F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > M Sport Performance Suspension - Labor hours
MINHS Auto Care Center
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #177
bananachipz
Captain
 
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Canada

Posts: 819
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
you would be over sprung and under dampened.

It's a kit, all or none apparently. But of course, sold separately!
That's what I don't f'in understand... the springs and dampers go f'in together. Why couldn't they just package them and call it a day?
bananachipz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #178
brandon @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
brandon @ eas's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i M-sport
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: So-Cal

Posts: 3,552
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
So what happens if you just add the Performance springs to a car that already has M-sport + Adaptive M? Is that the best OEM solution out there right now?
This is what I plan on doing. Thousands of people install lowering springs- over 20mm lower than stock, on stock NON sport dampers (I have done this previously with lack luster results). At least we have (A Sport dampers and (B Will only be going down another 10mm. I know it is not ideal, and many people here will hate on this idea, but I'm not going to the track, and I don't drive like a 18 year old in a lowered Honda Civic, so I am fine with it. Doesn't sound so catastrophic to me
brandon @ eas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #179
shivaswrath
Colonel
 
shivaswrath's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lost in NJ

Posts: 2,995
iTrader: (3)

My springs are IN!

Taking her in today...and leaving her with BMW through Xmas, so ill pick up next week and share thoughts/pictures.

Hate that I'm going outta town :-(
__________________
2012 335i Mineral Gray
M Performance Whore: PPK|Exhaust|Brakes|Performance Suspension Struts & Springs|LSD|Black Kidney Grilles|CF Spoiler and Mirror Caps|Bav Stage 1|400Ms|BMWF30.com
shivaswrath is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #180
SamS
Brigadier General
 
SamS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,509
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon @ eas View Post
This is what I plan on doing. Thousands of people install lowering springs- over 20mm lower than stock, on stock NON sport dampers (I have done this previously with lack luster results). At least we have (A Sport dampers and (B Will only be going down another 10mm. I know it is not ideal, and many people here will hate on this idea, but I'm not going to the track, and I don't drive like a 18 year old in a lowered Honda Civic, so I am fine with it. Doesn't sound so catastrophic to me
Per BMW, the M Performance suspension kit (I assume that means springs, too) can't be fitted to cars with Adaptive M: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783743

I'm sure you can put the springs on, but since BMW doesn't seem keen on the idea, I'm not going to bother.
__________________
SamS is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2012, 10:13 PM   #181
RPM90
Major General
 
Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 6,063
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Per BMW, the M Performance suspension kit (I assume that means springs, too) can't be fitted to cars with Adaptive M: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783743

I'm sure you can put the springs on, but since BMW doesn't seem keen on the idea, I'm not going to bother.
I missed that. Where does it say that the M Perf can't be fitted on cars with
M adaptive?

My other question would be, why? If you remove the adaptive dampers and spring, what prevents the install of the M Perf kit?
Is there something different with the mounting points/parts with M adaptive?
RPM90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2012, 11:24 PM   #182
SamS
Brigadier General
 
SamS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,509
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I missed that. Where does it say that the M Perf can't be fitted on cars with
M adaptive?
Follow the link I posted and read the sentence right above the picture of the red coil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
My other question would be, why? If you remove the adaptive dampers and spring, what prevents the install of the M Perf kit?
Is there something different with the mounting points/parts with M adaptive?
It probably has more to do with screwing up the car's coding.
__________________
SamS is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #183
shivaswrath
Colonel
 
shivaswrath's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lost in NJ

Posts: 2,995
iTrader: (3)

Finally done, full M Perf Suspension installed!

First lesson: the red springs AND strut kit MUST go together.

Second: I refuse to be a guinea pig again!

Driving Impressions:
This should be a requisite on all F30s! The overdampered, undersprung nature with the M sport springs is gone...this is perfectly dampened and sprung...like a kit should be.







__________________
2012 335i Mineral Gray
M Performance Whore: PPK|Exhaust|Brakes|Performance Suspension Struts & Springs|LSD|Black Kidney Grilles|CF Spoiler and Mirror Caps|Bav Stage 1|400Ms|BMWF30.com

Last edited by shivaswrath; 12-28-2012 at 10:12 PM.
shivaswrath is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #184
RPM90
Major General
 
Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 6,063
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Follow the link I posted and read the sentence right above the picture of the red coil.



It probably has more to do with screwing up the car's coding.
Read it. Thanks.

I too think it's just a coding issue, barring there any any actual mechanical/physical issues.
RPM90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-28-2012, 11:16 PM   #185
RPM90
Major General
 
Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 6,063
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
First lesson: the red springs AND strut kit MUST go together.

Second: I refuse to be a guinea pig again!

Driving Impressions:
This should be a requisite on all F30s! The overdampered, undersprung nature with the M sport springs is gone...this is perfectly dampened and sprung...like a kit should be.
Awesome. Glad to see you finally get the real kit sorted.
RPM90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2012, 01:17 AM   #186
nano10
Major
 
nano10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335i aka Kal-El
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lake Forest, CA

Posts: 1,019
iTrader: (3)

Really cool to see this resolved, more pics of full car in stance please
__________________
2013 335i Estoril Blue M Sport/ Coral Red Interior/ M Performance Red Brakes/ Enhanced Bluetooth/ Premium Audio/Performance Grills/BBS CX-R
nano10 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #187
bmrm396
Major
 
Drives: '14 F30 335i MSport
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: sD, CA

Posts: 1,332
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nano10
Really cool to see this resolved, more pics of full car in stance please
Ya, what he said ^^^
__________________
Formerly addicted to e46fanatics
bmrm396 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2012, 11:18 PM   #188
shivaswrath
Colonel
 
shivaswrath's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lost in NJ

Posts: 2,995
iTrader: (3)

When it stops snowing tmrw I certainly will...springs haven't settled yet so it's still sitting a little higher than it should be.

Drive is amazing...I can't tell you how happy I am with it.

It's smooth and not too bouncy, and even with the winter tires, manages to control the understeer much better than stock.
__________________
2012 335i Mineral Gray
M Performance Whore: PPK|Exhaust|Brakes|Performance Suspension Struts & Springs|LSD|Black Kidney Grilles|CF Spoiler and Mirror Caps|Bav Stage 1|400Ms|BMWF30.com
shivaswrath is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2012, 11:27 PM   #189
nano10
Major
 
nano10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335i aka Kal-El
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lake Forest, CA

Posts: 1,019
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
When it stops snowing tmrw I certainly will...springs haven't settled yet so it's still sitting a little higher than it should be.

Drive is amazing...I can't tell you how happy I am with it.

It's smooth and not too bouncy, and even with the winter tires, manages to control the understeer much better than stock.
Thanks for all the feedback. I wonder how much better it is over full OEM suspension?
__________________
2013 335i Estoril Blue M Sport/ Coral Red Interior/ M Performance Red Brakes/ Enhanced Bluetooth/ Premium Audio/Performance Grills/BBS CX-R
nano10 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #190
shivaswrath
Colonel
 
shivaswrath's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lost in NJ

Posts: 2,995
iTrader: (3)

Thumbs up 2012 335i with M Perf Suspension Spring/Struts - Pictures (after 100 miles)

Significantly better over the OEM base.

Can't comment on Sportline/M sport line, but I assume 30-40% stiffer?

This isn't as stiff as an Mitsu Evo.

Note it'll drop a little more in the front as I continue to drive....

some artsty fartsty angle shot too (it's too damn cold out for anymore, I'll post more end of week when I've put on a few more hundred miles).

__________________
2012 335i Mineral Gray
M Performance Whore: PPK|Exhaust|Brakes|Performance Suspension Struts & Springs|LSD|Black Kidney Grilles|CF Spoiler and Mirror Caps|Bav Stage 1|400Ms|BMWF30.com

Last edited by shivaswrath; 12-30-2012 at 02:07 PM.
shivaswrath is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2012, 11:41 PM   #191
nano10
Major
 
nano10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335i aka Kal-El
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lake Forest, CA

Posts: 1,019
iTrader: (3)

It looks damn cold! Thank you so much for posting these pics hope you are enjoying the ride! Did you sacrifice any comfort?
__________________
2013 335i Estoril Blue M Sport/ Coral Red Interior/ M Performance Red Brakes/ Enhanced Bluetooth/ Premium Audio/Performance Grills/BBS CX-R
nano10 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2012, 11:46 PM   #192
shivaswrath
Colonel
 
shivaswrath's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lost in NJ

Posts: 2,995
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nano10 View Post
It looks damn cold! Thank you so much for posting these pics hope you are enjoying the ride! Did you sacrifice any comfort?
not that much...yes, you'll feel the road imperfections a little more, but it's not noticeable or annoying. My wife has yet to say anything, and she HATED my Evo VIII, so I think 99% will be fine.

about 20% less firm than an M3...
__________________
2012 335i Mineral Gray
M Performance Whore: PPK|Exhaust|Brakes|Performance Suspension Struts & Springs|LSD|Black Kidney Grilles|CF Spoiler and Mirror Caps|Bav Stage 1|400Ms|BMWF30.com
shivaswrath is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2012, 11:48 PM   #193
nano10
Major
 
nano10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335i aka Kal-El
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lake Forest, CA

Posts: 1,019
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
not that much...yes, you'll feel the road imperfections a little more, but it's not noticeable or annoying. My wife has yet to say anything, and she HATED my Evo VIII, so I think 99% will be fine.

about 20% less firm than an M3...
Thanks
__________________
2013 335i Estoril Blue M Sport/ Coral Red Interior/ M Performance Red Brakes/ Enhanced Bluetooth/ Premium Audio/Performance Grills/BBS CX-R
nano10 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-31-2012, 02:33 AM   #194
sk515
New Member
 
Drives: 2013 AW 335i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: California

Posts: 16
iTrader: (0)

glad you finally got it all resolved! I'm tempted to get them, but I haven't found any one who went from M Sport to M Performance yet. Not sure if its worth it? Did these feel stiffer than the previous M Sport spring you had installed?
sk515 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-31-2012, 12:04 PM   #195
shivaswrath
Colonel
 
shivaswrath's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lost in NJ

Posts: 2,995
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk515
glad you finally got it all resolved! I'm tempted to get them, but I haven't found any one who went from M Sport to M Performance yet. Not sure if its worth it? Did these feel stiffer than the previous M Sport spring you had installed?
Oh yeah these area noticeably stiffer than the Sportline/M sport springs, but because they were matched for these struts, they weren't oversprung.

I would say its noticeably more planted than the Half-baked sport setup I had before...

If I had a stock sport suspension, it might be a difficult choice to justify nearly $3000 in labor+parts.
__________________
2012 335i Mineral Gray
M Performance Whore: PPK|Exhaust|Brakes|Performance Suspension Struts & Springs|LSD|Black Kidney Grilles|CF Spoiler and Mirror Caps|Bav Stage 1|400Ms|BMWF30.com
shivaswrath is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #196
av98
Registered
 
Drives: 05 E46 330i ZHP
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 2
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Significantly better over the OEM base.

Can't comment on Sportline/M sport line, but I assume 30-40% stiffer?

This isn't as stiff as an Mitsu Evo.

Note it'll drop a little more in the front as I continue to drive....

some artsty fartsty angle shot too (it's too damn cold out for anymore, I'll post more end of week when I've put on a few more hundred miles).




Looks great!

Last edited by av98; 01-01-2013 at 01:03 PM.
av98 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #197
bananachipz
Captain
 
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Canada

Posts: 819
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Oh yeah these area noticeably stiffer than the Sportline/M sport springs, but because they were matched for these struts, they weren't oversprung.

I would say its noticeably more planted than the Half-baked sport setup I had before...

If I had a stock sport suspension, it might be a difficult choice to justify nearly $3000 in labor+parts.
Glad you got yours worked out. Still waiting for springs.. The ARB's are in.
bananachipz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #198
bmrm396
Major
 
Drives: '14 F30 335i MSport
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: sD, CA

Posts: 1,332
iTrader: (2)

More pics more pics
__________________
Formerly addicted to e46fanatics
bmrm396 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST