F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-13-2014, 09:08 PM   #1
ex o
ex o's Avatar
151
Rep
542
Posts

Drives: ✖✖
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: ✖✖✖

iTrader: (0)

Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers

Hello,

I recently put in an order for a set of Bilstein PSS10 Coilover for my 335i. But I got an email from the vendor saying that it is on back order for a few weeks. Although I'm not in an extreme hurry to get the coilovers, I don't like being in the situation of having paid for something on back order. I've been in situations before where it has dragged on for months/years.

SO...

I've been thinking of other options for suspension. I'm reading positive reviews for the Bilstien B8 + H&R combo, but the descriptions are very "personal tolerance" descriptions at best. I've already had a set of H&R Sport springs + OEM struts and to me, the ride quality was not satisfactory so I'm wary of going down that road again.

I am look for a lowered look with as close to stock comfort as possible.

Should I just wait for the PSS10 or try something else?

Last edited by ex o; 03-01-2014 at 12:20 AM.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 02:51 PM   #2
Krelle
Lieutenant
Denmark
8
Rep
465
Posts

Drives: F30 335
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Denmark

iTrader: (0)

YES
You should wait. I use the "manual version" of the B16 PSS10. This was chosen because the electrical,- the one with the remote controlled damping only has three settings.
It's much more fun having ten possible damping adjustments available versus 3.
Please be advised that you can set the lowering to 25mm on the 30-50mm version. I've done so.

Don't forget, the more you lower the harder the ride.. First mine went to 50mm in order to check the look of the car and stiffness. Nice look but tough ride.

Wait!

/Krelle
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 01:06 AM   #3
SwampCat84
Private First Class
SwampCat84's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
148
Posts

Drives: 2012 328i Sedan
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

x2

WAIT... I had the PSS10s on my last car and I LOVED them... I have been planning on putting them on my F30 since I bought it Nov 2012. I stayed in touch with Bilstein waiting for them to get a release date on the system for the F30 and they finally released them summer 2013... Im still planning on getting them, but lost my job in Sept and havent been able to as of yet.

Just wait, they will be available soon... And have fun with them!!
__________________


2012 328i F30/ Window Tint, M-Performance Kidney Grilles, Sport Front Trim Pieces with Whiskers, VMR V721s 19x8.5 F/19x9.5 R, (Coilovers Coming Soon!)
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
ex o
ex o's Avatar
151
Rep
542
Posts

Drives: ✖✖
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: ✖✖✖

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampCat84 View Post
x2

WAIT... I had the PSS10s on my last car and I LOVED them... I have been planning on putting them on my F30 since I bought it Nov 2012. I stayed in touch with Bilstein waiting for them to get a release date on the system for the F30 and they finally released them summer 2013... Im still planning on getting them, but lost my job in Sept and havent been able to as of yet.

Just wait, they will be available soon... And have fun with them!!
Are you on H&R Sport Springs with OEM struts? If so, how did it compare to your old set up with the PSS10s?

I decided to wait for the PSS10s to come in from back order. I'm not in a rush, but I am pretty excited about getting them in.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 02:16 AM   #5
ex o
ex o's Avatar
151
Rep
542
Posts

Drives: ✖✖
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: ✖✖✖

iTrader: (0)

The Bilstein PSS10s shipped. Hopefully I will get around to installing them this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 12:22 AM   #6
ex o
ex o's Avatar
151
Rep
542
Posts

Drives: ✖✖
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: ✖✖✖

iTrader: (0)

They have arrived. So far I am very impressed by the build quality. I will try to get them installed tomorrow in the garage. I hope the rain lets up a little bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 01:20 AM   #7
_bdiddyb_
Private First Class
21
Rep
189
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: California

iTrader: (1)

ex o
Yo - how did it go, how long did it take you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex o View Post
They have arrived. So far I am very impressed by the build quality. I will try to get them installed tomorrow in the garage. I hope the rain lets up a little bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 01:59 AM   #8
JNLBC
Major
JNLBC's Avatar
23
Rep
1,038
Posts

Drives: AW M-Sport F30 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Long Beach CA

iTrader: (0)

I have them and love them (aside from the noise, which may not be directly related to them). They ride and handle well, took them to the track and the car drives feels much more stable pushing it hard in turns.
__________________
-Justin N.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 02:01 AM   #9
ex o
ex o's Avatar
151
Rep
542
Posts

Drives: ✖✖
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: ✖✖✖

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _bdiddyb_
ex o
Yo - how did it go, how long did it take you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex o View Post
They have arrived. So far I am very impressed by the build quality. I will try to get them installed tomorrow in the garage. I hope the rain lets up a little bit.
I haven't done it yet. I have to use the oem top hats but I wasn't able to compress the spring enough to safely take off the top hat. The oem springs have so few coils that my spring compressor couldn't catch more than two coils. It simply wasn't enough compression. When I have time I will take the oem strut/spring to a shop and have them use one of those standing compressors. Unfortunately, that might not be for a few weeks.

Once I have the top hats, installation should take about 2 hours with my tools at home.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 11:26 PM   #10
_bdiddyb_
Private First Class
21
Rep
189
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: California

iTrader: (1)

I actually did it with a spring compressor that looks like this.



Fronts went in pretty quick, but the rears were a pain in the ass. I couldn't get a good even compression on the spring perch so the large bolt holes wouldn't lined up with the ball joint.

Dialing in the perfect height was also tedious, and my garage was not perfectly leveled.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 01:07 AM   #11
ex o
ex o's Avatar
151
Rep
542
Posts

Drives: ✖✖
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: ✖✖✖

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _bdiddyb_ View Post
I actually did it with a spring compressor that looks like this.



Fronts went in pretty quick, but the rears were a pain in the ass. I couldn't get a good even compression on the spring perch so the large bolt holes wouldn't lined up with the ball joint.

Dialing in the perfect height was also tedious, and my garage was not perfectly leveled.

This is the same compressor I have. I was not able to take enough tension off the top hat to safely remove it.

I hear you on the rears being a PITA to adjust. This is the reason why I have so much experience uninstalling/installing the suspension on my F30. I've had to take it apart so many times to get the perfect height.

I would greatly appreciate it if you would do me a huge favor. If you could simply snap a photo of your car from the side view along with a pic of the rear perch? This way I can see how far I have to adjust the coils to get the desired height. It would potentially save me a tremendous amount of time and I would be eternally grateful.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 12:41 PM   #12
Gastoys
First Lieutenant
4
Rep
332
Posts

Drives: 2013 BWM 335i M Sport sapphire
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Greater Seattle Area

iTrader: (0)

H&R/Eibach springs are horrible though improvements might be better with the right struts. I'd wait for the coil overs if it was me.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 02:17 PM   #13
Krelle
Lieutenant
Denmark
8
Rep
465
Posts

Drives: F30 335
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Denmark

iTrader: (0)

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex o View Post

This is the same compressor I have. I was not able to take enough tension off the top hat to safely remove it.

I hear you on the rears being a PITA to adjust. This is the reason why I have so much experience uninstalling/installing the suspension on my F30. I've had to take it apart so many times to get the perfect height.

I would greatly appreciate it if you would do me a huge favor. If you could simply snap a photo of your car from the side view along with a pic of the rear perch? This way I can see how far I have to adjust the coils to get the desired height. It would potentially save me a tremendous amount of time and I would be eternally grateful.
Attention!!
In order not to waste this beatiful kit, and get the full benefit you need to be carefull about following:
- Disconnect the battery if you have xenon.
-Adjust tire pressure correct for even alignment.
-Totally flat surface for the adjustment of spring height.
-Directional references (left right, front rear) are always with ref. to the driving direction.
-Read the manual. Follow the tightening procedure carefully.
-adjust the spring height to 50mm and drivee the car for a day or so. If you're satisfied with the height you can finally adjust/check caster & camber with ref. to the manufacturer’s specifications.
- Have your local workshop check your braking system.
-Check and adjust headlight setting depending on your configuration.

Then you're good to go.
I re-adjusted mine to 25mm, as I felt this was where I got the best road feeling.

I have attached some pics of the lowering shown on 18" Winter alu. It looks much better on 20" though.
It's no lowrider as I like driving -not just the looks.

Above is just for info. Take it or scrap it.


/ Krelle
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 07:51 PM   #14
ex o
ex o's Avatar
151
Rep
542
Posts

Drives: ✖✖
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: ✖✖✖

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krelle View Post
Attention!!
In order not to waste this beatiful kit, and get the full benefit you need to be carefull about following:
- Disconnect the battery if you have xenon.
-Adjust tire pressure correct for even alignment.
-Totally flat surface for the adjustment of spring height.
-Directional references (left right, front rear) are always with ref. to the driving direction.
-Read the manual. Follow the tightening procedure carefully.
-adjust the spring height to 50mm and drivee the car for a day or so. If you're satisfied with the height you can finally adjust/check caster & camber with ref. to the manufacturer’s specifications.
- Have your local workshop check your braking system.
-Check and adjust headlight setting depending on your configuration.

Then you're good to go.
I re-adjusted mine to 25mm, as I felt this was where I got the best road feeling.

I have attached some pics of the lowering shown on 18" Winter alu. It looks much better on 20" though.
It's no lowrider as I like driving -not just the looks.

Above is just for info. Take it or scrap it.


/ Krelle
25mm from what?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 02:40 AM   #15
Krelle
Lieutenant
Denmark
8
Rep
465
Posts

Drives: F30 335
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Denmark

iTrader: (0)

The springs can be adjusted so the car is lowered between 30-50mm according to specs. However the manufatorer say's ok for 25 mm as well.
That is what the 25mm refers to.
/Krelle
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 03:05 AM   #16
Rossifumi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rossifumi's Avatar
Sweden
123
Rep
1,874
Posts

Drives: Panthera X
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Westeros

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krelle View Post
The springs can be adjusted so the car is lowered between 30-50mm according to specs. However the manufatorer say's ok for 25 mm as well.
That is what the 25mm refers to.
/Krelle
So basically what you are saying is that you have it at the highest possible setting?
Got any profile shots?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 04:47 AM   #17
Krelle
Lieutenant
Denmark
8
Rep
465
Posts

Drives: F30 335
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Denmark

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
So basically what you are saying is that you have it at the highest possible setting?
Got any profile shots?
Highest setting, yes. 5mm higher than the official recommendation.
And I have no difficulties driving in snow when we go to Sweden for the winter holidays ie no ploughing :-)

No profile pics available, maybe later.
/Krelle
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 04:55 AM   #18
Krelle
Lieutenant
Denmark
8
Rep
465
Posts

Drives: F30 335
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Denmark

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
So basically what you are saying is that you have it at the highest possible setting?
Got any profile shots?
Highest setting, yes. 5mm higher than the official recommendation.
And I have no difficulties driving in snow when we go to Sweden for the winter holidays ie no ploughing :-)

No profile pics available, maybe later.
/Krelle
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 05:52 AM   #19
Rossifumi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rossifumi's Avatar
Sweden
123
Rep
1,874
Posts

Drives: Panthera X
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Westeros

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krelle View Post
Highest setting, yes. 5mm higher than the official recommendation.
And I have no difficulties driving in snow when we go to Sweden for the winter holidays ie no ploughing :-)

No profile pics available, maybe later.
/Krelle
Thanks! I will raise mine (Bilstein B14) next week because there are some nasty speed bumps in Gothenburg I can't clear even when taking them diagonally. But I think around 30mm lowering would be a pretty good compromise.

As far as I remember though you can't see on the threads how high/low you are when you adjust it so how did you know that you are at 25mm?

Did you measure before and after (fender to ground)?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 06:16 AM   #20
Krelle
Lieutenant
Denmark
8
Rep
465
Posts

Drives: F30 335
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Denmark

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
Thanks! I will raise mine (Bilstein B14) next week because there are some nasty speed bumps in Gothenburg I can't clear even when taking them diagonally. But I think around 30mm lowering would be a pretty good compromise.

As far as I remember though you can't see on the threads how high/low you are when you adjust it so how did you know that you are at 25mm?

Did you measure before and after (fender to ground)?
Hi Rossifumi,
#¤% Damn I was in Gothenburg in February..
I put a piece of tape on each fender. Set a mark and used a home made fixed installation of a certain length + a caliper for a precise measurement.
( 5-10 ltr of Vpower in the tank only in order not to influence).
I lowered 50 mm, drove the car some and raised it 25mm.
/Krelle
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 06:31 AM   #21
Rossifumi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rossifumi's Avatar
Sweden
123
Rep
1,874
Posts

Drives: Panthera X
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Westeros

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krelle View Post
Hi Rossifumi,
#¤% Damn I was in Gothenburg in February..
I put a piece of tape on each fender. Set a mark and used a home made fixed installation of a certain length + a caliper for a precise measurement.
( 5-10 ltr of Vpower in the tank only in order not to influence).
I lowered 50 mm, drove the car some and raised it 25mm.
/Krelle
Thanks, but too late for me then as I have driven my car for over a year already at this height!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 06:49 AM   #22
Krelle
Lieutenant
Denmark
8
Rep
465
Posts

Drives: F30 335
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Denmark

iTrader: (0)

I thought so, I'd but I take it for a 10 minute ride anyway and re-check the adjustment.
That is "Fingerspitzgefühl" and you're within 1/10mm.

By the way. Do you plan to have it on dyno after the PPK install?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:39 AM.




f30post
f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST