F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Windshield replacement question....
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
JamesMA
First Lieutenant
JamesMA's Avatar
12
Rep
309
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Windshield replacement question....

Hey all, I originally posted this on the X5 forum, but decided that I would like people's input here to if that is OK as this should apply to any BMW:

"Hey all, just picked up a new to us '10 X5 35D for the Mrs. CPO from my local dealer. We did a plate transfer so we could just drive off the lot etc and we noticed a crack / chip in the wind shield a short while later while driving (it was raining when we picked it up so it did not immediately jump out at us). I let me CA know immediately and he said that they would take care of it.

So we dropped that car off the other day and picked it up the next morning with a new windshield. I just noticed that the replacement does not have a BMW sticker on it like every other BMW windshield I have ever seen, but instead some other company info on it.

Is this normal for a dealer replaced windshield? Do you only get a BMW windshield from the factory? I naturally (I thought anyway) that by having this done by the dealer that I would get a new factory windshield that would be marked just like the old one.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience on this before I bitch to my CA?

Thanks in advance."

Any thoughts on whether I should push this?
__________________
2013 F30 335i 6MT M-Sport - Blk Saph. / Beige Lthr / Wood Tr. - Tech Pk - VSS M-Adp. Susp. M-Perf Stainless Exhaust M-Perf. brakes
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
3
Rep
238
Posts

 
Drives: '13 BMW 335i M-Sport EB-II
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Miami Beach

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMA View Post
Hey all, I originally posted this on the X5 forum, but decided that I would like people's input here to if that is OK as this should apply to any BMW:

"Hey all, just picked up a new to us '10 X5 35D for the Mrs. CPO from my local dealer. We did a plate transfer so we could just drive off the lot etc and we noticed a crack / chip in the wind shield a short while later while driving (it was raining when we picked it up so it did not immediately jump out at us). I let me CA know immediately and he said that they would take care of it.

So we dropped that car off the other day and picked it up the next morning with a new windshield. I just noticed that the replacement does not have a BMW sticker on it like every other BMW windshield I have ever seen, but instead some other company info on it.

Is this normal for a dealer replaced windshield? Do you only get a BMW windshield from the factory? I naturally (I thought anyway) that by having this done by the dealer that I would get a new factory windshield that would be marked just like the old one.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience on this before I bitch to my CA?

Thanks in advance."

Any thoughts on whether I should push this?

Had my 10-year-old Mustang windshield replaced recently, covered by insurance. They came to me to replace the windshield, did it in my parking garage in under an hour, and used a brand new OEM windshield with the pony silk screen near the top.

Considering the service I got on a ten-year-old Ford, I would *definitely* make a stink about the dealer using a non-OEM windshield for a late-model BMW!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 01:53 AM   #3
RobUK
Major
RobUK's Avatar
United Kingdom
21
Rep
1,100
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i Lux' 8SAT, Red
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sussex, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Wonder if they sourced a cheaper after-market screen to save themselves a few $ on the cost of an OEM screen?
__________________

2012 F30 328i Lux', 8SAT, Melbourne Red
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 04:26 AM   #4
JamesMA
First Lieutenant
JamesMA's Avatar
12
Rep
309
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Hmm, i am starting to think they did this either to save $ or to be able to turn the repair around faster as we picked up the car on avFriday and they were abke to fix on Monday (probably did not have any OEM windshields in stock).
__________________
2013 F30 335i 6MT M-Sport - Blk Saph. / Beige Lthr / Wood Tr. - Tech Pk - VSS M-Adp. Susp. M-Perf Stainless Exhaust M-Perf. brakes
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
pjm
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
230
Posts

 
Drives: women wild
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Albany, NY

iTrader: (0)

Chances are your windshield is made by an OE supplier like Pilkington or Sekurit. Just doesn't have the BMW roundel on it.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
The X Men
Colonel
27
Rep
2,013
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Chances are, the dealer just sub out the work to a windshield replacement company. Most of the time, you need to ask for oem glass because the oem glass is a lot more expensive. On that note, if the new windshield is a Pilkington, PPG or Sekurit, I would just leave it, they are just as good as oem.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
JUSKIDN
Lieutenant
JUSKIDN's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
562
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 EBII 328i M Sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

iTrader: (0)

I wonder if the windshield has some type on sensor on it for the auto windshield wipers or how does that even work?
__________________
It's not illegal. It's frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 12:48 AM   #8
Micleg
F31 320d msport w/HUD
Sweden
10
Rep
302
Posts

 
Drives: 320d F31 m, 520d F11 m
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sweden, Linköping

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSKIDN View Post
I wonder if the windshield has some type on sensor on it for the auto windshield wipers or how does that even work?
Yes, the rain sensor has a part that is glued to the windshield and that part is exchanged with the windshield.

My dealer told me to get my windshield replaced at their shop, otherwise I won't get a BMW windshield. Quite correct since all the other I have replaced have Pilkington written on them. Now I am getting an F31 with HUD and that windshield has silver in it to reflect the image better so I am more or less forced to get it from BMW when the rocks have cracked it.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 01:40 AM   #9
rjberry
Captain
rjberry's Avatar
United Kingdom
20
Rep
768
Posts

 
Drives: M5 Singapore Grey
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Wales

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 M5  [4.50]
I am currently waiting on a new windshield after a stone hit 2 weeks ago. The screen has had to be ordered in and is due to arrive the middle of next week.

As the crack is on the passenger side it's no big deal. Apparently if it had been on the driver side they'd have put in a temporary replacement as the crack being in the field of vision would have been unsafe.
__________________
M5 Singapore Grey with Sakhir Orange interior
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #10
JUSKIDN
Lieutenant
JUSKIDN's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
562
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 EBII 328i M Sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

iTrader: (0)

kinda forces you to go with BMW
__________________
It's not illegal. It's frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #11
AZ330FZL
First Lieutenant
United_States
10
Rep
307
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan Sport Line
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMA
Hmm, i am starting to think they did this either to save $ or to be able to turn the repair around faster as we picked up the car on avFriday and they were abke to fix on Monday (probably did not have any OEM windshields in stock).
could be what they did. I had a windshield replaced with OEM glass and it took almost a week to get. Another member was trying to get a replacement done for a crack in their windshield about 3 or so weeks ago and said they didn't have any OEM glass available in the US and he was going to have to wait 4-6 weeks for replacement. probably the dealer trying to turn things around quickly. I'd go back and ask for OEM as soon as they can get it to you. Probably saved them some cashe too since I have seen anywhere from $1200-$1800 quoted for retail cost on BMW windshields (HUD style). Best of luck with the situation.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST