F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Anyone done any Audio upgrades?
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-31-2015, 12:51 PM   #1
singh21
Banned
singh21's Avatar
England
48
Rep
794
Posts

Drives: BMW M4
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Anyone done any Audio upgrades?

Has anyone made any audio changes?

I am going to be upgrading the base audio system my car currently has and just wanted to see what other people have done and how their results came out
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 01:20 PM   #2
sandford6016
Private
sandford6016's Avatar
United Kingdom
11
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: 2014 420D M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berkshire UK

iTrader: (0)

Only the bavsound speaker upgrade, all good and very impressed.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2015, 01:35 PM   #3
amaar_malik
Lieutenant
37
Rep
401
Posts

Drives: Slammed F30 330D M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Newcastle

iTrader: (0)

Focal tweeters and front speakers run by a hertz amp, type r subwoofer 3000watt run by a alpine amp.

Can safely say it sounds outstanding, although it rattles the petrol cap which is annoying
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2015, 01:46 PM   #4
squidlyboy
Captain
squidlyboy's Avatar
United_States
210
Rep
973
Posts

Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chandler, Arizona

iTrader: (0)

HiFi system ...

Bavsound S-1 upgrade + JL Audio XD800/8 + MS-8 DSP

BSW's + XD800 is already close to perfection. The MS-8 was/is overkill. Amazing sound detail. Staging is expansive and immersive. The clarity and detail are stunning. Bass is tight and undistorted. Might add trunk sub later, but enjoying my system now while getting some other mods/retrofits done. Just unreal.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2015, 04:06 PM   #5
ewanmac
Lieutenant
ewanmac's Avatar
85
Rep
594
Posts

Drives: m140i
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Aberdeen

iTrader: (0)

Updated standard on my previous e90 as it was awful. It was the BMW alpine retro. Big difference but not as good as the HK I now have.
__________________
M140i and Boxster S for Summer | Previously F31 330dx, E90 335D, E92 335i, E46 320CD, E46 318ci x2... and some short-lived SUV thing
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2015, 04:28 PM   #6
Sussex_F32
First Lieutenant
Sussex_F32's Avatar
United Kingdom
68
Rep
316
Posts

Drives: F32 435iM Sport Auto
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: South Coast

iTrader: (0)

I posted this a while back not cheap but excellent.....and you can keep the boot space/through load capability

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1064506
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2015, 04:34 PM   #7
73henny
Captain
73henny's Avatar
Scotland
127
Rep
716
Posts

Drives: a lovely 330dx
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

https://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/topics/o...F0ZWdvcnk1In0=
__________________
F30 330dx Pro Nav, MSPlus, Adaptive, Vis pack, and some other stuff.
F21 LCI 125d M Sport
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2015, 06:02 PM   #8
jessat
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
2
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: F30 BMW 320d ED Imperial Blue
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bedfordshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Focal front and tweeters and 4channel Hertz amp... Also driving original base speakers. Vast improvement.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2015, 06:55 AM   #9
singh21
Banned
singh21's Avatar
England
48
Rep
794
Posts

Drives: BMW M4
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Is anyone around Herts area for me to have a listen? want to compare it to my stock
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 07:12 AM   #10
Sussex_F32
First Lieutenant
Sussex_F32's Avatar
United Kingdom
68
Rep
316
Posts

Drives: F32 435iM Sport Auto
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: South Coast

iTrader: (0)

PM sent
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 08:16 AM   #11
PeteGB335i
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: F30 335i
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Will do in next couple weeks: upgrade to gladen front speakers/subs, include some sound deadening, see how it is off the stock base headunit/amp and if not satisfied... Then add an amp
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 08:19 AM   #12
Raj420
Private
5
Rep
77
Posts

Drives: BMW 420d M sport Auto
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteGB335i View Post
Will do in next couple weeks: upgrade to gladen front speakers/subs, include some sound deadening, see how it is off the stock base headunit/amp and if not satisfied... Then add an amp
I would also be interested to see how you get on with this.. Biggest regret of my F32 purchase was not getting the HK upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 08:23 AM   #13
hydrobx
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW e70 white
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: new york

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
HiFi system ...

Bavsound S-1 upgrade + JL Audio XD800/8 + MS-8 DSP

BSW's + XD800 is already close to perfection. The MS-8 was/is overkill. Amazing sound detail. Staging is expansive and immersive. The clarity and detail are stunning. Bass is tight and undistorted. Might add trunk sub later, but enjoying my system now while getting some other mods/retrofits done. Just unreal.
Did the MS-8 DSP improve the sound? Do you think it is needed?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 10:30 AM   #14
squidlyboy
Captain
squidlyboy's Avatar
United_States
210
Rep
973
Posts

Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chandler, Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrobx View Post
Did the MS-8 DSP improve the sound? Do you think it is needed?
To be quite honest, it was only marginally better if anything.

The bsw + xd800 was 90% of the improvement, and the ms-8 added an additional 5-10%. Its like buying the most expensive car wax you can find on the market then using it on a brand new car expecting it to make the paint job look way better than it already does... not really going to add much. Plus both units won't fit in the trunk/boot area where OEM amp is located without modifications/cutting. The stack is too tall. You would have to locate them in the cubby holes or do something different. BSW + XD800 combo (along with Technic harness of course) also is a drop in solution (e.g. no cutting, rewiring, splicing, or any other car mods). It can be returned to OEM very quickly and easily if needed.

Don't get me wrong, the ms-8 rocks. If I didn't have the xd800, then adding the ms-8 would be an entirely different story. It blows away the oem HiFi amp. The ms-8 has won car audio competitions.

Last edited by squidlyboy; 04-01-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 10:51 AM   #15
hydrobx
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW e70 white
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: new york

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
To be quite honest, it was only marginally better if anything.

The bsw + xd800 was 90% of the improvement, and the ms-8 added an additional 5-10%. Its like buying the most expensive car wax you can find on the market then using it on a brand new car expecting it to make the paint job look way better than it already does... not really going to add much. Plus both units won't fit in the trunk/boot area where OEM amp is located without modifications/cutting. The stack is too tall. You would have to locate them in the cubby holes or do something different. BSW + XD800 combo (along with Technic harness of course) also is a drop in solution (e.g. no cutting, rewiring, splicing, or any other car mods). It can be returned to OEM very quickly and easily if needed.

Don't get me wrong, the ms-8 rocks. If I didn't have the xd800, then adding the ms-8 would be an entirely different story. It blows away the oem HiFi amp. The ms-8 has won car audio competitions.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 10:10 AM   #16
singh21
Banned
singh21's Avatar
England
48
Rep
794
Posts

Drives: BMW M4
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Will be getting some Gladen exteme components and run them off a JL 600/6
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 12:09 PM   #17
Tomahawk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
49
Rep
225
Posts

Drives: 2014 328I MSport
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pensacola

iTrader: (2)

If I didnt have the HK i would ABSOLUTELY be using my MS-8. I think the BAVsound front stage with ms8 and trunk sub would be fantastic. And amp is just an amp. I replaced my HK front with the BSW speakers and added a trunk sub with an outboard amp on underseats and it sounds great (since i can, at least, control the frequencies going to underseats. But i do wish I could simply add my ms8. Will never get another HK equipped car.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2015, 07:26 AM   #18
singh21
Banned
singh21's Avatar
England
48
Rep
794
Posts

Drives: BMW M4
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Just got the Gladen Extreme upgrade with Mosconi amp and the difference over base system is crazy!

Anyone else done any audio upgrades?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 01:05 PM   #19
Wagstafari
Second Lieutenant
Wagstafari's Avatar
United Kingdom
19
Rep
231
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW F30 335d Xdrive
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Portsmouth

iTrader: (0)

What's a realistic price then for the BAV sound with amp, sub and fitting etc?

After a few months of debating if the base hifi is bad my answer is Yes !!
__________________
[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]2014 F30 335d xDrive M Sport / Alpine White / MPerformance Rear Spoiler / MPerformance Black Grills / Adaptive Suspension / M Sport Breaking / Reversing Camera / Folding Auto Dipping Mirrors / Sun Protection Glass / Adaptive Headlights / 19" M 442M Alloys / Pro Nav Media Package / Sunroof / Heated Memory Dakotas / High Gloss Interior Trim / High Gloss Shadowline / Xenons /
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 01:09 PM   #20
singh21
Banned
singh21's Avatar
England
48
Rep
794
Posts

Drives: BMW M4
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagstafari
What's a realistic price then for the BAV sound with amp, sub and fitting etc?

After a few months of debating if the base hifi is bad my answer is Yes !!
Base sound is really really bad. That's what I had
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 01:33 PM   #21
Tengocity
Lieutenant General
Tengocity's Avatar
Scotland
1502
Rep
11,371
Posts

Drives: 335d tourer/F30 330e saloon
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Oxfordshire and Scotland sometimes

iTrader: (0)

How much would this improve over a HK set up? All I've done is install Dynamat in all the doors, which definitely helped. But having done that I did look at all the speakers in the doors and think they looked pretty pish. I thought that base ones must be spectacularly shite if this represents the premium option!
__________________
2013 F31 335d MSport with lots of mods: DMS remap, ACS RS suspension...
2016 F30 330e MSport company motor
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 01:47 PM   #22
Bricktrix
Lieutenant
Bricktrix's Avatar
United Kingdom
172
Rep
557
Posts

Drives: F36 420D GC Sport + ACS lots!
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Staffs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
I thought that base ones must be spectacularly shite if this represents the premium option!
Yes....Yes they are
I forgot how bad standard BMW systems were and had hoped they had improved over the years.
Its not the type of thing I think about testing on a test drive, but have to live with the consequences of not doing so
I cant believe they are still as shite now, as they used to be 25 years ago!
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Previous BMW's owned in last 30 years: E30 C2 2.3 Alpina, E30 325i (multiples), E30 M3, E36 M3 x2, last one owned for 9 years. 11 years out, now back with an F36 4GC. ..Merc AMG C43 Coupe on order.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:33 AM.




f30post
f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST