F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Those with 285 rear tires, come in!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-27-2015, 03:59 PM   #1
Titan 3
Second Lieutenant
Titan 3's Avatar
50
Rep
294
Posts

Drives: E46 325ci ~ F36 428ix
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Nashville, TN

iTrader: (5)

Those with 285 rear tires, come in!

I just ordered a set of VMB7's with a 245/35 - 285/30 stagger. The ream offsets are an et45. Is anyone having rubbing issues with this wide of a rear tire? I'll be running H&R sports temporarily, but plan to slightly tuck the tires once coilovers hit the market for the Gran Coupe Xdrive.

Thanks in advance for the insight!

Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 12:40 AM   #2
willpower
Private First Class
4
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: 435i
Join Date: May 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

I have VMB5 with hankook evo with that setup.

You'll be fine. I really like the fat tire look too.

I'm on KWV2, it just barely clears. I've been on it and city streets for about 5 months.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 01:15 AM   #3
betlion
Lieutenant
42
Rep
401
Posts

Drives: bmw
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: california

iTrader: (0)

depending on the tire brand

285 might rub, too tall
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 04:36 AM   #4
metrickid
Brigadier General
1598
Rep
3,757
Posts

Drives: -
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: -

iTrader: (0)

Without knowing the wheel width and size (19/20) your ET and tire width means nothing.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 04:23 PM   #5
willpower
Private First Class
4
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: 435i
Join Date: May 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

My 10.5 +45 285 VMB5 just barely fits. I'm pretty low, but not slammed.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 12:21 AM   #6
TurboM
First Lieutenant
TurboM's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
377
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Front - 19X8.5 +40ET & 245/40/19
Rear - 19X9.5 +45ET & 285/35/19

Slightly lowered on Eibach sport springs (~.75" front & 1" rear). No rubbing issues on the rear, although it is VERY close. I have 5mm spacers in the front which pretty much makes for a +35ET in the front and it rubs the inside of the wheel well the tiniest bit only if I turn the wheel all the way one way or the other.

You may need a 5 or 10mm spacer in the front but you didnt specify the width of your wheels which can obviously make a difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 02:54 AM   #7
Titan 3
Second Lieutenant
Titan 3's Avatar
50
Rep
294
Posts

Drives: E46 325ci ~ F36 428ix
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Nashville, TN

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboM View Post
Front - 19X8.5 +40ET & 245/40/19
Rear - 19X9.5 +45ET & 285/35/19

Slightly lowered on Eibach sport springs (~.75" front & 1" rear). No rubbing issues on the rear, although it is VERY close. I have 5mm spacers in the front which pretty much makes for a +35ET in the front and it rubs the inside of the wheel well the tiniest bit only if I turn the wheel all the way one way or the other.

You may need a 5 or 10mm spacer in the front but you didnt specify the width of your wheels which can obviously make a difference.
Thanks for the insight. 20x9 245/35/20 et35 on the front, and 20x10.5 285/30/20 et 45 in the rear. The car is an F36.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 10:33 AM   #8
Hernandiaz11
Banned
29
Rep
282
Posts

Drives: 2014 435i M-Sport 6-Speed
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (3)

If I had to guess I would say they will probably rub. all 4 tires are about 3/4" taller than stock. With those wheels you should have:

Front: 245/30 R20
Rear: 285/25 R20

I'm not saying the above sizes won't rub, but you definitely have a better chance.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 11:44 AM   #9
kyleb350
Brigadier General
kyleb350's Avatar
United_States
76
Rep
4,317
Posts

Drives: F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: LoMbard, IL

iTrader: (6)

Since you have xDrive, OP, be sure your tire diameters between your fronts and rears don't have >3% difference (I think it was).
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 12:57 PM   #10
Jimminez
Captain
Jimminez's Avatar
Canada
99
Rep
681
Posts

Drives: 2014 F31 M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
Since you have xDrive, OP, be sure your tire diameters between your fronts and rears don't have >3% difference (I think it was).
The difference between the front and rears should be <1% (for awd vehicles) while you're largest diameter should be <3% from stock.
__________________
Martin

Past - F31 M Sport Estoril Blue - Thread - Pic
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 02:57 PM   #11
JarleM3turbo
Private
8
Rep
84
Posts

Drives: 328i Xdrive Touring
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Norway

iTrader: (0)

Im running 245/30/20 and 285/25/20
Wheels are 9x20 ET 35 and 11x20 ET 48. No rubbing.

Lowered with H&R springs.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 03:10 PM   #12
Polo08816
Lieutenant Colonel
300
Rep
1,730
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan 3 View Post
I just ordered a set of VMB7's with a 245/35 - 285/30 stagger. The ream offsets are an et45. Is anyone having rubbing issues with this wide of a rear tire? I'll be running H&R sports temporarily, but plan to slightly tuck the tires once coilovers hit the market for the Gran Coupe Xdrive.

Thanks in advance for the insight!

Mike
Does the car even have enough power/torque to make 285's necessary?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 03:26 PM   #13
kyleb350
Brigadier General
kyleb350's Avatar
United_States
76
Rep
4,317
Posts

Drives: F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: LoMbard, IL

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Does the car even have enough power/torque to make 285's necessary?
No, not really, especially with xDrive. And with 285's, your wheel and tire combo is most likely going to be heavier than stock (unless you spend the big bucks).

I'm guessing he's just going for looks.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 03:33 PM   #14
Titan 3
Second Lieutenant
Titan 3's Avatar
50
Rep
294
Posts

Drives: E46 325ci ~ F36 428ix
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Nashville, TN

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
No, not really, especially with xDrive. And with 285's, your wheel and tire combo is most likely going to be heavier than stock (unless you spend the big bucks).

I'm guessing he's just going for looks.
Yeah, just enjoy the look of an aggressive stagger. The 245/285 combination in Bridgestone RE760's are identical in diameter, and if I drop to a 275 it's well within the 1% range. The 760's are notoriously small tires, so a 275 on a 10.5" seems like it would look a bit stretched.

I really don't want to deal with rubbing though... I'm getting too old to explain it to passengers. lol
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 03:53 PM   #15
Jimminez
Captain
Jimminez's Avatar
Canada
99
Rep
681
Posts

Drives: 2014 F31 M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan 3 View Post
Yeah, just enjoy the look of an aggressive stagger. The 245/285 combination in Bridgestone RE760's are identical in diameter, and if I drop to a 275 it's well within the 1% range. The 760's are notoriously small tires, so a 275 on a 10.5" seems like it would look a bit stretched.

I really don't want to deal with rubbing though... I'm getting too old to explain it to passengers. lol
And notoriously heavy. I had a set a few years ago and when I switched to PS2, it made a difference and feel in handling with a difference of 4 lb per tire.

RE760 weigh in at 29 and 31 lb, while tires like the Hankook or Pirelli are 25 and 27 lb (26 for Pirelli).

In the grand scheme of things, it's not huge, but I figure I'd point out the difference if you still had a choice, especially since now that heavier weight is pushed out even further up-sizing to a larger wheel diameter.
__________________
Martin

Past - F31 M Sport Estoril Blue - Thread - Pic
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 04:11 PM   #16
Titan 3
Second Lieutenant
Titan 3's Avatar
50
Rep
294
Posts

Drives: E46 325ci ~ F36 428ix
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Nashville, TN

iTrader: (5)

Totally just panicked and went down to a 275. I had the 760's on my E92 and really enjoyed the look and drive of the tire. I'm not too concerned with the extra weight... This car is just getting me to work and back. I'm putting a tune on it to get a little more power out of it, but not expecting much.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 04:22 PM   #17
bobbydigital
Lieutenant
United_States
65
Rep
498
Posts

Drives: 2015 BWM 435GC
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Make sure you post photos once they are mounted!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 05:09 PM   #18
Dippydo
Major
86
Rep
1,334
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW F30
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Eden Prairie

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW  [0.50]
275 is not a stretch really. Slight roll, but by no means a stretch.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 05:13 PM   #19
Titan 3
Second Lieutenant
Titan 3's Avatar
50
Rep
294
Posts

Drives: E46 325ci ~ F36 428ix
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Nashville, TN

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
275 is not a stretch really. Slight roll, but by no means a stretch.
Pics coming soon!

Thanks for the insight on the 275's... I'm betting it's the better answer.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 10:51 AM   #20
Titan 3
Second Lieutenant
Titan 3's Avatar
50
Rep
294
Posts

Drives: E46 325ci ~ F36 428ix
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Nashville, TN

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan 3 View Post
Pics coming soon!

Thanks for the insight on the 275's... I'm betting it's the better answer.

The wheels are shipping today from Cali! Stay tuned for pics in the next few days.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 11:26 AM   #21
obriennathaniel
Captain
obriennathaniel's Avatar
United_States
156
Rep
715
Posts

Drives: 582whp/596wtq '13 335i
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Houston,Tx ig:obriennathaniel_f30

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Does the car even have enough power/torque to make 285's necessary?
I lose traction with my 285's, I wish I could go bigger. But I'm also FBO
__________________

CG Precision VS-1 Exhaust\DR-1 DownPipe | PS2 Turbo\Inlet | PDU PI w/Fuel-it platinum kit & E sensor | GFB DV+ Diverter Valve | JB4/Eurocharged tune | Full E85 | ATM FMIC | ER Chargepipe Inlet/Outlet | AFE Intake | BC Coilovers | PSS 245/35-285/30 AvantGarde F310 20x9.5 35 & 20x10.5 45 | Osram Xenarc | LED retro | AWRON digital AC gauge|
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:38 AM.




f30post
f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST