F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Any xdrive reviews out there?
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-26-2012, 03:50 AM   #1
no golf clubs
Private First Class
 
Drives: F25 2.0d SE Titanium Silver
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Scotland

Posts: 144
iTrader: (0)

Any xdrive reviews out there?

Going to get myself into an f30 soon but I am not sure whether to opt for the xdrive or not.

I live in Scotland 4 wheel drive would be pretty useful, I have done some searching for real world reviews of the xdrive in action but can't really find anything.

Can anyone point me to one or care to share any of their own experiences?
no golf clubs is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-26-2012, 04:06 AM   #2
UK_
First Lieutenant
 
UK_'s Avatar
 
Drives: M4 Convertible on order
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 330
iTrader: (0)

I ordered xdrive, no demos to try but drove the 2.0 petrol engine which was great. My decision based on always having had Quattro and from you tube xdrive looks immense and far better at transferring power to get you moving. Went skiing in Canada last year and all the locals swore on xdrive.

Not much of a review but hope that helps.
UK_ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-26-2012, 04:13 AM   #3
UK_
First Lieutenant
 
UK_'s Avatar
 
Drives: M4 Convertible on order
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 330
iTrader: (0)




These might help
UK_ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-26-2012, 07:10 AM   #4
no golf clubs
Private First Class
 
Drives: F25 2.0d SE Titanium Silver
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Scotland

Posts: 144
iTrader: (0)

Love the second clip there. Thank you.

I think if I order without it I'd kick myself.

Hopefully some reviews will come in soon.
no golf clubs is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
UK_
First Lieutenant
 
UK_'s Avatar
 
Drives: M4 Convertible on order
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 330
iTrader: (0)

Totally with you, I took the plunge slightly blind but compromised on engine choice
for xdrive. Hope it is as good as Quattro or I'll
Kick myself.
UK_ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
davyk31
Brigadier General
 
Drives: Audi SQ5 & Golf GTD
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern Ireland

Posts: 4,284
iTrader: (0)

Xdrive will still need decent winter tyres to keep you safe and moving. With those on and 4 wheel drive it has to be decent option.
davyk31 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
UK_
First Lieutenant
 
UK_'s Avatar
 
Drives: M4 Convertible on order
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 330
iTrader: (0)

Never bothered with special tyres on my audis and don't intend to now either as not planning on anything extreme just reassurance on slippery surfaces
UK_ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
UK_
First Lieutenant
 
UK_'s Avatar
 
Drives: M4 Convertible on order
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 330
iTrader: (0)

I know the xdrive debate divides more than the any other option but this video is uber cool and highly impressive. Two things came to my mind-
1.I doubt winter tyres RWD would match it combined with plenty of driver skill.
2. Being a motoring journalist is indeed my dream job.

Anyway, enjoy


UK_ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #9
HighlandPete
Brigadier General
 
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

Posts: 4,231
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rb79 View Post
Never bothered with special tyres on my audis and don't intend to now either as not planning on anything extreme just reassurance on slippery surfaces
Seriously.... what tyres do you intend to use? Not summer tyres?

A RWD BMW on winter tyres will be much more secure on the road than a xDrive on summer tyres, even better than an xDrive on all season tyres.

xDrive does not add any stopping power, and very little extra control above a RWD. It is tyres that makes the biggest difference in slippery conditions.

HighlandPete
HighlandPete is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
UK_
First Lieutenant
 
UK_'s Avatar
 
Drives: M4 Convertible on order
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 330
iTrader: (0)

I am sorry but totally disagree with you about RWD being comparable for grip. Every other manufacturer promotes their four wheel drive system on the basis of safety and control eg Audi. But for seem reason it seems many UK BMW owners feel RWD is the safer option, perhaps because it is the unknown. It is not going to be for everyone but I reckon when they put it into the bigger engines people will spec it more. There has also never been a debate about "what tyres are you going to use on your Quattro?" year on year so, IMHO, if you don't want to mess around with tyres which a lot of people don't in the UK - RWD vs Xdrive is a no brainer (again that is just my opinion).
UK_ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #11
HighlandPete
Brigadier General
 
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

Posts: 4,231
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rb79 View Post
I am sorry but totally disagree with you about RWD being comparable for grip. Every other manufacturer promotes their four wheel drive system on the basis of safety and control eg Audi. But for seem reason it seems many UK BMW owners feel RWD is the safer option, perhaps because it is the unknown. It is not going to be for everyone but I reckon when they put it into the bigger engines people will spec it more. There has also never been a debate about "what tyres are you going to use on your Quattro?" year on year so, IMHO, if you don't want to mess around with tyres which a lot of people don't in the UK - RWD vs Xdrive is a no brainer (again that is just my opinion).
We run all sorts of combinations in the family up here in winter conditions, in our part of the highlands. VW 4-motion, BMW xDrive, VW FWD on winter tyres, my BMW RWD with winter tyres.

My RWD on decent winter tyres out performs all the combinations we have in the family. The second best is the FWD on winter tyres. X3 xDrive would be best if it had winter tyres fitted, but not without. 4-motion on all season tyres is still limited.

My son drives the X3 and when he came in my car on winter tyres, it was a revelation to him on the way the car accelerated, braked and the control I had in snow and on ice.

It is tyre choice that makes the 4x4 the better option in winter conditions, but not necessarily without.

HighlandPete
HighlandPete is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #12
NISFAN
Brigadier General
 
NISFAN's Avatar
 
Drives: The best kind of F30 :)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bedford UK

Posts: 3,510
iTrader: (0)

Rb79, I think you are confusing accelerative traction with grip, they are NOT the same.

An AWD with summer tyres on will most likely not get stuck as easily as a RWD, even with winter tyres on it, but once moving an AWD has the same or less cornering/braking grip as a RWD with the same tyres on.

Many AWD cars end up in ditches too, and more to the point, the RWD driver will feel how slippery conditions are on acceleration, the AWD driver won't get the same sensation and is more likely to overcook it round an icy bend. AWD gives no better grip, and the point I believe Pete was making.
__________________
NISFAN is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      10-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #13
UK_
First Lieutenant
 
UK_'s Avatar
 
Drives: M4 Convertible on order
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 330
iTrader: (0)

I'm not confusing any Nisfan. I love AWD any think its benefits are
many. I do keep saying it is just my opinion.

I think offering it for the F30 is very exciting and us UK buyers are finally able to experience it in non off road models. I've had M cars and have no qualms if people prefer RWD.

I never said a system can beat the laws of physics but that's like saying fitting traction control is more dangerous as people will believe they can't end up in a ditch.
IMHO Imprezas, Evos, RS4/5/6 and 911 turbos are AWD for a reason. It may only be a lowly 320i but I am happy with my choice and hopefully there will be more models to chose in the future.

Last edited by UK_; 10-23-2012 at 06:24 PM.
UK_ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2012, 02:16 AM   #14
HighlandPete
Brigadier General
 
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

Posts: 4,231
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Rb79, I think you are confusing accelerative traction with grip, they are NOT the same.

An AWD with summer tyres on will most likely not get stuck as easily as a RWD, even with winter tyres on it, but once moving an AWD has the same or less cornering/braking grip as a RWD with the same tyres on.

Many AWD cars end up in ditches too, and more to the point, the RWD driver will feel how slippery conditions are on acceleration, the AWD driver won't get the same sensation and is more likely to overcook it round an icy bend. AWD gives no better grip, and the point I believe Pete was making.
Exactly.

If we want to stop and control a car with any form of drivetrain configuration, we need the right rubber for winter conditions.

HighlandPete
HighlandPete is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2012, 02:30 AM   #15
HighlandPete
Brigadier General
 
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

Posts: 4,231
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rb79 View Post
IMHO Imprezas, Evos, RS4/5/6 and 911 turbos are AWD for a reason. It may only be a lowly 320i but I am happy with my choice and hopefully there will be more models to chose in the future.
Of course AWD has its advantages, and there is nothing wrong with a lowly 320i xDrive. I was quite excited when I heard BMW were AT LAST introducing the 3-series xDrive to the UK. Was put on my shopping list.

But on reflection, whatever engine sizing, I'd still need the second wheel set for winter, as I want to stop as well as have grip and traction. I've seen too mant cars including AWD in the ditches, due to the wrong rubber. Often due to drivers believing the AWD is 'invincible' in winter.

You say it is only your opinion, but hopefully a more informed view helps us make best decisions. But please don't assume xDrive is the 'key bit' to better winter driving, it isn't and that is fact, not opinion.

The best option is xDrive with winter cold/weather tyres, the second best choice for a BMW, is RWD with winter tyres.

If the car is xDrive with summer tyres, it is further down the list of options for good winter performance.

There are plenty of informative videos showing this, including BMW xDrive cars on different tyres.

HighlandPete
HighlandPete is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2012, 02:31 AM   #16
UK_
First Lieutenant
 
UK_'s Avatar
 
Drives: M4 Convertible on order
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 330
iTrader: (0)

We don't get the same extremes of winter weather in a southern
English town like you may in the Highlands so don't need to extract every last advantage from rubber selection. The potential day to day benefits of AWD will do me fine. Anyone would think powering all four wheels is a dangerous thing!
As I have said many times before, I've had AWD for many years and love it, providing it is ok to have a different opinion from other forum
members of course?!
UK_ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2012, 02:40 AM   #17
HighlandPete
Brigadier General
 
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

Posts: 4,231
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rb79 View Post
Anyone would think powering all four wheels is a dangerous thing!
To be frank here, my worst fear in winter driving is having a 4X4 behind me, not knowing if the driver can stop. It is very clear by the way they drive, many AWD users believe because they have a 4X4, they have better driving performance including braking, now that is dangerous. And why so many find themselves in ditches.

Perceptions can be very dangerous.....

HighlandPete
HighlandPete is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2012, 02:52 AM   #18
UK_
First Lieutenant
 
UK_'s Avatar
 
Drives: M4 Convertible on order
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 330
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

You say it is only your opinion, but hopefully a more informed view helps us make best decisions. But please don't assume xDrive is the 'key bit' to better winter driving, it isn't and that is fact, not opinion.


HighlandPete

This is getting silly, your opinion is not my fact (rather patronising) and no one said it was 'invincible' if you would have read previous posts. Does 'Informed view' mean your view I assume? Forgive me but a rather cool video has turned into a daft semi-insult campaign.

We live in different areas with different weather and have different needs. Of course tyre choice is fundamental but my choice is normal tyres so the drivetrain becomes important. If I was totally obsessed with maximum car control and lived in an area with poor weather then I would spend the extra money on winter tyres as I might also on lane keep assist, active cruise etc to help avoid an accident. But I have never done it on my AWD cars before and never ended up in a ditch (again - that is my opinion).

If you see me in a ditch, please stop and wave.
UK_ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2012, 03:57 AM   #19
M40WST
Private
 
M40WST's Avatar
 
Drives: MINI Cooper,Previous F30 316d
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Luton, Bedfordshire, UK

Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

I am of the view of HighlandPete in that in general a lot of people have the perception that if they are driving a 4x4 that they can do what ever they like when it snows as once they get moving they think they can stop, but when it comes to stopping a 4x4 is in the same situation as RWD or FWD driver with Summer Tyres on it that they cant stop. With the case of the 4x4 perception with them being unable to stop they are likely to cause a bigger accident.

That being said from what you say Rb79 it sounds like you are one of the more sensible drivers around and it is quite possible to drive a FWD or 4x4 with Summer Tyres during the winter if you driver to the conditions e.g. keeping a larger distance and braking by using your gears rather than the brakes unless you have to.

I have ordered an RWD F30 and also at set of Winter Wheels because I know I will be safer on the road that way, that being said I will still be keeping my eyes on my mirrors and leaving gaps in front and looking for mr invincible in his 4x4 with summer tyres behind me.

Winter Tyres have more of benefit not just for when it snows but in general when the temperature is below 7c.

I believe the order of safeness is -

xDrive with Winters
RWD with Winters / FWD with Winters
xDrive with Summers
FWD with Summers
RWD with Summers

As a general rule I would be much less worried about a FWD car with summers behind me that I would an xDrive / 4x4 with summers but that doesn't mean that person doesn't know how to drive in those conditions.

There would be far less accidents in the UK in the Winter if we followed the same rules of the rest of europe by putting Winters on in Novemeber and Summers back on in April
M40WST is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2012, 04:12 AM   #20
UK_
First Lieutenant
 
UK_'s Avatar
 
Drives: M4 Convertible on order
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 330
iTrader: (0)

Totally agree with you M40WST, nice to have a sensible forum debate. Stopping is no different. As with all potential accidents, driver error or over confidence is always going to be a big factor. I am sure similar applies to active cruise control where people might think they don't have to pay attention to the traffic ahead. I learnt with quattro the does and don'ts about winter driving and how to have some fun. I also don't like 4x4s up my behind and it is not about being able to drive fast but keeping going sensibly. I am sure if we get a few more bad winters then there will be a good debate for tyre laws to change.

I am sure winter tyres will be immense, this time for me I decided more on drivetrain because xdrive became available and, despite Highland Pete's seeming insistence, I do not think xdrive will compensate for poor tyres.

Which other options did you go for?
UK_ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2012, 04:44 AM   #21
M40WST
Private
 
M40WST's Avatar
 
Drives: MINI Cooper,Previous F30 316d
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Luton, Bedfordshire, UK

Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

The ES i'm getting will be totally standard mainly because the only difference I could see between that and the SE was PDC, Auto Lights and Wipers and to be honest I've parking sensor before but with experience I've found I don't really need them and in regards to the Automatic Stuff I find that they can be more of a pain as they don't turn on/off when I would expect them to so end in manual mode any way.

The only option I would have potentionally gone for is the Nav but I would have only used it properly on a few times a year so I'll be getting a TomTom for those ocassional time.

This will be my first BMW and I only have three requirements - Cruise Control, Bluetooth and iPod control which the ES has all of as Standard the Dealer has chucked in the Y Cable too so thats 43 less for me to pay.

The Winter Package I have gone for is the 16inch Steels with Covers and the Run Flat Bridgstone Blizzaks the main reason for this option is mainly due to if I did have slide in the bad weather I'd be gutted if I damaged my alloys but not so much if it was steels and also because although I would need to change tyres less often when they are changed its likely to cost me more!

Obviously if cost wasn't an issue i'd have probably gone for 330d M Sport with Xenons, HUD, Pro Nav etc.

I'm just happy that I'll be driving around in a new BMW instead of my 06 Astra SXi
M40WST is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2012, 04:53 AM   #22
RobUK
Major
 
RobUK's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i Lux' 8SAT, Red
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sussex, UK

Posts: 1,094
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I don't think dealers help - well some certain dealers anyway. My mother-in-law recently purchased an Evoque (came with all-weather tyres) and I told her to ask them about their 'winter tyres service' when she collected it. She did and the saleman's response was "Winter tyres? Completely unnecessary... never known a Landrover have difficulty in the snow".
__________________

2012 F30 328i Lux', 8SAT, Melbourne Red

Last edited by RobUK; 10-24-2012 at 05:29 AM.
RobUK is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST