F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > So it happened, how do I fix a paint chip?
jb4store
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
bcl0328
Major
38

 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Abingdon, MD


Posts: 1,156
iTrader: (0)

So it happened, how do I fix a paint chip?

I hate those paint-chipping windshield-shattering dump trucks on the road. Already got a small chip in the paint. How can I fix it?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
bcl0328
Major
38

 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Abingdon, MD


Posts: 1,156
iTrader: (0)

anyone ever use dr. color chip?

http://drcolorchip.com/select-produc...&submit=Submit
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
KneeDragr
First Lieutenant
4

 
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arlington VA


Posts: 309
iTrader: (0)

Ive used it, it fixes the color aspect but it does not fill it in depth wise.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
bcl0328
Major
38

 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Abingdon, MD


Posts: 1,156
iTrader: (0)

there is barely any depth, i just want the color to match.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
KneeDragr
First Lieutenant
4

 
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arlington VA


Posts: 309
iTrader: (0)

The non-metallic color will always match better. Nobody on here is going to know enough about your particular color unless you tell us the color of your car.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
E90Fleet
Major General
South Africa
155

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa


Posts: 8,080
iTrader: (0)

Your BMW dealer can sell you a little touch up paint and clear coat paint kit, if that what you want.
They also have a larger BMW chip repair kit with small sanding and polishing compounds
__________________
Nominated: Member of the Year, Most Contributing Member


BMW if you are reading, I need a job
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
KneeDragr
First Lieutenant
4

 
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arlington VA


Posts: 309
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Your BMW dealer can sell you a little touch up paint and clear coat paint kit, if that what you want.
They also have a larger BMW chip repair kit with small sanding and polishing compounds
The Dr. Colorchip will *likely* look better than the simple touch up paint. The reason why is the touch up paint usually beads up and forms a lump where the paint chip was. The Dr. Colorchip quickly bonds to the paint, and allows you to wipe it off with a pad that is dampened with a paint sealant.

Now if you want to go all out, the sanding/polishing kit is the way to go. Basically you apply the touch up paint and let it form a lump. Then come back later and wet sand it flush with the paint, then polish out the sanding marks. The result should be nearly flawless.

Personally I dont have a lot of faith in myself taking sand paper to my car finish, so I use the Dr. Colorchip.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #8
shoptb
Captain
United_States
14

 
shoptb's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 328i MSport EBII 8A
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Columbus OH


Posts: 736
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post
I hate those paint-chipping windshield-shattering dump trucks on the road. Already got a small chip in the paint. How can I fix it?
You can get a quality clear-bra on the front of your car. Got mine 2 years ago, and not a chip on my baby. The peace of mind is worth the cost, plus bugs and stuff just wash off so much easier.

And for those that say the line is so noticeable...it's all about the quality of the material and the installer....look for yourself....



__________________
'13 F30 328i, 8SA, EBII, ZMM, ZPP, ZTP, ZLP, ZDA, ZCW, ZDH
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #9
KneeDragr
First Lieutenant
4

 
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arlington VA


Posts: 309
iTrader: (0)

Did you get the mirrors also?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
bcl0328
Major
38

 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Abingdon, MD


Posts: 1,156
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDragr View Post
The non-metallic color will always match better. Nobody on here is going to know enough about your particular color unless you tell us the color of your car.
alpine white
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #11
KneeDragr
First Lieutenant
4

 
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arlington VA


Posts: 309
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post
alpine white
Have they offered that color before 2012? Id check on other forums to see if anyone with that color has had success with a a particular product.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #12
onehungevo
Captain
14

 
Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2008


Posts: 838
iTrader: (0)

Dr. Colorchip worked great on one of my old cars that had metallic paint. I was afraid it would be a little dark where I applied the touch-up but I couldn't find it after applied. If you want to fix the depth you apply more than one coat. I wouldn't mess with trying to sand it. If it's really large I would bring it to a paint shop and have them try and fix it.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #13
onehungevo
Captain
14

 
Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2008


Posts: 838
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoptb View Post
You can get a quality clear-bra on the front of your car. Got mine 2 years ago, and not a chip on my baby. The peace of mind is worth the cost, plus bugs and stuff just wash off so much easier.

And for those that say the line is so noticeable...it's all about the quality of the material and the installer....look for yourself....



The clear bra works great. Having no rock chips on your car driving in Columbus is saying something. There are a ton of large trucks that drive through there.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #14
bcl0328
Major
38

 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Abingdon, MD


Posts: 1,156
iTrader: (0)

this shop wanted $690 to do a full clear bra, including mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #15
Red Bread
Brigadier General
United_States
45

 
Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX


Posts: 4,304
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoptb View Post
And for those that say the line is so noticeable...it's all about the quality of the material and the installer....look for yourself....
This is a trick question right? I can see that in both pictures quite clearly and on the headlight sprayers. I'd rather have a few rock chips and not have to see the clear bra every time I approach my car, but understand why folks go either route.

I'm detail obsessed and have a four year old Jet Black car that I don't find that hard to keep nearly swirl free, just for reference.

As for fixing Alpine White, it should be easy, it's a single stage paint, just buy the touch up paint, use a tooth pick to fill the hole with color, one drop at a time, let it dry over night, add a drop and then fill the hole slightly over level with the clear coat and then wet sand it level with a 2000 wet block. Even for a large chip, you should be able to fill the entire thing and have it sanded in under a week.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #16
shoptb
Captain
United_States
14

 
shoptb's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 328i MSport EBII 8A
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Columbus OH


Posts: 736
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
This is a trick question right? I can see that in both pictures quite clearly and on the headlight sprayers. I'd rather have a few rock chips and not have to see the clear bra every time I approach my car, but understand why folks go either route.

I'm detail obsessed and have a four year old Jet Black car that I don't find that hard to keep nearly swirl free, just for reference.
I didn't say it was invisible, but to me, that's a really good job considering that I don't have to worry about rock chips, bugs, other annoyances. I agree that if one is detail-obsessed and has the time to keep a jet black car swirl free....you're probably ok without the clear bra. I wish I was that patient!
__________________
'13 F30 328i, 8SA, EBII, ZMM, ZPP, ZTP, ZLP, ZDA, ZCW, ZDH

Last edited by shoptb; 04-13-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #17
SCBimmerKid
Lieutenant
9

 
SCBimmerKid's Avatar
 
Drives: Mineral Grey F30
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hilton Head, SC


Posts: 580
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoptb View Post
I didn't say it was invisible, but to me, that's a really good job considering that I don't have to worry about rock chips, bugs, other annoyances. I agree that if one is detail-obsessed and has the time to keep a jet black car swirl free....you're probably ok without the clear bra. I wish I was that patient!
My sister's dad (long story) had a Gallardo that had the clear bra on the front, applied by someone in Columbus, and it was great for about two years and then weirdly began to get a little hazy, and bugs became MUCH harder to remove from the bra than the actual paint. Have you experienced this at all?
__________________

*NO LONGER ON ORDER* '12 328i Mineral Grey Metallic w/black leather/aluminum&black gloss trim/ZSL/ZPP/Xenons
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #18
shoptb
Captain
United_States
14

 
shoptb's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 328i MSport EBII 8A
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Columbus OH


Posts: 736
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBimmerKid View Post
My sister's dad (long story) had a Gallardo that had the clear bra on the front, applied by someone in Columbus, and it was great for about two years and then weirdly began to get a little hazy, and bugs became MUCH harder to remove from the bra than the actual paint. Have you experienced this at all?
Wow, that's interesting. No, I haven't experienced that...and if I did, I probably wouldn't be so positive about the clear-bra. I got mine installed by an independent guy (Julius Poa) from over in Dayton....he's apparently one of the best in Ohio. It's been almost two years, and no swirls/haziness yet. I wonder how much difference the actual type of material used accounts for that?
__________________
'13 F30 328i, 8SA, EBII, ZMM, ZPP, ZTP, ZLP, ZDA, ZCW, ZDH
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #19
KneeDragr
First Lieutenant
4

 
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arlington VA


Posts: 309
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBimmerKid View Post
My sister's dad (long story) had a Gallardo that had the clear bra on the front, applied by someone in Columbus, and it was great for about two years and then weirdly began to get a little hazy, and bugs became MUCH harder to remove from the bra than the actual paint. Have you experienced this at all?
There are dozens of different versions of the film they apply. Some of it is really cheap and yellows after 6 months of daily driving. Other stuff lasts 3+ years, but its always going to have some UV degradation over time.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #20
SCBimmerKid
Lieutenant
9

 
SCBimmerKid's Avatar
 
Drives: Mineral Grey F30
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hilton Head, SC


Posts: 580
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoptb View Post
Wow, that's interesting. No, I haven't experienced that...and if I did, I probably wouldn't be so positive about the clear-bra. I got mine installed by an independent guy (Julius Poa) from over in Dayton....he's apparently one of the best in Ohio. It's been almost two years, and no swirls/haziness yet. I wonder how much difference the actual type of material used accounts for that?
Hmmm, I think it was applied by MAG when he bought it. It wouldn't surprise me if they put on some cheap stuff. However, it was FAR from cheap to apply.
__________________

*NO LONGER ON ORDER* '12 328i Mineral Grey Metallic w/black leather/aluminum&black gloss trim/ZSL/ZPP/Xenons
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #21
JoeyO
Lieutenant
United_States
24

 
Drives: silver car
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: USA


Posts: 547
iTrader: (0)

You guys in the south don't know what it's like to maintain a car in mint condition here above the snow belt. From Oct to April, you car is constantly subjected to rocks and pebbles left behind by the snow trucks. Many cars (not mine, of course) look like they have a cancer or pox of the front end. Totally disgusting, especially on black cars. Clear bras aren't perfect, but they're definitely the lesser of two evils.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #22
Jan van Zyl
Private
Namibia
1

 
Drives: 2011 X3 (F25) x-drive 2.0D
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Windhoek, Namibia


Posts: 92
iTrader: (0)

I have an Alpine white X3. Developed a few stone chips. Visited a reputable panel beater - and was fortunate that they repaired an Alpine white BMW the previous day. They gave me for free a "Cutex" bottle of paint which I then applied with the Cutex brush. He warned that it is a water based paint that may eventually wear off after repeated washing. Then will need to be re-applied. Sofar I didn't need to reapply though. Immediately after application the color seems "different" to the rest of the paint - after drying it is the same though. It does not fill the depth defect - this I may have done professionally before selling. The overall result quite satisfactory though. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST