F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Ran out of gas today.
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #23
john08135i
Major
john08135i's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,023
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 M Sport, 2010 bmw S1000RR
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to john08135i
I have ran on zero miles a few times with no issues.
__________________
M Sport Line Estoril Blue
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #24
Valentin
Enlisted Member
4
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: Hyundai Sonata
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Sorry I couldn't reply guys, the power was out and I shut everything off in case of emergencies. So everything went pretty well and fortunately I didn't have to chance it by putting regular in and I was able to catch a ride with my friend to exit 8A in Jersey (I believe its called Cranbury). They seemed pretty untouched by the storm and they had premium, didn't even have a line. So if anyone is still in search of gas that would be the perfect place its stress free and you don't have to worry about the gas running out. Also I've heard of people being able to snag premium of Pheiffer Blvd which is 5 minutes past the outerbridge but there is a line though if you have a gas canister the wait is only about 5 minutes.

And maybe I was driving the car a little longer than 5 minutes but when that thing goes to E that means its time for some gas haha. I've never been in a car as accurate as this so I wrongfully assumed that I had more than I did. And now the storms over I finally get to enjoy my car and now I can't wait to take a drive to get some gas!

Hoping everyone else is well!! Good luck guys! Oh and if any of the forum members need help with anything do not hesitate to ask.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #25
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
45
Rep
1,784
Posts

 
Drives: Porsche Macan S
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

I have a friend up in Rhinebeck. The storm missed the Hudson River Valley from Poughkeepsie to Albany, looping to the west and hooking back around as it approached Canada. Gas stations are plentiful...angry commuter lines are not.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #26
a4budak
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
35
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Milwaukee,WI

iTrader: (0)

I don't think it will be an issue. Wife filled up at least 3 times with 87 octane and haven't noticed anything out of ordinary.
__________________
2012 335i F30 Sport Line. Alpine White, Dakota Black/Red Leather, Technology/Premium/Cold Weather Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, BMW Apps, Sat Radio

2012 Acura MDX w/ Technology & Entertainment Pkg.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #27
DarkTrigger
Professional
DarkTrigger's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
973
Posts

 
Drives: 335i MPPK
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: LB, SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revms1 View Post
I waited for 4 hours on Saturday to get $40 of regular gas and bought 2 bottles of octane booster
+1

It's easy to boost the octane rating. When they do gasoline blending they just mix in higher octane fuel with lesser until they get the correct antiknock number (ie. 91). Higher octane just means that the gasoline has more branched hydrocarbon molecules which burn more efficiently. It's all pretty much C7-C11 hydrocarbons though and blended with branched isomers to act more like pure iso-octane. These cars are now advanced enough to just re-adjust the air/fuel ratio to prevent any knocking (premature ignition due to unbranched molecules).

I'm a chemical engineer who used to work at an oil refinery. Also, just to clear up one last misconception. All the fuel brands are the same, Chevron, 76, Connoco, etc, use the same gasoline from the same refineries. They just dump in their additives (special trade secret detergents) into the stream when they load up the gas into the tanker trucks.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #28
AWF30
Private First Class
3
Rep
166
Posts

 
Drives: aw f30 m sport
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: nyc

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
+1

It's easy to boost the octane rating. When they do gasoline blending they just mix in higher octane fuel with lesser until they get the correct antiknock number (ie. 91). Higher octane just means that the gasoline has more branched hydrocarbon molecules which burn more efficiently. It's all pretty much C7-C11 hydrocarbons though and blended with branched isomers to act more like pure iso-octane. These cars are now advanced enough to just re-adjust the air/fuel ratio to prevent any knocking (premature ignition due to unbranched molecules).

I'm a chemical engineer who used to work at an oil refinery. Also, just to clear up one last misconception. All the fuel brands are the same, Chevron, 76, Connoco, etc, use the same gasoline from the same refineries. They just dump in their additives (special trade secret detergents) into the stream when they load up the gas into the tanker trucks.

Hope this helps.
you mean shell, exxon and bp aren't better than the rest?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #29
DarkTrigger
Professional
DarkTrigger's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
973
Posts

 
Drives: 335i MPPK
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: LB, SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF30 View Post
you mean shell, exxon and bp aren't better than the rest?
If you're talking about gasoline, they all come from the same refineries. Chevron trucks can pull up to ExxonMobil refineries and vice versa.

The detergents, aka additives, they put in it are trade secrets for each company. The rumor is among the refiners though is that Chevron Techron is the best performing detergent. They all are pretty much the same though. I must say that they're pretty stingy on how much additive they actually put in which is why you should always just buy the fuel injector cleaner every once in awhile.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #30
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
17
Rep
1,748
Posts

 
Drives: Too Many
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
If you're talking about gasoline, they all come from the same refineries. Chevron trucks can pull up to ExxonMobil refineries and vice versa.

The detergents, aka additives, they put in it are trade secrets for each company. The rumor is among the refiners though is that Chevron Techron is the best performing detergent. They all are pretty much the same though. I must say that they're pretty stingy on how much additive they actually put in which is why you should always just buy the fuel injector cleaner every once in awhile.
Oops, you just let the cat out of the bag! It's amazing how few people understand this.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #31
DarkTrigger
Professional
DarkTrigger's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
973
Posts

 
Drives: 335i MPPK
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: LB, SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Oops, you just let the cat out of the bag! It's amazing how few people understand this.
Great, I bet they're going to put a bounty on my head now.

I don't know why more people who work at refineries don't just talk about it. I mean we understand the whole process and business. Shouldn't be such a big mystery.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #32
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
Teemo Panda's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,179
Posts

 
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Jersey (NJ)

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [2.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger



It's easy to boost the octane rating. When they do gasoline blending they just mix in higher octane fuel with lesser until they get the correct antiknock number (ie. 91). Higher octane just means that the gasoline has more branched hydrocarbon molecules which burn more efficiently. It's all pretty much C7-C11 hydrocarbons though and blended with branched isomers to act more like pure iso-octane. These cars are now advanced enough to just re-adjust the air/fuel ratio to prevent any knocking (premature ignition due to unbranched molecules).

I'm a chemical engineer who used to work at an oil refinery. Also, just to clear up one last misconception. All the fuel brands are the same, Chevron, 76, Connoco, etc, use the same gasoline from the same refineries. They just dump in their additives (special trade secret detergents) into the stream when they load up the gas into the tanker trucks.

Hope this helps.
Uhm, Mr Chemist. What would happen if you place octane booster in your tank with 93 octane gas in it?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 11:26 PM   #33
DarkTrigger
Professional
DarkTrigger's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
973
Posts

 
Drives: 335i MPPK
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: LB, SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemo Panda View Post
Uhm, Mr Chemist. What would happen if you place octane booster in your tank with 93 octane gas in it?
I don't know what the octane booster has in it exactly but my guess is it most likely would boost the 93 octane gas in your tank (probably has 100 octane rating). My guess is it's aklylate from the Alky unit (which uses a very nasty chemical known as Hydrofluoric Acid to produce a ton of branched chain hydrocarbons i.e the really good stuff).

But remember, law of diminishing returns. The closer you get to 100, you need to add more and more of the stuff.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #34
DarkTrigger
Professional
DarkTrigger's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
973
Posts

 
Drives: 335i MPPK
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: LB, SoCal

iTrader: (0)

A lesson in chemistry and refining...

The alkylation unit using short chain hydrocarbons to produce longer chain branched hydrocarbons (stuff with like 100+ octane rating).

The isomerization unit breaks down long chain hydrocarbons to produce shorter chain branched hydrocarbons (also stuff with 100+ octane rating).

When you just distill the crude, you don't normally get a lot of good branched molecules that'll give you an high antiknock rating (mostly get straight chained hydrocarbons with nasty sulfur compounds), therefore, refineries gotta use really energy/chemically intensive processes to produce it (hence the premium price for the fuel).
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #35
JUSKIDN
Lieutenant
JUSKIDN's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
562
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 EBII 328i M Sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

iTrader: (0)

I bet the call will tell on you when you bring it in for service
__________________
It's not illegal. It's frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 11:46 PM   #36
justinnum1
Brigadier General
61
Rep
4,007
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335i Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
A lesson in chemistry and refining...

The alkylation unit using short chain hydrocarbons to produce longer chain branched hydrocarbons (stuff with like 100+ octane rating).

The isomerization unit breaks down long chain hydrocarbons to produce shorter chain branched hydrocarbons (also stuff with 100+ octane rating).

When you just distill the crude, you don't normally get a lot of good branched molecules that'll give you an high antiknock rating (mostly get straight chained hydrocarbons with nasty sulfur compounds), therefore, refineries gotta use really energy/chemically intensive processes to produce it (hence the premium price for the fuel).
you lost me after chemistry...
__________________
F30 335i Msport Estoril Blue/Black leather sport auto. black grills, Performance Exhaust, HK,
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 12:39 AM   #37
DarkTrigger
Professional
DarkTrigger's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
973
Posts

 
Drives: 335i MPPK
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: LB, SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
you lost me after chemistry...
Don't worry, just a buncha mumbo jumbo.

I think the 87 is fine for the car in the short term. I did a quick calc, and you'd have to put in quite a bit of the octane booster to get to 91. Going from 87 to 91 u gotta put in over 3 gallons of 105 octane per tank.

Heptane (Straight chain molecule) = 0 antiknock/preignition
Iso-octane (Branched molecule) = 100 antiknock/preignition

Hope you guys on the east coast get access to more gas.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 01:36 AM   #38
bmwforme
First Lieutenant
United_States
9
Rep
383
Posts

 
Drives: 11' Camry
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGuyadeen View Post
+1000000

You should always have a full tank of gas in anticipation for a major storm
most of us did, well I did, but it has been a long week my tank is running low, but apparently this is going to go on for another week

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
this hurricane has seriously sucked...the lines in CT are absurd, I can't even imagine the lines in NY/NYC/LI/Burroughs...

Be safe and hang in there...
you don't even want to know, horrible, disorganized, fights, 10 block long lines, and the Asshat NYPD letting friends and family skip the lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post
will it be ok? i heard running out of fuel in turbo-ed engines is bad.
not sure how much it has to do with the turbos, BUT, it is not nice for your fuel pump to go below a quarter tank, the fuel pump is inside the tank and is liquid cooled, by what liquid? the gasoline! so as your gas runs low, the fuel pump becomes exposed and heats up, and as anything on a car, overheating is bad and it can fail.. rare I guess, but possible.
__________________
19
Brooklyn, NYC
320i...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:20 AM   #39
Remonster
Captain
United_States
10
Rep
946
Posts

 
Drives: M3 6MT VT2-625 - 335is DCT
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwforme View Post
not sure how much it has to do with the turbos, BUT, it is not nice for your fuel pump to go below a quarter tank, the fuel pump is inside the tank and is liquid cooled, by what liquid? the gasoline! so as your gas runs low, the fuel pump becomes exposed and heats up, and as anything on a car, overheating is bad and it can fail.. rare I guess, but possible.
I used to always let my first E90's tank get to empty before I would fill it up and within two years I had killed the fuel pump, and this was on a 328i which isn't known for fuel pump issues! The pump died on me while I was cruising, I wasn't even accelerating. The pump was covered under warranty and the dealer told me to be careful about running really low on gas.

I try not to let it go below 1/8 tank now, and my N55 and N54 powered cars have been free from fuel pump issues so far. Obviously my sample size of one failed fuel pump is small, but it's true that these fuel pumps are lubricated and cooled by the fuel itself and emptying out the tank is not a great idea.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #40
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
Teemo Panda's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,179
Posts

 
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Jersey (NJ)

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [2.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
A lesson in chemistry and refining...

The alkylation unit using short chain hydrocarbons to produce longer chain branched hydrocarbons (stuff with like 100+ octane rating).

The isomerization unit breaks down long chain hydrocarbons to produce shorter chain branched hydrocarbons (also stuff with 100+ octane rating).

When you just distill the crude, you don't normally get a lot of good branched molecules that'll give you an high antiknock rating (mostly get straight chained hydrocarbons with nasty sulfur compounds), therefore, refineries gotta use really energy/chemically intensive processes to produce it (hence the premium price for the fuel).
Lol Mr.Chemist, bth i suck at chem, i barely passed, liked anatomy better.

I was hopping that you mention that it would add more horse-powers
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #41
Tsuvoi
Banned
6
Rep
272
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 F30 328i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

It's weird, the Philadelphia area was exactly in the path of the storm and we have no lines and plenty of gas... Outside of the shore obviously, I don't see what could be different in NJ in terms of ability to deliver gas to stations.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #42
a4budak
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
35
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Milwaukee,WI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1337 View Post
It's weird, the Philadelphia area was exactly in the path of the storm and we have no lines and plenty of gas... Outside of the shore obviously, I don't see what could be different in NJ in terms of ability to deliver gas to stations.
I believe it has nothing to do with delivering gas to the stations. It is about stations not having power to pump to gas. At least that's what I heard.
__________________
2012 335i F30 Sport Line. Alpine White, Dakota Black/Red Leather, Technology/Premium/Cold Weather Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, BMW Apps, Sat Radio

2012 Acura MDX w/ Technology & Entertainment Pkg.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #43
MaX PL
First Lieutenant
4
Rep
305
Posts

 
Drives: F80 M3 SS/SO
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
I have a friend up in Rhinebeck. The storm missed the Hudson River Valley from Poughkeepsie to Albany, looping to the west and hooking back around as it approached Canada. Gas stations are plentiful...angry commuter lines are not.
yeh, we had depleted stations and long lines at the ones with gas on Friday night. i guess the media got to everyone so they all panicked at once.

the next day everything was fine though; must have gotten deliveries overnight.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #44
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
17
Rep
1,748
Posts

 
Drives: Too Many
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1337 View Post
It's weird, the Philadelphia area was exactly in the path of the storm and we have no lines and plenty of gas... Outside of the shore obviously, I don't see what could be different in NJ in terms of ability to deliver gas to stations.
At one point HALF of the state was without power. There are/were also TWO refineries down in North Jersey. There just isn't infrastructure in place to get gas from other regions into the area (without causing issues elsewhere). The number one issue is a lack of power to pump the gas out of the tanks.

North Jersey got nailed with the storm surge just as NYC did. It just doesn't get as much press coverage.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST