. Can anyone else with a 2014 also confirm this change?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 03:24 AM   #227
JesseS
Private First Class
1
Rep
173
Posts

Drives: BMW 3/15 DA-2
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles01 View Post
Wait really? So 2014s have this as a standard configuration? That's good then! I'm expecting my 2014 328i in about 3 weeks... if that's the case, then I won't have to try to "convince" the dealer to reprogram it, since it seemed like such a hassle in my previous two attempts to talk to them about it. I am surprised that the dealer doesn't know anything about this change for the 2014 models though. Can anyone else with a 2014 also confirm this change?
I talked to a CA today who said they've quietly started doing it at the PDCs in the US, but they can't do it in the factory because some countries require it to default on for the designated eco certification that bmw wants/needs. They should know at the factory, of course, what country a particular build is destined for but I imagine things get swapped around a lot during production.

He also said there have been some 2014s that have shown up w/ ASS still set to 'default on', but it's been uncommon so far.

*shrug*

It still turns on in Eco Pro mode of course and doesn't automatically turn off if you switch to a different mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 05:40 AM   #228
Frank_NJ
Senior Member
Frank_NJ's Avatar
12
Rep
631
Posts

Drives: 335i xDrive Sport
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NJ Shore

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Frank_NJ Send a message via MSN to Frank_NJ Send a message via Yahoo to Frank_NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles01 View Post
Wait really? So 2014s have this as a standard configuration? That's good then! I'm expecting my 2014 328i in about 3 weeks... if that's the case, then I won't have to try to "convince" the dealer to reprogram it, since it seemed like such a hassle in my previous two attempts to talk to them about it. I am surprised that the dealer doesn't know anything about this change for the 2014 models though. Can anyone else with a 2014 also confirm this change?
My dealer told me this before even delivering the car so I was like....sure! But I tried ti and ti remembers last setting adn I keep it off. I was told part of key memory for the car now.
__________________
2015 F80 M3 Tanzanite Blue loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #229
Jason335iMsport
Captain
United_States
6
Rep
696
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i M Sport
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bel Air, MD

iTrader: (0)

The ASS feature is set to remember last setting on ALL MY14 from the factory
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 05:55 PM   #230
Damon44
Private First Class
Damon44's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
136
Posts

Drives: 2015 435i Imperial Blue
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: S Florida

iTrader: (0)

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post
I have absolutely no desire to allow my car to turn on and off on its own, so I am happy to see BMW now offer this option. I will certainly make sure to have this coded before taking delivery.
It is beyond annoying. It is a blatant intrusion into my personal life by eco crazy tree huggers.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 05:58 PM   #231
Yobyot
Lieutenant
Yobyot's Avatar
16
Rep
560
Posts

Drives: MY12 F30 ZSL
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon44 View Post
It is beyond annoying. It is a blatant intrusion into my personal life by eco crazy tree huggers.
I love ASS. It allows me to get >27mpg so that when I decide to unleash the N55 I don't feel guilty. With recent software updates, ASS is significantly smoother and when people are in the car and the system engages, it always gets a "Wow."

ASS is part of what makes the F30 such a cool car. I don't care what your politics are, ASS is great.
__________________
MY12 335i ZSL with a deep dive into the options list
Produced: 2012-06-22
ED: 2012-07-19; Arrived in Jersey City: 2012-08-23
Redelivered: 2012-09-12
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 07:49 PM   #232
Iscariote
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Northern California

iTrader: (0)

I don't like it, not about politics. I also worry about the effect of starting and stopping the engine all the time. Maybe not a big deal if you're leasing the car but I bought mine and plan to keep it longer than three years.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 09:30 PM   #233
joewalton
Captain
72
Rep
962
Posts

Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon44 View Post
It is beyond annoying. It is a blatant intrusion into my personal life by eco crazy tree huggers.
Agreed, but my new 2015 has ASS pre-coded for "remember last position" so it's not an issue any more. Let the tree huggers enjoy, it doesn't ruin your life.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 01:37 PM   #234
Musashi
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
I love ASS. It allows me to get >27mpg so that when I decide to unleash the N55 I don't feel guilty. With recent software updates, ASS is significantly smoother and when people are in the car and the system engages, it always gets a "Wow."

ASS is part of what makes the F30 such a cool car. I don't care what your politics are, ASS is great.

BMW as well as experts caution on the ASS as specifically as likely to prematurely wear out specific components, not the least ignition and a few other components. Outside warranty, a single such job would likely eliminate most if not all savings in mpg in a few years.

Another issue, and Transport Canada is now on a potential investigation on it, is real pure safety. Happened to me. Imagine coasting in slow traffic, and ENGINE SHUTS OFF. The ASS was ON that incident. In that case, I was unaware it was ON, view-blocked by the pad shifters. Besides, you get used to the light and one forgets it. So, I cruised to nearly a halt, than a halt, and it instantly turned my car off. Problem: although the car ahead had pulled off again, the one in my rear was NOT SLOWING DOWN AND I HAD JUST SHUT OFF ON A HIGHWAY. I lost 0.75-1.5 second prior to restarting and 1 more second before getting to safety. Had the car in the rear hit me it would have been their fault. However, my best driving skills could not change the fact that in the second the car stopped, I could not take evasive action in a 75k CAD car..

Second time it happened was in a parking lot. Similar scenario - and just about any time backing in parallel- stopping before turning, it cuts off the engine. Another car suddenly appeared and I was again 1-1.5 seconds without any reaction.. I was again lucky.

Could get worse on winter ice and slush if the wheels really slow down or reach zero traction. ASS will still turn your engine off.

TC told me, off the bat, that if the vehicle stops in situations not intended, when needing power, it may be 100% safety issue. This mechanism was meant to kick off and save emissions at a red light stop, not when dropping speed to 0 and restarting!!! Anyway, if this feature ever denied you acessing vehicle power, in a place NOT INTENDED TO STOP, then the best venue is formal notification of your federal Transportation body. That WILL get BMWs attention.

So 12000 kms and two unacceptable incidents. Am lucky as I never drive to work and not having experienced that more often as I rarely get stuck in traffic.

The ASS would work if 'Smart' to shut engine off after... 5 seconds say? But when you are decelerated temporarily, makes no sense.

Mine is deactivated, peace of mind. It only turns on if in Eco mode, but if you remmeber to turn it off, it will remmeber the last setting esp Comfort and Sports
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 01:46 PM   #235
smithf32
Colonel
smithf32's Avatar
United_States
258
Rep
2,418
Posts

Drives: '14 F32 428 MSport
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to smithf32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
BMW as well as experts caution on the ASS as specifically as likely to prematurely wear out specific components, not the least ignition and a few other components. Outside warranty, a single such job would likely eliminate most if not all savings in mpg in a few years.

Another issue, and Transport Canada is now on a potential investigation on it, is real pure safety. Happened to me. Imagine coasting in slow traffic, and ENGINE SHUTS OFF. The ASS was ON that incident. In that case, I was unaware it was ON, view-blocked by the pad shifters. Besides, you get used to the light and one forgets it. So, I cruised to nearly a halt, than a halt, and it instantly turned my car off. Problem: although the car ahead had pulled off again, the one in my rear was NOT SLOWING DOWN AND I HAD JUST SHUT OFF ON A HIGHWAY. I lost 0.75-1.5 second prior to restarting and 1 more second before getting to safety. Had the car in the rear hit me it would have been their fault. However, my best driving skills could not change the fact that in the second the car stopped, I could not take evasive action in a 75k CAD car..

Second time it happened was in a parking lot. Similar scenario - and just about any time backing in parallel- stopping before turning, it cuts off the engine. Another car suddenly appeared and I was again 1-1.5 seconds without any reaction.. I was again lucky.

Could get worse on winter ice and slush if the wheels really slow down or reach zero traction. ASS will still turn your engine off.

TC told me, off the bat, that if the vehicle stops in situations not intended, when needing power, it may be 100% safety issue. This mechanism was meant to kick off and save emissions at a red light stop, not when dropping speed to 0 and restarting!!! Anyway, if this feature ever denied you acessing vehicle power, in a place NOT INTENDED TO STOP, then the best venue is formal notification of your federal Transportation body. That WILL get BMWs attention.

So 12000 kms and two unacceptable incidents. Am lucky as I never drive to work and not having experienced that more often as I rarely get stuck in traffic.

The ASS would work if 'Smart' to shut engine off after... 5 seconds say? But when you are decelerated temporarily, makes no sense.

Mine is deactivated, peace of mind. It only turns on if in Eco mode, but if you remmeber to turn it off, it will remmeber the last setting esp Comfort and Sports

The system definitely changes how it functions over time. Mine doesn't shut off nearly as often as it used to.
__________________

2014 F32 428i XDrive - MSport, Premium, Cold Weather, Drivers Assistance, Navi - Click for build thread
Mods (so far): 435i Exhaust Conversion, MPerf Diffuser, MPerf Black Grills, BMS Stage 1, Coding
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 07:15 AM   #236
Musashi
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithe90 View Post
The system definitely changes how it functions over time. Mine doesn't shut off nearly as often as it used to.
Are you sure there was not some software update while you went in for maintenance? When I got rid of mine I must have had 14000 kms and it was the last highway and parking lot stops that did it for me. I can still activate it manually.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
3 series f30, 3 series f30 forum, 3 series forum, bmw 3 series forum, bmw 3-series f30, bmw f30, bmw f30 3-series, bmw f30 forum, f30 3 series recall, f30 3 series recalls, f30 3-series, f30 3-series forum, f30 335 sib, f30 335i service bulletin, f30 335i stall, f30 335i tsb, f30 auto start stop fix, f30 auto start stop sib, f30 auto start stop stall, f30 auto start stop tsb, f30 forum, f30 forums, f30 head rest fix, f30 head rest service bulletin, f30 headrest fix, f30 recall, f30 recalls, f30 service bulletin, f30 service bulletins, f30 sib, f30 stall, f30 stalling, f30 start stop fix, f30 start stop stall, f30 start stop stalling, f30 tsb

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:58 AM.




f30post
f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST