F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Mouse turds!
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-30-2015, 03:15 PM   #1
Damn Dirty Ape
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 2015 Infiniti Q50S
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern 1/3 of Illinois

iTrader: (5)

Mouse turds!

Nice surprise when I backed my 328 out of the heated/cooled basement garage.. about 20 mouse turds scattered around, console, dash, and little spots of mouse piss.

It had been parked for about a month, so off to find some traps to put around each wheel I guess and wipe down everything with APC too.

SMH.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 03:42 PM   #2
Avenged328i
Second Lieutenant
7
Rep
299
Posts

Drives: 14 328i
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Bummer. I once had my car parked for about a week, and when I returned I went out for a drive.
I started seeing black ants here and there. Dash, windshield, panels, everywhere.
Then... I popped my trunk and wham! Millions and millions of ants.
My fault that I had forgotten I left a box of donuts in my trunk (don't ask).
Ants were digging it all up.
took about a month until all the ants were out of my car.

Very annoying.

Good luck with your situation.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 04:21 PM   #3
smithf32
Colonel
smithf32's Avatar
United_States
434
Rep
2,945
Posts

Drives: '14 F32 428 MSport
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to smithf32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenged328i View Post
Bummer. I once had my car parked for about a week, and when I returned I went out for a drive.
I started seeing black ants here and there. Dash, windshield, panels, everywhere.
Then... I popped my trunk and wham! Millions and millions of ants.
My fault that I had forgotten I left a box of donuts in my trunk (don't ask).
Ants were digging it all up.
took about a month until all the ants were out of my car.

Very annoying.

Good luck with your situation.
Eeewwwwwwwwwww

__________________

2014 F32 428i XDrive - MSport, Premium, Cold Weather, Drivers Assistance, Navi - Click for build thread
Mods (so far): 435i Exhaust Conversion, MPerf Diffuser, MPerf Black Grills, Trunk Lip, BMS Stage 1, Coding
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 05:07 PM   #4
ft1330
Major
65
Rep
1,052
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SE PA

iTrader: (0)

That sucks about the mice, how the hell is this even possible? Where do they get in from? You would think BMW had some grilles built into the entry points.

I have tons of mice around here, but none made it into the car yet. The house is another story. I spent a long time fixing all the holes in my foundation walls to keep them away and it looks like it's worked...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 05:29 PM   #5
Jacobite
Banned
No_Country
11
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: F30 328i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: PNW

iTrader: (0)

Get a cat.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2015, 05:45 PM   #6
ft1330
Major
65
Rep
1,052
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SE PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
Get a cat.
Cats are too lazy and inefficient. Last time I had mice, I set up a regular plain old trap with peanut butter. Within about 30 seconds of me leaving I had a catch...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 05:51 PM   #7
Fronzdan
Major
51
Rep
1,065
Posts

Drives: 335i xDrive MSport 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

You should do a thorough checkout of...damn...everything. Those little bastards chew on everything. I know a couple people that had this problem with a car and a tractor. They chewed through hoses and wiring.

Sucks, hope everything is ok.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 06:06 PM   #8
Damn Dirty Ape
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 2015 Infiniti Q50S
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern 1/3 of Illinois

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
Get a cat.
Cat died 3 weeks ago. Was upstairs though.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 06:07 PM   #9
Damn Dirty Ape
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 2015 Infiniti Q50S
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern 1/3 of Illinois

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330 View Post
Cats are too lazy and inefficient. Last time I had mice, I set up a regular plain old trap with peanut butter. Within about 30 seconds of me leaving I had a catch...
Getting a pack of traps this evening. Hoping to find some bodies soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 06:08 PM   #10
Damn Dirty Ape
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 2015 Infiniti Q50S
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern 1/3 of Illinois

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
You should do a thorough checkout of...damn...everything. Those little bastards chew on everything. I know a couple people that had this problem with a car and a tractor. They chewed through hoses and wiring.

Sucks, hope everything is ok.
I didn't see anything other than turds and dried piss drops. No insulation or anything around that I found. Yuck. My mom had a car a wys back a mouse got in and actually chewed on the lip of the instrument cluster hood. No way to fix and was an eyesore right in front of you.

Last edited by Damn Dirty Ape; 03-30-2015 at 06:59 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 06:09 PM   #11
xlover
Private First Class
8
Rep
166
Posts

Drives: 2014 335 xdrive 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
Get a cat.
+1

Don't worry about the efficiency you will get more satisfaction from seeing their beaten carcas' left on display by the cat. sends a message to the rest of them about messing with your car

In all seriousness how did they get into the car, i know they are not watertight but they should be sealed pretty well, might want to check around for any frayed wiring.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 06:13 PM   #12
Jacobite
Banned
No_Country
11
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: F30 328i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: PNW

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape View Post
Cat died 3 weeks ago. Was upstairs though.
That's what you get for leaving poor kitty alone for 4 weeks. I bet a dead cat smells worse than mouse piss.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 06:29 PM   #13
kent11202
First Lieutenant
United_States
28
Rep
341
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape View Post
Nice surprise when I backed my 328 out of the heated/cooled basement garage.. about 20 mouse turds scattered around, console, dash, and little spots of mouse piss.

It had been parked for about a month, so off to find some traps to put around each wheel I guess and wipe down everything with APC too.

SMH.
Those little buggers can get into almost any tight spot. Like you mentioned, wipe down everything. Traps by the wheels is a good idea (bait them with peanut butter - crunchy is best - and place traps along the walls because they are, by nature, critters that hug walls while moving around. I'd do all of this sooner than later as noted below.

My neighbor next door had a Porsche Carrera convert, an MBZ convert and a large Jag sedan. The critters ate the wiring on the Porsche - $5,000. Then they did the same to the Jag - $5,000. Then they went BACK to the Porsche and did it again for another $5,000 re-wiring job. Oddly, then never touched the MBZ
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 07:00 PM   #14
Damn Dirty Ape
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 2015 Infiniti Q50S
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern 1/3 of Illinois

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
+1

Don't worry about the efficiency you will get more satisfaction from seeing their beaten carcas' left on display by the cat. sends a message to the rest of them about messing with your car

In all seriousness how did they get into the car, i know they are not watertight but they should be sealed pretty well, might want to check around for any frayed wiring.
They climb the tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 07:01 PM   #15
Damn Dirty Ape
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 2015 Infiniti Q50S
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern 1/3 of Illinois

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent11202 View Post
Those little buggers can get into almost any tight spot. Like you mentioned, wipe down everything. Traps by the wheels is a good idea (bait them with peanut butter - crunchy is best - and place traps along the walls because they are, by nature, critters that hug walls while moving around. I'd do all of this sooner than later as noted below.

My neighbor next door had a Porsche Carrera convert, an MBZ convert and a large Jag sedan. The critters ate the wiring on the Porsche - $5,000. Then they did the same to the Jag - $5,000. Then they went BACK to the Porsche and did it again for another $5,000 re-wiring job. Oddly, then never touched the MBZ
Wow. I now have 4 new traditional traps. I don't know about the glue traps since they don't have any bait on them?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 07:03 PM   #16
Damn Dirty Ape
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 2015 Infiniti Q50S
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern 1/3 of Illinois

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
That's what you get for leaving poor kitty alone for 4 weeks. I bet a dead cat smells worse than mouse piss.

Cat never went into the garage. Died of old age. It was bitchy the last year or so. When it died the ground was frozen hard, had to put in the freezer for about 10 days. Yeah I know.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 07:04 PM   #17
Damn Dirty Ape
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 2015 Infiniti Q50S
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern 1/3 of Illinois

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenged328i View Post
Bummer. I once had my car parked for about a week, and when I returned I went out for a drive.
I started seeing black ants here and there. Dash, windshield, panels, everywhere.
Then... I popped my trunk and wham! Millions and millions of ants.
My fault that I had forgotten I left a box of donuts in my trunk (don't ask).
Ants were digging it all up.
took about a month until all the ants were out of my car.

Very annoying.

Good luck with your situation.
Oh man. Now that would be a nightmare.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 07:07 PM   #18
snowghost
Colonel
snowghost's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
2,173
Posts

Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Hantavirus
__________________
F30 Sapphire Black 335i 6MT|2PE|4AB|LCSW|ZDH|ZMM|ZPP|ZCW|ZDA|ZDB|ZTP|5AC|4 15|688|Dinan Stage 1 Suspension and Shockware ECU tune
Previously - F30 335i, E46 M3, E39 530i, E46 325i
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 08:51 PM   #19
snj49er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
44
Rep
241
Posts

Drives: '14 335i
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape View Post


Oh man. Now that would be a nightmare.
What you want to hope never happens is that one of those little bastards climbs into your ventilation system, walks into the fan's squirrel cage and runs off to die in some distant piece of ductwork. Trust me, that is not a fix you'll want to put off.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 09:00 PM   #20
Jacobite
Banned
No_Country
11
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: F30 328i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: PNW

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj49er View Post
What you want to hope never happens is that one of those little bastards climbs into your ventilation system, walks into the fan's squirrel cage and runs off to die in some distant piece of ductwork. Trust me, that is not a fix you'll want to put off.
And the interior of the car will never be quite as rattle free after you have removed so many major components aft of the firewall just to get at all the ductwork.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 10:47 AM   #21
ft1330
Major
65
Rep
1,052
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SE PA

iTrader: (0)

Do yourself a favor and gets the slightly updated traditional trap version. This one: http://www.amazon.com/Victor-Easy-Mo.../dp/B000HJ79Y4

I don't care about the comments, people don't know how to use them. Buy a dozen of them or more. You can find them at little hardware stores.

Use very little peanut butter, enough to just fill the little bait holder rectangle thing. set them up on the "sensitive" setting. Place them around your garage with the pedal facing the wall, 1/4 inch away from the wall, by groups of 2. Spacing between 2 traps in the same group: about 1-2 inches so they can't jump the traps. Place them around your tires too. When you've trapped a bunch of mice the next morning, just trash the traps that were triggered and replace them. You will get another set of mice the next morning. Continue until you don't trap any more for 3 days. Then make sure to plug any entry points in your walls.

I have a lot of experience with exterminating mice. I've had so many of them. These traps are cheap and extremely efficient if you set them up right. You have to think like a mouse when you decide on placement: mice always run near walls and look for the shortest path to anything... If you find droppings that's a great clue as to where you should set up a trap. I've decimated entire families in 1 night... Gross but very satisfying.

Other types of traps are just a waste of time and money.

BTW: don't set a trap inside your car unless you like mouse blood stains.

Last edited by ft1330; 03-31-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 01:16 PM   #22
Fast400
Private First Class
Fast400's Avatar
11
Rep
151
Posts

Drives: 435ix AC Schnitzer
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330 View Post
That sucks about the mice, how the hell is this even possible? Where do they get in from? You would think BMW had some grilles built into the entry points.

I have tons of mice around here, but none made it into the car yet. The house is another story. I spent a long time fixing all the holes in my foundation walls to keep them away and it looks like it's worked...
There is no place for them to get in...unless you left the window open
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:12 PM.




f30post
f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST