F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Jack points for a 2012 328i
MINHS Auto Care Center
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
ralper
New Jersey's Favorite Son
ralper's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
11
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Randolph, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Jack points for a 2012 328i

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Where are the jack points for a 2012 328i? Thanks for any help.
__________________
2012 BMW 328i Sport Edition Imperial Blue
2002 Honda S2000 Sebring Silver/Black
2006 Honda Si Alabaster Silver/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
boltjames
Banned
6
Rep
533
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Luxury
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)



Between the sun visors, just ahead of the rear view mirror.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
Puri1
First Lieutenant
Puri1's Avatar
Canada
7
Rep
337
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i 2012
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Mississauga, Canada

iTrader: (0)

What's a jack point?
__________________
2012 F30 328i, Alpine White on Black, Luxury, Premium + Exec. Package...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
ralper
New Jersey's Favorite Son
ralper's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
11
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Randolph, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post


Between the sun visors, just ahead of the rear view mirror.

BJ
Thanks but that's not what I'm looking for. I want to change my summer tires for winter tires and want to know where th proper place to put the jack, underneath the car is.

Much to my surprise there is very little information in the owners manual concerning maintenance for those of us who like to do some of it ourselves. I've been driving sports cars and sports sedans for the better part of 40 years and have always taken care of them, to the extent of my ability, myself. It's a hobby with me. My 328i is the first car I've ever owned that doesn't appear to be user friendly to anyone who wants to do anything for himself.

Part of the fun of owning and driving a sports car or sports sedan is taking care of it yourself.

A jack point, by the way, is the place where you put the jack in order to jack up or elevate the car for tasks like changing a tire.
__________________
2012 BMW 328i Sport Edition Imperial Blue
2002 Honda S2000 Sebring Silver/Black
2006 Honda Si Alabaster Silver/Black

Last edited by ralper; 10-20-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
Elk
Major
12
Rep
1,275
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: *

iTrader: (0)

The two forward jack points (plastic) are just behind the front wheels and the rears just forward of the rear wheels . They are grooved so you need to either make or buy a jack pad to fir into the grooves of the jack point or you will squish the grooves (not the end of the world).

If You happen to have experience with a later model Corvette and have the pads they will, amusingly, fit quite well.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 10:09 PM   #6
4TW
4TW
4TW's Avatar
United_States
36
Rep
876
Posts

 
Drives: F82 M4
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (2)

youll see them, look under the car, about 8in towards the middle of the car from rear wheel well
__________________
Current: F82 M4 | AW | DCT
Sold: E92 M3 | AW | ZCP | DCT | Modecarbon | HRE | iPe Innotech | KW V3 | BPM
Sold: F30 335i | EBII | 6MT | M-Sport | Adv.1 Wheels | BC Coils
Sold: F30 335i | Jet Black | 8AT | 1M Bumper | Slek | GT Haus | H&R | MORR
Check out @bmwgram on instagram!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #7
ralper
New Jersey's Favorite Son
ralper's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
11
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Randolph, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
The two forward jack points (plastic) are just behind the front wheels and the rears just forward of the rear wheels . They are grooved so you need to either make or buy a jack pad to fir into the grooves of the jack point or you will squish the grooves (not the end of the world).

If You happen to have experience with a later model Corvette and have the pads they will, amusingly, fit quite well.
Thank you. That's what I wanted to know.

I saw some ads for the jack pads but didn't realize that I needed them. Thank you for the info.
__________________
2012 BMW 328i Sport Edition Imperial Blue
2002 Honda S2000 Sebring Silver/Black
2006 Honda Si Alabaster Silver/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
ralper
New Jersey's Favorite Son
ralper's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
11
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Randolph, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alechostig View Post
youll see them, look under the car, about 8in towards the middle of the car from rear wheel well
Thank you. That's the info I was looking for.
__________________
2012 BMW 328i Sport Edition Imperial Blue
2002 Honda S2000 Sebring Silver/Black
2006 Honda Si Alabaster Silver/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
Elk
Major
12
Rep
1,275
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: *

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralper View Post
I saw some ads for the jack pads but didn't realize that I needed them.
Some people just use a hockey puck to provide a spot for a floor jack to lift on the jack point.

I have found so far all I need to is drive the car up on a set of Rhino ramps. This is plenty of room for oil changes. The car is not very low so it is easy to get under. By the way, an oil change on this car is a 10 minute process, literally - very simple.

The first time I use the jack points on the F30 will be swapping on the winter tires. At only 9,000 miles I have not needed to change brake pads, rotors, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #10
ralper
New Jersey's Favorite Son
ralper's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
11
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Randolph, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
Some people just use a hockey puck to provide a spot for a floor jack to lift on the jack point.

I have found so far all I need to is drive the car up on a set of Rhino ramps. This is plenty of room for oil changes. The car is not very low so it is easy to get under. By the way, an oil change on this car is a 10 minute process, literally - very simple.

The first time I use the jack points on the F30 will be swapping on the winter tires. At only 9,000 miles I have not needed to change brake pads, rotors, etc.
I've got 4 homemade ramps that I had to custom make for my S2000. Store bought ramps were too high to fit underneath the car. I'll be using them for things like oil changes and etc. They were very simple to make, a few 2x10s (4 foot and 3 foot) bolted together with ends beveled. Not pretty but they work very well.

Like you, I'll be using the jack points to swap out the summer tires for winter tires.

The hockey puck sounds like a real good idea. Thanks. I'd never have thought of it.
__________________
2012 BMW 328i Sport Edition Imperial Blue
2002 Honda S2000 Sebring Silver/Black
2006 Honda Si Alabaster Silver/Black
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST