F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Rear Diffuser Modification
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-28-2015, 12:55 AM   #1
wolves
Second Lieutenant
20
Rep
258
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 328i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Rear Diffuser Modification

So I purchased a CF diffuser for the F30 base body from a member on here as I don't have Msport. It looks great but has quad cutouts.
When I went for a muffler delete, the single pipes coming through the cutouts looked funky with so much space around them(even with biggest tips) so I opted for the quads and I feel too poser already.

I can get the pipe re-done, going to the left side with twin tips like the stock setup but does anyone know what I can do to cover up the right side diffuser cutout? My only idea is to contact a CF vendor and have a custom "cover" made. Anyone have a suggestion on who I could reach out to?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 10:53 AM   #2
retiredmarine
Second Lieutenant
10
Rep
271
Posts

Drives: 2014 328i msport
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Corpus Christi

iTrader: (0)

I would leave the quad pipes or buy a new diffuser. Just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 12:49 PM   #3
RW Carbon
RW Carbon's Avatar
114
Rep
794
Posts

Drives: BMW E60 550i LCI & E82 135i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pomona, California

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves View Post
So I purchased a CF diffuser for the F30 base body from a member on here as I don't have Msport. It looks great but has quad cutouts.
When I went for a muffler delete, the single pipes coming through the cutouts looked funky with so much space around them(even with biggest tips) so I opted for the quads and I feel too poser already.

I can get the pipe re-done, going to the left side with twin tips like the stock setup but does anyone know what I can do to cover up the right side diffuser cutout? My only idea is to contact a CF vendor and have a custom "cover" made. Anyone have a suggestion on who I could reach out to?

Thanks!
You may just want to go with another diffuser rather than modify the one you have. You can always resell the one you have now.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 02:43 AM   #4
wolves
Second Lieutenant
20
Rep
258
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 328i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Damn was afraid that would be the suggestion
I'll probably need to start looking around or learn to live with the quads. Sounds amazing but looks a bit too much.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 07:52 PM   #5
teaston
Lieutenant General
teaston's Avatar
United Kingdom
1573
Rep
13,353
Posts

Drives: 335d M Sport Plus
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norfolk 'n' Good

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredmarine View Post
I would leave the quad pipes or buy a new diffuser. Just my opinion.
This^!
__________________
Current: LCI F30 335d M Sport - BSM/CR
Spec - M Sport Plus Pack, Adaptive Dampers, HUD, ACC, SLD, Memory Seats, Pro Nav, Interior Comfort Pack, Reverse Cam, Folding Mirrors
Mods - ACS Springs, MPSS, Eibach Spacers, M Performance Grilles, Diffuser, Pedal Covers, Floor Mats, CF Spoiler & CF Mirror Caps, LED Reverse Lights
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2015, 03:10 AM   #6
Versipellis
First Lieutenant
32
Rep
369
Posts

Drives: '09 E90 328i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Pictures?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 04:10 AM   #7
smithf32
Brigadier General
smithf32's Avatar
United_States
737
Rep
3,818
Posts

Drives: '14 F32 428 MSport
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to smithf32
Yeah I would love to see pics too. Quads can definitely look nice and no one should give you crap, especially not if you're badged. Even if you're not though its your car and if it looks good to you then who cares.
__________________

2014 F32 428i XDrive - MSport, Premium, Cold Weather, Drivers Assistance, Navi - Click for build thread
Mods (so far): M Performance Exhaust, Diffusor, and Grills. Trunk Lip, Painted Reflectors, Coding
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 04:22 AM   #8
wolves
Second Lieutenant
20
Rep
258
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 328i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

I'm debadged but just ordered personal plates that will reference 328. Side note: Anyone who ordered personal plates in California - is the 8-12wk wait time true? That seems really long.

Picture attached. It looks like there's a rough edge on the right cutout that I didn't notice before. Might need to lightly sand that.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by wolves; 02-01-2015 at 04:35 AM. Reason: picture too large
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 01:47 PM   #9
USC2000
Lieutenant Colonel
USC2000's Avatar
United_States
81
Rep
1,597
Posts

Drives: F30 328i M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: El Paso, TX

iTrader: (10)

Keep the quads! The car looks great.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 04:59 PM   #10
rikwynnpa
Private First Class
United_States
23
Rep
178
Posts

Drives: 2015 F30 335xi M Sport 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Philly

iTrader: (0)

I think those quad pipes are outstanding looking. What did u do to get them?

QUOTE=wolves;17302178]So I purchased a CF diffuser for the F30 base body from a member on here as I don't have Msport. It looks great but has quad cutouts.
When I went for a muffler delete, the single pipes coming through the cutouts looked funky with so much space around them(even with biggest tips) so I opted for the quads and I feel too poser already.

I can get the pipe re-done, going to the left side with twin tips like the stock setup but does anyone know what I can do to cover up the right side diffuser cutout? My only idea is to contact a CF vendor and have a custom "cover" made. Anyone have a suggestion on who I could reach out to?

Thanks![/quote]
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2015, 01:17 AM   #11
wolves
Second Lieutenant
20
Rep
258
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 328i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Thank you! I just might, I'm starting to adjust to them being there. I DO like that the tips aren't too big.

Just a muffler delete. The shop basically put a small Y piece where the muffler was with straight pipes from that point back on either side, then the last part angles outward. I know a lot of people aren't down with the drone but honestly it's not bad to me. I assumed drone would be much worse. RPM below 2000 is pretty quiet. Cold start up is decent, warm is perfect, pops and gurgles are nice. Some people might even want it louder but I'm content with the sound so I'm leaving my resonator alone. I don't have an intake, tune or downpipe. I can try to get a video up over the weekend. If you're anywhere near the Los Angeles area and would like to check them out, PM me for shop info! I'm sure any muffler shop can do the job similarly.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 08:31 AM   #12
DrTopitop
New Member
1
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i Xdrive
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Cleveland, OH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves View Post
Thank you! I just might, I'm starting to adjust to them being there. I DO like that the tips aren't too big.

Just a muffler delete. The shop basically put a small Y piece where the muffler was with straight pipes from that point back on either side, then the last part angles outward. I know a lot of people aren't down with the drone but honestly it's not bad to me. I assumed drone would be much worse. RPM below 2000 is pretty quiet. Cold start up is decent, warm is perfect, pops and gurgles are nice. Some people might even want it louder but I'm content with the sound so I'm leaving my resonator alone. I don't have an intake, tune or downpipe. I can try to get a video up over the weekend. If you're anywhere near the Los Angeles area and would like to check them out, PM me for shop info! I'm sure any muffler shop can do the job similarly.
How much did that run you if you don't mind me asking? I wanna get some estimates but wanna know a ballpark, LOVE the quad exhaust bro, keep them!
__________________
2013 328i Xdrive
Black Sapphire Metallic w/ Dakota Black/Red Highlights
| Sport Line | Cold Weather | Premium | Navi |
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 02:50 PM   #13
F30Drew
Enlisted Member
F30Drew's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i x Drive sport
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Central NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves View Post
I'm debadged but just ordered personal plates that will reference 328. Side note: Anyone who ordered personal plates in California - is the 8-12wk wait time true? That seems really long.

Picture attached. It looks like there's a rough edge on the right cutout that I didn't notice before. Might need to lightly sand that.
Looks awesome! Id keep the quads, really like the diffuser as well!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 05:47 PM   #14
Nick328i_qc
EMT - Firefighter
Nick328i_qc's Avatar
Canada
13
Rep
279
Posts

Drives: BMW f30 328i 2012
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sainte-Julie, Qc , Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 328i  [5.00]
2006 325I  [0.00]
1988 ranger  [0.00]
do you have any more pic. I want to know how much it's sticking out. the thickness of the diffusor.
thanks
love the look
__________________

BMW 2012 F30 Sport Line, Ext black, Int Black with red accent, Manual, Black front grill, Afe Stage 2 Pro5R intake + DAS scoop, H&R Coilover, VMR VB3- 18 inch 18X8,5-18X9 235/275 HyperBlack Falken 452
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 06:01 PM   #15
Trevster
Enlisted Member
Trevster's Avatar
4
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2014 428xi
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC2000
Keep the quads! The car looks great.
I agree. I have the 428 and the single dual left sided exhaust drives me nuts. Looks sharp!
Also can you tell me which defuser you got?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 02:42 AM   #16
Boxtyp3
Major
Boxtyp3's Avatar
Philippines
37
Rep
1,241
Posts

Drives: 2015 F32 MG
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2002 E46 cp  [0.00]
2015 F32 435  [0.00]
2010 E82 135i  [0.00]
2013 E92 335i  [0.00]
Keep it. Looks neat!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 12:01 PM   #17
chaudhrysn
Captain
chaudhrysn's Avatar
107
Rep
770
Posts

Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Texas

iTrader: (2)

More pics! I didn't even know they had a diffuser for the non m sports! Looks amazing
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 03:25 PM   #18
PelotonToPodium
Enlisted Member
5
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: 2015 Alpine White 328i
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (1)

wolves Any lead on where to get this diffuser? I've got a non-m 328 and NEED THIS IN MY LIFE.

Also...and sadly, yes the plates (I'm assuming you got legacy) take that long. My buddy put his order in mid/late dec and just received them a week or two ago. I put mine in January, any day now (but not really, because DMV).
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 03:44 PM   #19
chaudhrysn
Captain
chaudhrysn's Avatar
107
Rep
770
Posts

Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Texas

iTrader: (2)

Hmm looks like the kelleners style lip. Idk how I feel about it seeing that side profile view. I'd love to see some real side profile pics though[IMG]http://img.diytrade.com/smimg/935476..._lip_/6c7f.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 07:20 AM   #20
JOE YOUNG
SEAL TEAM SIX
JOE YOUNG's Avatar
United Kingdom
20
Rep
307
Posts

Drives: F30 330d M sport plus BSM
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Great Western

iTrader: (0)

For me, it actually looks great. I say keep it.
__________________
DON'T MAKE ME ANGRY!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 11:31 AM   #21
Versipellis
First Lieutenant
32
Rep
369
Posts

Drives: '09 E90 328i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Did you ever record a video?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3v
My condolences to all who care that the precious M Logo got pillaged. Perhaps get a session with your therapist?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 10:45 PM   #22
TFX_N20
New Member
United_States
3
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 320I
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Rear looks amazing. I need this diffuser. How was the install? I was looking at another non-m rear diffuser but you have to cut the rear to fit it.
__________________

F30/320ISP/INJEN/AG/MPERF/ER/BORLA/JB4///
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:30 PM.




f30post
f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST