F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Sport Line order vs M Sport Order
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-26-2012, 12:09 AM   #45
AntBabeee
Lieutenant
United_States
14

 
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA


Posts: 583
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I'll take the Sportline rear bumper with the M-Sport front bumper... I went with sportline because of the rear bumper on the M-Sport. Too boxy looking.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #46
snowghost
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
26

 
snowghost's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal


Posts: 1,920
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
An inch made all the difference: me either hating the ride and the car or loving it. I've driven one with 19" wheels + Adaptive Suspenders and could not stand it. It was noisier, the steering was not as sweet, the ride rough and jiggley and it tramlined a bit more. Sometimes beauty can be a pain in the arse!
I didn't even drive the F30 before ordering one (my 4th BMW and 3rd 3er). But my M3 has 19s and I was so ready to get 18s on the 335i. They look fine to me and the handling is very nice--even with the vilified RFTs.
__________________
F30 Sapphire Black 335i 6MT|2PE|4AB|LCSW|ZDH|ZMM|ZPP|ZCW|ZDA|ZDB|ZTP|5AC|4 15|688|Dinan Stage 1 Suspension and Shockware ECU tune
Previously - F30 335i, E46 M3, E39 530i, E46 325i
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #47
Dabaitu
Colonel
Australia
50

 
Drives: anything given a chance
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: .au


Posts: 2,962
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGone View Post
You get what you like. I like both the M Sport and Sportline, but when it came down to buying the car, I went with the Sportline. I like the look, I like the foglights, and the MSPort was only cosmetic changes with no aerodynamic advantage, and no power or handling advantages. I wasn't trying to skimp, I put on about $14k in options, MSport just didn't warrant the extra expense for me. Its tough to read in here those that criticize any choice but going with the MSport. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and so is the cash. In my case, when I buy another BMW, I'm going with the real M,...M3 or M5. I am sure you will love whatever you choose.
+1, well said.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #48
LongGone
Aggressive Driver
United_States
0

 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: PA


Posts: 37
iTrader: (0)

Thanks Dabaitu
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 01:30 PM   #49
JK479
Lieutenant
27

 
Drives: 8 Speed Auto Bimmer
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Anywhere


Posts: 576
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibawal View Post
It was too tough for me too;( but finally color choice helped!
which color did you go for? Is Mineral Gray essentially the lower color on the M sport?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 01:34 PM   #50
JK479
Lieutenant
27

 
Drives: 8 Speed Auto Bimmer
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Anywhere


Posts: 576
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean10mm View Post
You can get anthracite wood on a Sport, which also gets rid of the colored trim bit, and the gray seats get rid of the red stitching. Looks pretty great IMO.
Sean, did you go for this combo. I am intrigued by the Gray Seats. IS Anthracite really black. looks brownish in some pictures.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 02:27 PM   #51
dzaborn
Private
United_States
0

 
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i F30
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL


Posts: 89
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post
Sean, did you go for this combo. I am intrigued by the Gray Seats. IS Anthracite really black. looks brownish in some pictures.
The Anthracite does look brown in the BMW configurator, but it does not have any brown color to it at all. It is really really nice looking.
__________________
2013 BMW 328i Sedan | Mojave Metallic Modern Line
Premium | Technology | Lighting | Rear View Camera | PDC | Harman Kardon | Heated Front Seats | 8AT
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #52
omarliendo
Private First Class
United_States
6

 
Drives: 2012 335i Sport Line - Red
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA


Posts: 114
iTrader: (0)

M Sport!! If I could do it all over again, I would go with M Sport. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my Sport but I think that the bumpers in the M gives the car an even more beautiful look!
__________________
Omar Liendo
Atlanta,GA
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 03:44 AM   #53
Cfichman
Private First Class
3

 
Drives: F30 335i AW M Sport
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Miami/Orlando


Posts: 106
iTrader: (0)

Multiple BMW enthusiasts have told me they hated the f30 until they saw my AW m sport
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #54
JK479
Lieutenant
27

 
Drives: 8 Speed Auto Bimmer
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Anywhere


Posts: 576
iTrader: (0)

But does the M Sport cross the line from a regular BMW to an M with the looks but not the true hand built engine only an M3 can have.

I wish the M3 and M sport would have a different look. BUt judging from the 550M sport and M5, it bears a very familiar resemblance.

Thats why i tend to sway closer to sportline. Although i like the M sport 335i. I sort of wish they'd get ride of the m logo on the wheel and the stick shift. Since its not really an M3.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #55
JK479
Lieutenant
27

 
Drives: 8 Speed Auto Bimmer
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Anywhere


Posts: 576
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzaborn View Post
The Anthracite does look brown in the BMW configurator, but it does not have any brown color to it at all. It is really really nice looking.
A few pictures online show the anthracite wood does have a fair hint of brown to it.

I prefer the Burl. Again if BMW truly let us pick and choice there would be a lot more happy campers out there!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 03:29 AM   #56
pkimM3r
Banned
92

 
pkimM3r's Avatar
 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles


Posts: 7,321
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by john08135i
Yea a few people here especially an M3 owner gives me a hard time about it not being an M car.. look it has the M accessories pieces and the new M3 will look very similar so i am happy.
Msport will not even come close to the new m3.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #57
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
43

 
shivaswrath's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lost in NJ


Posts: 3,119
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinf79
You're probably the first person (who had the choice) that "prefers" the non-M sport bumper. I found the M Sport much more asthetically pleasing to the eye ... but hey, that's why there's choice.
I don't like it either...a primary reason I went no line.
It's too....prominent and M3-ish.
It felt like an M3-wannabe...
__________________
2012 335i Mineral Gray
M Performance Whore: PPK|Exhaust|Brakes|Performance Suspension Struts & Springs|LSD|Black Kidney Grilles|CF Spoiler and Mirror Caps|Bav Stage 1|400Ms|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #58
SamS
Brigadier General
61

 
SamS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX


Posts: 4,551
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
It felt like an M3-wannabe...
Ya can't be an M3-wannabe when there's no sedan M3 to buy right now
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #59
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
43

 
shivaswrath's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lost in NJ


Posts: 3,119
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaitu
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGone View Post
You get what you like. I like both the M Sport and Sportline, but when it came down to buying the car, I went with the Sportline. I like the look, I like the foglights, and the MSPort was only cosmetic changes with no aerodynamic advantage, and no power or handling advantages. I wasn't trying to skimp, I put on about $14k in options, MSport just didn't warrant the extra expense for me. Its tough to read in here those that criticize any choice but going with the MSport. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and so is the cash. In my case, when I buy another BMW, I'm going with the real M,...M3 or M5. I am sure you will love whatever you choose.
+1, well said.
So true.
I wanted to put the cash difference into parts to make it better than an M without the visual giveaway of being something. Sleeper.
__________________
2012 335i Mineral Gray
M Performance Whore: PPK|Exhaust|Brakes|Performance Suspension Struts & Springs|LSD|Black Kidney Grilles|CF Spoiler and Mirror Caps|Bav Stage 1|400Ms|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 07:01 PM   #60
schnell13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
4

 
schnell13's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Beach


Posts: 244
iTrader: (0)

Jamesons Viggen is absolutely correct. BMW has been making M-Sport and M-Technic vehicles for a few decades now. They were all just very rare here in the States, but older examples are out there. About 11 years ago, I found a 1999 M-Technic 318ti at Porsche of San Antonio. Le Mans blue, period M3 Comp wheels, and M3 steering wheel, body kit and suspension. Such a cool little track rat that would have been! I'm still kicking myself to this day for not bringing it home.

I loved the F30 when I saw it, and initially ordered mine as a Sport Line. However, I changed my order to the M-Sport. I liked the cleaner, more aggressive lines of the M body kit much better than the Sport Line, and I liked the way the M steering wheel looks as opposed to the Sport Line.

I thought about the M3 too, but didn't want to deal with the poor gas mileage or maintenance issues associated with the race engine. With the 335i M-Sport, I have the clean, aggressive lines of the M3, good performance that can easily be brought to the level of an M3, all while not having the issues of using an M3 as a daily driver.

Furthermore, It's not an M3 wannabe; that would be either a C63 AMG or Lexus IS-F.
__________________
Individual Order 2013 335i M-Sport through BMW Military Sales / Mineral Grey / Coral Red / 4MR / ZMM / ZPP / ZTP / ZDH / 2TB / 494 / 688 / ///M Performance / ///M5 Blue Brakes / K&N / aFe / H&R / Turner Motorsports / SportLine Wheels / Details, details, details...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #61
JK479
Lieutenant
27

 
Drives: 8 Speed Auto Bimmer
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Anywhere


Posts: 576
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell13 View Post
Jamesons Viggen is absolutely correct. BMW has been making M-Sport and M-Technic vehicles for a few decades now. They were all just very rare here in the States, but older examples are out there. About 11 years ago, I found a 1999 M-Technic 318ti at Porsche of San Antonio. Le Mans blue, period M3 Comp wheels, and M3 steering wheel, body kit and suspension. Such a cool little track rat that would have been! I'm still kicking myself to this day for not bringing it home.

I loved the F30 when I saw it, and initially ordered mine as a Sport Line. However, I changed my order to the M-Sport. I liked the cleaner, more aggressive lines of the M body kit much better than the Sport Line, and I liked the way the M steering wheel looks as opposed to the Sport Line.

I thought about the M3 too, but didn't want to deal with the poor gas mileage or maintenance issues associated with the race engine. With the 335i M-Sport, I have the clean, aggressive lines of the M3, good performance that can easily be brought to the level of an M3, all while not having the issues of using an M3 as a daily driver.

Furthermore, It's not an M3 wannabe; that would be either a C63 AMG or Lexus IS-F.
This is a very strong argument to order the m sport. BMW is offering some great enhancements and the next M3 will most likely be less efficient than the 335i. I'd gladly take the extras of the m sport line. Maybe call it BMW Sport. Something where the M is left for just the M3 or M4. Still I am starting to like the look and as long as I dont listen to the naysayers who say an m sport is posing, I think i might go for it...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #62
azzurro
First Lieutenant
United_States
5

 
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Del Mar, CA


Posts: 398
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by john08135i View Post
Yea a few people here especially an M3 owner gives me a hard time about it not being an M car.. look it has the M accessories pieces and the new M3 will look very similar so i am happy.
The M3 buyers can't stand it they've paid way more for a car that isn't much different than the F30. With an upgraded chip, our cars performance wise will ne M3 like for way less money. So be it..they need to get over it.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #63
azzurro
First Lieutenant
United_States
5

 
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Del Mar, CA


Posts: 398
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Ya can't be an M3-wannabe when there's no sedan M3 to buy right now
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #64
SamS
Brigadier General
61

 
SamS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX


Posts: 4,551
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurro View Post
The M3 buyers can't stand it they've paid way more for a car that isn't much different than the F30. With an upgraded chip, our cars performance wise will ne M3 like for way less money. So be it..they need to get over it.
An M3 is waaaaaay different than an F30. Even bumping an F30 up 100hp, it still is not similar in the way it handles and drives. Some things, the F30 does better. Some things, the M3 does better.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #65
gthal
Brigadier General
Canada
66

 
gthal's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada


Posts: 3,350
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 M3  [3.37]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
An M3 is waaaaaay different than an F30. Even bumping an F30 up 100hp, it still is not similar in the way it handles and drives. Some things, the F30 does better. Some things, the M3 does better.
+1. Adding more power to the F30 does not make it and M3. Change the bracing, suspension, brakes, diff, power delivery (for track applications), seats and then you have an M3. And probably for a price not way to far off the M3 but now no warranty.
__________________
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | Black Full Merino Leather | DCT
2014 Corvette Stingray | Z51 | Torch Red | 7MT - Sold
2012 MB C63 Coupe | Performance package | Obsidian Black - Sold
2011 E92 M3 | Jerez Black | Fox Red | DCT | Competition Package - Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #66
sean10mm
Private First Class
United_States
1

 
sean10mm's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA


Posts: 195
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurro View Post
The M3 buyers can't stand it they've paid way more for a car that isn't much different than the F30. With an upgraded chip, our cars performance wise will ne M3 like for way less money. So be it..they need to get over it.
Hahaha, no, this is all wrong.

You can't chip an N55 to hit 400+ HP. You'll need, at a minimum, a HFC and full exhaust and custom tune to do that, and nobody even offers that yet. That assumes the stock turbo can even hold boost at high enough RPM to get there, which is a big "if" itself. Hell, the M Performance power kit adds all of 20 HP. That's the "upgraded chip" you're betting so much on.

Then at a minimum you need to add the M Performance suspension and M Performance brakes. Plus a limited slip diff nobody is even offering for the F30 yet.

At this point you've spend maybe $10,000 and voided your warranty.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST