F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > BMW drive day @ Eastern Creek
Extreme Power House

10-03-2014, 03:38 AM   #1
Drew335
Private First Class
Australia

Drives: BMW F30 335i

BMW drive day @ Eastern Creek

I spent the morning at Eastern Creek on Monday as a guest of BMW North Shore on a BMW drive day

It was a great session with us driving the M235i, the 428i and an M4. A fantastic chance to drive these cars at the speeds they were designed for, including a mix of skidpan and track time. This is the second one I have attended, FYI previous post here.

My $0.02 worth is that the M235i is the goods, chuckable and really good fun to punt around on a wet skidpan. The 428i was a nice steer, but coming out of my own F30 335i it is nothing special. The M4 is amazing - looks great, handles well and goes like a mad f--ker. But it lacks the noise and drama of the E90 M3 V8, guess I was expecting more?

Anyway enough words, I've posted some pics and videos below. I had hoped to get some in-car action, except I was too busy driving to film anything!!! Enjoy

Early morning start out of Canberra, passing Lake George at sunrise

Went up with a mate in his 1M, stopping for a splash of fuel

The bus and a taste of things to come...

Nice - the Yas Marina Blue really pops in the sunlight!

Mmmm so many M cars...

Behind the wheel of the M4

The carbon dash looks great, prefer it to the M performance carbon interior kit I've fitted to my 335...

video on the skidpan, an M3 playing around!

video of the cars departing, BTW audio dominated by an M parked next to me

video down the main straight, I maxed out at 220kph in the M4, but it didn't feel that fast!

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 03:47 AM   #2
pauricmcb

Drives: 328i M-Sport en-route from SA

Was there as well, had a great day. Would like to have driven an M3, also would have been better if you could have sat on with the friend you brought along when doing the laps. Was a little frustrating sometimes when stuck behind the slower drivers on the track part. Overall thought, great day out.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 03:50 AM   #3
Drew335
Private First Class
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauricmcb View Post
Was there as well, had a great day. Would like to have driven an M3, also would have been better if you could have sat on with the friend you brought along when doing the laps. Was a little frustrating sometimes when stuck behind the slower drivers on the track part. Overall thought, great day out.
Agree ... when I did the previous session a few years back, you could sit in with your driving partner, it was great. Also no helmets required last time!

You need to move up to the next session (full day) when they really let you loose based on your lap time, so you can escape the slower drivers in front of you.

Still for $300 it was a blast.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 04:25 AM   #4
pauricmcb

What time did you get on the skid pan? Where you in the first or second group on that?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 07:25 AM   #5
jamesp
Enlisted Member
Australia

Drives: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport MG

I was there Monday morning as well, drove my (SA plated) F30 335i M-Sport there and back.

I left thinking I made the right choice in my car, as the M-235i was my favourite for the day, and it handled, drove and sounded very similar to mine, just with less practicality. The M cars were superb but I can't see any way to justify them without a lot of track days, the 335i is like an M3 for every day. The 428i was a lovely handling car but was outclassed by the other cars there.

Great fun. I've done a few track days with Audi and Porsche, and plenty back in my WRX days and would happily do this again (or likely the more advanced day).

I was in the group that did the track first, and of that I was in the 428i first round.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 05:10 PM   #6
Drew335
Private First Class
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauricmcb View Post
What time did you get on the skid pan? Where you in the first or second group on that?
first group on the skidpan, did a 20.1, you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
I left thinking I made the right choice in my car, as the M-235i was my favourite for the day, and it handled, drove and sounded very similar to mine, just with less practicality. The M cars were superb but I can't see any way to justify them without a lot of track days, the 335i is like an M3 for every day. The 428i was a lovely handling car but was outclassed by the other cars there.
agree on all counts, F30 335i is a great balance all round!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 07:07 PM   #7
pauricmcb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
I was there Monday morning as well, drove my (SA plated) F30 335i M-Sport there and back.

Great fun. I've done a few track days with Audi and Porsche, and plenty back in my WRX days and would happily do this again (or likely the more advanced day).

I was in the group that did the track first, and of that I was in the 428i first round.
Nice to meet you at breakfast James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew335 View Post
first group on the skidpan, did a 20.1, you?

agree on all counts, F30 335i is a great balance all round!
First group as well so I guess we bumped into each other, got a 19.64 then my mate beat me straight afterwards!!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 09:48 PM   #8
TWD
Australia

Drives: All sorts of Cars

Did the same thing, except with BMW Sydney

Great day out there driving some fantastic cars. The M235i was pretty agile on the wet pan!

M3 was obviously better in the hands of a professional racing driver and the hot laps really highlight how capable that car is!