F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Front/rear painted reflectors = VA inspection rejection!?
GetBMWParts

10-29-2016, 07:03 PM   #1
ecitizen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Front/rear painted reflectors = VA inspection rejection!?

So I got my annual safety inspection while my car was getting serviced at the BMW dealership and they rejected it for having painted reflectors after the dude said it should be fine. Super lame and the guys at the dealer hosed me because I spoke to a shop near me and they said they would have passed it but can't do anything now since "the rejection is in the system". Frustrating and I had no idea painted reflectors would be an issue. So now what? I guess I have to change back to the ugly stock reflectors unless anyone has other ideas?

I know how to replace the front reflectors which looks straight forward, but how hard is it to replace the rear reflectors? Any guidance appreciated. Ridiculous that a painted reflector would cause a safety rejection when you have lights and other reflectors in the front and back.

Thanks.

Last edited by ecitizen; 10-29-2016 at 10:49 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 07:13 PM   #2
BlueCrabMafia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sport Line

Cut some amber and red reflective tape in the shape of the reflector and stick it on there for the inspection then take it off after you get your sticker.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 08:54 PM   #3
Kingpin4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 black 435i xdrive f32

Good call BCM
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 10:42 PM   #4
Billfitz
Major
Rep
Drives: 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecitizen View Post
Ridiculous that a painted reflector would cause a safety rejection when you have lights and other reflectors in the front and back.
DOT regulations state that one red lamp and one red reflex reflector must be mounted on each side of the rear, one amber lamp and one amber reflector are also required on each side of the front of all vehicles. As for the dealer being a dick, if you get caught without mandated equipment after their inspection said it was OK then they run the risk of losing their license to inspect cars. To say that would impact their business is a vast understatement.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2016, 10:48 PM   #5
ecitizen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
DOT regulations state that one red lamp and one red reflex reflector must be mounted on each side of the rear, one amber lamp and one amber reflector are also required on each side of the front of all vehicles. As for the dealer being a dick, if you get caught without mandated equipment after their inspection said it was OK then they run the risk of losing their license to inspect cars. To say that would impact their business is a vast understatement.
What frustrates me is they said it wasn't going to be an issue so had them do the safety inspection and it was rejected when the local guy to whom I could have taken it did not think it was an issue. I had no idea a little reflector made any difference--complete surprise to me. Lesson learned I guess.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 10:55 PM   #6
Billfitz
Major
Rep

I bet the dealer had a previous bad experience and were warned not to do it again, while the local guy had not. And yes, it is in the system, where Carfax, other inspection stations and the cops will see it anytime your VIN is searched, so I wouldn't screw around.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 10:56 PM   #7
jgoens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

I'm in CA where were taxed and regulated out our asses. I've never heard of a safety inspection. That's goofy shit there.
      10-30-2016, 09:12 AM   #8
Billfitz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
I've never heard of a safety inspection.
I can't imagine a state without it. Having your car checked yearly to make sure the tires aren't bald, that the brakes and lights and other safety devices work and the exhaust doesn't leak isn't goofy, it's sensible. I don't want to be sharing the road with junkers. If those stupid enough to drive them kill themselves it doesn't bother me all that much, but I don't need some idiot driving a POS running into me.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 10:45 AM   #9
roll_the_dice
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F30 EBII

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I can't imagine a state without it. Having your car checked yearly to make sure the tires aren't bald, that the brakes and lights and other safety devices work and the exhaust doesn't leak isn't goofy, it's sensible. I don't want to be sharing the road with junkers. If those stupid enough to drive them kill themselves it doesn't bother me all that much, but I don't need some idiot driving a POS running into me.
We don't have safety inspections in GA. We used to have them when I was a kid. My wife is from NY and is used to safety inspections. Now all GA has is a emission inspection and that is in the Atlanta metro area only. My wife and I complain all the time about cars on the road we see that would/should never pass a safety inspection. Every time it rains I see cars in a median or ditch. I am sure it is because their tires are bald, which could be alleviated with inspections. I wish we had the inspections here.

However, I would never have thought about the reflectors. I have never changed the reflectors to painted versions, the reflectors never bothered me enough to spend the money on it.
Drives:2013 F30 EBII, 1965 Chevy C10, 1988 Porsche 944, 2013 Tangerine Scream Ford Focus ST Sold:2010 e90 Montego Blue, 2006 Mini R50,2004 VW Touareg, 2012 Camaro Convertible, 2008 Porsche 911 Convertible, 2007 Corvette, 2004 BMW e64 convertible, 2000 Dodge Dakota, 1999 Ford F150, 1999 Porsche Boxster, 1999 Ferrari Modena, 1992 BMW e36, 1990 Nissan 240sx, 1979 Celica, 1974 Mustang II
BMW Interior Trim wrapped in real Carbon Fiber. PM me for more details.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 11:16 AM   #10
the_man_in_blue
Private
Rep
Drives: It's blue.

the rear reflectors take 10 seconds to remove and replace. do that, this isn't that hard.

the fronts maybe a minute longer.

this is a non issue. wtf...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 12:30 PM   #11
Billfitz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
the reflectors never bothered me enough to spend the money on it.
Same here, I don't get it. The same for whining about front plates, or de-badging. I'm fine with mods, but if it doesn't add to my driving experience or comfort I don't need it.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 12:40 AM   #12
John in VA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 328iX

Quote:
So I got my annual safety inspection while my car was getting serviced at the BMW dealership and they rejected it for having painted reflectors after the dude said it should be fine.
Quote:
What frustrates me is they said it wasn't going to be an issue so had them do the safety inspection and it was rejected when the local guy to whom I could have taken it did not think it was an issue.
Are "the dude" & "they" someone at the dealership? If you've been having cars inspected in VA for any amount of time, you know there are "inspections," and there are "inspections," depending on where you take it. It's nice to have a friend looking out for you! I do most of my own work, and hate anyone else screwing with my cars, even for the inspection. The place I take mine know I will take care of things that need to be addressed and let me do it.