F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW Test Driver Killed in ActiveHybrid F30 3 Series Crash
Steve Thomas BMW

09-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #133
Frosty
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Ordered my E92 (7/10/06)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis91 View Post

...wow... good point by posting this ~Frost
335i Coupe (6MT) (2007: 9/06 build, pre ordered, only owner): Space Grey / Black Leatherette / Grey Poplar trim / ZCW / ZSP / BMW assist w/ bluetooth / power rear shade / navi with iDrive / comfort access keyless entry /+homelink mirror/ 154,885+miles (Nov-12-2013)
.................................................. ......................
      09-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #134
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough

Drives: Too Many

Condolences to all involved.

The lesson to learn here is NOT to immediately place blame. The lesson is that when you're behind the wheel, YOU - the driver, are responsible for your own well being.

Assertions based on entitlement - ie it's the other guy's fault for cutting him off are ill conceived. You must always be sure to have a "plan B" when you're driving be it in a parking lot, on the highway or on track.

You must always assume that the other drivers sharing the road with you might pull out in front of you. If that were to happen, you better be prepared to take evasive action. I personally dial back my speed whenever I'm overtaking another vehicle so that I'm better equipped to handle something such as this. As mentioned above, if you are at speed, physics works against you if you need to make an abrupt change of direction. It's wholly irrelevant that I'm not in the wrong to be passing a slower vehicle. Arguments of who was "right" and who was "wrong" are of little meaning if you're dead.

None of us here have firsthand knowledge of what happened. So, none of us have the right to draw any conclusions or place any blame. I personally feel that posting this is a valuable tool to help educate those who don't fully understand the potential consequences one can face regardless of what, where or how they are driving. Motor vehicles are dangerous. They must be treated with respect at all times.
BavarianFanatic is offline   United_States
      09-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #135
DrivenByE30
Colonel

Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Condolences to all involved.

The lesson to learn here is NOT to immediately place blame. The lesson is that when you're behind the wheel, YOU - the driver, are responsible for your own well being.

Assertions based on entitlement - ie it's the other guy's fault for cutting him off are ill conceived. You must always be sure to have a "plan B" when you're driving be it in a parking lot, on the highway or on track.

You must always assume that the other drivers sharing the road with you might pull out in front of you. If that were to happen, you better be prepared to take evasive action. I personally dial back my speed whenever I'm overtaking another vehicle so that I'm better equipped to handle something such as this. As mentioned above, if you are at speed, physics works against you if you need to make an abrupt change of direction. It's wholly irrelevant that I'm not in the wrong to be passing a slower vehicle. Arguments of who was "right" and who was "wrong" are of little meaning if you're dead.

None of us here have firsthand knowledge of what happened. So, none of us have the right to draw any conclusions or place any blame. I personally feel that posting this is a valuable tool to help educate those who don't fully understand the potential consequences one can face regardless of what, where or how they are driving. Motor vehicles are dangerous. They must be treated with respect at all times.

I agree with your post on all accounts ! Thanks for writing those clear and objective words. This is the reality. Everyone one is at fault, starting with ourselves first !

I am learning myself. This thread is the reality of things, not the joyful pink image we have drawn for ourselves.
DrivenByE30 is offline   France
      09-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #136
TO KCMO

Drives: 2011 328i

Prayers or out to the family. That is really tragic.
TO KCMO is offline   United_States
      09-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #137
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise

Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge View Post
How can a hybrid test on the autobahn can be "highly negligent and reckless"?
The fact is, that there are safer closed courses where this could have been conducted at no risk to the public.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
James T. Kirk is offline   United_States
      09-26-2012, 01:04 AM   #138
kgroschi
Lieutenant

Drives: 08 M5 [GONE], now '09 E90 335i

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
The fact is, that there are safer closed courses where this could have been conducted at no risk to the public.
Every single day people enjoy to drive fast on the Autobahn. Only cause this happened to be a BMW test driver who ended up in this forum doesn't make it a very unique incident that only occurs during "testing". This happens a couple times a year and you guys make such a big deal about it. With YOU i mean everyone not from Germany or at least whoever hasn't driven on the Autobahn. You guys make it sound very wrong cause you have to idea of how it works over there. With all due respect....

God Bless America
kgroschi is offline   Germany
      09-26-2012, 01:34 AM   #139
watrob
Major

Drives: MY2013 X5M 50d - White

When highways are shared with high speed cars, slower cars and large semi-trucks then you are always going to get fatalities. Like I said earlier, at speed and someone changes lanes on you the driver becomes the passenger and there not much you can do.

Just watch Formula one cars & bikes, when they let go its just a matter of holding on, the trouble is there is no sand traps on the hwy only gaurdrails.

X5 M50d White, 20"rims, Adaptive Drive, HUD, Xenon Adapt Lights, Rear/Side Camera, Sunroof, Auto Tailgate, Comfort Access, Active Perforated Ventilated Comfort Seats, M Paddle Shift, Active Crus, Stop/Go, Proff Nav + TV, DAB, 16 Spk Ind HiFi, USB, Internet, Apps, 4 Zone Air, Towbar 20% Tint, 5mm Castor Bushes, Yellow Calipers, Ceramic Pads
watrob is offline   Australia
      09-26-2012, 02:05 AM   #140
gerbs
woof

Drives: 2013 Estoril F30 335i

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to gerbs
Wow that airbag is very disturbing.

Sorry to the family & friends.

2013 F13 ///M6 Sakhir Orange
2013 F30 335i Estoril Blue II
2008 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue
2007 E92 335i Montego Blue
gerbs is offline   United_States
      09-26-2012, 04:03 AM   #141
jwickers
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 328i GT

Trucks are the worst on the highway, i am always watching them closely and ready to honk when passing.

At least in civilized countries they tend to stay on the left, here in China they are all over the place. Driving on the highway is like a slalom, that and other drivers passing on the right, and the emergency lane.
      09-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #142
phx08
Lieutenant

Drives: MKV Jetta

RIP to the driver. This is a very disturbing crash to look at. Drive safe everyone...

To the poster above, I know what you mean. Trucks in other countries are INCREDIBLY careless. I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for my Dad's evasive actions on the night that my family was supposed to fly over to the United States. A large truck ran a red light at an intersection and if my dad hadn't swerved we would’ve went straight into the side of the cargo "box" which would’ve taken the whole top of the car off....

Last edited by phx08; 09-26-2012 at 01:51 PM.
phx08 is offline   United_States
      09-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #143
James T. Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgroschi View Post
Every single day people enjoy to drive fast on the Autobahn. Only cause this happened to be a BMW test driver who ended up in this forum doesn't make it a very unique incident that only occurs during "testing". This happens a couple times a year and you guys make such a big deal about it. With YOU i mean everyone not from Germany or at least whoever hasn't driven on the Autobahn. You guys make it sound very wrong cause you have to idea of how it works over there. With all due respect....

God Bless America

Your meaning is not very clear. I'm not "anti-Autobahn" if that's what you're getting at. It's actually my American sensibility that believes in the freedom to have an outlet like the Autobahn to drive without limit. But that type of freedom is a personal choice with personal risks. Driver beware.

My contention is that conducting a company-sanctioned test that could harm the public at large when there are other safer options, is irresponsible of BMW.

09-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #144
MaestroAl
Major

Drives: Superman 330D M Sport

I think you're misinterpreting the word test.

This isn't some kind of test about "can the car go that fast safely" because all of that testing IS done on private test tracks. This will have been something like "do you get wind noise of the windscreen wipers?" or "is there much vibration in the cabin at speed on a real road, not a race track?".

What happened here was a fatal motoring incident like any other. One person made a colossal fuck up and someone died. This guy didn't die because he worked for BMW or because he was "testing" something on the car. He died because a lorry driver pulled out on him. He could have been a banker. Would that have been different?
MaestroAl is offline   United Kingdom
      09-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #145
NISFAN
Brigadier General

Drives: The best kind of F30 :)

Quote:
My contention is that conducting a company-sanctioned test that could harm the public at large when there are other safer options, is irresponsible of BMW.
WTF? This guy was driving to work in a company car. Have a word with yourself
NISFAN is offline   England
      09-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #146
M3 n X5M
Private First Class

Drives: 2011 X5 M, 2008 e90 M3 6 MT.

OP have moral decency and remove this morbid post. A man died. Simply take this off.

The forum is for entertainment and education. Not for exhibiting the misfortune of a person who perished in an accident.

I have not elevated my knowledge of BMW cars from the photos. And frankly, seeing the wreck each time is insulting to the memory of the man who died.

Take this out.
M3 n X5M is offline   United_States
      09-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #147
martinf79
Captain

Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011M3MD View Post
OP have moral decency and remove this morbid post. A man died. Simply take this off.

The forum is for entertainment and education. Not for exhibiting the misfortune of a person who perished in an accident.

I have not elevated my knowledge of BMW cars from the photos. And frankly, seeing the wreck each time is insulting to the memory of the man who died.

Take this out.
Your opinion - I beg to differ. If these pics even get one person to slow down or decide to make one less risky move.... It could save a life. The pics clearly demonstrate that our cars and we are not invincible. There are no pictures of death... Simply a pic of an accident. I'm afraid your opinion does not trump all others.

2013 335i ///M-Sport | MPPK ON ORDER | AW | BD Leather | 19” M3 ZCP Wheels | M-Sport Brakes | Adaptive M-Suspension | Variable Sport Steering | Premium Package | Enhanced Bluetooth | Sirius | BMW Apps | Heads Up Display | Speed Limit Info | M Performance Grill | Front/Rear Painted Reflectors | Coded
      09-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #148
James T. Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
WTF? This guy was driving to work in a company car. Have a word with yourself
Read the original post...

"The driver was involved in a series of high-speed test for the hybrid 3er, with the car passing some trucks at a high rate of speed."

09-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #149
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough

Quote:
Read the original post...

"The driver was involved in a series of high-speed test for the hybrid 3er, with the car passing some trucks at a high rate of speed."
Read further, the initial info was incorrectly translated. It was not a test driver. It was an employee driving a company car. The thread should probably be updated with the correction.
      09-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #150
phx08
Lieutenant

Drives: MKV Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinf79 View Post
Your opinion - I beg to differ. If these pics even get one person to slow down or decide to make one less risky move.... It could save a life. The pics clearly demonstrate that our cars and we are not invincible. There are no pictures of death... Simply a pic of an accident. I'm afraid your opinion does not trump all others.
I agree, its not a gore picture where its showing the person that died.
phx08 is offline   United_States
      09-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #151
James T. Kirk

Quote:
Read further, the initial info was incorrectly translated. It was not a test driver. It was an employee driving a company car. The thread should probably be updated with the correction.

Please show me the link. I don't see what you're referencing. What you're claiming would make a big difference.

No matter how you cut it, it's a horrible tragedy to the driver and his family and also a tough moment for the image of BMW's new 3-er.

I'm of the mind that these pictures should not have been so extensively posted in the news.

09-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #152
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough

Quote:
Please show me the link. I don't see what you're referencing. What you're claiming would make a big difference.

No matter how you cut it, it's a horrible tragedy to the driver and his family and also a tough moment for the image of BMW's new 3-er.

I'm of the mind that these pictures should not have been so extensively posted in the news.
Post 125:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=125
      09-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #153
James T. Kirk

Quote:

Thank you. This makes this even sadder.

10-03-2012, 06:59 AM   #154
Geoffo
Major

Drives: Something else..

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Piotr View Post
They cut you off on purpose...slow drivers see a car flying in the left lane and they move in to "pass" a car in front of them, but they only do it at about 5mph faster than the car they are passing. A lot of times you are right on their rear and they just move over into your lane. There is a lot of jealousy because you drive nicer faster car....
My condolences go out to the drivers family, but this comment above Is one of the most DUMBASS comments I've read In a long time..
Geoffo is offline   Belgium