F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Help, can't move steering wheels
Vorsteiner

04-24-2018, 01:12 PM   #1
Shinyo
Rep
Drives: f30

Help, can't move steering wheels

2012 F30 with 35k miles, barely drive it.

Car was sitting in my driveway for the last 2 months for winter. Finally tried to drive it recently but the steering wheel will not move. It feels like it is locked but when I turn it left or right it makes a whirring noise, almost like a robot moving.

Car starts but had low battery. I have charged it since. Can also drive it back and forth, just can't turn the steering wheel. No error codes coming up.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening? Car was driving fine before. I am second owner of car and out of warranty. Any help is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 01:28 PM   #2
bheng89
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328xi

the whirring noise sounds like a power steering fluid issue.

since it sounded like you drove the car, was it easier to turn the wheel while the car was in motion?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 01:56 PM   #3
Billfitz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Search for posts about the electric steering assist motor mounting bolts, I recall seeing some where they broke off, so the motor wasn't functional.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 05:01 PM   #4
Shinyo
Rep

I couldn't "drive" the car except put it in Drive and Reverse in my driveway. The car moved but I still couldn't steer.

The steering on the f30 is electrical so there isn't any steering fluid used I believe. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks i will search for the bolt issue.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2018, 05:06 PM   #5
bheng89
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328xi

lol I actually didnt realize that our cars have an electrical steering instead of fluid. thats pretty neat!

I was just basing my assumption on previous modeled cars... my bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 05:14 PM   #6
bimmer456
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i

Electric power steering is pretty much standard on all cars manufactured in the last several years so no fluid. Could be an issue with the motor. May want to replace the battery too.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 12:56 PM   #7
Shinyo
Rep

If anyone is interested in the follow-up:

*One thing to note, before I stored it away for winter I did hit a large pothole which dented my driver-side wheel but the car was still drive-able and the tire kept its air.

I eventually towed the car into the dealership to have them look at it. The SA came back and said it was because I hit the pothole that caused the bolts to fall off that connects the rack to the motor. Eventually the last (4th) bolt fell off over winter. Billfitz Looks like you were right about the bolts. The fix is to fully replace the steering rack.

Do you guys think this is a realistic scenario? Are these cars not built to withstand certain impact? They're telling me I should go through insurance to get it replace ($4500 job) but my deductible is $1000. Should I 1) Talk to Service Director 2) Talk to BMWNA 3) Call my insurance?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 01:54 PM   #8
BunkerJ
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinyo View Post
If anyone is interested in the follow-up:

*One thing to note, before I stored it away for winter I did hit a large pothole which dented my driver-side wheel but the car was still drive-able and the tire kept its air.

I eventually towed the car into the dealership to have them look at it. The SA came back and said it was because I hit the pothole that caused the bolts to fall off that connects the rack to the motor. Eventually the last (4th) bolt fell off over winter. Billfitz Looks like you were right about the bolts. The fix is to fully replace the steering rack.

Do you guys think this is a realistic scenario? Are these cars not built to withstand certain impact? They're telling me I should go through insurance to get it replace ($4500 job) but my deductible is $1000. Should I 1) Talk to Service Director 2) Talk to BMWNA 3) Call my insurance?
You could possibly talk to them and see if they'd be willing to help. Worst they can say is no. If they do say no, you could try an indy shop to cut down some of the cost or DIY. The part itself is quite expensive unless you can find a used one. Did they say why you couldn't just replace the bolts? I'm not entirely familiar with this part of the car but I'm assuming if it just fell off and the motor isn't damaged, then you could use it?

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 02:13 PM   #9
Billfitz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Are these cars not built to withstand certain impact?
You bent a wheel. That's a very high impact. As it's technically an accident I'd have it covered by insurance. You can't blame BMW, you're the one who hit the pothole. You might have been able to file a claim against the state or local community responsible for the road upkeep, but it's too late now. It would have been a good idea to have the car looked over at that time for other damage as well. Chalk it up as an expensive learning experience.
Appreciate 1
BunkerJ559.00

04-30-2018, 02:27 PM   #10
Shinyo
Rep

I am just shocked there isn't any warnings beforehand that the bolts holding together the steering rack and motor is falling apart or fell off already. I was probably driving with 1 bolt left. What if I was still driving and the last bolt fell off and I lost all steering capabilities?

User had similar problems in this thread - https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1469927

Ford had to recall almost a million vehicles due to their bolts corroding in water/snow with salt over time.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 02:45 PM   #11
BunkerJ
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I am just shocked there isn't any warnings beforehand that the bolts holding together the steering rack and motor is falling apart or fell off already. I was probably driving with 1 bolt left. What if I was still driving and the last bolt fell off and I lost all steering capabilities?

User had similar problems in this thread - https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1469927

Ford had to recall almost a million vehicles due to their bolts corroding in water/snow with salt over time.
If having this car has taught me anything, it's that BMW will try their best to avoid a recall or even extended warranty. Just like the 2012-2014 timing chain guide issue, unless it's happening a lot of cars, it won't be recalled. Hell, BMW gave that issue an extended warranty to 70k miles (Hint: Most, if not all, failure were past 70k) probably just to save face and show they addressed it.

So my question is, can you not just get new bolts and reinstall? Or is this a threading issue or is the motor damaged?

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 10:38 AM   #12
Shinyo
Rep

The motor is damaged at this point, probably because I was driving around with 1 bolt attaching the rack to the motor. Very safe right?

Even though there are other users that had this same issue (but no impact involved) BMW still isn't owning up to the issue saying "we take these scenarios on a case-by-case basis".
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 10:50 AM   #13
BunkerJ
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The motor is damaged at this point, probably because I was driving around with 1 bolt attaching the rack to the motor. Very safe right?

Even though there are other users that had this same issue (but no impact involved) BMW still isn't owning up to the issue saying "we take these scenarios on a case-by-case basis".
Unfortunately, that's just how it is. If they wouldn't take a catastrophic issue seriously, doubtful they would for this unless it was widespread.

Appreciate 0