F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > What RPM do you release clutch at
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
snowghost
Colonel
snowghost's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
2,010
Posts

 
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

What RPM do you release clutch at

Just wondering that after driving my 6 speed manual for a week now. The clutch engages so smoothly you can practically let it out at engine idle.

Haven't tried a super fast start yet due to break-in.
__________________
F30 Sapphire Black 335i 6MT|2PE|4AB|LCSW|ZDH|ZMM|ZPP|ZCW|ZDA|ZDB|ZTP|5AC|4 15|688|Dinan Stage 1 Suspension and Shockware ECU tune
Previously - F30 335i, E46 M3, E39 530i, E46 325i
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
DrivenByE30
Colonel
DrivenByE30's Avatar
France
46
Rep
2,904
Posts

 
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: OC - SoCal

iTrader: (0)

i am not sure i understand your question ?

sorry i am a bit under the weather today.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
JYohay
Banned
24
Rep
2,011
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 X5
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY

iTrader: (3)

what he is saying is what rpm do you brign the car up to before you engage the clutch
...........
buddy your doing it all wrong.
it should be at the same time you give it gas and engage.
but if your doing it the wrong way.....just keep them as low as possible.
unless your doing a burn out in which i drop it from like 3500
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
snowghost
Colonel
snowghost's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
2,010
Posts

 
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYohay View Post
what he is saying is what rpm do you brign the car up to before you engage the clutch
...........
buddy your doing it all wrong.
it should be at the same time you give it gas and engage.
but if your doing it the wrong way.....just keep them as low as possible.
unless your doing a burn out in which i drop it from like 3500
What I was saying is I give it gas and let it out at idle--if that makes sense. Rather than do any revving before release.
__________________
F30 Sapphire Black 335i 6MT|2PE|4AB|LCSW|ZDH|ZMM|ZPP|ZCW|ZDA|ZDB|ZTP|5AC|4 15|688|Dinan Stage 1 Suspension and Shockware ECU tune
Previously - F30 335i, E46 M3, E39 530i, E46 325i
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
DrivenByE30
Colonel
DrivenByE30's Avatar
France
46
Rep
2,904
Posts

 
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: OC - SoCal

iTrader: (0)

you mean on the first gear, as you start off the line from Zero...

that's what i usually do anyways...: let go of the clutch to the clutch point, then rev/gas it if necessary as you slowly lift up the clutch... ..

I dont see any difference between clutching this F30 to my previous cars: E46, E36, OR E30...

bmw has had this nice long clutch feel...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
nsquared
[Versatile]
nsquared's Avatar
24
Rep
1,519
Posts

 
Drives: (S)LOW.
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California & Utah

iTrader: (0)

Not to thread jack but! with the six-speed manual and with ASS on and in eco-pro mode - if you were rolling down a hill or rolling in general to a stop sign does the car still shut off even though its a brief stop?
__________________
'13 AW F30 335i ///M-Sport 6MT. OEM(+).

[Liquid Innovations] [Envisions] [Rob's Speed Shop]
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
ric124
Lieutenant Colonel
ric124's Avatar
Jamaica
28
Rep
1,556
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335i SP 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsquared View Post
Not to thread jack but! with the six-speed manual and with ASS on and in eco-pro mode - if you were rolling down a hill or rolling in general to a stop sign does the car still shut off even though its a brief stop?
With Manual we have full control of the ASS. It only kicks in if car is in neutral and foot off the clutch.
__________________
Timeline: 335i Sport W/ Adaptive M suspension| Sport Variable steering| Technology PKG| HK Sound PKG| BMW apps| BMW Assist| Sport line hand brake grip| M Performance black kidneys|
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
ric124
Lieutenant Colonel
ric124's Avatar
Jamaica
28
Rep
1,556
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335i SP 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
in sport+ use launch control and the rev is held at 3500rpm and lift clutch when ready to go.
__________________
Timeline: 335i Sport W/ Adaptive M suspension| Sport Variable steering| Technology PKG| HK Sound PKG| BMW apps| BMW Assist| Sport line hand brake grip| M Performance black kidneys|
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
nsquared
[Versatile]
nsquared's Avatar
24
Rep
1,519
Posts

 
Drives: (S)LOW.
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California & Utah

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
With Manual we have full control of the ASS. It only kicks in if car is in neutral and foot off the clutch.
So in neutral and rolling down a hill, the car is off if ASS is on or is it off only when rolling to a stop while in neutral?
__________________
'13 AW F30 335i ///M-Sport 6MT. OEM(+).

[Liquid Innovations] [Envisions] [Rob's Speed Shop]
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #10
DrivenByE30
Colonel
DrivenByE30's Avatar
France
46
Rep
2,904
Posts

 
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: OC - SoCal

iTrader: (0)

as soon as you clutch, the engine start up again... and it's quite fast

I dont know why so many people complains about it, but i dont see the car vibrating anymore due to ASS over a regular engine start...

if anything it's the same...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #11
DrivenByE30
Colonel
DrivenByE30's Avatar
France
46
Rep
2,904
Posts

 
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: OC - SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsquared View Post
So in neutral and rolling down a hill, the car is off if ASS is on or is it off only when rolling to a stop while in neutral?
when you roll, the engine is never off ... it doesn't matter if you are in gear or in neutral... the reason is because you need power to the power steering.

The only time the engine shuts off, is when you are STOPPED, off the clutch and in neutral.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #12
nsquared
[Versatile]
nsquared's Avatar
24
Rep
1,519
Posts

 
Drives: (S)LOW.
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California & Utah

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
when you roll, the engine is never off ... it doesn't matter if you are in gear or in neutral... the reason is because you need power to the power steering.

The only time the engine shuts off, is when you are STOPPED, off the clutch and in neutral.
Good and not complaining just questioning. Then, in eco-pro mode/ASS on with the car in neutral - at a stop sign (brief stop) does the car shut off and on?
__________________
'13 AW F30 335i ///M-Sport 6MT. OEM(+).

[Liquid Innovations] [Envisions] [Rob's Speed Shop]
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #13
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
17
Rep
1,757
Posts

 
Drives: Too Many
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsquared View Post
So in neutral and rolling down a hill, the car is off if ASS is on or is it off only when rolling to a stop while in neutral?
Why would you ever roll down a hill in neutral while driving?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #14
nsquared
[Versatile]
nsquared's Avatar
24
Rep
1,519
Posts

 
Drives: (S)LOW.
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California & Utah

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Why would you ever roll down a hill in neutral while driving?
I neutral drop all the time. Huge hill and traffic is little to none, why?
__________________
'13 AW F30 335i ///M-Sport 6MT. OEM(+).

[Liquid Innovations] [Envisions] [Rob's Speed Shop]
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #15
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
17
Rep
1,757
Posts

 
Drives: Too Many
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
Just wondering that after driving my 6 speed manual for a week now. The clutch engages so smoothly you can practically let it out at engine idle.

Haven't tried a super fast start yet due to break-in.
You need to make sure you've got enough revs to avoid bogging/stalling the engine. It's not really a function of the smooth engagement of the clutch. This point will vary depending on the load required to get the car moving - i.e. flat, uphill, downhill, etc.

You actually CAN engage the clutch in most cars at idle so long as you do it smoothly. But this isn't the best for the longevity of your clutch.

Are you new to driving manuals or just soliciting feedback specific to the new car?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #16
wai2sexy
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
41
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 335
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: va

iTrader: (0)

7k rpm
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #17
DrivenByE30
Colonel
DrivenByE30's Avatar
France
46
Rep
2,904
Posts

 
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: OC - SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsquared View Post
Good and not complaining just questioning. Then, in eco-pro mode/ASS on with the car in neutral - at a stop sign (brief stop) does the car shut off and on?
as the driver, It's entirely up to you...

If you come to a stop sign (brief stop as you describe)

The car shuts off or not is depending on your actions:

1) if you get to the stop, but hold the clutch while stopped, the engine does NOT shuts off.
It stays on because you are still on your clutch.

2) if you get to the stop sign, put your car in neutral and dissengage the clutch, then the engine will shut-off for however long you want... until you are ready to go again, just engage your clutch, and your engine will start up again.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #18
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
17
Rep
1,757
Posts

 
Drives: Too Many
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsquared View Post
I neutral drop all the time. Huge hill and traffic is little to none, why?
??? You can't neutral drop a manual trans. A "neutral drop" is revving the motor in neutral (at rest) and slamming the auto trans into drive.

The manual equivalent is "dumping the clutch" which is essentially the same with the exception of side stepping the clutch as opposed to releasing it gradually.

Both of these techniques are very good at destroying drivelines.

There's really no benefit to putting the car in neutral unless you just want to coast and see how much speed you pick up. You're not saving any gas if that's your motive.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #19
ric124
Lieutenant Colonel
ric124's Avatar
Jamaica
28
Rep
1,556
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335i SP 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
??? You can't neutral drop a manual trans. A "neutral drop" is revving the motor in neutral (at rest) and slamming the auto trans into drive.

The manual equivalent is "dumping the clutch" which is essentially the same with the exception of side stepping the clutch as opposed to releasing it gradually.

Both of these techniques are very good at destroying drivelines.

There's really no benefit to putting the car in neutral unless you just want to coast and see how much speed you pick up. You're not saving any gas if that's your motive.
Correct, better you put the car in 6th and come off the gas. At that point you are using no gas and car is just rolling and engine is compressing.
__________________
Timeline: 335i Sport W/ Adaptive M suspension| Sport Variable steering| Technology PKG| HK Sound PKG| BMW apps| BMW Assist| Sport line hand brake grip| M Performance black kidneys|
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #20
nsquared
[Versatile]
nsquared's Avatar
24
Rep
1,519
Posts

 
Drives: (S)LOW.
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California & Utah

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
Correct, better you put the car in 6th and come off the gas. At that point you are using no gas and car is just rolling and engine is compressing.
I'm saying going at like 20/30 miles per hour down a hill haha.
__________________
'13 AW F30 335i ///M-Sport 6MT. OEM(+).

[Liquid Innovations] [Envisions] [Rob's Speed Shop]
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #21
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
17
Rep
1,757
Posts

 
Drives: Too Many
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
Correct, better you put the car in 6th and come off the gas. At that point you are using no gas and car is just rolling and engine is compressing.
You actually shouldn't just jump to 6th. You can still lug the motor depending on your speed. A gear that's more appropriate for the speed is best.

No matter what gear you're in, there's no fuel delivered while coasting downhill. There IS if you're in neutral however....
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #22
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
17
Rep
1,757
Posts

 
Drives: Too Many
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsquared View Post
I'm saying going at like 20/30 miles per hour down a hill haha.
I still don't understand WHY though?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST