F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Windshield replacement question....
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
JamesMA
First Lieutenant
 
JamesMA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: MA

Posts: 307
iTrader: (0)

Windshield replacement question....

Hey all, I originally posted this on the X5 forum, but decided that I would like people's input here to if that is OK as this should apply to any BMW:

"Hey all, just picked up a new to us '10 X5 35D for the Mrs. CPO from my local dealer. We did a plate transfer so we could just drive off the lot etc and we noticed a crack / chip in the wind shield a short while later while driving (it was raining when we picked it up so it did not immediately jump out at us). I let me CA know immediately and he said that they would take care of it.

So we dropped that car off the other day and picked it up the next morning with a new windshield. I just noticed that the replacement does not have a BMW sticker on it like every other BMW windshield I have ever seen, but instead some other company info on it.

Is this normal for a dealer replaced windshield? Do you only get a BMW windshield from the factory? I naturally (I thought anyway) that by having this done by the dealer that I would get a new factory windshield that would be marked just like the old one.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience on this before I bitch to my CA?

Thanks in advance."

Any thoughts on whether I should push this?
__________________
2013 F30 335i 6MT M-Sport - Blk Saph. / Beige Lthr / Wood Tr. - Tech Pk - VSS M-Adp. Susp. M-Perf Stainless Exhaust M-Perf. brakes
JamesMA is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: '13 BMW 335i M-Sport EB-II
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Miami Beach

Posts: 238
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMA View Post
Hey all, I originally posted this on the X5 forum, but decided that I would like people's input here to if that is OK as this should apply to any BMW:

"Hey all, just picked up a new to us '10 X5 35D for the Mrs. CPO from my local dealer. We did a plate transfer so we could just drive off the lot etc and we noticed a crack / chip in the wind shield a short while later while driving (it was raining when we picked it up so it did not immediately jump out at us). I let me CA know immediately and he said that they would take care of it.

So we dropped that car off the other day and picked it up the next morning with a new windshield. I just noticed that the replacement does not have a BMW sticker on it like every other BMW windshield I have ever seen, but instead some other company info on it.

Is this normal for a dealer replaced windshield? Do you only get a BMW windshield from the factory? I naturally (I thought anyway) that by having this done by the dealer that I would get a new factory windshield that would be marked just like the old one.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience on this before I bitch to my CA?

Thanks in advance."

Any thoughts on whether I should push this?

Had my 10-year-old Mustang windshield replaced recently, covered by insurance. They came to me to replace the windshield, did it in my parking garage in under an hour, and used a brand new OEM windshield with the pony silk screen near the top.

Considering the service I got on a ten-year-old Ford, I would *definitely* make a stink about the dealer using a non-OEM windshield for a late-model BMW!
EnerJi is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-04-2012, 01:53 AM   #3
RobUK
Major
 
RobUK's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i Lux' 8SAT, Red
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sussex, UK

Posts: 1,100
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Wonder if they sourced a cheaper after-market screen to save themselves a few $ on the cost of an OEM screen?
__________________

2012 F30 328i Lux', 8SAT, Melbourne Red
RobUK is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-04-2012, 04:26 AM   #4
JamesMA
First Lieutenant
 
JamesMA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: MA

Posts: 307
iTrader: (0)

Hmm, i am starting to think they did this either to save $ or to be able to turn the repair around faster as we picked up the car on avFriday and they were abke to fix on Monday (probably did not have any OEM windshields in stock).
__________________
2013 F30 335i 6MT M-Sport - Blk Saph. / Beige Lthr / Wood Tr. - Tech Pk - VSS M-Adp. Susp. M-Perf Stainless Exhaust M-Perf. brakes
JamesMA is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
pjm
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: women wild
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Albany, NY

Posts: 230
iTrader: (0)

Chances are your windshield is made by an OE supplier like Pilkington or Sekurit. Just doesn't have the BMW roundel on it.
pjm is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
The X Men
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA

Posts: 1,965
iTrader: (0)

Chances are, the dealer just sub out the work to a windshield replacement company. Most of the time, you need to ask for oem glass because the oem glass is a lot more expensive. On that note, if the new windshield is a Pilkington, PPG or Sekurit, I would just leave it, they are just as good as oem.
The X Men is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
JUSKIDN
Lieutenant
 
JUSKIDN's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 EBII 328i M Sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Posts: 563
iTrader: (0)

I wonder if the windshield has some type on sensor on it for the auto windshield wipers or how does that even work?
__________________
It's not illegal. It's frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.
JUSKIDN is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-05-2012, 12:48 AM   #8
Micleg
F31 320d msport w/HUD
 
Drives: 320d F31 m, 520d F11 m
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sweden, Linköping

Posts: 302
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSKIDN View Post
I wonder if the windshield has some type on sensor on it for the auto windshield wipers or how does that even work?
Yes, the rain sensor has a part that is glued to the windshield and that part is exchanged with the windshield.

My dealer told me to get my windshield replaced at their shop, otherwise I won't get a BMW windshield. Quite correct since all the other I have replaced have Pilkington written on them. Now I am getting an F31 with HUD and that windshield has silver in it to reflect the image better so I am more or less forced to get it from BMW when the rocks have cracked it.
Micleg is offline   Sweden
0
Reply With Quote
      10-05-2012, 01:40 AM   #9
rjberry
Captain
 
rjberry's Avatar
 
Drives: Moonstone 335d XDrive M Sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Wales

Posts: 690
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I am currently waiting on a new windshield after a stone hit 2 weeks ago. The screen has had to be ordered in and is due to arrive the middle of next week.

As the crack is on the passenger side it's no big deal. Apparently if it had been on the driver side they'd have put in a temporary replacement as the crack being in the field of vision would have been unsafe.
__________________


335d XDrive M Sport Moonstone with Black Merino Leather interior
rjberry is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #10
JUSKIDN
Lieutenant
 
JUSKIDN's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 EBII 328i M Sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Posts: 563
iTrader: (0)

kinda forces you to go with BMW
__________________
It's not illegal. It's frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.
JUSKIDN is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #11
AZ330FZL
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan Sport Line
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Posts: 302
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMA
Hmm, i am starting to think they did this either to save $ or to be able to turn the repair around faster as we picked up the car on avFriday and they were abke to fix on Monday (probably did not have any OEM windshields in stock).
could be what they did. I had a windshield replaced with OEM glass and it took almost a week to get. Another member was trying to get a replacement done for a crack in their windshield about 3 or so weeks ago and said they didn't have any OEM glass available in the US and he was going to have to wait 4-6 weeks for replacement. probably the dealer trying to turn things around quickly. I'd go back and ask for OEM as soon as they can get it to you. Probably saved them some cashe too since I have seen anywhere from $1200-$1800 quoted for retail cost on BMW windshields (HUD style). Best of luck with the situation.
AZ330FZL is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST