F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Xdrive uses EPS?
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
JK479
Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW soon...
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New England

Posts: 568
iTrader: (0)

Xdrive uses EPS?

Does X drive use the same electronic steering or does it get the old hydraulic system?
JK479 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Brigadier General
 
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

Posts: 4,298
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post
Does X drive use the same electronic steering or does it get the old hydraulic system?
EPS in the European models.

HghlandPete
HighlandPete is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
JK479
Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW soon...
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New England

Posts: 568
iTrader: (0)

xdrive ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
EPS in the European models.

HghlandPete
Can anyone chime in that drives F30 in the USA? is your xdrive a hydraulic setup?
JK479 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
howiegu
Member
 
howiegu's Avatar
 
Drives: 13' 335xi Msport
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New England

Posts: 126
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355
Does X drive use the same electronic steering or does it get the old hydraulic system?
ESP for US as well.
howiegu is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
S-Dot
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Luxury
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: near Calgary

Posts: 121
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post
Does X drive use the same electronic steering or does it get the old hydraulic system?
Electric, but not "the same". Different steering box parts for xDrive versus non-xDrive.
S-Dot is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
JK479
Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW soon...
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New England

Posts: 568
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Dot View Post
Electric, but not "the same". Different steering box parts for xDrive versus non-xDrive.
is there a difference in feel? is the xdrive the better drive than the rwd sister model?
JK479 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
Gymkhana
Private
 
Gymkhana's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 E46
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Moscow,Russia

Posts: 53
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post
is there a difference in feel? is the xdrive the better drive than the rwd sister model?
i dont think you'd notice that. Except hard conering. This is where it differs from RWD turn technic )
Still, as a man,that tryed Xdrive after plenty RWD cars - id suggest to go for RWD.
__________________
M3 E46
Best and the sharpest yet
Gymkhana is offline   Russian Federation
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
S-Dot
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Luxury
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: near Calgary

Posts: 121
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post
is there a difference in feel? is the xdrive the better drive than the rwd sister model?
In my opinion, xDrive is NOT the better drive. The rear-wheel drive is a sharper, better-handling vehicle overall. The xDrive isn't BAD, it's just not as good.

And much harder to tail-slide.

I have xDrive because I live at the end of three miles of mud road, and without it I'd never get anywhere.
S-Dot is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
JK479
Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW soon...
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New England

Posts: 568
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Dot View Post
In my opinion, xDrive is NOT the better drive. The rear-wheel drive is a sharper, better-handling vehicle overall. The xDrive isn't BAD, it's just not as good.

And much harder to tail-slide.

I have xDrive because I live at the end of three miles of mud road, and without it I'd never get anywhere.
RWD is generally more interesting. The trade off is more wheel spin on winter days.

Do sandbags really work? adding a few hundred lbs to a truck seems archaic but maybe its smart?
JK479 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #10
SPACEMANRICK
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 335 Xdrive
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: VANCOUVER

Posts: 425
iTrader: (0)

Not sure why anyone would spend $50,000 on a sports sedan and then throw 200 pounds in the trunk for traction? Not sure if you are driving a 335 or 328 but in my 2006 rear wheel drive 330i with only 260 horsepower I would get wheel spin all the time on hard acceleration from a stop in Vancouver's heavy rain and in hilly terrain. The only time I ever experienced wheel spin in my 2008 335xi was on ice and that was only briefly before all 4 tires hooked up.....

Some people in rainy and warm Vancouver prefer winter tires an rear wheel drive but in the last 3 years in Vancouver the Winter has averaged about 40 to 50 degrees farenheit with 2 days of snow.......In Vancouver I find all wheel drive with 300 horsepower much less of a sacrifice than rear wheel drive with winter tires when it is 50 degrees out and raining!
SPACEMANRICK is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #11
Nedmundo
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Philadelphia

Posts: 37
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post
is there a difference in feel? is the xdrive the better drive than the rwd sister model?
I tested a 328i RWD Sport Line in April, and, a couple of weeks ago, a 328i xDrive M-Sport with Variable Sport Steering. That's not exactly back-to-back, but the steering left me with the same impression both times. I suspect that any steering feel advantage from VSS could have been offset by the AWD and non-sport suspension, but, regardless, I don't think there's much if any difference.
Nedmundo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #12
S-Dot
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Luxury
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: near Calgary

Posts: 121
iTrader: (0)

I actually found VSS to have a worse feel. Or more specifically, it had a less natural feeling to me. They felt the same on-center, but moving from on-center to off-center seemed abrupt and not intuitive to me.

Actual feel and feedback was near-identical feeling to me, but I believe they both use virtually the same setup other than different rack gearing.

I agree that there wasn't alot of steering feel difference from non-xDrive to xDrive models until you really pushed things, but once you start sliding tires, the RWD had more luck going where I wanted it to go and how I wanted it to go.

Or maybe I just like on-demand oversteer...
S-Dot is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #13
JK479
Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW soon...
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New England

Posts: 568
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Dot View Post
I actually found VSS to have a worse feel. Or more specifically, it had a less natural feeling to me. They felt the same on-center, but moving from on-center to off-center seemed abrupt and not intuitive to me.

Actual feel and feedback was near-identical feeling to me, but I believe they both use virtually the same setup other than different rack gearing.

I agree that there wasn't alot of steering feel difference from non-xDrive to xDrive models until you really pushed things, but once you start sliding tires, the RWD had more luck going where I wanted it to go and how I wanted it to go.

Or maybe I just like on-demand oversteer...
RWD is fun... and sportier. AWD is a superior traction. In the snow belt, it helps gets you going. I won't turn this into a awd vs rwd debate, but being pushed verses pulled with FWD is always better. My understanding is awd uses RWD bias to begin with.
JK479 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #14
TheObviousChild
First Lieutenant
 
TheObviousChild's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335xi - M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Broomfield, CO

Posts: 363
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post
RWD is fun... and sportier. AWD is a superior traction. In the snow belt, it helps gets you going. I won't turn this into a awd vs rwd debate, but being pushed verses pulled with FWD is always better. My understanding is awd uses RWD bias to begin with.

Yep, this is one of the main reasons I decided to go with Xdrive. In CO, I've gotten stuck a couple of times in my RWD 328. Wanted to go with Xdrive with my 335, but was concerned I'd be giving up the RWD feel.

Turns out Xdrive is biased to the rear by about a 60/40 ratio.
__________________
2013 BMW 335xi EBII over Coral Red / ///M sport / Premium / Cold Weather / 6MT / Nav / Dynamic Handling / HK audio
Previous: 2010 328i / MT
Previous: 2007 328i / AT (boo)
Previous: 2004 325i / MT
TheObviousChild is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST