F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20 and N26 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 328i non-sport oil cooler?

06-19-2015, 10:47 AM   #1
Marshalltj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

328i non-sport oil cooler?

I drive my car pretty hard and was wondering is anyone has come across a good after market oil cooler option that is designed for setup in our cars?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 12:26 PM   #2
LittleBlackHawk
Rep
Drives: F30

I would like to know, too. Where i live the BMW sells the Europe version instead of the US version, so we don't get the extra oil cooler as the US M sport do. It would be great for me to know this, too. I always wondered if it is possible to buy the US model M Sport oil cooler and install it on the cars which don't have it.

Last edited by LittleBlackHawk; 07-01-2015 at 09:49 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 04:21 PM   #3
ji99lypuff
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 328xi

I remember reading that the extra radiator on the USA version of the m sport was for cooling the brakes and not the oil.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 06:05 PM   #4
crono06
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M Sport 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ji99lypuff View Post
I remember reading that the extra radiator on the USA version of the m sport was for cooling the brakes and not the oil.
I believe one is an auxiliary rad and the other is an oil cooler. Brake cooling piping is there regardless of fogs or not.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 05:16 PM   #5
Stubok
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red F30 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlackHawk
I would like to know, too. Where i am live the BMW sells the Europe version instead of the US version, so we don't get the extra oil cooler as the US M sport do. It would be great for me to know this, too. I always wondered if it is possible to buy the US model M Sport oil cooler and install it on the cars which don't have it.
The entire cooling system (including the extra radiator on hot climate pack) is water based. There is no oil radiator per say.

The oil is cooled through an oil to water - plate type heat exchanger.

Also looking at the schematic of the engine cooling system, it looks like the left side (looking at the engine bay) rad is more directed towards the turbo cooling loop (keeping turbo cool), while the right side additional rad in the hot climate M-Sport version is more directed to the transmission cooling loop.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 08:01 AM   #6
ngbernie
Enlisted Member
Rep

There is a small aluminum radiator for cooling engine oil attached directly to the oil filter housing. P/N 11427525333 for all N20 engines regardless of market.

There are some universal oil coolers that provide an upgrade, but may not mount directly to the N20 Engine. You can try http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-F30-328...ng/Oil_Cooler/
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 08:33 AM   #7
Stubok
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yes that is a water to oil heat exchanger.

Although it looks small it is very effective in rejecting the heat in the oil to the Water cooling circuit.

Also the water to oil HX is counter flow which is much more effective at exchanging heat than a cross flow Oil to Air HX.

So it is essentially like having a much bigger surface area of oil to air radiator to reject the heat. Since water has 4 times the specific heat capacity than air there is an advantage in rejecting the heat in the oil to the water. It is also a lot more consistent since the dT between the oil and water can be managed much more consistently.

The heat in the water is then rejected to the ambient air. Since the equation for convective heat transfer is Q=Hc.A.dT, as the outdoor temperature rises the engine will run hotter to a point, from there the dT will start to diminish. To keep below dangerous temps you can either add more surface area (like Hot Climate pack on M-Sport in US) or since Q=M.Cp.dT you can increase mass flow rate to reject the same amount of heat.

Surface area is obviously tough to increase (past that of the M-Sport Hot Climate pack) so that leaves mass flow, and not much can really be done there.

I guess an oil cooler could be added, but it may not really do much to reduce the oil temp, based in this system design and the operating points. Also since the oil temp is tightly controlled based on water temp and load, adding an oil cooler (oil to air HX) may mess with the control algorithm. Installation would have to be right. You would hate to be confusing the ECU and have it think the oil temp is actually cooler than it really is, and reduce the heat rejected to the water circuit.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 09:52 AM   #8
Marshalltj
Private First Class
Rep

I'll have to look on etk.cc to see what parts would be required to retrofit the oil to water cooler.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 10:00 AM   #9
LittleBlackHawk
Rep

Hi interesting points. So even when installing the M-Sport hot climate extra coolers also need to code the ECU for these mods right? By the way, what is the extra radiator used for in a M-sport hot climate version? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 01:40 PM   #10
Stubok
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshalltj
I'll have to look on etk.cc to see what parts would be required to retrofit the oil to water cooler.
It's already fitted you shouldn't need to do anything.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 01:42 PM   #11
Stubok
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlackHawk
Hi interesting points. So even when installing the M-Sport hot climate extra coolers also need to code the ECU for these mods right? By the way, what is the extra radiator used for in a M-sport hot climate version? Thanks.
I have no idea about retrofitting the hot climate pack. Check realoem for the difference in parts and piping. It may be a huge job replacing the piping network so the hot climate add on radiator can be installed. Plus engine management etc.

The extra radiator just adds more surface area (ie heat rejection capacity). Since the dT reduces in hot climates the surface area must go up to match the overall Q.

I believe it is piped close to the transmission fluid heat exchanger. Yes there is another HX that takes the transmission fluid and rejects it's heat also to the water cooling system. So maybe the extra rad just helps keep the trans a little cooler.

There is a schematics on f30post or here somewhere of the different setups and how they all operate.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 09:55 AM   #12
Marshalltj
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubok View Post
I don't have an M-sport model, so it is not fitted. This was further confirmed when I replaced my front bumper.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 10:24 AM   #13
Stubok
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshalltj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubok View Post
I don't have an M-sport model, so it is not fitted. This was further confirmed when I replaced my front bumper.
The oil cooler is the lump (oil to water plate heat exchanger) on the oil filter. The extra radiator is the added water cooling surface area I was talking about.
Appreciate 0